Monkey Island Remakes - Curse and Escape

2»

Comments

• edited June 2009
    wallyr.jpg

wallycomp.jpg
  • edited June 2009
    Shiversul wrote: »
    Only way they could enhance CMI is by increasing the resolution of the characters

yeah
  • edited June 2009
    I don't know what they'd do with Escape, really, other than re-render it at a higher resolution. Telltale's W&G controls are a step up from EMI controls, too, so they could consider that.

For CMI, what I'd like is for them to either re-scan the original art assets in HD (if they still have them), or just "trace" all the original art into cleanly scalable vector art.
  • edited June 2009
    wallyr.jpg

wallycomp.jpg

That...is...SWEET. Steve should release more of his old MI2 artwork; these are really cool!
  • edited June 2009
    I think it's not Steve to release these, as they belong to LucasArts (and are stored in their archives).
  • edited June 2009
    Love that book, should re-release it with an extra chapter cause of the recent news lol They do with many autobiographies.
  • edited June 2009
    If Telltale proves one thing that is that it is for the fans, does what the fans want and makes lots of money from the fans. So tear this place up with posts ya all.
  • edited June 2009
    I wouldn't mind a straight-up rerelease of Curse since I lost my copy aaaaages ago. Seeing it in HD would be amazing, too.
  • edited June 2009
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    I don't know what they'd do with Escape, really, other than re-render it at a higher resolution. Telltale's W&G controls are a step up from EMI controls, too, so they could consider that.

Better textures, shaders, lighting, higher poly models...
  • edited June 2009
    Occasionally uninspired art direction aside, EMI looked decent enough for what it had to work with in ten year old 3D. The most obvious problem was the need for it to run on relatively low-end computers (because adventure gamers don't upgrade) and have it all fit across two CDs. It was locked in very low resolution, and the character models were permitted next to no detail. I don't think the difference would be as stark as an endeavor to rescan the MI2 backgrounds in hi-res might be, but there are definitely ways to give EMI a little more shine.

CMI would just need a resolution upgrade. When everything's hand-drawn illustrations, it's completely ageless.
  • edited June 2009
    serweet wrote: »
    Nope, it reverts to pure original coloured text a nd no speach.

damn i wanted to play it with original gfx with speech
  • edited June 2009
    But then it keeps the original intact
  • edited June 2009
    The remaking of further sequels would depend on the success of the remake of SMI - I for one will be holing my breath and crossing my fingers. (It's a good thing I can hold my breath for over 10 minutes).

I'm sure most die hard fans will be getting a copy and many other MI fans who weren't around for the original (like me) might be like it, too.

Not only am I hoping that LeChuck's revenge will be available but I wouldn't mind seeing Curse remade as well as Escape. (When I look at the graphics of the figures from curse it makes me feel old).

Many might argue that Cursedoesn't need to be remade... Well, I'd probably agree, to an extent, but I'd say that I'd still like to see it get re-launched at the very least. But if they were to remake it they shouldn't have to re-record the voice work.

But while there's no real need to recreate the graphics of Curse in 3D I would like to point people's attention to Broken Sword 3 (though I don't know how many of you have played that franchise). Several of the scenes there were 3D versions of the original 2D game, but the cell shading was beautifully replicated to accurately capture the atmosphere. It was a very nostalgic game, for me and, though the 3rd edition had faults, it really had an emotional effect on me when I saw those scenes.

Some people have said they weren't happy with the ending of Escape so maybe a remake of that would be a chance to pander to consumer demand on that front. I don't know. If they're talking about Herman turning out to be Elaine's grandfather (and rightful governor) then I thought it was a nice twist and I kind thought that in a 5th game (which I had started to believe wasn't happening) he might have found returning to home life more than just a little difficult and put up a hammock and a camp fire (etc) outside the governor’s mansion (or, even funnier, on the floor inside).

I guess a lot of people's problems with the ending might have been the giant 'ultimate insult', since the monkey's head originally had a roller coaster that went to hell beneath it (or did it?)...
Sign in to comment in this discussion.