Who are the controlls in TOMI?

edited June 2009 in Tales of Monkey Island
Hi there!
I tried to search for this question, but I didn`t find an answer.

I just wonder how the controls are in this game?
Is it like MI4 where you use a gamepad or keyboard, or is it like the REAL MI games where you use a mouse to point and click?

If its like MI4 I will most likely act like a pirate and steal this game. I will not support that!!
However, if its a good, classic point and click than I will pre-order this tomorrow, and I will love and support Telltales for the rest of my life!!

Comments

• edited June 2009
    Halfway in between sadly. They're the same controls as in the Wallace and Gromit game, not quite so awful as EMI but still a big barrier to play.
  • edited June 2009
    Thanks for the answer.

Telltales, WHAT WHERE YOU THINKING???!!!!
    Please, please moderators. Can you ask that question to the telltales crew.

I was counting days until payday so I could pre-order this game/series, but now, well......you dont get my money:(
  • edited June 2009
    the keyboard worked great on MI4. stop complaining. no one gives a shit.
  • edited June 2009
    There are a lot of people, who give "a shit" for this, I won't buy this control crap either. It seems, as if the people of telltale haven't learned anything from W&G. And MI4 was crap because of the controls - it didn't sell because of this and a lot of fans, who bought it, even didn't play nearly halfway through the game, too, because of the control. This is a little history reapiting.
  • edited June 2009
    To threepcross:

That is just bullshit. MI4 was a discrase, and a lot of people agree with me.

I love MI 1&2 more than any other game (I payed over 100$ for them on ebay), and I think its a good thing for Telltales to let them know why they don't get my and my mates money.

If it's bothering you it's your problem
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    If its like MI4 I will most likely act like a pirate and steal this game. I will not support that!!

And we will not support discussions of mighty software piracy on our forums, so please refrain from making this type of statement around here. Thanks.

The controls for Tales of Monkey Island are still being developed. (We actually never confirmed that they'll be exactly like Wallace & Gromit's controls, although a lot of people seem to have jumped to this conclusion...) On Wii, the controls will probably be handled through a combination of the remote and the nunchuk. On PC they may be a keyboard / mouse combo or may be entirely mouse driven. It won't be exactly the same as the point and click we did for Sam & Max, but will also not be exactly like our first direct control scheme in Wallace & Gromit... more like an evolution of what we started in W&G. We definitely want it to feel comfortable for people playing on PC, and to work well with the Monkey Island gameplay, so a lot of consideration is going into the decision!

When we have more information about how it's going to work, we'll let you guys know, but for now all I can really say is that we're still working on it.
  • edited June 2009
    Sorry for that statement, it was childish.
    And thanks for a good answer to my question!!

It's just that this game series means so much to me, and I don`t want you to ruin it by making another MI4. Please, Please give us the classic point and click!!!
    MI3 style would be great, but an MI1 style with "pick up", "open", "use" and so on would rock my world:)
  • edited June 2009
    Sphaa wrote: »
    MI1 style with "pick up", "take", "use" and so on would rock my world:)
    Wouldn't "pick up" and "take" verbs accomplish the same thing? ;)
  • edited June 2009
    AARG....I'm writing so much wrong today....time to log off.
    edited June 2009
    It's just that this game series means so much to me, and I don`t want you to ruin it

Believe me, we understand. :D The team working on this game -- including Dave Grossman, one of the original Monkey Island writers and designers -- has pretty strong attachments to the Monkey Island series, and no one wants to ruin it. :)
  • edited June 2009
    There is already a 22 page long control topic. I'm sure that everything that needed to be said was said in there. Everyone needs to give Telltale a break. I'm sure that they will make the right decision with regard to the controls, and for that matter, every other aspect of the game. Most companies don't even take the time to listen to their fans directly. Telltale is a wonderful exception.

http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8575
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    Sphaa wrote: »
    Please, please moderators. Can you ask that question to the telltales crew.

Also, for future reference, the moderators ARE the telltale crew. Anyone with a little TTG icon next to their name is an actual employee of the company.
  • edited June 2009
    I didn't see that topic mhaley. You can close this thread Emily.

But as a final statement, directed at you, and the team Emily. When I first heard about this game I was so glad that it was Telltales that was making it. You did a great job with Sam&Max, and I really believe that you share my passion on (old) adverture games.
    edited June 2009
    When I first heard about this game I was so glad that it was Telltales that was making it. You did a great job with Sam&Max, and I really believe that you share my passion on (old) adverture games.

Thanks. :D
  • edited June 2009
    it doesn't exactly hurt the expectations that you've got Grossman working with you lol
  • edited June 2009
    Emily wrote: »
    The controls for Tales of Monkey Island are still being developed. (We actually never confirmed that they'll be exactly like Wallace & Gromit's controls, although a lot of people seem to have jumped to this conclusion...) On Wii, the controls will probably be handled through a combination of the remote and the nunchuk. On PC they may be a keyboard / mouse combo or may be entirely mouse driven. It won't be exactly the same as the point and click we did for Sam & Max, but will also not be exactly like our first direct control scheme in Wallace & Gromit... more like an evolution of what we started in W&G. We definitely want it to feel comfortable for people playing on PC, and to work well with the Monkey Island gameplay, so a lot of consideration is going into the decision!

When we have more information about how it's going to work, we'll let you guys know, but for now all I can really say is that we're still working on it.

Great response. I find it amazing that these things can still be tweaked so close to release!

Once a decision has been made for Episode 1, would it have to stay that way for the rest of the season? Or would you be willing to change something as fundimenatal mid-season?

What about for a potential Season 2? (if the feedback wasn't great) would you consider changing it then?

Thanks.
  • edited June 2009
    And we will not support discussions of mighty software piracy on our forums, so please refrain from making this type of statement around here. Thanks.

Hi Emily. What's the thinking behind considering use of the nunchuk on the Wii? Broken Sword works very well and the Wii is the perfect platform for straight forward point and click.
  • edited June 2009

Hey, you should have copy-pasted your answer to this one: http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8575&page=22 ! No worries, I shall point this out at the other thread.

Since you are still developing controls, I will be do my share and pre-order. Thanks!
  • edited June 2009
    Uhm sorry but how are the controls of Wallace and Grommit? Didn´t play WAG and SB.
  • edited June 2009
    The controls in MI4 were ruined by being like the controls in Alone in the Dark, which, while it was an amazing adventure game, had the worst control scheme I've ever seen in a 3D game. I hate having to turn ALL the way around to go in another direction. It's retarded and isn't relaxing at all. However, W&G controls nothing like this. It basically controls the same as it would if you were clicking to go somewhere, but instead of having to click constantly to walk around. No two minutes of turning around to go left instead of right either.

Arrow keys to walk.
    Mouse point and click to interact.
    Scroll wheel to cycle inventory items.
  • edited June 2009
    The controls in MI4 were ruined by being like the controls in Alone in the Dark, which, while it was an amazing adventure game, had the worst control scheme I've ever seen in a 3D game. I hate having to turn ALL the way around to go in another direction. It's retarded and isn't relaxing at all. However, W&G controls nothing like this. It basically controls the same as it would if you were clicking to go somewhere, but instead of having to click constantly to walk around. No two minutes of turning around to go left instead of right either.

Arrow keys to walk.
    Mouse point and click to interact.
    Scroll wheel to cycle inventory items.

Yeah. I think it seems like the perfect control scheme for these games. It fixes the major problems seen in Grim and EMI. I'd say it's even better than the point 'n' click interface, a lot faster.
  • edited June 2009
    I hate having to turn ALL the way around to go in another direction.

I'm replaying Escape at the moment and I have to fully agree with you there, especially on the map screens. Does my nut in at times.
  • edited June 2009
    there is really no possible way a keyboard scheme could be easier and more comfortable than point and click. the mouse was invented to replace tedious keyboard controls. why do developers insist on trying to force a keyboard scheme? it works for FPS, that's it. it makes no sense to control the direct leg movements of an adventure game character. it's failed to revive the genre for a decade now. i just don't get it.

of course, using the Esc key to skip dialogue or go to the main menu and such is fine. the left and right click and scroll wheel provides plenty of options for maximum convenience. it's just obvious. scroll between verbs, and click on a target. right click for the inventory. what could possibly be easier than that?
  • edited June 2009
    Don't like the keyboard gameplay neither.
    Point & Clic should be 100% mouse gameplay... or exeptionnaly using keyboard for some stuff (like the DeSoto in S&M S02).
  • edited June 2009
    Thank you for the reply, Emily.
    PLEASE, make the interface entirely mouse-driven!
  • edited June 2009
    Felmarg wrote: »
    Don't like the keyboard gameplay neither.
    Point & Clic should be 100% mouse gameplay... or exeptionnaly using keyboard for some stuff (like the DeSoto in S&M S02).

Agreed. When I preordered this game, I was fully expecting it would be mouse and click. I have played Sam n Max a bit, and loved seeing how adventure games finally used their classic controls again. Point and click seems the only reasonable controls to me. For Wii I expected using the controllers as mouse, just like if you play ScummVM on the Wii.

Of course, for mini game like things, keyboard would be nice. Driving a car or something like that. Steering a boat. That sort of thing. Especially on the Wii it would probably be prefered not to have mouse controls for that sort of thing.

I already bought the game though. If I dont like it, I guess I just wont get the sequal. I really doubt I wont like it though :) Im not really that craving when it comes to adventure games. They are much too rare these days to be picky.
  • edited June 2009
    You're all wrong. Adventures need to have complete keyboard controls....they also need to have a first person view option and have some kind of weapon that you can use to go around slashing other pirates! That would be way cool! The much-too-old-fashioned and limited P&C interface is just far too outdated now and it needs to get with the times like the current action games!
  • edited June 2009
    On the subject of controls. I am playing Gobliiins 4 and Ceville these days. Both of them use mouse only controls. Well I guess you can control the characters in Ceville with AWSD as well if youd like. But a nice feature they agree on is double clicking to run. I think it was already done in Curse of Monkey Island, but adventure games can get quite annoying if you got to wait for the charactor to slowly walk from X to Y half the game. Not half as annoying as if you have to press the arrow keys for several seconds when walking between objects and locations though.

I only completed Monkey Island 4 once and the controls were THE reason for that. I am going to complete the game again this week I hope, but the controls still give me cold shivers down my spine. Makes it feel like a choir to play, although the humour in the game does make up for it.

Games like Curse of Monkey Island and Full Throttle were completely mouse driven, even in their mini games if I remember correctly. In the mini games though, I do think other controls would probably make more sense.

I expect that if it wont be completely mouse driven that there will be a good reason for it and I hope it will be because of some good new concept of control that adds to the game. Still makes me a bit scared to hear that point n click wasnt the obvious choice.
  • edited June 2009
    You're all wrong. Adventures need to have complete keyboard controls....they also need to have a first person view option and have some kind of weapon that you can use to go around slashing other pirates! That would be way cool! The much-too-old-fashioned and limited P&C interface is just far too outdated now and it needs to get with the times like the current action games!

I sure hope you are joking :) Go play Deus Ex or something. Sounds like the kind of game you are looking for. Maybe the Indyana Jones games. They were action adventures, at least after the Atlantis game. Was a bit action in Indy 3 as well.
  • edited June 2009
    Come on. Give me a little credit. If I really believed that I wouldn't be here posting my love for Monkey Island! ;)
  • edited June 2009
    I didn't like the controls of Wallace & Gromit... Please Telltale,bring back full point&click!!!
  • edited June 2009
    Any fans voting against the game not being point n click?
Sign in to comment in this discussion.