Sam 'n Max is shaping up

edited September 2006 in Sam & Max
So far I'm impressed by the screenshots and talk of features, monthly releases, etc. One thing is still in the back of my head though - how are you guys handling copy protection?

I know you are all probably sick of me asking, but I thought with its release so soon its the best time to ask, Will it be hardware fingerprinting? Online authentication? Steam-like utility?

I ask because I actually would like to give Sam 'n Max a try, but this worry is still there. If I buy the CD-version or compliations (assuming of course there will be some later) will they feature copy protection of an online-sort?

I've bit the bullet and played HL2:Episode 1, but at least I know my account works on any PC. Hardware fingerprinting bothers me greatly.

Comments

• edited August 2006
    I doubt the boxed sets will have any online authentication. That would kind of be against the whole point of selling a box-set separately from the online options.

But that's just me guessing.
  • edited August 2006
    Well actually HL2 uses authentication on their boxed copies. Thats kind of why I'm worried. Although - would it be just an online check or the whole hardware oriented cd-key deal you folks use with Bone?
  • edited August 2006
    I doubt the boxed sets will have any online authentication. That would kind of be against the whole point of selling a box-set separately from the online options.

But that's just me guessing.

I don't think that's how it works. As far as I know, the Bone boxed games still require online authentification, especially since it allows you to download and play the game while it is being shipped to you. I could be wrong, though. I didn't bother with paying extra plus shipping for what amounts to a DVD case. Maybe when the whole Bone series is over...

I guess it's still possible they would do something different for Sam & Max season sets, but only if those are purchased outside of the Telltale Now site, like in a brick & mortar store or some other place. The retail boxed version of Telltale Texas Hold'em doesn't have any online authentication that I know of, so there's some hope for you there if Telltale is able to go that route with a partner publisher.

If you live in the US, you can just subscribe to GameTap and be able to play Sam & Max to try them out. It's not a solution to hardware fingerprinting, because you don't get to keep the games, but at least you get to play the S&M episodes as well as whole bunch of other games. Otherwise, I think you're out of luck concerning Sam & Max.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2006
    The CD versions of the Bone games require one-time online activation. It's similar to many other programs that are released these days. You are sent a CD which includes a serial number which you enter when installing the game. The installer uses the internet to make sure you're using a serial number that hasn't been abused in the past (for instance, if someone were to post their Bone CD serial number on a warez site or p2p service and a bunch of people downloaded it, because we do online activation and check for serial number abuse, those people wouldn't be able to activate their game with that pirated serial number). Once you've activated your game you don't need to be connected to the Internet ever again - the serial checker only has to connect that first time.

Alternatively, if the computer you wish to use isn't ever connected to the Internet, you can contact Telltale with your serial number and we can give you an offline activation key.

All that said, though, that's just how our Bone CD installer currently works. I don't know how the packaged Sam & Max will operate, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was something similar.
  • edited August 2006
    Once I connect, its just to check the key included in the box? So in other words no hardware-related protection? If so then I just might check this out.
  • edited August 2006
    I believe it will be built around a system of pulleys and levers
  • edited September 2006
    I'm thinking mind control.
  • edited September 2006
    I believe it will be built around a system of pulleys and levers
    With booby traps!
  • edited September 2006
    And eggs also.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.