Should I watch the series before playing?

Hi, no spoilers please, I'm an avid fan of Telltale, but I haven't got HBO at home, and due to little time I haven't watched any episodes of the TV show. My question is: Should I watch the series in order to understand what is going on at the game?

Comments

• It is preferred IMO. You will miss a lot of cameos/references to the show if you don't. You can still play the game and enjoy it just fine, but not as much as if you watch the show beforehand.

• edited December 2014

To be able to fully understand what is happening...yes, you should. Right from the start, the episode starts with a huge spoiler from the third season. It's true Telltale does try to introduce you to the characters and lore, but if you watch the show it would be so much easier for you to grasp what is happening.

If you ask me, the show is worth watching. It's definitely one of the best, if not the best show that is currently airing on TV right now.

• Well, I was planning to watch the series anyway, but I also want very much to play the game, think I'll look into watching the show first. Thank you!

To be able to fully understand what is happening...yes, you should. Right from the start, the episode starts with a huge spoiler from the th

• Don't mention it. Hope you have a great time watching the show and playing the game just like the rest of us:). Just a warning, the show does start a bit slowly in order to introduce you to the different characters and locations, but it's worth it.

Keep us posted if you have the chance.

Elzio posted: »

Well, I was planning to watch the series anyway, but I also want very much to play the game, think I'll look into watching the show first. Thank you!

• ArthurVArthurV Telltale Alumni

It's helpful (but not necessary) to watch the show at least through Season 3 before starting the game. You'll get a lot more context and references that way. Reading through A Storm of Swords works too.

• Definitely.

Much easier to understand what's going on, and you'll understand the significance of the Red Wedding.

• Good to hear. I'm reading Storm of Swords right now, and only on Season 2 of the show. I'll probably play the first episode after I'm halfway through the book. Very excited to see your take on the world and characters!

ArthurV posted: »

It's helpful (but not necessary) to watch the show at least through Season 3 before starting the game. You'll get a lot more context and references that way. Reading through A Storm of Swords works too.

• The main danger IMO is spoiling the third season (or equivalently, the third book, which is A Storm of Swords). While the stories are somewhat different, for spoiler purposes they may be treated as one and the same.

The Telltale game does a good job of telling its own tale without just retelling the books, but it is still a story set in Westeros during the timeframe of the books. Certain events can't very well be ignored.

Once you have read past, say, Chapter 60 of Storm it is IMO safe to start the game. If your book has no chapter 60, that must mean that you are reading the UK version and must follow into "Blood and Gold" for at least 20 Chapters or so.

• edited December 2014

You will probably 'get' the main plot of the episode 1, but in the later episodes you will likely have a very hard time understanding the events/people the characters are referring to and such as it takes place (and also spoils) the end of Season 3 and onwards. I think you need to have some basic knowledge on the world of Westeros like the major characters/groups/houses, political system and important historical events in the timeline.

• Did watching the first half of the season avoid spoilers?

NiC0_16 posted: »

Good to hear. I'm reading Storm of Swords right now, and only on Season 2 of the show. I'll probably play the first episode after I'm halfway through the book. Very excited to see your take on the world and characters!

• As many people said; yes. With that way, you'll be able to fully understand how the game works. Especially in the beginning for the game, as it starts from a huge spoiler of the show.

• You need to watch up to at least up to season 4 episode 2.

• I agree with majority. For fully understanding what's happening toy should. I did the same before playing and now both of them are my fav of adventure games and tv series.

• Actually there is a pretty big season 4 spoiler in the game.

ArthurV posted: »

• "Should I watch the series in order to understand what is going on at the game?" not really, but it's much better if you do. Don't go beyond the red wedding tho, or you'll get spoilers from the show

Sign in to comment in this discussion.