Why 'Minecraft' might be Telltale's biggest moneymaker yet?

I know some people are very sceptical of Telltale developing 'Minecraft' into a story, but personally I think if they pull it off, they will make loads. I think people can see why Telltale are investing in 'Minecraft', it is one of the best selling games of all-time and Telltale see it as too good an opportunity to miss and who can blame them. It's a chance for them to develop for a younger audience and expand their market.

Comments

• Cope49Cope49 Banned
    edited February 2015

Don't see that happening....

• I actually think it's a bigger gamble than many others. Minecraft is a very polarizing game. It's loved and loathed with equal passion. Most of the "Telltale demographic" (for want of a better term) hate it and will probably not buy this game. However, the "Minecraft demographic" are by no means guaranteed customers. They seem to like creating their own content and avoid linear/narrative based games.

• I'm excited for whatever they've got planned. Unless you're good at animation, then you can't really tell a minecraft story through film with the stiff and lifeless movements characters make.

ClemRanger posted: »

I actually think it's a bigger gamble than many others. Minecraft is a very polarizing game. It's loved and loathed with equal passion. Most

• edited January 2015

I just dont see how Minecraft and Story go together. I like minecraft and all but its not a story thing nor honestly do I think it should be, the good thing about minecraft is that there isnt a story.

• If it gets as successful as TWD, then Telltale has to go into merchandise that's how you make your money. Of course Mojang, Microsoft, or whoever still gets the bigger piece of pie.

• Most of the "Telltale demographic" (for want of a better term) hate it and will probably not buy this game.

There isn't really a concrete "Telltale Demographic." It pretty much changes with each game announcement, be it through adding fans or having fans of the older titles move on when Telltale stops working on their favorite series. The "Telltale Demographic" of today is totally different from before the days of Walking Dead, and it could change again at any time.

I actually think it's a bigger gamble than many others. Minecraft is a very polarizing game. It's loved and loathed with equal passion. Most

• I highly doubt it will be Telltale's most successful but I can still see it doing well.

• Of course you don't.

Cope49 posted: »

• Biggest?

No.

Large?

Yes.

• Oh it will be, millions of little kids are going to get their parents to buy it.

• What's wrong with just saying Minecraft? Why you gotta be all like 'Minecraft' this 'Minecraft' that?

• Having kids under 12, in my experience anything associated with Minecraft would be an instant money spinner. For my kids and almost every kid I know it is an obsession, bordering on addiction. They don't just play the game, they watch you tube videos of others playing. My son doesn't particularly enjoy reading but got a Minecraft novel for Xmas and read it in a day. They play with lifesize foam pixelated tools in the backyard.

• Stop being so pessimistic.

Cope49 posted: »

• So, the Demographic of TT could change from "Fans of serious and adult stories who like drama, tough choices and dark humor" to "12 Year olds who think insulting and trolling people is funny"?

Oh great , now you made me worry even more...

Most of the "Telltale demographic" (for want of a better term) hate it and will probably not buy this game. There isn't really a con

• So, the Demographic of TT could change from "Fans of serious and adult stories who like drama, tough choices and dark humor" to "12 Year olds who think insulting and trolling people is funny"?

Oh great , now you made me worry even more...

That's a bit of a sweeping generalization, no? Stereotypes are a bit of a two way street.

One could just as easily say "So, the Demographic of TT could change from 'Fans of unique universes and puzzle solving gameplay' to '12 Year olds who think Kenny confirmed for Season 2 gifs and Boat jokes are funny, and accounts that post shock images on the boards as a sick joke (thankfully alleviated long ago due to upgraded mod tools)?'

Of course, that stereotype I made is just a hasty generalization that only applies to a select amount of people, but think how it would feel if I believed that about everybody on the board just because a few select people acted out in such a way.

People had the exact same fears about the Walking Dead fanbase when Telltale decided to switch gears from comedy puzzle solving to choice making in games that prioritize story. Honestly, I'm not really a big fan of the protective elitism that some feel about different franchises. I like you guys and I say this with love, but it's not like the Walking Dead fan base here in particular has a shining standard of quality that the Minecraft fans should feel obligated to reach. That's not a knock against you guys in particular, but just something in general to consider - no one fanbase has a "golden standard" that other fanbases should reach for. Each fanbase has positive qualities and negative stereotypes - including both the Walking Dead and Minecraft fans.

So, the Demographic of TT could change from "Fans of serious and adult stories who like drama, tough choices and dark humor" to "12 Year olds who think insulting and trolling people is funny"? Oh great , now you made me worry even more...

• Just to be clear, the reason why I am against this TT Minecraft game is not (just) because it's Minecraft. It's more because I think working on ANOTHER IP, especially while they already have 4 awesome IP's, with many fans waiting for them to be continued/finished, is pretty stupid. At this point, I'd be against almost every new IP, whether it's Minecraft or something else. Though that it has to be Minecraft does not make it better...

And about the Fanbases: Sure, there are bad people in every IP. TT has it's fair share of trolls, and Minecraft has it's fair share of intelligent, creative people. But still, most of the times there is one kind of person that defines a fanbase, one which the fanbase is made of mostly. With TT, it's the, I quote myself, Fan of serious and adult stories who like drama, tough choices and dark humor", with Paradox Interactive it's the History Freak who wants historical accuracy, with DayZ it's the loner who wants to act out his evil Bandit side, with Borderlands it's the strategist who plans his skilling from the first second and even before he starts the game, and with Minecraft, it's the little boy who has nothing else except Minecraft on his mind. There are exceptions everywhere, but that doesn't change the fact that the Minecraft Community is infamous not without a reason.

To clarify again, I have nothing against Minecraft and it's Community, I am just worried what kind of people this game could attract. Just look at the Minecraft Section on this Forum. Already now there are one-post people with almost not-readable texts and completely wrong Idea of what this game most likely will be.

So, the Demographic of TT could change from "Fans of serious and adult stories who like drama, tough choices and dark humor" to "12 Year old

• It's going to sell. ALOT. Check out the Kindle Store. Check out the number of Minecraft comics there. Rule of thumb is that for every one review there have been hundred purchases. Count the number of purchases. Then think this, all the people who bought those comics for their kids will buy this. The people who did not buy the comics will also buy this because it's a game.
    This is probably the best decision TT made as far as money is concerned.

• Blind SniperBlind Sniper Moderator
    edited February 2015

Already now there are one-post people with almost not-readable texts and completely wrong Idea of what this game most likely will be.

The same deal happened when Walking Dead was announced, as people back then had no clue how a zombie themed point and click adventure will work. Yeah, Minecraft is certainly an odd choice for an adventure game, but if Telltale can make a point and click game about other concepts that are seemingly unfitting for an adventure game at face value such as zombies or a comedy sci-fi shoot and loot game, I'm sure they can make it work for Minecraft too.

But still, most of the times there is one kind of person that defines a fanbase, one which the fanbase is made of mostly. With TT, it's the, I quote myself, Fan of serious and adult stories who like drama, tough choices and dark humor"

As I've said in previous posts, Telltale doesn't really have a concrete demographic in the long run; it changes depending on what the current franchises are that Telltale is developing games for. Prior to Walking Dead, Telltale was known for making comedy puzzle games based off of niche franchises like Sam and Max, Strong Bad, Wallace and Gromit, Monkey Island, etc. I'm not saying the change is good or bad, I'm saying that to make a point that Telltale is always trying to broaden their story telling repertoire. They don't particularly aim for an audience of people who like "dark story telling" or "comedy puzzle games," they pick franchises they want to tell a story from and try to adapt to the audience at the time that the particular franchise brings.

Just to be clear, the reason why I am against this TT Minecraft game is not (just) because it's Minecraft. It's more because I think working

• Exactly. The whole point of minecraft and why people love it so much is because it allows freedom to do whatever you want.

• Because it's an overrated piece of shit.

What's wrong with just saying Minecraft? Why you gotta be all like 'Minecraft' this 'Minecraft' that?

• Nah, TTG TWD will always be the biggest money making game off telltale. It is just so awesome. Best story to ever exist.

• Who are you and why should I care about your opinion? I was asking the OP

Talimancer posted: »

Because it's an overrated piece of shit.

• No you weren't. You asked a general question on a general forum. You're not PMing the guy btw, anyone can reply to you

Who are you and why should I care about your opinion? I was asking the OP

• [removed]

No you weren't. You asked a general question on a general forum. You're not PMing the guy btw, anyone can reply to you

• Story doesn't always make you money. I mean have you seen the Transformers films? Who knows, maybe this this will have a better one, you never know.

Point is, a good story doesn't always make money.

Nah, TTG TWD will always be the biggest money making game off telltale. It is just so awesome. Best story to ever exist.

• edited February 2015

[removed]

No you weren't. You asked a general question on a general forum. You're not PMing the guy btw, anyone can reply to you

• "You are just a boring and generic person on the Internet." says the person having a little bitch fit over someone replying to him. Haha you're just facebook girl #23. Stop acting like you're the meme master of the internet. Go outside for a change, see if anyone cares what you say there.

• "Go outside for a change" yawn haven't heard that one before on the Internet i guess that proves my point. I guess I shouldn't have expected anything else from a guy who hates everything and spends all his time on Internet forums. Shit, I should stop making you upset. It might make you start a school shooting or something. Face it, you were bullied in school Mr sexually frustrated virgin

"You are just a boring and generic person on the Internet." says the person having a little bitch fit over someone replying to him. Haha you

• You mean realistic? Lets be frank here, i just don't see it outselling TWD or GOT.

Stop being so pessimistic.

• Why would they? Kids aren't as stupid as you think they are, why would they be interested in a story game. This game will be NOTHING like Original Minecraft. It has as much to do with Minecraft as Star Trek does with TNG.

Jayroen posted: »

Oh it will be, millions of little kids are going to get their parents to buy it.

• No, this is pessimism, not realism. I can see it outselling both of them, considering Minecraft has a much wider audience range.

CrazyGeorge posted: »

You mean realistic? Lets be frank here, i just don't see it outselling TWD or GOT.

• This is just coming from MY opinion. I think this will be a MAJOR seller because of the fact that Mojang got noticed because of Minecraft and now that TellTale has taken over the project this will be a major seller because most Minecrafters don't know about this game yet! In fact I just heard about it today in my Gameinformer! So when these minecrafters see there favorite youtubers playing this they will download the game and it will grow HUGE and popular but I just hope it won't be a $60.00 game like all the others and be cheap like the regular Minecraft.

• And yet there are always those people who will buy things because it has the name of your favourite thing on the tin. xD

CrazyGeorge posted: »

Why would they? Kids aren't as stupid as you think they are, why would they be interested in a story game. This game will be NOTHING like Original Minecraft. It has as much to do with Minecraft as Star Trek does with TNG.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.