Fan Bases

Well, I'm upset at the argument against people disagreeing with this game, declaring them childish...The worst comments about this are the ones saying "Why is everyone upset at Minecraft's fan base coming...It seems like the children are already here from most of these posts."...This brings me to a question...Which Fan Base would be worse for the Telltale Forums?

So far you have seen me just hate on this game with extreme amounts of anger...For this I apologize, I was having a mental breakdown and this game/ idea was my victim. I still dislike the idea and find it dumb for Telltale to do I will study before unleashing further unneeded hate. I state this so you now know that I will be unbiased in this post which will state the Pros and Cons of both Fanbases.

MineCraft Fan Base Cons

• It is well known a large majority of the Community is children...Rude children at that. (Not all, just a lot)
  • They can be extremely hateful to each other and ideas that are against Minecraft.

MineCraft Fan Base Pros

• A bunch of their members can be extremely creative and smart.
  • Not all are children and some of the children are mature enough to be on sites such as our Forums.

Telltale Fan Base Cons

• Extremely aggressive to new series.
  • Can get in very strong arguments and wars.

Telltale Fan Base Pros

• We mostly treat each other as family and help each other through problems.
  • Creative and fun members.

I also want to add this video in to members who state we are as bad as the Minecraft Fan base can get... (Only opinionated part on here)

Worse Fans

Now, I would love to hear your opinions on this subject after the points giving to you: http://strawpoll.me/3222202

Please keep it civil

Comments

• Im more worried that the younger people will play this game then get their hands on Walking Dead and Wolf Among us, which isnt something a child should be playing

• If they do, I'm worried about them complaining it isn't MineCraft... :/

Poogers555 posted: »

Im more worried that the younger people will play this game then get their hands on Walking Dead and Wolf Among us, which isnt something a child should be playing

• edited December 2014

well i don't know what happened but you shouldn't have to say sorry for hating on the game it is a very strange and bad option when compared to what else they could have done anyway both have their bad bits but the minecraft community is much worse in most ways i mean i can't wait to get kids like this coming here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRdcptG365I&index=2&list=RDykvjQK5E70k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykvjQK5E70k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsO-Td0hqXo

• The Minecraft one easily, but I have to say our community overreacts way, WAY too much.

• Yep :p

Green613 posted: »

The Minecraft one easily, but I have to say our community overreacts way, WAY too much.

• Oh God, the horror.

Alt text

If they do, I'm worried about them complaining it isn't MineCraft...

• edited December 2014

"I think the walking dead would be better if I could make a diamond sword and kill zombies. Also I think the zombies should be more like Minecraft."

-Minecraft Fan

If they do, I'm worried about them complaining it isn't MineCraft...

• da zombies in da waking ded ned to be moar lyk creepas

"I think the walking dead would be better if I could make a diamond sword and kill zombies. Also I think the zombies should be more like Minecraft." -Minecraft Fan

• "I wuz alzo vry disapontd dat herobrin wuznt the one who took Clemintin in episde 5."

Jewfreeus posted: »

da zombies in da waking ded ned to be moar lyk creepas

• Please stop, you're literally killing me.

"I wuz alzo vry disapontd dat herobrin wuznt the one who took Clemintin in episde 5."

• Alt text

nah fuk of i wull rekt u fgt

• edited December 2014

nah fuk of i wull rekt u fgt :D

Please stop, you're literally killing me.

• edited December 2014

The thing is, and I'm sorry if people take offense at this, is that the logical thing to do is to either take the 'let's see and wait approach' or to voice your opinion about it not being a good idea, while not treating it as a fact that the game will be poor when we know nothing about it. And it's fine if the game isn't for you.

But to come and outright condemn the game, like it's a fact that it will be poor when we know nothing about it? That's not on, though I can understand if it's due to disappointment. It doesn't excuse it, but I can understand it. There's all the rudeness as well. And people should consider how the developers might feel. Speaking personally, this might have been enough for me to say 'screw the fans' honestly.

Moving on, there are quite a lot of, in my opinion, rather silly threads created here. Some where arguments occur over absolutely nothing, like the arguments that crop up in 'character wars'. There's too much stuff to mention really that could be seen as immature. And I can think back to one thing in specific when it comes to The Walking Dead, though I won't mention it.

Anyhow, while it's quite possible there will be an influx of younger members (not all bad), this community is hardly perfect as it is.

But the thing is, this forum is the same as everywhere else on the web. Arguments occur over nothing, there's plenty of trolling and rudeness everywhere. So, it's not a problem specific to here. Earlier today, I was looking at the Saturday Morning RPG forum on Steam and there were posts by people who do not own it, slating it because of the art style and because it's also on IPADs and such (claiming it's partly responsible for the downfall of PC gaming despite the developers implementing improvements like higher resolutions). They were also making false accusations and when they were proven wrong, they reacted badly. They also stated that it was a cash grab despite the devs making $20 a day, and only making a 5th of the development costs back. Yet they still continue to work on delivering another episode in their free time, free of charge, because the game is a labor of love (I hope this 'cash grab' thing sounds familiar btw). (Sorry for the off-topic here, but I was looking into the game as I'm interested in buying it during the sale and felt the examples showcased what the internet is like. I don't really find this place much friendlier/nicer if I'm honest. Though sure, there are nice people as there are everywhere.)

Ultimately, I think this isn't worth worrying about. And if there are a lot more stupid threads/posts, just try to ignore them. Granted, I know how hard that can be. I always have to try to bite my tongue, though I don't manage to restrain myself a lot of the time. Lately though, I've been doing well, I think. The only reason I've been replying to the Minecraft stuff is because . . . well, I was trying to drive it home that it could work and such. I do write after all, so I kinda know what I'm talking about. Not that I'm the best writer around however. Simply average.

PS: Sorry if my points aren't clear or if there are errors. I'm honestly quite tired at the moment.

• Alt text

• edited December 2014

You know, I think Blind Sniper and the Moderators are going to keep this place safe from little immature kids and trolls, besides, that one asshole who made a thread telling Flog to kill himself didn't even last a day or at least I know.

• Someone made a thread telling Flog to kill himself? This is exactly what I was worried about. I have faith in the moderators, they do a great job, but still, fans like that person will be coming here in droves soon, and we can't do anything to stop it. They're already here as we speak.

J-Master posted: »

You know, I think Blind Sniper and the Moderators are going to keep this place safe from little immature kids and trolls, besides, that one asshole who made a thread telling Flog to kill himself didn't even last a day or at least I know.

• That guy got kicked out and never came back.

Someone made a thread telling Flog to kill himself? This is exactly what I was worried about. I have faith in the moderators, they do a grea

• Good, we can't have people telling others to kill themselves on here, this isn't Youtube. But my point still stands that we will have a large number of people coming here that could be like him.

That guy got kicked out and never came back.

• They will do their best, as they do now, but they cannot catch everything and sometimes things aren't caught until the damage is done unfortunately.

But the mods here work very hard and, from what I can tell, are all very nice. Unfortunately, it's often a thankless job, just as being a developer is. (You only need to look at death threats and other rubbish thrown at developers)

Anyway, glad whoever said that to Flog was dealt with.

• I really don't understand the problem. The Minecraft fans will keep to the Minecraft section, which you won't need to visit anyway because you hate the idea of a Minecraft game. There might be a little overlap in the General section, but you'll still have all the other forum sections that they will never venture into.

• With each franchise announcement, the overall forum culture kinda changes to accommodate the fan base. If the games/franchises are similar (like Sam and Max/Monkey Island for the old games, or Walking Dead/Game of Thrones/Wolf Among Us for the newer games), then it will encourage fans to broaden their tastes for other franchises. However, when Telltale presents a new franchise with a radical shift or departure of tone from their previous games, some of the existing fans generally tend to feel insecure about it. Some lament that the new fans will ruin the community, while others expand their palette and try the new games - or better yet, even open up to the new community.

Back when Telltale switched up the formula from comedy puzzle games to drama titles which focus primarily on story telling with easy gameplay instead of puzzle solving, a notable and vocal portion of fans on the forums felt threatened that "edgy teenagers and 12 year olds" from the Walking Dead fan base would ruin the community that they had.

I figured the elitism some of the older fans felt was more so due to the change in gameplay, and although I disagree with it, I could at least understand it. However, it seems that even the Walking Dead fan base is starting to have some elitism of their own - going back all the way to when titles such as Wolf Among Us, Game of Thrones, and Borderlands were announced. Yes, those titles had stories whereas Minecraft by default does not, but that isn't where I'm going with this.

Rather, what I'm saying is that some of the elitism I'm seeing here is kind of disappointing.

You are entirely welcome to have your opinions of other people, but the tone from this thread feels less like constructive discussion and more like predatory scrutinization.

As food for thought (for those who joined during or after Walking Dead), think about all the experiences you have had on this forum - the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Do you feel like this community is special in comparison to other places? Some would say so, some would disagree. Seeing as how I'm a moderator here, I'm kinda biased to be in favor of the community here, but focus on your own opinion.

There have been some trying times with some members (and even almost another mod) being bullied out as well as trolls getting carried away, but there have also been some good friendships and connections that you guys have forged with each other here as well. Matter of fact, the Walking Dead community even gave us OzzyUK as a moderator (and a good one at that!).

Both in the past and in the present, from what I've seen, it kind of feels like there is a fear of who the biggest fan base will be that is catered to, instead of just having different people co-exist in their own part of the community.

As I said shortly ago, you are welcome to voice your own opinions and criticisms of other fan bases - as a matter of fact, it's usually disagreements and different opinions that make for good discussion in the first place! Who wants to only ever talk to other people with the same opinion as you? However, I really don't like these threads that make people feel unwelcome from even joining before they even do anything wrong. There's a difference between not liking something and going out of your way to attack something you don't like.

I may lock this thread in a while because of that, but for now, I'm going to keep it open as I assume you guys will want to comment on this.

• Unbiased, it's the same as everywhere else honestly (so no better or worse). It has positives and negatives. Nice people and not so nice people.

A nice post, Blind, and you've probably worded what I was trying to say in a much better way.

With each franchise announcement, the overall forum culture kinda changes to accommodate the fan base. If the games/franchises are similar (

• Why lock it?

I made this thread for opinions like this, I want people to come out and share why...You did a great job at this.

With each franchise announcement, the overall forum culture kinda changes to accommodate the fan base. If the games/franchises are similar (

• omfg nawt enugh mincrap rerfferncz i ned deamond sword XDDDDDDDD

• OzzyUKOzzyUK Moderator

Us Moderators will deal with the immature kids and trolls, if they do start causing problems flag their comments and ignore them rather than fighting back if it comes to it.

Personally speaking i think everyone should give them a chance before jumping the gun and assuming that every new member will be a immature kid as there are some older and more mature people who are fans of minecraft, if there are new members joining try and welcome them and get to know them as they could turn out to be good members who are fun to talk to.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.