Thoughts on Escape from Monkey Island

was wondering what everybody thinks of the fourth monkey island game. What is your overall opinion on the last game of monkey island?

is everybody hating it or is split?

Comments

• edited June 2009
    There were a few things I hated in this one, Monkey Combat is a really big one, and the Character Models are ugly... im not talking about the dated graphics either... those models are just plain ugly.. The Controls re kind of strange.. it was a new thing for MI... sometimes you went to walk off screen the next screen would load and you accidentally walk right back to the screen you were on.

But even with all that.. I really liked the game.. it was funny, it had all the characters I would want it to... some of the backgrounds where pretty cool and when it was done I found myself wishing it wasn't. But it is easily my least favorite of the three.

My final thoughts on this one is that its not really a game for a broad audience... I think only die hard MI fans will play it more than once.
  • edited June 2009
    I just played MI4 again recently, and the first thing that struck me was how zombie-like Guybrush looked. I hated the way conversations didn't fit together properly (the Meathook conversations drove me insane) and Monkey Combat drove me insane.

Other than that, it's better than I remember. I wasn't keen on the property developer at first, but now that I come back to it, it's really pretty creative.

One thing I detested, was how they threw all continuity map-wise out of the window.
  • Macfly77Macfly77 Moderator
    edited June 2009
    Irishmile wrote: »
    But it is easily my least favorite of the three.

Which three? ;)

I started playing it a few days ago for the first time (I've completed the other three several times) and it's a pretty fun game once you get used to the controls.
    Some of the puzzles are a bit difficult but overall, I think that the Monkey Island "spirit" is present.
    Then again, I have yet to see what Monkey Combat actually is (I've barely started the second act)...
  • edited June 2009
    was wondering what everybody thinks of the fourth monkey island game. What is your overall opinion on the last game of monkey island?

is everybody hating it or is split?
    I hate the controls. I can live with the rest but the controls stop me from completing it again. I have the same problem with Grim Fandango. Both are actually excellent but the controls....
  • edited June 2009
    I just started replaying this one after beating the previous three again in preparation for TMI, and I'm a bit irked because the game seems to be stuck during the conversation with the chess players on Lucre Island.
  • Macfly77Macfly77 Moderator
    edited June 2009
    I just started replaying this one after beating the previous three again in preparation for TMI, and I'm a bit irked because the game seems to be stuck during the conversation with the chess players on Lucre Island.

I've had a few problems of the game getting stuck (most recently in the Lua Bar when I try to sit on a stool), so I save the game quite often.
  • edited June 2009
    I love that game. it's a great game with wonderful looks, and a nice sense of humour.
  • edited June 2009
    It's not bad at all, it's just not "monkey good".
  • edited June 2009
    I got used to the controls, there was some frustation due to accidentaly entering some rooms due to running all the time, but it was enjoyable.

Of the 4 games, it is at the bottom, but I don't consider it HORRIBLE, etc. Just so-so with some enjoyable bits and puzzles.
  • edited June 2009

It happens all the times to me. You just have to wait for five-ten minutes (or maybe more, I don't remember).

By the way, as I've written elsewhere in all this monkey-frenzy, I believe that EfMI still lacks its due recognition as a classic. It's so hated among fans simply because it tried to be a monument to the legacy of the series and, at the same time, its most disrespectful mockery: by doing this it accomplished an hysterical energy which may hardly be found elsewhere. EfMI is the homage paid by two iconoclasts: it follows the structure of the first episode of the series, and it twists it by adding australian capitalists and giant kung fu robots. Played in this way (unacceptable for a devoted fan) it becomes a really fine piece of entertainment, perhaps sharper than its immediate, orthodox predecessor: it has very clever puzzles, good dialogues and an engaging story.
  • edited June 2009
    This was the game that got me into Monkey Island, i liked it for the most part, even though it was kind of hard for me to get into it at first.. the only problem i had with it was getting stuck at one point on Luchre Island. Although, i got to say, graphically, the new game blows the old one out of the water, i love how the characters actually have expressions. :D
  • edited June 2009
    Macfly77 wrote: »
    Which three? ;)

Whoops I meant four LOL
  • edited June 2009
    Ugly graphics, shitty Monkey Combat, terrible control-scheme, etc. But other than that, the story is quite funny, good dialogues, funny cutscenes...
    ...Not a bad game, but it seems unrefined.
  • edited June 2009
    Liked it. Really. Had a good time with this from start to finish. Except for a bug that made the game crash time and time again at a certain point. I think the biggest issue people have with this game, even if it'a subconscious one, is the way Monkey4 turned Monkey Island into something it hasn't been before. You brother's pretending to dislike the game because of the controls? Liar. Your boss says the graphics are feckin' ugly? He's just lacking the words to express his thoughts.

Monkey4 took our corporate Western World and took it to the Caribbean. Whereas in previous games, at least the first two, there were anachronisms to make you laugh, Monkey4 is Ronald McDonald meets Captain Blood. And that was a little hard to swallow for some. Personally I didn't care, as I had always seen this serie as a rather light-hearted attemt at pirat-ey comedy rather than anything else - albeit with compelling characters to work with.

There's also a point where an idea has just run out of steam. There's only this much jokes you can get out of anything before it's getting old and repeating itself ad nauseum. Just sayin' the kind of negativity directed toward this game is pretty much absurd. At its core it is as much of a classic Lucas Arts adventure game as they had ever come. But then it had to live up to its classic prequels.
  • edited June 2009
    the thing about this game is it seems like a bunch of mixed up ideas all put into one game. I've read somewhere that the idea that the monkey head is a giant robot was pitched for the first game, and was rejected. So what, something that wasn't good enough 9 years earlier suddenly is? Then again, you're bound to have at least one bad game in an adventure series, to get all the crappy ideas out, from that originality blossoms.
  • edited June 2009
    I don't get why so many people had a problem with Monkey Combat; it was such a small part of the game. It 's like saying you have a problem with 'rock, paper, scissors', because it's the same came but with 5 moves rather than 3.

I also didn't realise that so many people had a problem with the controls for this one, or Grim Fandango, for that matter. (I think I played GF after MI4, but the controls took me a little longer to get the hang of. A few minutes longer, it's not the kind of thing that got me screaming at the monitor for days).

As for the graphics... Well, I suppose a lot of games had better graphics back in 2000 but I don't really remember thinking they were that bat at the time. I do remember that most games trying to look 'cartoony' often failed, (at least Cell Shading has moved in leaps and bounds since then).
    Mataku wrote: »
    the thing about this game is it seems like a bunch of mixed up ideas all put into one game. I've read somewhere that the idea that the monkey head is a giant robot was pitched for the first game, and was rejected. So what, something that wasn't good enough 9 years earlier suddenly is? Then again, you're bound to have at least one bad game in an adventure series, to get all the crappy ideas out, from that originality blossoms.
    Sometimes a bad idea becomes a good one after circumstances change. In any of the previous game Monkey Kombat would have been difficult to implement but if it had been then the idea of having a call back to that puzzle would have been funny (and it was :D) and using a giant monkey robot would have been the funniest (and possibly the coolest) way to make that call back.
  • edited June 2009
    Marduk wrote: »
    I don't get why so many people had a problem with Monkey Combat; it was such a small part of the game. It 's like saying you have a problem with 'rock, paper, scissors', because it's the same came but with 5 moves rather than 3.

I also didn't realise that so many people had a problem with the controls for this one, or Grim Fandango, for that matter. (I think I played GF after MI4, but the controls took me a little longer to get the hang of. A few minutes longer, it's not the kind of thing that got me screaming at the monitor for days).

As for the graphics... Well, I suppose a lot of games had better graphics back in 2000 but I don't really remember thinking they were that bat at the time. I do remember that most games trying to look 'cartoony' often failed, (at least Cell Shading has moved in leaps and bounds since then).

Monkey Combat ate up so much time, though. So if you didn't want to play rock paper scissors it was going to be a major issue.

As for controls, personally I loved both MI3 and MI4 controls. I liked the point & click idea, but I also loved being able to just use the keyboard for everything in MI4, which becomes even more of a bonus nine years in the future when many of us have touchpads and not mice.

Graphics-wise, I think it was alright for the era, but I just detest 3d games of this kind because it tends to look surreal in a bad way. I think the major problem people had (though i'm not sure) is the realistic art which was excellent for the time in MI2, the absolutely beautiful art in MI3 and then the following 3d gormless Guybrush.
  • edited June 2009
    I'm not a fan of EMI. I'd call it a bad game, with just a few good moments.

One of the biggest problems I had with it was the sound quality. I seemed to be the only one to notice or care when the game was released, but the sound and music seemed flat and mono-channel and just not very good. For example listen to the CMI intro music here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKWT5wW4gdY
    and the EMI intro music here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtjNixXbe3E

The CMI one sounds way better - EMI seems to be mono-channel and just doesn't sound as crisp. This extends to all sound in the game. This may be trivial to some people, but I guess sound and music quality is important to me because it really really bothered me.

Besides that, it just didn't have the right feel to me. The settings were too bright and too clean. They made Guybrush famous with even a restaurant named after him which is so wrong and goes against his traditional bumbling, unknown, forgettable, every-man pirate wannabe character -- I really hope TT ignored that whole fame development in TMI. They recast Elaine with a (IMO) much less-appealing actress (cheers to TT for bringing sexy back). They ruined the ScummBar. Monkey Kombat was lame. Insult-everything was lame, it should only be sword fighting (they are PIRATES). Wasting Murray by making him the greeter for "Planet Threepwood" was lame. The "steer-with-arrow-keys-as-if-guybrush-was-a-racecar" controls were lame.

Some of the characters were good, and I actually liked the "Herman Toothrot is grandpa Marley" twist, even if it does stretch credulity a bit. But I didn't like much else.
  • edited June 2009
    It's a good game - in fact, it's a pretty good game. It is the least of the four games, but then again that's saying something as the first three were amazing. I like Escape better than any other non-Monkey LucasArts adventure game.

I think the problem I had with it is "Is this really the last Monkey Island game?" The ending - which I didn't even dislike like that much, actually was fine to me and I even liked the Monkey Head thing and Toothrot. I'm not a huge fan of the graphics as they look more out of place than MI and MI2, but that's fixable.

Really, when I look at it I see a game that's not quite as epic or beautiful but a pretty good and approaching great game. I think out of all the LucasArts games more than even MI:SE, Escape would benefit from a SE. You could alter up Monkey Combat a bit to either shorten it or replace it with something else - fix the graphics and a new soundtrack. The ending could be reworked a bit but not a ton - keep canon the same, just make it a more rewarding experience. Add ins would be great. I think you have a game just screaming for special edition that will still be a good game if it doesn't get it.

So I guess I jumped on the haterade until I actually saw one of it's developers post - which made feel bad for trashing their work - so I gave it another chance. It's a good game, and one of my favorites. But. It shouldn't be the last Monkey Island game and it was for 9 years. But that problem has been fixed.
  • edited June 2009
    Gryffalio wrote: »
    Monkey Combat ate up so much time, though. So if you didn't want to play rock paper scissors it was going to be a major issue
    When you’re faced with a set of random puzzles you’re bound to get one you don’t like, eventually. Were you really stuck on this one for a long time? It’s ok if you were. There was a certain puzzle I was stuck on which particularly frustrated me because I felt most people would find it quite easy compared to me.
  • edited June 2009
    Arodin wrote: »
    One of the biggest problems I had with it was the sound quality.

I second that at least as far as the German version is concerned. No idea why they did that, but the entire voice-overs were of notiecably worse sound quality than their original peers. I wouldn't go as far as comparing it to Capcom's haphazard 1997 Resident Evil PC conversion - literally all the sounds were saved as really low quality wav files on the disc in that one, there was noise in all of those, horrible. But yeah, compared to CMI and Grim before this hit me hard right when I started the game.
  • edited June 2009
    PariahKing wrote: »
    I think out of all the LucasArts games more than even MI:SE, Escape would benefit from a SE. You could alter up Monkey Combat a bit to either shorten it or replace it with something else

I hope everybody remembers that in 'Curse' there were 2 settings; 'Regular' and 'Mega Monkey'. These were supposed to be difficulty settings, however I only played Mega Monkey so I never found out if the 2 versions were different.

It could be worked so that, if there was an "Escape from Monkey Island: Special Edition" there could be 2 settings; one where certain puzzles, such as the swamp, monkey combat, the one where you had to throw boulders at carefully timed intervals (my person favourites) and any others like those are left out and one where they're left in. And possibly a third one, with more extreme versions of these puzzles, or more encounters with very similar puzzles (ie, more reasons to fling boulders, insult monkeys and navigate crazy swamps).
  • edited June 2009
    One of the most painful experience in my adventure gamer life (except Frankenstein and Riven :P). Controls were totally wrong, puzzles were very difficult, mathematic, I finished most of those by luck (and I'm not talking about crazy combinations, I love crazy combinations and weird situations, but i hate maths), and gave up for monkey kombat (compelled to print a walkthrough :(), music was too "polished" (the only great tune I can remember is the Stan's Agency with its great sax, and the Lawyers Room, very far from the jazzy & reggae warm feel of CoMI), and also the overall lack of "unity" of the sets (pre-rendered beautiful screens, with 2 or 3 pixelated 3D interactive objects patched front).
    I really do love some of the screens though, especially the forests one (trees are amazing ^^), and some humor in places too (Starbuck's mockup for example). But the overall game experience was so cold... compared to Grim Fandango (with also some big gameplay problems), or simply CoMI, it was totally lifeless. Like most of adventure gamers, I love 2D games, and 2D style (Bill Tiller :D), but Grim Fandango and Sam&Max Series showed you can do "warm" games in 3D too... and EfMI wasn't one of them.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    Yohmi wrote: »
    Stan's Agency with its great sax

Wow I forgot about that! I loved that there was a free-wheeling instrumental solo during Stan's theme in EMI. That was great stuff.
  • vizviz
    edited June 2009
    I liked EMI very much. I actually won my copy in the Lucasarts pre-release demo competition!

Monkey kombat was a clever addition and was no more of a chore than insult sword fighting. By the time you have discovered every move the challenge is just beginning to outstay its welcome; having said that I enjoyed the switch from all the puzzle hunting.

Speaking of insult sword fighting, I also liked the way that in CMI it was interwoven with the 'booty' rewards and the need to upgrade ones cannons, it gave a purpose to the fights instead of just the monotonous learning of moves for a key storyline extension.

Back on topic, I never noticed any difference in sound quality and certainly nothing I could point a finger in horror at. Now I'll have to install it again and have a listen... :)
  • edited June 2009
    I don't think the game added anything to the overall story that the previous three seemed to do and it gave the game a kind of 'tacked on' feeling. I still love EMI and have played it many times but it is definitely the one I replay the least.
    Monkey Kombat seemed like a game lengthening device. Especially when you have to keep training until Jo Jo says that you've done enough.
  • edited June 2009
    gordy wrote: »
    Monkey Kombat seemed like a game lengthening device. Especially when you have to keep training until Jo Jo says that you've done enough.

I'm pretty sure they were trying to mimic Insult Swordfighting from the first game in that regard. Carla the Swordmaster will refuse to fight you unless you've defeated enough lesser pirates first. Of course, I think as an attempt to follow-up Insult Swordfighting, Monkey Kombat is a complete failure (under the hood they might be conceptually the same thing but the whole point of Insult Swordfighting is that it was actually fun instead of a series of Oops and Chees), but you can at least see what they were going for.
  • edited June 2009
    Heh. Yeah. Carla refusing to fight you seems much more justified as it is in place to force you to learn more insults and not waste time fighting her. Even if you know all the combinations of oops, eeks and chees you still have to keep fighting. The insult sword fighting curve may have been best developed in Curse with earning treasure and cannons and everything. Gives you more of a sense of progress.
  • edited June 2009
    Marduk wrote: »
    When you’re faced with a set of random puzzles you’re bound to get one you don’t like, eventually. Were you really stuck on this one for a long time? It’s ok if you were. There was a certain puzzle I was stuck on which particularly frustrated me because I felt most people would find it quite easy compared to me.

I quite like impossibly hard puzzles, actually, because you tend to have something to sharpen your mind with. I found the Monkey Combat tedious and over-long, but I wasn't particularly stuck on it: I just had to write all the combinations down. For me, though, that's not the sign of a great puzzle.

You've got a good point with people's experiences turning them off specific features, though. I remember in Monkey Island 2, being particularly vexed by the different skeleton-doors at LeChucks fortress; but then this actually added to the foreboding and helped empathise with what was happening to Guybrush.

PariahKing's idea of an MI4:SE is one i'd probably subscribe to. I played MI4 again just recently and some of what I hadn't initially liked actually became quite fun to me. I still had a problem with the layout of Melee Island, etc. but then you can't get everything right. Simple things like the gormless, Hillary-Clinton-twin-brother-looking Guybrush were what made it really hard to set a mood. This is something an SE would fix and something i'm immensely grateful to the developers at Telltale for having fixed for ToMI :)

I'm not sure MI4 could ever be as good as the first two, even with an SE, but MI3 is definitely a level I think it could reach with an overhaul of the music and graphics, but also with some relatively large gameplay-tweaks. The game is a great game, but the entire overtone is a happy touristy world invading Guybrush's surreal and weird world. Well, that's good as a game, but meant that the seriousness and atmosphere which had been captured in the others was lacking slightly. People point to Blood Island a lot for CMI as being the best with the best atmosphere in that game, and I think one island captured just right is all it really takes.
  • edited June 2009
    I don't think that EfMI is a bad game, it just loses in the comparison to the previous games. I think that LCR is the best in the series and SMI comes as a close second. CMI was good, although I didn't like the Carnival of Damned. Before that the locations were great. In EfMI there were couple of annoying locations.

I didn't like the end fight and Monkey village, because Monkey Kombat took IMO too much time and didn't offer anything else besides writing the correct moves on paper. In insult swordfighting of the earlier games you also had to collect the moves, but there was humour in that. "Chee ack eek!" didn't make me laugh in similar manner like "You're as repulsive as a monkey in a negligee!" - "I look THAT much like your fiancée?"

Mêlée Island, Lucre Island, Knuttin Atoll and most of Monkey Island were all right, but I didn't like Jambalaya Island. Starbucks and Planet Hollywood parodies just didn't amuse me. Also I didn't like that LeChuck was servant of Ozzie Mandrill. IMO LeChuck is better as main villain and not that good henchman.

Controls of EfMI weren't as horrible as controls of Grim Fandango, but compared to mouse control of previous games playing from keyboard was a lot more annoying. They should have kept traditional mouse controls. It would have made EfMI more playable. I have seen 3D games with good mouse control, so it wouldn't be impossible to made good controls to 3D adventure game. Mouse + keyboard controls of Sierra's last adventure game "Gabriel Knight 3" were 10 times better than controls of last LucasArts adventures. Which is bit ironic, because generally LucasArts games had better controls than Sierra games.
  • edited June 2009
    Thing with Monkey Island 4 is that it was the first Monkey Island game I actually played and as a stand alone game I never felt I had to play the other three to keep up, in the contrast to that, the in-jokes are much easier to get when you have played the other three. I quite enjoyed it at the time, in no way is it the best one although I rate both voice MI games over the non voice because I thought Dominic Armatto brings out the most funnies out of Guybrush because you can hear him but this isnt taking away how awesome the first two are. As a game 4 was the worse, was done with some humour but at times seemed to lack what I loved about 3. I didn’t dislike the graphics really, I have mixed opinions of the game. Monkey Kombat wasn’t horrible but was annoying at times but it was a challenge, overall I think it’s a decent game just not one which seemed to have too much thought in to it.
  • edited June 2009
    Mine was buggy, and it never occured to me that the banana picker that I'd tried to pull thy cymbals down with was the RIGHT SOLUTION. I spent ages trying to get the cymbals. You can imagine my frustration when I learned a bug was stopping me solving the puzzle. I finally saw I was doing the right thing in a magazine walkthrough months later. Restarted the game and it worked the next time.

That's my lasting memory of the game.

Also, weren't about 1/2 the puzzles in the game solved with the assistance picker? Lazy.
  • edited June 2009
    too hollow w 3d design on chars, otherwise ok. didn't have the same issue w the monkey combat as most others.
  • edited June 2009
    It's not as good as the first 2 (or even the first 3) but it is not a bad game in it's own right. The way I see it, even with this game not being the best, the other 3 still exist and it takes nothing away from them.
  • edited June 2009
    Having just started playing again after at least 5 years, I forgotten quite how horrible the controls are!

If they remade the game with new character models, in higher def and with point'n'click it would be an instant classic.
  • edited June 2009
    Overall it still is a good game, but there are three things I absolutely disliked:

1. Controls. Why should I control an adventure character like a roleplay character? The old way was perfect. I still played Monkey Island 4 through, but in Grim Fandango that was the reason for me to quit. It is the only LA advanture I have not finished, and after MI4 I never bought another one.

2. Monkey Combat. It's not funny and it's not a puzzle. It just takes time.

3. Hermann Toothrot is H.T.Marley? They killed two characters with that. I hope Telltales will not include H.T. in the future episodes.

Still the jokes were funny and I also liked the atmosphere. Of course it was way brighter than the earlier games, but it played in a holiday paradise, so it makes sense.
  • edited June 2009
    2. Monkey Combat. It's not funny and it's not a puzzle. It just takes time.

I would have preferred it if the gate to the sword master's house was locked by a juicy slider puzzle too. I mean.... following the shop keeper for what felt like two hours through woods that looked all the same wherever you went? And what about this crap about getting past the sword master
    herself
    by doing the busywork of collecting a couple dozen of insults and letting you try to guess the right one? Couldn't they just let Guybrush find some kind of super magic sabre made of colored pebbles over at the the Melee Lighthouse™ which was locked by a colored pebble puzzle or a newspaper-keyhole-puzzle or both?

Just lazy!
  • edited June 2009
    I actually liked Escape and i'd plat it again. Its by far the weakest but it had some great moments. Some of the ideas were fantastic and I can still remember clearly some of the stand-out visuals and set pieces.

I like the Grim Fandango look but the controls were awkward, particularly on the raft in the swamp puzzle. I liked some of the new islands. The parts on Monkey Island itself were okay but could have been much better. Wasn't a massive fan of the Herman Toothrot twist but I guess it worked and it was quite surprising. I think Tales will have more of an old school feel to it and be closer to the first three games rather than Escape.
  • edited June 2009
    yes, concerning the controls, there are two annoying things - while you are on the raft, and want to check the inventory or speak to other Guybrush at the same you have to wait for him to put down the paddle

the other is while walking on map, where is Guybrush is making illogical turns, especially if you are running at the same
  • edited June 2009
    Macfly77 wrote: »
    Which three? ;)

I started playing it a few days ago for the first time (I've completed the other three several times) and it's a pretty fun game once you get used to the controls.
    Some of the puzzles are a bit difficult but overall, I think that the Monkey Island "spirit" is present.
    Then again, I have yet to see what Monkey Combat actually is (I've barely started the second act)...

HaHa good luck with that:p I played it for a second time a few months ago and the controls and monkey combat were far more annoyning than I remembered, I think I was far to excited about having a new monkey Isalnd game the first time round to even notice. Yeah you do get over the controls but that monkey combat ruins the end of the game, I'd still play it again though!!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.