The protagonist of future "Tales of Monkey Island"

Since the title is "Tales of Monkey Island" rather than "Tales of Guybrush Threepwood", I wonder what people would think about future "seasons' featuring different protagonists?

Personally, I think that there's something quite appealing about the idea of each season focussing on the "Tales" of various pirate characters who live in the Caribbean. It'd keep the series fresh, and perhaps extend the life and appeal of the franchise. I'd like to see seasons featuring all-new protagonists, but I'm not sure if die-hard fans would accept such changes.

What do people think?

Comments

• edited June 2009
    Only Guybrush!
  • edited June 2009
    I could handle some sort of "Tales Of LeChuck" consisting of storys from when he was a ghost before meeting Guybrush. Or maybe before he died.
  • edited June 2009
    I voted only Guybrush, but I would live with Tales of LeChuck.

Actually that sounds amusing. But that's about it.
  • edited June 2009
    I hate the way Lechucks beard looks in Tales, couldnt stand playin and listening to him for a whole season

Tales of Murray on the other hand...
  • edited June 2009
    In Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis there were couple of puzzles where you could play as Sophia Hapgood. It didn't ruin the game that you could control someone else besides Indy, but instead it added some flavour to the game. I wouldn't mind if during some puzzle you could control for example Elaine, but those chapters shouldn't be too long.
  • edited June 2009
    But Guybrush is 100 times cooler than Indy
  • edited June 2009
    It's all about Vegetable Goodsoup.. I mean Guybrush Threepwood.
  • edited June 2009

They invent the most perfect Guybrush since Lechuck's Revenge, the Guybrush I've wanted to see for years, and now we're talking about alternative protagonists?

Nay. I say thee nay!

Providing they keep the style of Guybrush they have now, they could make 10 seasons and I would very likely buy every single episode.

If they were to switch protagonists now though, it would kill my ongoing buzz about currently having a proper Guybrush Threepwood, and therefore it'd likely kill my interest in the game.

Guybrush is iconic to Monkey Island, it'd be like killing Picard in the third or fourth season of TNG. Or it'd be like that one plot they had for Doctor Who, where there'd be no more Doctor and Ace would continue to carry the torch. /shudder
  • edited June 2009
    Well it's never been:
    The Secret of Guybrush Threepwood
    Guybrush Threepwood 2: LeChuck's Revenge
    The Curse of Guybrush Threepwood
    Escape from Guybrush Threepwood

I'm just saying...

Edit: Also, that would be like Star Wars without Luke Skywalker ¬_¬
  • edited June 2009
    I wouldn't mind if you would have to play Elaine or LeChuck for a while, to see the story from a different perspective. :)
  • edited June 2009
    No no no no no!! Monkey Island IS Guybrush ! We want Guybrush as protagonist of each Monkey game. Absolutely.
  • edited June 2009
    Scapetti wrote: »
    Edit: Also, that would be like Star Wars without Luke Skywalker ¬_¬

And we all know how that turned out, that's just inviting Jar-Jar Binks into our Monkey Islands, that is!
  • Hmm, well I wouldn't mind some character switching in a couple of episodes but only to esablished characters and not for a whole season.
  • edited June 2009
    <-- As my username states lol
  • edited June 2009
    Guybrush is the ultimate protagonist.
  • edited June 2009
    Shiversul wrote: »
    But Guybrush is 100 times cooler than Indy

I like both of them. Last Crusade and Fate of Atlantis were really good games and it's pity that instead of continuing Indy's point and click adventures they decided to start making Tomb Raider clones.
  • edited June 2009
    Bones the Monkey Island adventure ...
    With Murray the demonic skull playing the bones people!
  • edited June 2009
    I could do with a switch. Not for an entire season - and certainly no one is talking about changing the protagonist for good - but for a single episode, definitely. Elaine, LeChuck or someone else could easily take over if Guybrush starts getting stale. Of course, that would only be in the second or third season, so we're way ahead of ourselves.
  • edited June 2009
    And we all know how that turned out, that's just inviting Jar-Jar Binks into our Monkey Islands, that is!

But Jar-Jar was already in EMI....
  • edited June 2009
    I could see them pulling a Leisure Suit Larry 3 and having Elaine playable for a portion of the game, say if Guybrush gets himself in a big pickle or something. But not for an entire game.
  • edited June 2009
    Interesting responses, guys. Thanks!
  • edited June 2009
    It just wouldn't feel right. Unless they could do something pretty incredible with it, I just don't see how that would do anything but separate us from a major part of what makes the Monkey Island franchise work.
  • edited June 2009
    Guybrush is just too memorable and lovable not to be the main character.
  • edited June 2009
    I voted Guybrush, but if there was some puzzles where you have to switch between Guybrush and Elaine, that would be cool, but having an another protaagonist for a whole season would be redicioulus, and I would probably not play that season.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.