I Understand Some of GoT, But I Like to Know More

So Iron From Ice intrigued me far more than I thought would. I've done some reading, but my knowledge is still in its infancy. I'm considering watching the show, but I doubt I will be able to. I know about the House system, the Red Wedding, The Wall, Ramsay Snow, the Starks, the Forresters, Whitehills, but I'm rather confused on Margery and Cersei bitter relationship, because from what I've read Margery is betrothed to King Joffery, Cersei's son, Essos, and the whole King's Landing stuff.

If someone can tell me about these and possibly go into more detail of the world of GoT, I'd appreciate it greatly.

Comments

• It's a long story about Cersei vs Margaery, it's best to read the books, but, it's about a prophecy Cersei received while still a teenage girl about a young queen, who would replace her, after which she'll die at the hands of "valonqar" ("little brother" in Valyrian). Also, Cersei is simply resentful of growing Tyrell influence.

• InGen_Nate_KennyInGen_Nate_Kenny Moderator
    edited December 2014

Does Cersei have any living siblings? And this language Valyrian, is it an old language in Westeros, like Latin in our world? Or is it a commonly spoken tongue?

Lingvort posted: »

It's a long story about Cersei vs Margaery, it's best to read the books, but, it's about a prophecy Cersei received while still a teenage gi

• Valyrian was a language of, guess what, Freehold of Valyria, which dominated Essos until the Doom of Valyria, which destroyed it and allowed its colonial cities to rise. Those are known as the Free Cities within the game. It is like Latin of our world, meaning that it's no longer spoken as widely, and not in its original High Valyrian (parallel with classic Latin) form, only in severely bastardized ones.

And, yes, two, Jaime and Tyrion, both are alive by the fifth book and Season 5 of the show.

Does Cersei have any living siblings? And this language Valyrian, is it an old language in Westeros, like Latin in our world? Or is it a commonly spoken tongue?

•  from what I've read Margery is betrothed to King Joffery, Cersei's son

Right you are. That is a marriage of convenience, meant to tie Houses Tyrell and Lannister so that they both have a claim to the throne in the future. For the Lannisters it is a way of securing the support of Highgarden at a time when their food is badly needed in King's Landing. That does not mean that they like House Tyrell or trust them.

Essos is the continent to the East of Westeros, where Asher has been living for the last few years. It is in fact far bigger than Westeros, and fairly mysterious. The Seven Kingdoms and the Iron Throne have no domain there.

King's Landing is so named because it is the place where Aegon Targaryen the First landed with his Dragons some 300 years ago, beginning his conquest of Westeros and unifying it under a sole King. It is one of the very few big cities in Westeros, and the capital of one of the regions of Westeros, the Crownlands.

While it is traditional to speak of the "Seven Kingdoms", there are currently nine regions, not seven, and none of them is acknowledged as a Kingdom of its own. Robb Stark has recently presented his claim to reestablish the North as an independent Kingdom, though.

Currently, the nine regions are the North (associated with Houses Stark, Bolton and Forrester), the Stormlands (associated with House Baratheon), the Riverlands (associated with Houses Frey and Tully), the Crownlands, the Reach (associated with House Tyrell), the Iron Islands, the Vale of Arryn (associated with House Arryn), Dorne (associated with House Martell), and the Westerlands (associated with House Lannister).

• Essos is the continent to the East of Westeros, where Asher has been living for the last few years. It is in fact far bigger than Westeros, and fairly mysterious. The Seven Kingdoms and the Iron Throne have no domain there.

Is there a reason the Iron Throne has no domain there? And apparently exiles, like Asher go there? Is there native inhabitants to it?

LuisDantas posted: »

from what I've read Margery is betrothed to King Joffery, Cersei's son Right you are. That is a marriage of convenience, meant to tie Ho

• Fascinating. Thanks man!

I'm rooting for Tyrion now...

Lingvort posted: »

Valyrian was a language of, guess what, Freehold of Valyria, which dominated Essos until the Doom of Valyria, which destroyed it and allowed

• No problem, dude.

Fascinating. Thanks man! I'm rooting for Tyrion now...

• Yes, Essos is impressively populated. It has a diversity of cultures, many of which are enslavers, some of which are impressively rich.

It is also where the Targaryens originally came from.

Essos is the continent to the East of Westeros, where Asher has been living for the last few years. It is in fact far bigger than Westeros,

• Jaime's more likely to kill her, however,

• Aren't they lovers though? Joffery being their illegitimate son?

Jaime's more likely to kill her, however,

• The best way to know more is to obviously watch the shows or read the books.
    There are also lots of wiki's about it. But that would kind of demean the shows awesomeness.

• edited December 2014

Yeah, but Cersei does some bad stuff and things through the books and Jaime starts to dislike her.

However that has only happened in the books so far, not the show.

Aren't they lovers though? Joffery being their illegitimate son?

• its a shame this guy is being cryptic with you for the sole sake of seeming like a smartarse.

you ask about her siblings.
    Remember the dwarf sitting next to her? Her younger brother.

See not so hard lingvort, its called neccessary information, not the smartarse crap just to confuse the guy

• good gosh again you give this guy unneccessary adn false information.

Essos has its own politics and is otherwise not concerned with Westeros (although Daenrys one of the people with claims to the throne is there, among others who arent important yet)

MORE IMPORTANTLY and foolishly left out by the others here: Essos is home to Bravos, a trade city and of whom the crown of Weateros owns a n ever-loving sh*t-tonne of money to.

LuisDantas posted: »

from what I've read Margery is betrothed to King Joffery, Cersei's son Right you are. That is a marriage of convenience, meant to tie Ho

• This is when I tell you to read the books and/or watch the show.

• "the valonqar shall wrap his hands about your pale white throat and choke the life from you"

It doesn't necessarily mean her younger brother, but I agree Jaime is most likely!

• Jaime is her younger brother by like two minutes

tmsmyth4 posted: »

"the valonqar shall wrap his hands about your pale white throat and choke the life from you" It doesn't necessarily mean her younger brother, but I agree Jaime is most likely!

• I was thinking valonqar could end up being someone else's younger brother ie. Stannis, Sandor

Jaime makes the most sense though, during his time with Brienne there is some potential foreshadowing:

"I cannot die while Cersei lives, he told himself. We will die together as we were born together."

KCohere posted: »

Jaime is her younger brother by like two minutes

• edited January 2015

In the books she thinks all the time: "Now that Tyrion is far away he can't touch me, that psychic was wrong !"

I mean, it's so implicit that Jaime is gonna kill her that I ain't even in doubt,

K0t0 posted: »

its a shame this guy is being cryptic with you for the sole sake of seeming like a smartarse. you ask about her siblings. Remember the d

• I've seen a great theory about the "valonqar". It said that Jaime might possibly come back to King's Landing and fight for Cersei but eventually he'll be beaten and he will die. Cersei will run to him and at this moment he'll choke her to put her out of her misery and to not let Cersei to loose her honour and glory.

Sounds kinda cool.

• He goes to Lady Stoneheart's hideout in book four's ou book five's ending.

That can be a reason for him to kill her too, I don't know how however.

• Alt text

Don't even get me started. HYPAR TIEM!

• Asking people with knowledge on it is quicker but may be more confusing than reading the books or watching the television series :x

• Yeah but its always kind of simplified and innaccurate

prink34320 posted: »

Asking people with knowledge on it is quicker but may be more confusing than reading the books or watching the television series :x

• edited January 2015

So fucking confirmed that it hurts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psS2IMFkxKo

Valar Hypeghulis

Churned posted: »

Don't even get me started. HYPAR TIEM!

• Not when the people you ask are hardcore fans.

Yeah but its always kind of simplified and innaccurate

Sign in to comment in this discussion.