It's Fine...

edited December 2014 in Minecraft: Story Mode

Whilst I'm not entirely sure what the story will be like and how it's going to play out, as well as considering Minecraft is mostly assumed to have protagonists who are mute, and such. Plus I don't honestly know what disastrous choices may occur, but at the same time. Guys. It's fine. A majority of people are just really hating on this, and for no real reason. So I'm here to sort of address the issues, that most people seem to be concerned about.

• "It's a cash grab"

Okay I have no idea what this argument is saying. If anything, Telltale does not need the extra money and they seriously aren't people who are going to sell-out. Why do you think they did something such as The Wolf Among Us? Frankly something that comes from a comic book series that players I knew had little knowledge or no knowledge of its existence, and The Wolf Among Us helped get them into that. They are people who choose what they want, because they think they can do something new, and I highly doubt they're willing to put effort into this game (as they have with every game they've made) solely for the money.

• "It's gonna suck"

We have seen not a screenshot, trailer, not even a pixel of what the game is supposed to be. How on earth do we know it's going to suck. You may think the idea is bad, but you can't just go out on a leash and claim the entire game will suck.

• "Microsoft clearly made them do it"

Okay let me explain how companies work. When a company (Microsoft) owns something (Minecraft), they can not suddenly go to another company (Telltale Games) and order them to create something, unless some of contract, agreement, was made or they're perhaps owned as well or a sub-branch or whatever.

Telltale is and will always be independent, same with Microsoft and as such if anything Microsoft went up to Telltale and asked them to make this game. Something which Telltale has to agree to and can disagree with, if they don't want to do it.

• "Minecraft can't be taken seriously"

Who ever said anything about it being a serious story? For all we know it could just be as comedic as Tales From The Borderlands. Furthermore, why can it not be taken seriously? At times Minecraft has spawned some dark theories (Herobrine) and there are multiple adventure maps that are story-driven and contain dark prevalent themes or situations.

In conclusion, until I see the game I'm just going out on a limb and saying it's going to be fine. If people don't like the idea, fine with them. But don't go insulting Minecraft, Telltale, etc. I also love how Telltale can be praised for creating Tales From The Borderlands or Game of Thrones perhaps a couple weeks ago, yet when they want to announce another game it's all of a sudden "Oh no, I don't like this. What the hell Telltale?" And yet companies such as Ubisoft who seem to do worse things and not care about their products are still thriving. Interesting. For a decision you weren't a part of, and one that isn't forced upon you (If you don't like the game, hey, you don't have to buy it).

Comments

• Telltale does not need the extra money and they seriously aren't people who are going to sell-out.

New to capitalism?

• It's pointless, it has no story, no characters, no lore, nothing. It's a waste of time and resources for Telltale in so many ways.

• And thus Telltale can not create a story because...? Why not have Telltale (who seem to be one of the few studios with good writers left in the gaming industry) write a story that could inspire some lore, for Mojang to take on board. They've said it doesn't explain the world of Minecraft, doesn't mean the story can't be used.

J-Master posted: »

It's pointless, it has no story, no characters, no lore, nothing. It's a waste of time and resources for Telltale in so many ways.

• It's a waste of time and resources for Telltale in so many ways.

Not really, if anything they're gonna profit so hard off this, lol. It's Minecraft there's no way they aren't going to make back the time and resources.

It's pointless, it has no story, no characters, no lore, nothing. It's a waste of time and resources for Telltale in so many ways.

• edited December 2014

Why Minecraft? WHY NOT MAKE THEIR OWN UNIVERSE????? Minecraft is pointless, and probably may bring in a very unpopular fanbase to the forums. It's a waste of time.

HarjKS posted: »

And thus Telltale can not create a story because...? Why not have Telltale (who seem to be one of the few studios with good writers left in

• ...Did you just try to say Telltale is selling out due to Capitalism? If I didn't make my point clear, what I was saying was that I'm presuming (from all the hype, etc.) that the first episodes of both Game of Thrones and Tales From The Borderlands were good, not only that but the studio has drastically increased its production value of games. I mean compare The Walking Dead: Season One, whilst fantastic had odd textures, weird glitches and at times choppy next-time trailers or animations that could take you out of the immersion.

In Game of Thrones for example, aside from a few sound glitches, it seems the art style has created much better visuals, they have professional actors, the next-time trailers are actually smooth and other glitches are far and few in between. I'd say, Telltale are pretty much doing well enough financially and not to mention producing a game, will still cost them money - People seem to acting like no expenses or risks are being taken here.

Telltale does not need the extra money and they seriously aren't people who are going to sell-out. New to capitalism?

• Will not buy this game.

• Why not Minecraft? Also Telltale does not create things on their own, they have a style of taking worlds of other various franchises and trying to spin their own tale from it, which they've done successfully.

Why Minecraft? WHY NOT MAKE THEIR OWN UNIVERSE????? Minecraft is pointless, and probably may bring in a very unpopular fanbase to the forums. It's a waste of time.

• I want to see what Telltale is gonna do with Minecraft. I know there is no story, but the world is huge. I think the fact that there is no story to it, kinda gives them an advantage. I mean how can Telltale screw up something that doesn't have a story?

Besides, Telltale isn't gonna force anyone to buy the game.

• It's still a complete waste of time for Telltale to tackle something that doesn't warrant a story. It's all pointless.

Green613 posted: »

It's a waste of time and resources for Telltale in so many ways. Not really, if anything they're gonna profit so hard off this, lol. It's Minecraft there's no way they aren't going to make back the time and resources.

• That's completely fine, but I ask that you at least perhaps give it a chance. They'll most likely start issuing out trailers, screen shots and such near release and furthermore, a demo would most likely come out as well. If you don't like it, fine. But try to approach it with an open mind.

CrazyGeorge posted: »

Will not buy this game.

• Because Minecraft doesn't warrant a story in any fashion, and why can't they make something on their own? They've got the people and the budget. A Minecraft Telltale game just doesn't work, because there isn't any potential because it's a property about building things rather than story.

Why not Minecraft? Also Telltale does not create things on their own, they have a style of taking worlds of other various franchises and trying to spin their own tale from it, which they've done successfully.

• Nope, because there are so many more interesting ideas/stories that TTG can take advantage of, this feels like a pointless cash grab, aimed at children. What really annoys me about the whole thing is that TTG doesn't listen to its customers, it does what it wants, and the only way we can get them to listen to our feedback is by not buying everything that they come out with.

There have been numerous threads about what games series would make for a excellent TTG series, Minecraft to my knowledge WAS NEVER MENTIONED, not once. So here is what we know.

They just announced this game, so it probably will take precedence over TWAU, TWDG, so we will have to wait another who knows how many months to get a game the fans want to play. More pointless waiting.

That's completely fine, but I ask that you at least perhaps give it a chance. They'll most likely start issuing out trailers, screen shots a

• edited December 2014

Adding a new one

• "Minecraft has no lore, story or anything. So what's the point?"

I cannot stress this enough. Why is this an issue? Since when was Telltale, not able to create a story all of a sudden? What does it need constant care and assurance from the creators that the game is good for the lore. Sure, they have to most likely check for anything that breaks the plot, but guys Telltale are creative.

With no story or lore to stick to, they can approach this from any angle. In games such as Tales From The Borderlands,whilst great - I noticed times when it was clear Telltale were trying to be serious. However these moments felt slightly too contrasting with the characters and other moments that were more comedic and didn't tend to rely upon human emotions and drama. Sure, they tried to do their best and did a decent job but you could tell that they had to limit themselves to how much drama they could show, and that can hinder the emotional connections to the characters.

With this, there's nothing that is established. They can make it as dramatic or comedic as they want, without any limits. It's pretty much the closest we'd get for Telltale to create their own game, with their own original story. Plus we haven't even seen any hints to what the story could be/is? Yet people feel the need to judge it already.

• edited December 2014

Minecraft doesn't need a story, and it wasn't asking for one, therefore it's a complete waste of time for Telltale to do this and not focus on other properties and the game itself isn't even going to explain the world, it's just going to be a pointless adventure according to Mojang.

Adding a new one * "Minecraft has no lore, story or anything. So what's the point?" I cannot stress this enough. Why is this an iss

• I'm sorry, I don't remember The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, The Wolf Among Us or Tales From The Borderlands exactly "asking" for side-stories to the main franchises either.

Also when did Mojang say the exact and I mean god damn exact terms. That the game is going to be a "pointless adventure". Find me that, and link it to me, otherwise I'm assuming it just doesn't exist.

Minecraft doesn't need a story, and it wasn't asking for one, therefore it's a complete waste of time for Telltale to do this and not focus

• edited December 2014

I'm sorry but but all of those properties had a story, a world, lore, and had potential to have spin offs, Minecraft is not worth a damn in any fashion for Telltale. I'm not acting like a bootlicker just yet.

I'm sorry, I don't remember The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, The Wolf Among Us or Tales From The Borderlands exactly "asking" for side-sto

• Just because there is a possibility does not mean that it is a necessity. Yes those worlds had the potential for spin offs, it didn't mean that they needed one. Minecraft has the potential for a story to be created by Telltale alone. By that logic, it is worth something.

Also I'm just going to ignore that last line, hoping that wasn't an attempt at an insult.

I'm sorry but but all of those properties had a story, a world, lore, and had potential to have spin offs, Minecraft is not worth a damn in any fashion for Telltale. I'm not acting like a bootlicker just yet.

• Children? Really? Most of Telltales audience relies on young adults, and I don't see how this is a cash grab when we have literally seen nothing from the story that indicates so, and Telltale are taking a pretty big risk and still spending expenses on this.

Also by "not listening to customers" - What is that supposed to mean? I don't remember Telltale suddenly having to bow down to every whim and request the fans want. In fact if anything they've seemed to improve their games regarding other aspects. Also you know what else was never mentioned? Fables. Yet they made a game on their own whim, and it was good.

Not only that but if you don't like it, then don't buy it. They're still working on TWDG Season Three to our knowledge, and TWAU is presumably in the early stages or planned to be set after MCSM.

CrazyGeorge posted: »

Nope, because there are so many more interesting ideas/stories that TTG can take advantage of, this feels like a pointless cash grab, aimed

• edited December 2014

It's not worth my time or Telltale's time, it's so damn pointless, it's really dumb. A pointless adventure that no one wanted. Not buying this just yet, I don't see any potential and Telltale aren't writing gods, they can screw up.

Just because there is a possibility does not mean that it is a necessity. Yes those worlds had the potential for spin offs, it didn't mean t

• Telltale working on 3 titles at once is not good, they have a really small team.

• I never even claimed they were writing gods, and of course they can screw up. But how can we possibly tell that from - Oh wait, nothing? There are no screenshots, trailers, barely any scraps of information on this project. We barely know the name, and yet people are declaring a fatwa claiming it's going to be bad.

If you don't want to buy it, then that's completely and utterly fine. Don't buy it.

It's not worth my time or Telltale's time, it's so damn pointless, it's really dumb. A pointless adventure that no one wanted. Not buying this just yet, I don't see any potential and Telltale aren't writing gods, they can screw up.

• I wonder, how can a writer screw up something that doesn't have an established lore or story?

• Actually four, with the Walking Dead. I hope Tales and GoT won't take a hit from this.

Telltale working on 3 titles at once is not good, they have a really small team.

• Like I said, if they're creating their own story, having underdeveloped characters, lackluster stories or tension, etc. These can all attribute to a bad story.

I wonder, how can a writer screw up something that doesn't have an established lore or story?

• I agree, though they are actually working on four (Because that worked out so well last time) as they're also working on The Walking Dead: Season Three.

Though they have employed more people, it is worrying.

Telltale working on 3 titles at once is not good, they have a really small team.

• edited December 2014

That's right, nothing Minecraft is nothing special. Not boot licking just yet for this project.

I never even claimed they were writing gods, and of course they can screw up. But how can we possibly tell that from - Oh wait, nothing? The

• By wasting his time on something that doesn't need it.

I wonder, how can a writer screw up something that doesn't have an established lore or story?

• Telltale are taking a pretty big risk and still spending expenses on this.

Tell me about it. Not the smartest business choice they ever made, there are certain games you know that would be a success just because of the name factor alone.

IE GOT, I'm not even a fan of that show, but so many people love that TV show,. It is going to be huge, where minecraft is the exact opposite of that.

Also by "not listening to customers" - What is that supposed to mean?

Did you miss the constant threads in TellTale Talk section, where people would post ideas of game series they would like TTG to work on, never once saw Minecraft.

Not once.

I don't remember Telltale suddenly having to bow down to every whim and request the fans want.

Ok... Straw Man!

Not only that but if you don't like it, then don't buy it.

I won't buy it, trust me. I have no interest in this at all, its just another pointless delay imo, in games i actually want to purchase and play.

Children? Really? Most of Telltales audience relies on young adults, and I don't see how this is a cash grab when we have literally seen not

• JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited December 2014

This is always something that is brought up when Telltale announces a new project (people were worried about The Wolf Among Us and The Walking Dead Season Two when Game of Thrones was announced), but it's not a cause for concern. The way Telltale works is that the games that are currently ongoing are in full production, whereas the other games are just beginning production with a small team. They'll only pull other members from the teams of the ongoing seasons once they have wrapped up production.

Right now, Minecraft: Story Mode and The Walking Dead Season Three are in early production. Once Tales from the Borderlands and Game of Thrones gets to the end of their seasons, people from those teams will work on Minecraft and The Walking Dead. Then those two games will begin full production. While this is going on, Telltale is securing rights for more products, and once those seasons start up, more titles will be announced, and the cycle will start again.

• It's quite possible that it's going to give them an advantage, yes.

(Said in general) What is going to give Telltale more freedom to create a story:

1) An IP that is story based, meaning there are certain things that Telltale have to adhere too or be mindful of.

or

2) An IP that has no story.

(It's fair to assume it'll be a comedy game, in my view, and that pure fun will be its aim, even if the story is non-sensical.)

I want to see what Telltale is gonna do with Minecraft. I know there is no story, but the world is huge. I think the fact that there is no s

• edited December 2014

Minecraft is also uglier than Quasimodo. If they're going to tell a story with those graphics, there's no way I can take it seriously, comedy or otherwise.

• Yes, but TWD S2 really didn't work that well out for them while they were also making Wolf, both of the game's quality started hindering in later episodes, so I think people have a valid point to be worried about this project getting in the way.

Jennifer posted: »

This is always something that is brought up when Telltale announces a new project (people were worried about The Wolf Among Us and The Walki

• They can screw up, as can anyone. But I think, based on their past products, they've earned a bit of trust in their narrative skills. At least wait to see more information, anyway.

• Um, no TWD S2 was not that great. Even Wolf feels a bit rushed and underwhelming.

Rob_K posted: »

They can screw up, as can anyone. But I think, based on their past products, they've earned a bit of trust in their narrative skills. At least wait to see more information, anyway.

• They won't really be. Walking Dead S3 and Minecraft:Story Mode will be slowly in production like how Tales from the Borderlands and Game of Thrones were when Walking Dead S2 and Wolf Among Us were releasing.

• edited December 2014

Which is an opinion. And totally fine. So, on your end, they probably haven't earned that trust then. But when it comes to others? I would have thought they would have.

Myself, I wish choices mattered more, but I was happy with the narrative itself and the overall experience.

Um, no TWD S2 was not that great. Even Wolf feels a bit rushed and underwhelming.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.