The Voice of Herman Toothrot

The best thing they could do if they were to remake 'escape' would be to recast the voice of Herman Toothrot. If Escape had only 1 failing then it was the voice of this character.

The guy who did the voice clearly looked at the art and thought "Hmmm... This guy looks like one of those 'old coots' from black and white westerns set in the gold rush era, to me... I think I'll make him sound like one, too!".

Even if nobody felt comfortable going with a more traditional euro-accent they could have at least gone for a generic US accent, like Guybrush's. (It sounds generic to me, sorry to anybody from the US who might have taken some offense to this)

Comments

• edited June 2009
    Funny, I thought that old coot voice fit perfectly!
  • edited June 2009
    I take no offense to the to the generic accent comment... because there definitely is a generic American accent.. news people speak in them. BUT, I disagree Dominic definitely has a distinct accent... sounds upper Midwest.....Or maybe even a little east coast.
  • edited June 2009
    Funny, I thought that old coot voice fit perfectly!

Likewise. The man had been marooned for years and was clearly a Alexander Selkirk/Robinson Crusoe type cliche with lots of character and elderly screeching.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    Yeah I had always sort of expected Herman Toothrot to have the ol' prospector voice, and when he did it was the opposite of surprising to me!
  • edited June 2009
    Jake wrote: »
    Yeah I had always sort of expected Herman Toothrot to have the ol' prospector voice, and when he did it was the opposite of surprising to me!
    Does this mean mean that we can expect Toothrot's voice to sound like that if he appears in tales?

I guess I was just expecting something closer to the more traditional cliché Cornish accents that pirates always seem to have in movies, just a bit older; maybe rasping a little. That's to say; a little more like LeChucks, only older and less aggressive.

I never really thought that the "ole prospector" accent was just the way United Stateians talk when they get old. But then I never really thought about it, but I did once see a "Joe Gets" pod (it was the one at the lumberjacking event) and one guy who was in his late 20s/early 30s spoke with an accent alot like that old stereotype, it was particularly noticeable when he laughed. I don't know if his accent was typical of people from that area or if he immigrated from another part of the country, but I'm sure it's more likely to be regional than caused by age.
  • edited June 2009
    Huh. Is there a European equivalent to the "old prospector" voice? Other than old Cornish/Devon accents?
  • edited June 2009
    Not that I'm aware of. The Cornish accent is the one usually used for pirates in most pirate movies.

Now I think about it Cornwall is also very well known for a particularly famous highwayman.
  • edited June 2009
    I've always found pirate-accents tend to also wade into generic country-farmer.

But I think that's just bad voice-acting.
  • edited June 2009
    His voice worked for me!
  • edited June 2009
    Marduk wrote: »
    Not that I'm aware of. The Cornish accent is the one usually used for pirates in most pirate movies.

Now I think about it Cornwall is also very well known for a particularly famous highwayman.

Really? Who? Pirates of Penzance was set there, but who's this famous highwayman?
  • edited June 2009
    If I could remember I would have mentioned :P Sorry, I don't like to write things I don't know if I can back up. All I remember is my [former] step father telling me about some pub down there with a lot of possessions of this one famous highway man, including the remains of his horse and how he'd like us to have a family holiday down that way, some time.

TBH I don't know why I mentioned this at all. It's completely off topic.
  • edited June 2009
    TBH good old Yorkist, Dick Turpin pwns any and all highwaymen, every. Full stop. :cool:

Can Dick Turpin cameo in ToMI? Please please please? :p
Sign in to comment in this discussion.