How did you come across MI?

I know a lot of people here will have started from the original game, but it also seems lots of people first played Curse.
So I'm curious as to how you first came across the games and which was your first to play?

My brother got Curse of Monkey Island for the PC, and installed it on our computer, and I just started my own save on it, seeing what it was like, and I instantly fell in love with the humour and storyline. Then I sought out the first two games and played the 3 through in order before I finally foudn a copy of Escape.

Comments

• edited June 2009
    My brother showed SMI for me.
  • edited June 2009
    I'm ashamed to say it,but I haven't even heard of Lucasarts until CMI came out. I was a Sierra fanboy, and saw nothing else. After playing CMI, I bought something called "Lucasarts Archive III" that had "the dig", "full throttle", some starwars games, and "monkey island madness" cd, that had both of the first MIs. I finished FT first, and the 2 MI after that (The dig took me a little while to finish, up to 2002 :P). anyway, after that I bought more lucasarts game, and finished pretty much every LEC adventure game there was (expect the first Maniac Mansion)
  • edited June 2009
    My friends and I used to swap pirated Amiga games at school and one day I was given 4 disks with the words Monkey Island written on them. I played it, loved it, bought the original, bought the sequel, bought Last Crusade, bought Fate of Atlantis, bought Curse, bought EMI, etc etc etc.
  • edited June 2009
    I'd heard about the games a few times online, but since they were already pretty old, and I'd never heard of eBay or pirating, I couldn't do much about it.

Then I learned about pirating, and thought that the Secret of Monkey Island was such an old game that it wouldn't matter if I got it for free. I really enjoyed it, and later downloaded the sequel. I didn't download the other two games, because my conenction couldn't handle it, and I was suspicous of direct downloads of CD-ROM games.

A few years later, I saw the Curse of Monkey Island in a shop and, having developed a moral code that included not stealing computer games, was really happy for the opportunity to legally obtain a Monkey Island game. The only thing I regret is not getting Grim Fandango while I was there.

I've never played Escape From Monkey Island, and don't really have any desire to.

Since I regret not paying for the Secret of Monkey Island, I'll definitely get the remake when it comes out.
  • edited June 2009
    My dad got it off a friend way back in 1991 for the Amiga 500 (pirated of course) and that was my introduction to MI and point n' click games in general
  • edited June 2009
    Came across it in a video game shop (well, both video games and computers), back in oh... '91, I think.
    It was the Amiga version of the game. I had no idea what it was about, I didn't know the genre or anything. But I had to get it because of the big box and nice box art :D
    Yeah, I was young back then.
  • edited June 2009
    My friend bought Secret of the Monkey Island and LeChuck's Revenge to Amiga500 and we played those together. It was easier that way, because we were just school boys and our skill in English wasn't good at that time.

Then some years later I bought CD which had both to my PC.
  • edited June 2009
    My dad was very into adventures since before I was born. He introduced me to all of them. I inherited a stack of old Rainbow Magazines for the Tandy Color Computer 3. They have pages and pages of code of adventure games that you can type up yourself and run on a CoCo (which I also inherited!).
  • edited June 2009
    my aunt and my dad had the two first MI and some Indy games. me and my brother used to play them to death.
  • edited June 2009
    me and my brother kept Curse of Monkey Island as a Christmas gift... since that moment i loved MI and played also first two games; after that, played EfMI... I LOVE Monkey Island !!!
  • edited June 2009
    I think it was in 92 my dad had the sudden urge to buy all these Indiana Jones LucasArts adventure games, and I've always been into pirates so he got LeChucks Revenge for me. I played the hell out of that game, then I bought the Secret of Monkey Island on CD had remastered music on it... played the hell out of that too.
  • I had a demo of Grim Fandango when I was about 10-ish and got the game for my next birthday. There was an advert for CMI on the back of the manual. I then got something called the Monkey Island Bounty Pack which contained all three (at that point) games.

I still remember when I first watched that cutscene in Elaine's mansion that happens behind closed doors (so to speak). The fact you've only got dialogue and the sentence bar makes it so funny.
  • edited June 2009
    Let's see...

I was already acquainted with LucasArts games because I'd played versions of them in not-very-many colours on a friend's PC, and when they came out in many more colours for the Amiga, I picked them up. I have fond memories of games like Zak McKracken, Maniac Mansion, Loom, and so on.

I fell in love with Secret of Monkey Island as soon as I played it, and got it as quickly as I could for the Amiga, on which I played it to death. Then I proceeded to get many other LA adventures, including Fate of Atlantis, Lechuck's Revenge, and so on.

Finally I got myself a VGA PC (as they were all the rage at the time) and I picked up Lechuck's Revenge for that, too. And a while after that, a version of Secret of Monkey Island on CD with enhancced music came about, so I picked that up too.

I was really into LucasArts adventures way back when, so I played them all in order from their very earliest ones. I played the Sierra games too, but I can't say I was half as fond of thhose, though I do have fond memories of Quest for Glory, if nothing else.

So many great games out for the PC at that time though, and the way technology was progressing, every new year became a brand new wonder. Tech doesn't move as fast today in today's console dominated market, but the ideas in the indie and small company markets are flowing thick and fast.

Bless 'em.
  • edited June 2009
    I read about it in a gaming magazine, where it was listed as #6 in the funniest video games of all time. Sam and Max Hit the Road made #1 and Day of the Tentacle made #2. But Monkey Island caught my attention with the shot of Guybrush and the diamond ring, and the article calling it Naked Gun with pirates. And I love that type of humor.

When I got a PC, I remembered that article, and looked those games up online, and that's how I found Monkey Island.
  • edited June 2009
  • edited June 2009
    -10 points for MobyGames image blocking. Just put the URL there.
  • edited June 2009
    oopsa
  • edited June 2009
    Heard about it while reading a review of the Journey to El Dorado game, which recommended that I buy Monkey island instead. Played the 1st and 2nd from a friend's copy, then got instantly hooked.
  • edited June 2009
    Can't remember HOW I got to MI, but my first acquaintance with MI was Curse :) And I've kinda fell in love with its graphics, secretly hoping they will some day make something similar again.
  • edited June 2009
    The first time I played was when I was about 12 or 13... MI had come out about 1 or 2 years prior. I was visiting my Father (divorced parents FTL) He lived near this video rental place that also rented out video games including PC games... I rented The Secret of Monkey Island, and was hooked... after playing the game all that weekend I returned it and saved up my money to buy my own copy...
  • edited June 2009
    I had just played The Dig after digging it up from a bunch of old cd I had around. Although I had to use a walkthrough for basically every puzzle in that game, I still fell in love with it and wanted more, so I went to the video game store to pick up something similar. That happened to be CoMI, and that basically cemented my adventure game obsession.
  • edited June 2009
    I read a review in Amiga Format and found it very interesting. When I finally got to play it on my Amiga 500 I felt it love with it.

The sound, the graphics which were amazing back then and the fantastic atmosphere and story... And then the humour. There were few games so entertaining back then and even more these days.

TSOMI is a complete classic and I played it during a few hours each day then I got stuck and came back to it a few weeks later. There were no internet and guides back then, so solving the puzzles and getting to the end was an amazing experience.

I don't know if it is because I played it during my teenage years, but I feel so nostalgic for the experience of playing it for the first time...

Monkey Island rocks!
  • edited June 2009
    played every advent ever made since day one .. infocom... then stuff like sierra's MYSTERY HOUSE...
    maniac mansion lead me to lucas i think tho
  • edited June 2009
    When we (my family) got our very first 2X CD-ROM Drive for our Tandy PC on Christmas of 1994 we also got The Secret of Monkey Island, LOOM, and The Secret Weapons of the Luftwafe (all of course from LA). The spirit of the game captured me (by which I of course mean I have been possessed) and never let go. What can I say? :cool:
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    A friend loaned me the disks one day at school (along with a photocopy of the code wheel!) and told me it was "like playing a cartoon!" and it made me realize many things, both about what is actually funny, and what a video game was capable of. My love for that game also started a weird chain of events which ended with me here working on the fifth one. So that's kinda crazy.
  • edited June 2009
    Jake wrote: »
    A friend loaned me the disks one day at school (along with a photocopy of the code wheel!) and told me it was "like playing a cartoon!" and it made me realize many things, both about what is actually funny, and what a video game was capable of. My love for that game also started a weird chain of events which ended with me here working on the fifth one. So that's kinda crazy.

Man, I had a photocopy of the codewheel too. My dad got the game from a friend when I was about six or seven. It was sometime around '91 or '92. I sat down one Saturday and played the game all the way through from start to finish, and I'll never forget it.

It wasn't until some years later.. '96 or '97 I think, that I even found out about LeChuck's Revenge. I got it in the back of a computer gaming magazine on one of those CDs they'd include, as well as a demo for The Curse of Monkey Island. That was a great day. Still have that CD too! :)
  • edited June 2009
    Jake wrote: »

I bet you never foresaw that back in the day, eh ;)
    Must be something insane though, to be contributing to such a series that means a lot to people for various reasons.
  • edited June 2009
    Got the demo of Curse of Monkey Island with a computer-magazine. Fell in love then and there;) Must have been in '97 or '98, as we stopped getting the magazine after '98 =P
    Must have been only 10 years or so at the time.
    Since then I've played all the games. Played SoMI and LeChucks Revenge in '04, when I discovered ScummVM.
  • edited June 2009
    Two of my friends talked about Monkey Island a lot while they were both trying to complete CMI (they both started on SMI).. they talked about it so much I bought CMI and to this day it's still up there and one of (if not 'THE') best gaming experiences I'd ever had... I went back to get the first two and bought the fourth when it was released.
  • edited June 2009
    An uncle brought me a box set containing Secret of Monkey Island, Ducktales, Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe and The Rocketeer. It came on five and a quarter inch discs. I instantly fell in love with the game! Can't wait for the XBox360 remake to come out!!
  • edited June 2009
    Waaay back in the 80's when I was in grade 8, our computer teacher used to let us bring video games from home to play on the Comodore 64's. One guy brought in the first Maniac Mansion, and I was instantly hooked on Lucasfilm adventure games.

When my dad got the family a Tandy 1000(tm) one year, I got the Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade adventure game, then later Zack McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders. Finished and loved both games thoroughly.

When Monkey Island suddenly appeared on my local computer store shelf, my heart almost jumped out of my throat. A new game in the style of those other 3 games I liked (at the time I didn't know they were called 'adventure games') and the box art looked like candy... only problem was, it required 640k an my Tandy 1000 only had 256!

I talked to my dad about it, and it turns out he was just looking for an excuse to upgrade the memory on that thing anyway. So after an annoying ordeal where the local shop tried unsuccessfully a few times to upgrade it, I finally had a computer that could play MI. I unwrapped the game on Christmas day that year, and the rest is history.
  • edited June 2009
    I used to subscribe to PC Gamer magazine for a number of years when I was still in middle/high school. Of course I always got the demo disc and played every game they offered on it to see what I liked and disliked. Well they happened to have a demo disc with CMI on it, I played it and liked it a lot. Unfortunately we didn't have internet at the time, and here in Vermont at the time there were practically no places to buy PC games.

Fast forward years later, I just happened to see a copy on the shelf in some store and grabbed it. Played the whole thing threw and then eventually played all of the 1st through from some LucasArts adventure pack (I couldn't find the 2nd game). Then bought EMI when it came out, and eventually, finally got a copy of the 2nd online and finished that.

Moral of the story - demos and demo discs were very important before the internet.
  • edited June 2009
    Down on top of it .....GRRR GRRR
  • edited June 2009
    I first came across MI in July or so of 1997, for it was in that time frame that PC Gamer's July 1997 cover story on COMI made me intrigued (BTW, if someone has a PDF of it, or can bug the PCG staff to create eMagazines, I'd greatly appreciate it).

Then, fast-forward to July 2001, and the PCG demo disc that had ALL FULL VERSIONS of games, including SOMI. Played it, loved it, and plan on buying the new XBLA version, and maybe even the new PC version too, I dunno.

BJ
  • edited June 2009
    I had played a game called "Red Jack: Revenge of the Brethren" which had some great visuals but was annoying in several ways and the storyline sort of collapsed at the end. I was looking for something better and I think I just googled "Pirate Game" and CMI was what popped up.
  • edited June 2009
    How did you come across MI?

How did you know about that?!

:eek:

;)
  • edited June 2009
    Hahaha

it took me a while, but i eventually got it :P
  • edited June 2009
    I was barely old enough to even read when dad started to get games for our brand new computer - SMI being one of them. I'd watch him play and he would have to read out the subtitles for me. I was totally hooked on the story and the humour and by the time Lechuck's Revenge was out I was filling my grade 2 school friends in daily on the story and acting like Guybrush was my personal friend. I didn't actually play a full monkey island game by myself until CM came out, and by then the quirky humour, love for storytelling and attraction to funny slightly awkward men was completely ingrained in me.
  • edited June 2009
    Just played thru myst 3, looked around for some easy downloadable point n click games, found the first two.
  • edited June 2009
    I first stumbled across the MI games when I got Lucasarts Archive III for christmas one year, which contained the first 2 and a demo of the 3rd among other games
Sign in to comment in this discussion.