Lechuck should be scary this time around!

After the announcement of the new monkey island game i was so excited that i went and played through the first 3 monkey island games from start to finish.

I noticed alot of changes as the series progressed. One being Lechuck.

I want to know how you think telltale will intepret Lechuck. Is it me or did he become less of a threat in the third game, i never really felt scared of him.

While in the second game, i was jumping at fright everytime he appeared to attack me at the end of the game (and i'm 20 years old )

I really hope they make him more sinister and frightening this time around. Draw more influence from his earlier interpretations.

Comments

• edited June 2009
    I watched the end of LeChuck's Revenge on YouTube today. That's actually creepy and scary. It's an amazing boss fight, the only good one I've seen in an adventure game. I really hope LeChuck is more terrifying in this game.
  • edited June 2009
    After the announcement of the new monkey island game i was so excited that i went and played through the first 3 monkey island games from start to finish.

I noticed alot of changes as the series progressed. One being Lechuck.

I want to know how you think telltale will intepret Lechuck. Is it me or did he become less of a threat in the third game, i never really felt scared of him.

While in the second game, i was jumping at fright everytime he appeared to attack me at the end of the game (and i'm 20 years old )

I really hope they make him more sinister and frightening this time around. Draw more influence from his earlier interpretations.

Haha, I like it how you purposely went for the first three games.
    I'm hoping that he'll return to what he was in the second game (maybe the second as well). I just think that in the last game they took it a bit too cartoonish making him more like a fumbling fool, which is more what Guybrush is meant to be.
    I like having a villain that, whenever he enters the room, I run straight out the other door without thinking =]
  • edited June 2009
    Haha, I like it how you purposely went for the first three games.
    I'm hoping that he'll return to what he was in the second game (maybe the second as well). I just think that in the last game they took it a bit too cartoonish making him more like a fumbling fool, which is more what Guybrush is meant to be.
    I like having a villain that, whenever he enters the room, I run straight out the other door without thinking =]

He wasn't really a fumbling fool. He played the same sort of role as he did in Lechuck's Revenge in the end. But burning Guybrush's feet isn't as scary as trying to send him to a dimension of pain and suffering. The fact you come out of nowhere with no plan to defeat him except with pepper spray and TNT? That wasn't really all that amazing. CMI was a great game, but Big Whoop just didn't deliver.
  • edited June 2009
    hmm not quite fumbling fool, but I think more comedic I guess.

Also, just as a side point, I really liked the fullness in LeChuck's beard in CMI; it was like it had a certain life of its own(not really)... before it caught on fire.
  • edited June 2009
    PariahKing wrote: »
    I watched the end of LeChuck's Revenge on YouTube today. That's actually creepy and scary. It's an amazing boss fight, the only good one I've seen in an adventure game. I really hope LeChuck is more terrifying in this game.

Watched? Your loss, pal.

True, though. I expected him to come out any door when I played it. Though the ending itself was way scarier. I was like "Holy Monkey Bladders!! Nothing is real?! What the PFARGTL?!"
  • edited June 2009
    tredlow wrote: »
    Watched? Your loss, pal.

True, though. I expected him to come out any door when I played it. Though the ending itself was way scarier. I was like "Holy Monkey Bladders!! Nothing is real?! What the PFARGTL?!"
    Oh, I've played it. I remember very well the dialog tree of philosophy and that annoying cracker puzzle.

On every replay, I always forget the cracker puzzle. It never fails. Although I never had much trouble with the monkey wrench thing.

Thankfully it's been awhile so the lines all seemed fresh to me. I did actually turn it off midway - my intent is to avoid MI1 and MI2 to so I can really enjoy the special editions. (MI2 is more of a hope.)
  • edited June 2009
    Oh, I've played it. I remember very well the dialog tree of philosophy and that annoying cracker puzzle.

On every replay, I always forget the cracker puzzle. It never fails. Although I never had much trouble with the monkey wrench thing.

Thankfully it's been awhile so the lines all seemed fresh to me. I did actually turn it off midway - my intent is to avoid MI1 and MI2 to so I can really enjoy the special editions. (MI2 is more of a hope.)

Which one's the cracker puzzle, again?
  • edited June 2009
    Which one's the cracker puzzle, again?
    It's the thing with the parrot - you want to find the X. You've got to take the cracker from the barrel or something, take this wine glass and dip it in the ocean. Then purify it then walk around to find a tree with a bag hanging out of it. Then you hit the bottle on the tree and it breaks, and you use the broken bottle to open the bag. Then you take the cracker mix and put the water in it and feed the parrot. He then gives you instructions to the big red X.

I always forget something in there or can't find all the little bits or pieces.
  • edited June 2009
    It's the thing with the parrot - you want to find the X. You've got to take the cracker from the barrel or something, take this wine glass and dip it in the ocean. Then purify it then walk around to find a tree with a bag hanging out of it. Then you hit the bottle on the tree and it breaks, and you use the broken bottle to open the bag. Then you take the cracker mix and put the water in it and feed the parrot. He then gives you instructions to the big red X.

I always forget something in there or can't find all the little bits or pieces.

Meh, the philosophy of colors puzzle is more annoying to me.
  • edited June 2009
    Meh, the philosophy of colors puzzle is more annoying to me.
    Probably because it's a non-puzzle and a just a big waste of time with no relevance to completing the game?

Although the pay off in retrospect is funny.
  • edited June 2009
    Probably because it's a non-puzzle and a just a big waste of time with no relevance to completing the game?

Although the pay off in retrospect is funny.

Like most puzzles in Monkey Island, especially the drowning in MI1.
  • edited June 2009
    Like most puzzles in Monkey Island, especially the drowning in MI1.
    I can't count the number of times I've played the first three games - probably something like 40 times total - but I can't say I ever knew about drowning, falling off that cliff or that thing in CMI where see yourself drown. Well. Until I came here.

My least favorite puzzle though was robbing the safe. I always had to go fetch a pen and paper. Felt like it was breaking the experience.
  • edited June 2009
    I can't count the number of times I've played the first three games - probably something like 40 times total - but I can't say I ever knew about drowning, falling off that cliff or that thing in CMI where see yourself drown. Well. Until I came here.

My least favorite puzzle though was robbing the safe. I always had to go fetch a pen and paper. Felt like it was breaking the experience.

Fester Shinetop tie you up to the idol and dropped you into the waters of Melee Island! It's a classic MI puzzle!
  • edited June 2009
    I wouldn't call LeChuck or any other fictional character* scary, but sure I like him when he is bit darker character.

*With the exception that there was one Japanese horror film about a female psychopath which made me bit nervous, because the hot chick was so disturbed. But it might be just because of cultural differences. I'm mostly ignorant when it comes to Japanese culture.
  • edited June 2009
    Another ting about MI2 was the constant reminder that LeChuck was after you. One thing that really added to my experience of the game, was the cutscenes each time you found a new piece of the map. They showed that Largo was searching all over Caribbean for you, to hunt you down and bring you to your doom. I expected to come across him at some point during part 2. Never really felt safe.

LeChuck was never meant to be a doofus, like in EMI. He was supposed to be so terrifying, that only his name would make the bravest pirate cringe with fear, like in SMI. Well, I have to admit that he wasn't all that scary when Guybrush met him in the church. But I still like the concept. All pirates shoud be afraid of him. I think that's a bit more important to me than how scary he is to the player. I think this worked fine in CMI. Of coure I would have preferred that he was a bit more frightening to the player too, but it wasn't that big of a deal.
  • edited June 2009
    Another ting about MI2 was the constant reminder that LeChuck was after you. One thing that really added to my experience of the game, was the cutscenes each time you found a new piece of the map. They showed that Largo was searching all over Caribbean for you, to hunt you down and bring you to your doom. I expected to come across him at some point during part 2. Never really felt safe.

LeChuck was never meant to be a doofus, like in EMI. He was supposed to be so terrifying, that only his name would make the bravest pirate cringe with fear, like in SMI. Well, I have to admit that he wasn't all that scary when Guybrush met him in the church. But I still like the concept. All pirates shoud be afraid of him. I think that's a bit more important to me than how scary he is to the player. I think this worked fine in CMI. Of coure I would have preferred that he was a bit more frightening to the player too, but it wasn't that big of a deal.

and it seemed like in MI1 and MI2 that LeChuck had other plans going on which made him more mysterious and foreboding, then in 3 and 4 he was like a bumbling puppy dog who only cared about finding guybrush and being mean to him.

and in MI2 he says something about wanting to turn you into a screaming chair. O.o that's dark. and the whole ending sequence was incredibly stressful and would physically make you jump whenever he found you. and every time you went into that medical room, man you just knew you were boned, knowing he was coming in any second.

dark and messed up lechuck is way better than shapeshifting, fumbling idiot lechuck
  • edited June 2009
    To be quite honest, I never found LeChuck all that scary. Maybe that's because CMI was the first MI I played, maybe not.
    Either way, LeChuck, to me, has always been to clumsy to feel like an actual, lethal threat. I agree that he was more messed up in MI2, but I think he was pretty messed up in CMI still. Whatever sick stuff he was planning for you, Guybrush always manages to annoy LeChuck enough to make him botch-up whatever he was going to do. In the Acidpit-room and in the Boobytrapped gondola you annoy LeChuck by asking him to many questions, making him throw a temper-tantrum of sorts and leave; giving Guybrush time to escape. And when LeChuck is chasing you around, in MI1-2-3, he's too mad to concentrate on his voodoo-spells, because Guybrush managed to foil his grand-scheme. Making LeChuck a target for Guybrush's plan to kill him.
    It was EMI where he truely was protraited as a bumbling moron. Which was probably the reason why they made LeChuck a minion of Ozzy.

Either way, I agree with the posters here, that LeChuck should return to his roots. Making him a messed up, tempramentfull, though easily distracted villain.
  • edited June 2009
    the only reason i got scared in the end of MI2, is that when Le'chuck would should up, the mouse cursor disappeared, so i always got scared that my computer froze :D
    "nooooooooooooooooooooo- oh it's just le'chuck..."
  • edited June 2009
    It was all the more frightening for me that at the time I didn't even had a mouse and therefore I played the keyboard! :eek: :D
  • edited June 2009
    It looks like they were planning to make him scarier in the TMI concept art (see here), but it seems they ended up giving him a really meaty set of lips that detract from his scariness (although lips that big are pretty scary :D).

I do think LeChuck looks a bit silly with such massive lips--they kind of look like giant novelty lips, heh--but anyway, I'll wait to play the game. Maybe there's a reason LeChuck looks like he does. Maybe he'll look a bit different on release day.

We'll see. :) And either way, it doesn't *really* matter. I'd love it if someone created a new MI game that returned to the darker style used in the first two games, but the series is evolving, and that isn't necessarily a bad thing (i.e. I loved CMI; I think a darker style would have ruined the fun of it). Perhaps TMI might actually end up being darker than we realise! (If so, nice!)
  • edited June 2009
    Let's not forget the slowed-down, foreboding reworking of LeChuck's theme song in MI2. Combined with the fact that he was a lurching flesh-and-blood zombie in that game definitely spooked a young me!
  • edited June 2009
    You're right. Fantastic use of music in that game. The way it goes from slow and forebonding to wild panic, everything just screams at you... Like when the candle burns through the rope over the pit, or the underground tunnels! Haha, I just LOVE IT!
  • edited June 2009
    I think it's easy to underestimate the first two games until you play them again.

The graphics were crap, obviously, but in a way it really aided the game. I've studied mechanisms for storytelling ad nauseum and often the best games employ tactics by accident.

The way I see the first two Monkey Islands, they start off really black and dark (well, that's what computers were like in those days) and it really helps the feeling of the story coming from the darkness, like a dream. The colours become more vivid throughout the game, and Monkey Island itself is absolutely idyllic, apart from the ghost/demon pirates there, and the cannibals. This gives a subconscious sense of the imagination picking up as we ourselves get more immersed in the story. Then when we get to the finale with LeChuck, it's dark again. Melee Island is dark in MI1 and the big-boss behind-the-scenes corridors are dark and dank in MI2. It aids his scariness, he's constantly followed by shadow. The darkness really aids a character like LeChuck because he's the kind of nightmare character who can haunt dreams. The darkness around the game always follows LeChuck, if you notice, and as previously mentioned, the music is almost perfect.

Add to this the fairly basic graphics, which don't quite portray everything about the face. It's kind of like how our imaginations work. We create a character (like the realistic portrait) and then as we dream the detail fades a little.

All these devices lend themselves to a genuinely scary LeChuck. I was one of those flinching every time LeChuck was about to get me in the big-boss bit at the end of MI2.

Now move along to MI3. It's like a story-book we read when we were young, or maybe we read to our kids now. We can use the idea of our imagination creating this world, again, but only really in the context of something like a story-book. The whole thing is very light, and cartoony, and so loses the reality and nightmare-ish qualities which your imagination can create in the original two. Great artwork though, and it works on a different level with the surreal, absorbing mood being set in other ways (looking forward to Voojoo, if i'm allowed to say that on these forums :P)

And then to MI4, a very divisive game. The whole game is based on an ozzie property-developer turning the Caribbean into a tourist haven. Complete with tourists in Bermuda-shorts and sandals. The whole world looks inflatable and the 3d style pretty much destroys LeChuck's ghost/zombie forms, and his fire-beard form was never as scary as his zombie form anyway. Lucre is sunny and clean, even the Myst o'Tyme Marsh (whatever it's called) is quite bright considering its creepy potential. Guybrush looks like a prat with a constant grin on his face, which in itself is scary, but that (along with bright blue and white clothes) takes away from that mood. Jambalya is another sunny tourist resort, while Knuttin Atol is more moody, but it's small size and the connection with the outside (via the koala-ship and the neighbouring Jambalya) makes it less potentially scary, and just seems subjugated and tired. Monkey Island is again bright, but the cannibals are less scary, the church of LeChuck is feeble when it could have been menacing, and the whole thing is becoming tired and unimaginative by now. LeChuck just can't be scary with these graphics and environments. Freddie Kruger would look funny, not scary, in that game.

So MI1/2 got it right in that respect, with the entire games' ambiance working well for it, even though this was probably an accident. MI3 struggled because of its cartoon style, and MI4 was too bright and Guybrush just looked gormless and cheery throughout.

That's probably all crap, but hey, the government seems to value these skills :/
  • edited June 2009
    salmonmax wrote: »
    Let's not forget the slowed-down, foreboding reworking of LeChuck's theme song in MI2. Combined with the fact that he was a lurching flesh-and-blood zombie in that game definitely spooked a young me!

still spooks me :p
  • edited June 2009
    You know what: I really had nightmares of LeChuck, especially in the last scenes, when he always came up with the voodoo doll and strangled Guybrush... the pure horror for a 4 years old kid. Still I loved the game at the beginning because of it's blue night atmosphere and the music, of course.
  • edited June 2009
    Zombie LeChuck in MI2 scared the shit out of me when I was younger. :eek:
  • edited June 2009
    I loved the 2nd half of CMI, once you get to blood island. The whole place has that dark feel to it, with the cemetery and crypt, but with an overtone of loneliness and tragedy that surrounds the goodsoup family and their troubles. The ghost bride, the man killed by the folding bed, the lonely and depressing gravedigger, the death of guybrush threepwood, the lost welshman... the whole island just oozed this feeling of death and sadness, and it was beautifully done.

Blood Island rivals the Underground Tunnels to me in terms of atmosphere and mood. It was just amazing.
  • edited June 2009
    Zombie LeChuck is also my favourite version of the character. Very spooky, evil vilain. Like others on this board, I jumped every time he appeared in the underground tunnels - and I still do. I hope LeChuck in Tales of MI is more like his MI2 self : evil and scary, if not very bright. In my opinion, that's what LeChuck is supposed to be.

I must say that even if I like the art style of ToMI, I really dislike LeChuck's design, with those gigantic lips and teeth. I think he looks more ridiculous than frightening :/ But anyway, things have time to change until the release, and in the end, it's the writing which will make the difference.

@Gryffalio : very interesting post :)
  • edited June 2009
    Yeah Zombies are awesome too.
  • edited June 2009
    Remember how LeChuck in MI2 said he was going fry Guybrush in acid and then take what was left of his still living bones and have the bones made into a chair? And then he said he was going to sit in it every morning and listen to Guybrush scream. He was going to call it his "screaming chair."

That was class. More of that please! :)
  • edited June 2009
    In retrospect the huge lips on LeChuck in CMI looked awful, but I have to say his demon pirate form was impressive-- the whole scene in which the two pirates find his floating boots and end up getting skeletonized and enslaved to this fiery thing that can't be stopped... that's some seriously powerful villain.

Which is why it was so WRONG to reduce him to Ozzie Mandrill's second-rate henchman.
  • edited June 2009
    Gryffalio's post was pretty cool.
  • edited June 2009
    I thought he was a good villain in Curse. That last scene on the rollercoaster was pretty intense, and in terms of puzzles it was more enjoyable than Dinky Island. I thought MI2 was a freaky ending, but it was also freaking retarted. His brother? Evil voodoo spells? I thought it was all a bit....shit. That's why I preferred 3.
  • edited June 2009
    Whether or not you agree that LeChuck looked scary from CMI onwards at any point, I think you should all prepare to be disappointed if you're expecting him to act or appear in any way threatening:
    talesofmi_lechuck.jpg

That combined with unforgivable new voice makes me fear for the new Lechuck. Hopefully he won't look as terrible when he
    turns human
  • edited June 2009
    yummysoap wrote: »
    Whether or not you agree that LeChuck looked scary from CMI onwards at any point, I think you should all prepare to be disappointed if you're expecting him to act or appear in any way threatening:

That combined with unforgivable new voice makes me fear for the new Lechuck. Hopefully he won't look as terrible when he
    turns human

I kind of like the new LeChuck, he has certain craziness in his look. And to be honest Chuckie isn't most mentally stable character, so the new look fits to the character, because it brings personality.
  • edited June 2009
    I think he just looks like a clown. His mouth is, like, bigger than the monkey's head that he's holding, and I have a feeling Guybrush could pretty much take a bath in that hat.

The real problem I have, though, is with that raspy cat-screech "THREEEEEEPWOOD" he gives at the start of the trailer. It's the most pathetic attempt at Earl Boen's LeChuck that I've ever heard.

That said, I thought Guybrush's image and lines were pretty underwhelming in the trailer, but the gameplay footage I saw has somewhat changed my mind.
  • edited June 2009
    Yeah. I think he hit the note a little wrong. I'm not sure how they do the recordings (though Dominic Armato in the pre-orderer's forum has enlightened us a bit), but i'm a little surprised they didn't get him to do a second take.

I think people should give the new guy a chance, though. I thought Boen was great, but things don't last forever, and I think there are many more positives in this game than the negatives, which we can get stuck on (me included).
Sign in to comment in this discussion.