What happens if Malcom stays?

At one point in the game when playing as Ethan, you have the option to send Malcom away and look for asher. What happens if he stays? I have played through the game twice and in my second playtrough I told him to stay, but when watching the trailer in the end, it appeared that he was with asher anyway. Lady Forrester obviously sent him away anyway, but do you think that not sending him away in the first episode will have a big impact on the second episode?

Comments

• It won't braces to hear complaining of how choices mean nothing from annoying fans

Honestly, I think Malcolm will be sent to Essos in Ep.2 regardless if you told him to stay or sent him. Otherwise, how else would he have known about Ethan's death and able to tell Asher about it? Send a raven? Possibly, but I doubt it.

• Im guessing the mom goes "oh well ethan is dead I'll send you anyway"

• Yeah, we learned that from The Wolf Among us.

• InGen_Nate_KennyInGen_Nate_Kenny Moderator
    edited December 2014

Yeah, I agree with that. Makes a lot of sense.

Im guessing the mom goes "oh well ethan is dead I'll send you anyway"

• Maybe Malcolm will get to Asher faster? We will have to wait for Episde 2 to tell.

• That's exactly why Ethan dies no matter what.

• Yeah without Ethan to forbid Malcom from going to Essos there really isn't a reason for them not to find Asher.

• Maybe that's the difference. If Ethan sends Malcolm, he leaves promptly and doesn't know that Ethan dies, ergo neither does Asher, at least he won't until he returns to Westeros, affecting his attitude the whole way there, being very reluctant. He chose exile. However, if Malcolm is told to stay, then he will have the news of Ethan's death to bear to Asher when Lady Forrester insists again, and I'm sure that would change Asher's tune immensely. The difference could have a bearing on dialogue choices, or even Asher's decisions when it comes down to him making a call. He may want to seek quick, if brusque ends to problems to return to Westeros as soon as possible. If reluctant, his choices may cause him to linger and relax whenever Malcolm isn't pestering him.

It won't braces to hear complaining of how choices mean nothing from annoying fans Honestly, I think Malcolm will be sent to Essos in Ep.

• Likely, but knowing Telltale if Malcolm's departure is delayed its likely that they'll just get a raven or something bearing news of Ethan's murder

Hbh128 posted: »

Maybe that's the difference. If Ethan sends Malcolm, he leaves promptly and doesn't know that Ethan dies, ergo neither does Asher, at least

• Choices having that big an effect?

Alt text

• That depends, do you truly believe the Forresters are just going to tell their captives "Hey, we just need to send this raven/Malcolm to get our buddy Asher, a vengeful warrior, hope you don't mind!"

Likely, but knowing Telltale if Malcolm's departure is delayed its likely that they'll just get a raven or something bearing news of Ethan's murder

• Good point. Gryff Whitehill will probably have someone guarding the ravens. If I were the invading party, I would not allow them to communicate with the world beyond the region I invaded. That's "captors" btw.

K0t0 posted: »

That depends, do you truly believe the Forresters are just going to tell their captives "Hey, we just need to send this raven/Malcolm to get our buddy Asher, a vengeful warrior, hope you don't mind!"

• shit

Hbh128 posted: »

Good point. Gryff Whitehill will probably have someone guarding the ravens. If I were the invading party, I would not allow them to communicate with the world beyond the region I invaded. That's "captors" btw.

• edited December 2014

Malcoln could not leave after Ethans death because im pretty sure Gryff would not let anyone leave so Lady forrester probably sent him even if you told him to stay before Ethans death

• Probably the only difference we'll get is if you said not to find Asher, Malcolm will be like "lel your bro didn't want you to come back".

Maybe Malcolm will get to Asher faster? We will have to wait for Episde 2 to tell.

• Agreed. I think she didn't really care about what "Lord" Ethan says. He was a sweet boy but just a boy. She wanted a real man (Asher) to be a lord. Remember that in the codex it was stated she swore to keep her house from falling (or sth like that). Yep, I think she sent him.

Malcoln could not leave after Ethans death because im pretty sure Gryff would not let anyone leave so Lady forrester probably sent him even if you told him to stay before Ethans death

• They leave behind a 20 man garrison. Was the implication that they only needed 20 dudes to control a hostile castle including shutting down all communication, or was it more of an extra deterrent to act silly on top of the hostage?

Like didn't they say the Whitehills have 5 times the man power as we did? If 20 dudes is a massive numerical advantage over us, that means that the Whitehills have like, 50 dudes. Clearly writers arent good with numbers, but still I read the garrison in a slightly different light.

• As well as The Walking Dead Game both Seasons, mostly Season 2.

Yeah, we learned that from The Wolf Among us.

• She could've done it behind his back.

• I don't think she wanted Asher to be Lord but at the same time I don't think she completely trusted Ethan's judgment if his decisions didn't help the house in her opinion. So yeah, its likely she sends Malcolm regardless.

GF1115 posted: »

Agreed. I think she didn't really care about what "Lord" Ethan says. He was a sweet boy but just a boy. She wanted a real man (Asher) to be

• edited January 2015

This is exactly what I thought

• You have to take into account that a vast majority of the Forrester soldiers were killed at the Red Wedding, and any survivors of the initial slaughter were probably executed or scattered around the woods, awaiting death. The Whitehills didn't have their men slaughtered, so they automatically have a huge advantage over the Forresters,

n00b_f00 posted: »

They leave behind a 20 man garrison. Was the implication that they only needed 20 dudes to control a hostile castle including shutting down

• edited January 2015

The Forresters are the vassals of the Glovers, who are in turn vassals of the Starks, who rule over the North, which has fewer people than any other kingdom. In other words, they're the vassals of a vassal in the least populated kingdom in Westeros. It's actually more surprising they even have something as impressive as the castle they do have, let alone however many men they're supposed to have sworn to them.

It would be much easier to gauge how many men they're supposed to have if there were ranks like Baron and Duke and Count and so forth. GRRM kinda screwed up on that account, since everyone from the lowest holder of the tiniest castle to Tywin Lannister himself is just called 'Lord.'

n00b_f00 posted: »

They leave behind a 20 man garrison. Was the implication that they only needed 20 dudes to control a hostile castle including shutting down

• Yeah, but some lords are taken less seriously than others. The definition of "lord" is "someone or something having power, authority, or influence; a master or ruler." So, anybody that's in charge of their House, be it big or small, is rightly considered a lord. You can be a lord all you want, but if your House is as small as the Forresters, then less people will consider you a big threat.

MrMiyagi posted: »

The Forresters are the vassals of the Glovers, who are in turn vassals of the Starks, who rule over the North, which has fewer people than a

• edited January 2015

Obviously. But with more elaborate titles, you could tell at a glance that a Duke is more to be feared than a Baron, for example. As it stands, you'd have to learn more about who the Lord is before you could gauge how much of a threat they are.

In any case, fun with numbers: the show repeatedly makes a point of mentioning that the North has around 20,000 men. It never mentions how many survive after the Red Wedding, but the books do, I think.

At some point, I seem to recall aDwD mentioning something like one Northman came back for every ten who marched south, with the majority being Bolton men. Take those numbers into account and divide them by all the various major and minor houses that follow the Starks. Copied and pasted from the SoIaF wiki, that's:

• Cerwyn ·
    • Dustin
    • Flint of Flint's Finger
    • Flint of Widow's Watch
    • Hornwood
    • Karstark
    • Locke
    • Manderly
    • Mormont
    • Reed
    • Ryswell
    • Umber
    • Glover
    • Tallhart

Those are the major houses. There are minor ones, too, lots of them, including the Forresters.

Considering all that, a 20 man garrison doesn't look quite as ridiculous as it might otherwise. Most Forrester men were likely killed at the Red Wedding or at the various battles that preceded it, but even if they weren't it's just not a very important noble house and therefore can't field much of an army. It's part of the reason why Royland struck me as pretty idiotic to think he could instill any fear in the Boltons.

Yeah, but some lords are taken less seriously than others. The definition of "lord" is "someone or something having power, authority, or inf

• I agree. And Royland was pretty naive in thinking that House Forrester should risk a fight of any kind, which is why I chose Duncan as my Sentinel my first time playing through. Royland seems like an interesting character and all, but he couldn't be more wrong in that situation.

MrMiyagi posted: »

Obviously. But with more elaborate titles, you could tell at a glance that a Duke is more to be feared than a Baron, for example. As it stan

Sign in to comment in this discussion.