Intro?

Sometimes, when it's quiet, I can still hear the monkeys

So, what about the intro? Monkey Island games always had inspired intro animations. Even the first one, that was relatively static, thanx also to great music is a legendary one. Here is the intro for the remake http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyjtxDPUHKs - i m glad they didn't screw that one like with some other design choices, because they didnt change it much, with some nice subtle background animations.

Even the Escape has a great one, with a surprise twist. So, whats with the Tales of MI? What will it be, what would you like it be? I guess main theme will play again, but what about the story, animation and style that you would like to see? Subtle approach or more epic one? Will it be different, now that it is episodic, with one big main intro playing for the first episode only? Will it feature traditionally rolling credits as well? Will intro use game engine for animation, or would you like to see different graphic style for intro and cut scenes?

Deep_in_the_Caribbean.jpg

Comments

• edited June 2009
    It would be cool to start under water... with fish swimming around... the moon visible beyond the surface... then a ship cuts the water overhead and then the camera breaks the surface following the ship where we can see a pirate in the crows nest yelling "land ho" Rotating around the pirate we follow where he is pointing to see an Island... and then the Title appears..

Then zoom into the island where Guybrush is.
  • edited June 2009
    I liked the opening credits for the first 3 games... But I didn't like the opening credits in Escape at all. They re-used the music from 3, and the visuals were all uninspired close-ups of their 3D stuff, which didn't look that great... I also liked the way recaps were handled in MI2 and CMI better than EMI's "say something and then show it" recap.

I hope Telltale comes up with a fun and stylish credit sequence, and keeps the recap short.

The intro for the SMI remake looks nice.
  • edited June 2009
    I kinda don't like how the intro in CMI imply that Monkey Island is close to Plunder Island. But other than that, it was fine.
  • edited June 2009
    tredlow wrote: »
    I kinda don't like how the intro in CMI imply that Monkey Island is close to Plunder Island. But other than that, it was fine.

http://firsthour.net/screenshots/curse-of-monkey-island/curse-of-monkey-island-lucasarts-logo.jpg

Naww. It's got a little cutaway around it. Like the U.S. maps that show Alaska next to California. :p
  • edited June 2009
    SMI practically didn't have anything besides credits as intro, since Guybrush came out of nowhere and story started to open during the first act. LCR's intro was a lot better. I loved especially how Guybrush was hanging on a rope and started explaining how he ended up there.

But basicly all I expect from intro is Monkey theme and some explanation where Guybrush is.
  • edited June 2009
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    http://firsthour.net/screenshots/curse-of-monkey-island/curse-of-monkey-island-lucasarts-logo.jpg

Naww. It's got a little cutaway around it. Like the U.S. maps that show Alaska next to California. :p

that even makes less sense with this map, because guybrush was floating on the bumper car to the right of monkey island (judging by the camera move at the opening), and he was floating south. Unless the map is warped, he should be in a place that's off the map completely.
  • edited June 2009
    Ah, finally someone posts a link to the FULL MI1:SE-Intro... I so wanted to hear the new Main Theme.

Music-wise I still find the opening to MI3 the best... it has been said before and I agree: Seeing the Monkey Island logo fill the screen, the "The Curse of"-title burst into flames and - for the first time - the newly recorded version of the Main Theme kick in... it gave me chills. And I think visually at least that opening shot with the logo looked very epic, so I think going epic for the intro in ToMI might make sense.

I wonder if Ep1 of ToMI will feature a somewhat longer intro, as the game isn't structured like a TV-show with several episodes (like Sam & Max was), but like a movie with 5 chapers or acts. Thus it would be strange to have each "chapter" start with an intro... I'd happily settle for an OPTIONAL recap, and the famous chapter-card (plus music cue) to start each chapter off.
  • edited June 2009
    I can't wait to see the new intro..
  • edited June 2009
    I wonder if Ep1 of ToMI will feature a somewhat longer intro, as the game isn't structured like a TV-show with several episodes (like Sam & Max was), but like a movie with 5 chapers or acts. Thus it would be strange to have each "chapter" start with an intro... I'd happily settle for an OPTIONAL recap, and the famous chapter-card (plus music cue) to start each chapter off.

I could see it going either way. It would be cool for subsequent episodes to just overlay the opening credits over the introductory cutscene, sort of like a lot of TV series do.
  • edited June 2009
    well, if it couldnt be the whole game, then maybe every chapter should have a seperate intro. maybe it can be main intro for the first episode only and then recap of things as intro for next chapter. Like, that trick that TV series use and that would be in a similar manner for each begining of an episode, or rather chapter. Something like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_unbVaCe8a4&feature=related

as for graphic in cut scenes, i wouldnt like them to use the in-game engine.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.