not replaying the old games

perhaps it's just me...

I'm hugely excited about the new TMI, but despite owning 2, 3 and 4 I don't really want to replay them.

I love my screen savers, MI desktop and ringtones, but the fun of the games was spending hours trying to figure out the puzzles....trying everything with everything and everywhere. Once you've done that, the enjoyment is mostly gone..apart from all the humour.

Doesn't anyone else feel like that? Just as easy to watch someone else replay it on you tube to see the whole game, but the puzzles was what made it so appealing to me (along with the graphics and the humour and the adventure and the music and.....)

Comments

• edited June 2009
    Not me; I love revisiting the worlds. Sometimes I discover funny lines I missed.

And the GREAT thing about playing as you get older is that a lot of the time you forget how you solved a puzzle in the first place, especially if it's been a few years since you played, and you have to start from first principles again.

Actually that's about the only good thing about getting older...
  • edited June 2009
    KB57 wrote: »
    [...] you forget how you solved a puzzle in the first place [...]

I have a bit of a mild memory disorder so this actually happens to me a lot, on the bright side I get to figure out how to solve puzzles again. Somehow I remember the story, but the solutions to most of the puzzles evade me.

This is a boon though, and the only time I've ever felt burdened by it was in The Longest Journey, using that contraption with the duck tire to get the key off the track. Auuuuugh, I HATE THAT PUZZLE. I actually had to write the solution down just so that I wouldn't have to face it on my Longest Journey replays.
  • edited June 2009
    Yeah, first thing I do once I end a good adventure game is replaying it again. Two or three times if it's Telltale, due to its length.
  • I agree, when having stress at work or being depressed I always turn to a weekend on MI! Especially with the guru Herman Toothroot teaching me about colors in the forest!:cool:
  • edited June 2009
    Especially with the guru Herman Toothroot teaching me about colors in the forest!:cool:

That part pissed me off when I played it the first time, heh.
  • edited June 2009
    I like replaying the old games every now and then. Even though I can probably play Sam & Max Hit the Road with my eyes closed, I still enjoy it for its story and characters. Replayability is definitely lower for adventure games than, say an action game or strategy game, but its still there in a similar form to going back to watch a film you've seen before. The first-time impact of it has gone, but its still fun. I'm currently replaying through CoMI, and I intend to try EMI again soon after (granted this will only be the second time I've played EMI)

Honestly, I envy people with not-so-good memories, who tend to forget what happens in films/TV/games over a few months. My mother's like that, so even if she's seen a film before, she would have forgotten it and thus happily get that first-time feel again.
  • edited June 2009
    Replaying adventure games I'd already completed always felt like rereading a good book to me. :)
  • edited June 2009
    I've just started replaying SMI and I'm finding it a challenge still. Oh sure I remember the story and some of the more memorable puzzles but there's plenty that I forgotten!
  • edited June 2009
    Replaying them is great fun for me. It's been years since I last played any of them.
  • edited June 2009
    I always enjoy replaying old games, in particular old SCUMM games.

When ToMI was announced, after preordering I started (and finished today) a "refresh course" on the four MI games...

Productive week, right? ;)
  • edited June 2009
    S@bre wrote: »
    Replayability is definitely lower for adventure games than, say an action game or strategy game, but its still there in a similar form to going back to watch a film you've seen before. The first-time impact of it has gone, but its still fun.

Replay value in adventure games is heavily underestimated. What a good adventure should offer (and Telltale often accomplishes - just have a look at The Last Resort) is a rich, unique world with many different possibilities of interaction and lots of significant dialogue lines: the average player usually misses much of all this content the first time, and the slow pace of the gameplay allows a deeper and equally entertaining second exploration.
    On the other hand, action and strategy games offer an experience which is much more repetitive than expected: you just rush out through all the missions you've already finished, often without even trying to look for other solutions.
    By the way, to stay in topic, I'm replaying both LeChuck's Revenge and Curse... Just to feel the warmth of that very special Caraibbean atmosphere.
  • edited June 2009
    It's hard for me to replay Monkey Island sometimes, because they are so good that I want to be fully immersed on them and play for hours with no interruption, which isn't always possible.

As is the case with some posters here I remember most of the story and puzzles, but there's stuff that you forget, so it is always fun to replay those games.

I want to replay COMI now, just to see the amazing graphics and dialogues. It's is such a beautiful game!

What I think has never been fully developed in adventure games is multiple paths and different endings.

If games had more of those they would be much more fun to replay. TSOMI was very good because you could finish many puzzles in different order without feeling stuck most of the time.

That's the sort of feeling TT should work on, but giving us more option to solve puzzles and different paths.

Maybe now that adventures seem to be en vogue again will start to see new developments in its gameplay.
  • edited June 2009
    I was replaying SMI and MI2 before I heard anything about SMI:SE or ToMI. Infact I beat both of them on the same day, June 1st, then checked my email and read "We're making a new Monkey Island game!" and thought it was a joke. Thankfully it was not... cuz I dont tihnk it would have been very funny to me after being in the "Monkey Island Zone". I'm re-replaying MI2 now, I dont want to re-replay SMI so that when I play SMI:SE it will still be semi new to me.
  • edited June 2009
    i stick to mainly playing oldgames.. its odd but they have just a class that cant be beat or compared to in the new gamin industry to often.

the puzzles of word games like infocoms wishbringer or zork series , combined later with graphics to make the first few kings quests or what not leading to a click method which killed typing(aka parser interface)
    this gen is where the slope went up high then dropped down low after games loss quality of depth for visual stimuli.

sigh

ive helped run oldgames servers with abandonware n such as "homeoftheunderdogs" ..

anyways i love the classics... and its a THRILL to try to get some to work on modern os's

try the entire video cd era... when games were 10 disks using odd codecs from win95/98 such as tex murphy(needs a remake by TTG!) and even games like gabriel knight 93238423.. ahem 3..
  • edited June 2009
    Actually I personally just took a speed trial on SMI to see if I could, in fact, beat it under an hour. 59 minutes later I was extremely satisfied with myself. :cool:

I haven't played them recently, but I do like to take the games up from time to time despite having beat them all several times already.

During my play-through I actually even discovered some bugs...which may or may not have resulted from using ScummVM.
  • edited June 2009
    I've been planning to replay CoMI for 3 years - and maybe I won't do it now due to the new content.

If I had the time though, I'd be midway in LeChuck's Revenge already :)
  • edited June 2009
    I tried, only to discover how massive the world was and was overwhelmed

I just dont have enough time :(
  • edited June 2009
    I hate it when I remember the wrong parts of a puzzle so I go off on the complete wrong path when I replay the game... That happens to me often
  • edited June 2009
    I properly will replay through them all a week before TOMI comes out. I will however be getting a save game off the net for EMI to skip the horrors that was Monkey Kombat as I just don't have the patience to write every little move combination and its just very time consuming.
  • edited June 2009
    Monkey Kombat wasnt that hard was it, i remember as a kid i wrote em all down

Dont have any specific memories of finding it hard...
  • edited June 2009
    Shiversul wrote: »
    Monkey Kombat wasnt that hard was it, i remember as a kid i wrote em all down

Dont have any specific memories of finding it hard...

Trust me it was, plus with every new game the movesets change so if you have moves written down previously from a past playthrough you have start over again and write down the movesets.
  • edited June 2009
    Wasnt it just like rock paper scissors?
  • edited June 2009
    5 positions, each positions beats another 2.

In my recent playthrough, I managed to get all the necessary moves in 4 fights before going to duel JoJo Jr.

I find helpful to have this chart at hand to complete for easy reference:

monkey_kombat_small.jpg

http://www.worldofmi.com/imageviewer.php?image=thegames/monkey4/monkey_kombat.jpg
  • edited June 2009
    will replay all four games before the new one.
  • edited June 2009
    The only one I really want to replay is the original, but will wait for the Special Edition for that.

Do we know any more specific release date than the vague "Mid Summer 2009?"

When would Mid-Summer be in California?
  • edited June 2009
    Did you ever read a book more than once? For me, it's like that. Sometimes there are parts I missed, things I'd forgotten, and so on. It's still fun to go back and enjoy a good story from time to time. I usually replay the LucasArts adventures at least once a year.
  • edited June 2009
    Shiversul wrote: »
    I tried, only to discover how massive the world was and was overwhelmed

I just dont have enough time :(

Spent all today playing through Curse again
    Damn, i love it sooo much

I laughed so hard when Guybrush chooses the anchor over Murray
  • edited June 2009
    I've played through curse again, and am partly through LeChucks Revenge.
    I am waiting for the SE to replay the original though.
  • edited June 2009
    i replayed mi last week after the anouncement of mi5, now im playing mi2 ... i love the games, there are some cool things i didnt remember ... i cant wait for mi5 to come out
  • edited June 2009
    perhaps it's just me...

I'm hugely excited about the new TMI, but despite owning 2, 3 and 4 I don't really want to replay them.

I love my screen savers, MI desktop and ringtones, but the fun of the games was spending hours trying to figure out the puzzles....trying everything with everything and everywhere. Once you've done that, the enjoyment is mostly gone..apart from all the humour.

Doesn't anyone else feel like that? Just as easy to watch someone else replay it on you tube to see the whole game, but the puzzles was what made it so appealing to me (along with the graphics and the humour and the adventure and the music and.....)

I replayed the whole lot now. I had an inkling of what to do, but i'd forgotten what to do with alot of things in MI1/2 (it's about 5-6 years since I last played them and alots happened since then) and in MI3 I knew vaguely where to go, but forgot a few steps and had to work it out again. MI4 was always very easy anyway.

I think part of the enjoyment is the dialogue and the jokes and just the feeling of the MI universe. It's much more fun exploring it a second, third or fourth time than sitting back and watching a makeshift cartoon of it.
  • edited June 2009
    I played all 4 again over christmas, it really made me crave a new monkey island game but when I googled to search for news on any new games it appeared to be a lost cause:( I have been looking every now and then on the off chance, then the other day I googled money island and I was shocked to see they are bringing a new game and a remake, I just couldnt believe it lol!! Its hard to believe just a few weeks ago it seemed so unlikely, and know we have less than a month to wait!!
  • edited June 2009
    I stopped replaying the games soon after Escape came out mainly because I had played them too often. I think I cracked 100 times for both MI1 and MI2... Within one year... 5 years in a row...

When I heard about ToMI at first I didn't feel like repaying them again. But yesterday I couldn't get to sleep. So I set up a little MI1.

I spend 1 hour for journeying to Monkey Island maniacally searching for the recipe because I couldn't remember that ... well you and now I know where the recipe is and where to get the key.

Well, that didn't get me to sleep but revived the joy of playing the games. It was the second to none (even in 256 colors) atmosphere, humouring and charming characters, the overall setting in the Caribbean... Next is my second favorte MI2. But I think I will skip MI3 because in my humble opion that is where the original series has a great hole in it both for atmosphere, humour and character (except for Murray).

Wishing, TTG games would run on my EEE PC or at least all of them would be out on NDS:
    Michael
  • edited June 2009
    I replay 3 and 4 all the time. I really enjoyed the first two games, Monkey island one far more, but I am watiing for the SE voice overs before I play them again.
  • edited June 2009
    doodo! wrote: »
    I replay 3 and 4 all the time. I really enjoyed the first two games, Monkey island one far more, but I am watiing for the SE voice overs before I play them again.

LeChuck's Revenge is your least favourite of the series?!?!?
  • edited June 2009
    yes
Sign in to comment in this discussion.