How successfull will this game actually be?

I see a lot of comments from people saying that "Telltale are just for money" or "it'll bring in more money and a bigger fanbase" when they talk about this new Minecraft game- but I've got to ask, how successful will this game actually be?

For a start no Telltale fan really wanted it, and though I'm sure a lot of Telltale fans will still play it not all of them will (such as myself). So immediately this game has lost a large section of the overall Telltale fans.

Then, you have to ask, how much demand for a game like this was there from Minecraft gamers themselves? I can't really make a judgement on this as I last played Minecraft a long, long time ago and I wasn't that big of a fan, but amongst Minecraft fans I imagine there wasn't any demand either. And how many Minecrafters will actually play this game anyway- Telltale make more character based games, something which (no offence intended) the majority of Minecraft players aren't really that interested in.

A lot of people (and myself, sometimes) have spoke about this game like it's association with Minecraft is immediately going to make it popular, but that just isn't true- look at GOT, which is one of the most popular TV Shows out there right now but that success hasn't meant the Telltale version has become immensely popular (yet). There was no demand from anyone for this game, not from Telltale fans or Minecraft players, so how much money will Telltale really get out of this game? Are they trying to make a quick buck or is this just a pet project that isn't really profit motivated?

I think the success of this game may hang on whether Minecraft THEMSELVES endorse and advertise this game to their viewers. And you never know, if the Telltale version got successful enough I could easily imagine Minecraft adding in items referring to the Telltale game. However, if the people at Minecraft don't advertise the game to their players then I can't see this thing getting too much attention.

Plus, a lot of people are saying the money will come from the new younger audience the game will bring- but Telltale is (or rather has become) an adult gaming company, and how many young people (I'm guessing the average Minecraft player is around 10-14 years old, again no offence intended to those over that age) are really going to be interested in a more intellectual, character based game when they can just play Minecraft and make their own stories or play Adventure Maps (if you don't know what they are, its basically Minecrafters making little minimaps with a bunch of quests and stuff for others to play)?

Anyone agree/disagree?

Comments

• I actually think it's very smart for Telltale to build a game that expands their demographic. Keeping in mind that Minecraft's demographic ranges from children to adults. So if they can make a game that's fun enough for children and also smart enough for adults, they will be doing very well!

But ultimately to answer the question:

How successfull will this game actually be?

It depends on how good a job Telltale games does. Nothing is a guaranteed failure or success, but I'm glad they're taking on this project.

• True, but even if they do a good job they won't make much money if no one hears or is interested in the game.

Eidrog posted: »

I actually think it's very smart for Telltale to build a game that expands their demographic. Keeping in mind that Minecraft's demographic r

• If they do a good job, I think word will get out. They did a fantastic job with The Walking Dead which really exploded their popularity -- and when they announced they were going to do a Walking Dead game (back in 2012, was it?) I'm sure there must have been some confusion and disinterest both from fans of Telltale Games and from The Walking Dead fanbase. :)

True, but even if they do a good job they won't make much money if no one hears or is interested in the game.

• Good point. Must say I agree with you there. Let's just hope they do a good job then :)

If they do a good job, I think word will get out. They did a fantastic job with The Walking Dead which really exploded their popularity -- a

• I honestly don't know. The sales for Ep.1 will probably be immensely high, as Minecraft fans will just see the name Minecraft on it and instantly purchase it, but that doesn't really mean anything. Sales could drop from there, people could lose interest, or who the hell knows? This could be Telltale's next Walking Dead (doubt it).

Some Minecraft fans may not even want to buy it. I doubt hardcore Minecraft fans are ones to really get into stories, but like I said - who the hell knows? Only time will tell

• The next Walking Dead? That's a horrifying thought :)

As Eidrog very correctly pointed out, how good the game is may well determine whether this latest Telltale game is a success or not. If it's good it'll only collect more followers. If not, then it'll fail.

As for the first game selling immensely though, that's why I really started this thread: if a lot of (unhappy) Telltale fans don't buy it and the (majority of) disinterested Minecraft people don't either, then it leaves a narrow base of people who will buy this game. If the Minecraft people advertise it to their fans then it'll sell really well, at least in the first episode. If they don't then I can't see it making any sales records like a lot of people seem to think it will (that's sales records for Telltale, not ever :) )

I honestly don't know. The sales for Ep.1 will probably be immensely high, as Minecraft fans will just see the name Minecraft on it and inst

• I'm sure being a Minecraft game in of itself would help the game be noticed, but if the game is good in quality like TWD S1 then word of mouth will spread just like the good old days. One guy will tell two friends and those two will tell two friends and so on. The only problem I see with this game is trying to get adults/teenagers to play it even if it is extremely good they will still see it as a kid's game.

• While Minecraft is very popular amongst kids, It's definitely not exclusively a kid's game. Just look at all the videos posted on Youtube. Minecraft has a very broad demographic. :)

DoubleJump posted: »

I'm sure being a Minecraft game in of itself would help the game be noticed, but if the game is good in quality like TWD S1 then word of mou

• If you go back to the early pages of the Walking Dead section, there's quite a few threads similar to what we've got here.

If they do a good job, I think word will get out. They did a fantastic job with The Walking Dead which really exploded their popularity -- a

• Wether or not the game will appeal to the Minecraft fanbase depends on how creative and interesting the story is. Last year, I posted an idea for a Minecraft story on a Minecraft forum and the response from adult fans was very positive. If the story is well-written, then I think it will appeal to at least some Minecraft fans, especially the older ones.

• We won't know for sure until it comes out.

• here's hoping it fails otherwise we might even get Minecraft S2

• edited January 2015

Not necessarily true. The Wolf Among Us got really good reviews from most critics and is being nominated for a couple different GOTY awards but it seems like it won't get a S2 (starts crying)

Journey95 posted: »

here's hoping it fails otherwise we might even get Minecraft S2

• Really what reviews? The intensity is killing me :x

Not necessarily true. The Wolf Among Us got really good reviews from most critics and is being nominated for a couple different GOTY awards but it seems like it won't get a S2 (starts crying)

• It most likely will since MineCraft itself is one of the biggest games on the charts.

• I've seen Minecraft guides at the local bookstore. Overprized crap aimed at children. Kids seem really into the whole franchise and would buy all kinds of crap. So Telltale are probably going to make some easy money. And maybe My Little Pony, One Direction and Monster High games would follow.
    But this isn't the Telltale I liked a few years back, so I won't weep over them selling their souls or anything. It's all about the money, this is just a business, who cares anyway. I lost all faith in these guys a long time ago, around the time they ruined the forums. And while their games have nice stories and are backed by popular franchises, the developer abandoned the puzzles, adventure games and even most gameplay in favor of a more simple formula. Now the Telltale titles are all casual tablet-friendly quick-time events stuck between hour-long cinematics and dialog options with no real consequence. Most choices you take in their games don't really matter. It's the illusion you are playing a game and the illusion that your choices would ultimately matter which is the worst thing with these games of recent years. The franchises they piggyback on won't support that forever, sooner or later the formula would get stale. Which is probably the reason they are reaching for something as huge as Minecraft.

• I see it being like Wolf Among Us. Lots of success but nothing as far as Walking Dead or what Game of Thrones or Borderlands can be.

prink34320 posted: »

It most likely will since MineCraft itself is one of the biggest games on the charts.

• I agree with you. They put aside good games to make both this and borderlands. I don't know how "great" this game with be, but putting aside games they know were good and made a good amount of money... is this really a smart move for telltale?

• Just google The Wolf Among Us reviews...I don't know how intensity is killing you for something you can easily look up.

Really what reviews? The intensity is killing me :x

• I guess some people can't sense sarcasm ;-;

Just google The Wolf Among Us reviews...I don't know how intensity is killing you for something you can easily look up.

• Wait, have you even played the Borderlands game they made?

Icey2345 posted: »

I agree with you. They put aside good games to make both this and borderlands. I don't know how "great" this game with be, but putting aside games they know were good and made a good amount of money... is this really a smart move for telltale?

• Well, I saw zero sarcasm in that post and sarcasm is hard to see over the internet...Which you can't hear the other persons voice.

I guess some people can't sense sarcasm ;-;

• is minecraft still popular?

• edited January 2015

No, Minecraft isn't popular at all! It isn't like there's tons of popular products for it or anything!

Alt text

Oh...

Alt text

Oh...

Alt text

Oh...

NukemDukem posted: »

is minecraft still popular?

• Tales from the Borderlands has gotten really great reviews and no one knows anything about this game yet so how can you say if its a smart move for Telltale?

Icey2345 posted: »

I agree with you. They put aside good games to make both this and borderlands. I don't know how "great" this game with be, but putting aside games they know were good and made a good amount of money... is this really a smart move for telltale?

• I'm sorry ... I didn't want to make it seem like bashing the games...

Tales from the Borderlands has gotten really great reviews and no one knows anything about this game yet so how can you say if its a smart move for Telltale?

• I guess it's back to using bracketed sarcasm.

Well, I saw zero sarcasm in that post and sarcasm is hard to see over the internet...Which you can't hear the other persons voice.

• If it avoids incidents such as this then maybe so.

I guess it's back to using bracketed sarcasm.

• edited January 2015

No, I am saying I think the hype is not there as much and right now it seems going on the down trend. This is just my opinion I never covered the game so I wouldn't know. I used to get a lot of demands to cover it but not so much anymore. It might be my fans realize that I won't cover it so they stopped asking.

No, Minecraft isn't popular at all! It isn't like there's tons of popular products for it or anything! Oh... Oh... Oh...

• Okay then, I understand.

No, I am saying I think the hype is not there as much and right now it seems going on the down trend. This is just my opinion I never covere

• I haven't played/seen the Borderland games at all so I can't really judge them. I had initially not bothered since the franchise is based on a video game and I didn't expect it to be very good (that assumption mostly comes from watching video games turned into movies, eg: Tron or Resident Evil)

dojo32161 posted: »

Wait, have you even played the Borderlands game they made?

• There was a lot of hype initially after the games announcement, mostly because Minecraft is a huge title, but that hype was never going o be sustained forever. It'll pick up again as we near the release date (whenever that is. I don't believe they're announced a release date, or have they?)

No, I am saying I think the hype is not there as much and right now it seems going on the down trend. This is just my opinion I never covere

• So far from its first episode it's looking to be my favorite Telltale series.

I haven't played/seen the Borderland games at all so I can't really judge them. I had initially not bothered since the franchise is based on

• No release dates, I believe Tales from the Borderlands first episode wasn't given a release until the day before, however 2015 has been confirmed.

There was a lot of hype initially after the games announcement, mostly because Minecraft is a huge title, but that hype was never going o be

• I'm guessing then it'll come out around the back end of 2015. I've heard a lot of people saying it'll come out around the same time as TWD S3, which I believe has already been confirmed to come out at the back end of 2015. So far away :(

No release dates, I believe Tales from the Borderlands first episode wasn't given a release until the day before, however 2015 has been confirmed.

• Actually, TWD S3 doesn't even have confirmation to be released in 2015, it could even be early 2016 for it.

I'm guessing then it'll come out around the back end of 2015. I've heard a lot of people saying it'll come out around the same time as TWD S3, which I believe has already been confirmed to come out at the back end of 2015. So far away

• Oh, I thought it had been. Hopefully we won't have to wait another year for it to come out :(

Actually, TWD S3 doesn't even have confirmation to be released in 2015, it could even be early 2016 for it.

• OzzyUKOzzyUK Moderator

They said there will be news about season 3 in 2015 so we will hear something about it but there is no confirmed release time frame yet.

Oh, I thought it had been. Hopefully we won't have to wait another year for it to come out

Sign in to comment in this discussion.