Comic-Con coverage

EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
edited July 2006 in Sam & Max
The first of Dan's Comic-Con interviews has gone up at GameInformer.

I'll post additional coverage in this thread as it comes.

More coverage:

Gamasutra interview with Dave Grossman

Gamasutra interview with Dan Connors

DL TV podcast - this didn't come out of Comic-Con, but it's recent, so I thought I'd add it here. CGW editor Darren Gladstone is on the episode talking a little about Sam & Max and what he learned from us during CGW's visit here. The Sam & Max part starts about 17 minutes into the podcast.

Comments

• edited July 2006
    GI: A lot of those LucasArts franchises are still very popular – you spoke about Day of the Tentacle. Is there a chance you’ll be able to wrangle a few more of those away for more episodes? Are you working on that at all?

Connors: It’s definitely on our minds and it’s definitely something we think about. Maybe I can give you more information a while from now. It’s definitely something that makes good sense to everybody. For them it’s the same thing. For them it’s "What’s the business model? What’s the retail model?" It’s not their type of game – it’s not Star Wars, it’s not with the movie, with the lightsaber – an action game. When trying to do the two things at the same time it makes it challenging. They’ve been trying to figure out the right solution, and hopefully Telltale is part of it.
    =P~ Does this mean we could see more LucasArts franchises rising from the grave, or is this just wishful thinking?
  • edited July 2006
    Wow.
  • edited July 2006
    Agree, wow! A very interesting articel. Looking forward for more :) thx a lot
  • edited July 2006
    I doubt lucasarts would ever hand over their licenses.. they are not that smart [>:)]
  • edited July 2006
    Hand over?

LucasArts is no stranger to using 3rd parties to develop games for them to publish. If Telltale can present a business model where LucasArts can make money with low risk, they'll consider it. Telltale would make the episodes using LucasArts IP and LucasArts would publish them.

The best part of the quote is that it reads that LucasArts actually are trying to find ways to use their old IP. Everything up until now has said they have no plans to resurrect any of it.
  • edited July 2006
    I figure LucasArts wouldn't even need to worry themselves over publishing the old IPs. Their only job would be take money from Telltale for using its licenses. And perhaps put some info on their website and talk to gaming publications and websites about how wonderful LucasArts thinks they are for doing this and how it was all their idea. It's not like it's Steve Purcell's or Jeff Smith's job to market or publish the games Telltale is licensing from them.

Knowing LucasArts, though, they'd want their hands all over the whole production process. They'd probably find some way to turn everything into a sequel to RTX Red Rock.
  • edited July 2006
    I figure LucasArts wouldn't even need to worry themselves over publishing the old IPs. Their only job would be take money from Telltale for using its licenses. And perhaps put some info on their website and talk to gaming publications and websites about how wonderful LucasArts thinks they are for doing this and how it was all their idea.

Quite right, though as we've seen with the LEGO Star Wars publisher shift (Eidos for 1st game, LucasArts for next one), LucasArts don't like to let hugely profitible games based on its licenses get published by other companies.

But yes, all LucasArts needs to do is rent out the license, collect their royalties, and maybe do a little joint promotion.
  • edited July 2006
    LucasArts don't like to let hugely profitible games based on its licenses get published by other companies.
    Haha!! Are we still talking about adventure games? :))

Ooh... that stings. :-s
  • edited July 2006
    I imagine the price lucasarts would charge would be too much for someone like telltale tho..
  • edited July 2006
    Maybe lucas arts can strike a deal with TellTale to finish Sam and MAx Freelance Police. I heard it was pretty much finished anyways. I'm sure all the voice acting is pretty much complete. That's all that matters anyways right? lol

Maybe this can happen way down the road after Season 1 is finished.
  • edited July 2006
    Gamasutra has a quite lengthy interview with Grossman up... and it's only part one. Yay!

edit: On reflection, maybe not so much lengthy as split up onto a lot of pages. It's still worthwhile though, with a little bit of detail on the driving/shooting side of things and an infuriating emphasis on the alleged importance of story (which I realise is sort of part of the company philosophy, but I don't hold it against Telltale because they seem able to make good games in spite of it.)
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2006
    I think part 2 is an interview with Dan.

Dave's interview is a good one, I think. Gamasutra always asks interesting questions and gets the developers talking. I was interested to learn that some of the jokes I found funniest in The Secret of Monkey Island were Dave's. :)
  • edited July 2006
    The link in your first post into the Dave Grossman Gamasutra interview leads to the last page (page 7) of the interview instead of page one, Emily.
    edited July 2006
    Ack! Fixed, thanks.
    edited July 2006
    Part two of the Gamasutra piece is now up.
  • edited July 2006
    Hi, it's me again. :)

The DL TV podcast -link leads to a "Tanita: Plasticine Dream preview" page in the Adventure Gamers site.
    edited July 2006
    Christ. Apparently I'm not very good at copying and pasting these days. :(

Thanks, it's fixed now.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.