Lechuck...

Just wondering why the voice of guybrush is doing both the remake of the first game and tales of monkey island yet the voice of lechuck is doing the remake but not tales of monkey island?

Bit strange, would've loved to see him reprise his role. :(

Do any of the telltale gang know why he's not doing it?

Comments

• edited June 2009
    I don't know for sure but I would imagine that for a semi-retired actor it was easy to do a record for a script just about set in stone for one game than a scripts which could change for 5 episodes with possible sequels.
  • edited June 2009
    I guess Earl Boen didn't want to keep travelling out of Hawaii once a month to record voices for each episode which I guess must be a lot of air miles if he's doing that.
  • edited June 2009
    I do not blame him for not doing it.... But im sure he could have recorded it in a local recording studio.. VIA satellite... thats what Frank oz did for his recording of Yoda.
  • edited June 2009
    Dominic commented upon this in the preorder forum. He stated (part jokingly, probably) that Earl is living it up in some remote part of the world and very rarely does Voice over work now.
  • edited June 2009
    EDIT: Arrgh, wrong thread.
  • edited June 2009
    I guess Earl Boen didn't want to keep travelling out of Hawaii once a month to record voices for each episode which I guess must be a lot of air miles if he's doing that.

Surely they could have written/recorded his dialog in advance though?

I mean they must have a very good idea of how things are going to pan out throughout the 5 games. The story doesn't seem like something to change very much at the last minute.
  • edited July 2009
    Surely they could have written/recorded his dialog in advance though?

I mean they must have a very good idea of how things are going to pan out throughout the 5 games. The story doesn't seem like something to change very much at the last minute.

I think that episodes 4 and 5 and aren't even written at all yet in terms of dialogue... (TTG please correct me if Im wrong) And there are bound to be changes and re-records.
  • edited July 2009
    Even if they had written all the episodes in advance, by the end of the series, some amount of re-writing would surely be required, so you can't just record voices right at the beginning of the whole series.

I think the new actor does a fine job and to my mind it's a bit hard on him to criticize him for no other reason than the fact that he's not Earl Boen.
  • edited July 2009
    I think he sounds great! It was only Dominic that I cared about returning TBH.
  • edited July 2009
    Couldn't they have at least made the voice sound deeper in post-production?

The voice isn't booming or menacing at all. I miss the sort of echoing, thumping sound of Earl Boen's LeChuck. TBH I really think it could be fixed by a small bit of audio manipulation. It just sounds so weak :/
  • edited July 2009
    inso wrote: »
    I think the new actor does a fine job and to my mind it's a bit hard on him to criticize him for no other reason than the fact that he's not Earl Boen.

Seconded. I'm sure that he does his best, and we should encourage him! I think he's doing a better than great job! :D Thank you Mr. Actor, sir!
  • edited July 2009
    Couldn't they have at least made the voice sound deeper in post-production?

The voice isn't booming or menacing at all.

I plan to ride the gain of my subwoofer throughout LeChuck's scenes. (Ride it all the way to the bank!)
  • edited July 2009
    He sounds much better in the new video, as though the actor has actually made an effort to learn a decent pirate accent. The only problem is his laugh: HAR... HAR... HAR. Stilted and forced.

If the actor can dispense with that, he ought to be pretty good.
  • edited July 2009
    I agree with the preceeding comment.
  • edited July 2009
    I said in another thread, LeChuck's laugh is so noticeably forced that I'm pretty sure it was intentional.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.