your favourite LeChuck?

what is your favourite LeChuck?

if you don't remember them all, let me sum them up for you.:

lechuck-mi1-01.png
in The Secret of Monkey Island we had this big, mighty and proud ghost LeChuck. arrogant and full of himself, and with an appearance resemblant of Bluto. semi-goofy and fumbling, but without a doubt a strong and mighty man. a quite comedic rendition.

lechuck-mi2-01.png
for LeChuck's Revenge we have a drastically different zombie-like LeChuck. he's green and spooky. flesh and blood, but not completely living. he doesn't look or act all mighty and look-at-me. instead he appears to be a bit weak and meek. but he's juts so evil! and he has pretty frightening plans for you (Guybrush). it's just an overall twisted and sinister LeChuck. really scary, and my obvious favourite of the bunch.

lechuck-mi3-01.png
well... what can I say? he has a flame beard. he can... burn you. so back to a more comedic approach. he's also big and mighty again. a bit of a return to SoMI. not in ghost form though. he's kind of a demon here.

lechuck-mi4-01.png
now this is just the same as CoMI, only better looking. not much more to say. he appears in multiple versions though, so that's good.

Comments

• edited June 2009
    I really liked the art direction of the zombie and demon incarnations and overall characterization of the CMI LeChuck. However, there's a lot to be said for the intimidating, shambling decomposed corpse that was the LeChuck of MI2. Beautifully animated, for a small outdated sprite. Its a shame that CMI zombie LeChuck seemed to have found full motor function again. I quite liked the EMI renditions for ghost and demon, though I really didn't get on with their zombie design.
  • edited June 2009
    I think the Zombie LeChuck is by far the best, i.e. the one on LeChuck's revenge.

The graphics back then were simplistic at best, though, so it'll be cool to see what LucasArts do if they make an MI2 Special Edition; somewhere between MI4's zombie-LeChuck and the MI2 zombie-LeChuck would be super :-)

So here's the portrayals of my favourite version, i.e. zombie-leChuck:

e.g. Here's LeChuck in MI2:
    mi2lechuck.png w71.png

Here he is in CMI:
    mi3lechuckzombie.th.png
    (I think LeChuck probably suffered most of all the characters in translation from MI2 to MI3)

and here he is in EMI:
    mi4lechuckcoloured.th.png
    He's a bit too, uninspiring in EMI. Like, how could that thing possibly threaten Guybrush, a swift kick in the cahoonas and his head should fall off.

I think the beard of MI2's LeChuck was just right, the rotting-corpseness of MI4 was right (though MI2 couldn't realistically add this in, however the box-art of LeChuck doesn't look best to me). I think LeChuck needed to be a rotting corpse, but also with a big red jacket and well-built, to still provide a feeling of awe. He loses that in his 'history' forms in MI4.

Did that make any sense at all? :P
  • edited June 2009
    My favorite look is on the LeChuck's Revenge box art!

Followed by his Tales look, followed then by the in-game Curse art. I don't really like his art in any of the other games in comparison.
  • edited June 2009
    Definitely curse. Perhaps it was just eh addition of Earl Boen as the voice, but he has a certain sometihng about him that is how I always think of him in general.
    LeChuck in general is just class though.
  • edited June 2009
    Mi2.
  • edited June 2009
    I actually didn't think the CMI Lechuck was that bad, he just had two problems that made him worse than the Revenge version.

1. He has part of the Serious Sam logo on his face, that just looks silly. Whomever came up with the fire beard should be bonked on the head, because it's clearly the worst aspect.

2. He moved a little too smoothly, he might be slightly more powerful but he's still a zombie, and Lechuck's Revenge conveyed that well in the way he moves, CMI didn't convey that aspect of him at all.

So really, what I'd like to see is something with the style of CMI's Lechuck, but with a non-horrid beard plus the more awkward, slow movements that really give him that animated look of a zombie.
  • edited June 2009
    The first one. The entire ghost ship was superb.
  • edited June 2009
    Who the hell didn't get scared everytime LeChuck popped up with that voodoo doll in MI2? I think that seals the deal.
  • edited June 2009
    Actually, MI4 didn't really have a unique representation of LeChuck. After it was revealed that
    Charles El Charles is really LeChuck
    He starts jumping between ghost, undead and the 'demonic' form we saw in Curse.
    Some might say that "El Charles" might have been his unique appearance for the game but to me it was just a disguise

It's always been my opinion that they didn't give him a 'unique' form for the 4th game because they were afraid of upsetting die hard fans, which is possibly quite ironic considering how irate some of them were. (You know who you are. Let's face it; you're bitter about it, even now!)
  • edited June 2009
    The LeChuck in SMI:SE is seriously cool. No version is scarier than in MI2, though. I'm personally fond of the MI3 version, especially when he first does that materialization thing as a demon in the crow's nest, but I hated the Zombie Form in MI4.
  • edited June 2009
    You can also add the giant stone LeChuck from the last one.
  • edited June 2009
    Zombie LeChuck FTW!!!
  • edited June 2009
    I always liked MI3's LeChuck, mostly because of Earl Boen's voice work. The game sort of knocked the scariness of the character that was heavy in the first two games, and he was more of a fun character and you saw him more in MI3. He was less of a boogeyman and more of jerky brother.
  • edited June 2009
    Escape because of multi forms
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    I really like that after you kill his ghost in Monkey 1, to get him back, Largo and some other folks had to go and dig up his corpse and reanimate it. That always seemed incredibly awesome to me when playing the games through for the first time. It's a really freaky thing to put in there, even if very little is made of it.
  • edited June 2009
    MI2 he was easily the most sinister and evil, MI3 I think had the best character development, as in he actually had a personality rather than just 100% evil I-need-to-kill-guybrush mentality.
  • edited June 2009
    Jake wrote: »
    I really like that after you kill his ghost in Monkey 1, to get him back, Largo and some other folks had to go and dig up his corpse and reanimate it. That always seemed incredibly awesome to me when playing the games through for the first time. It's a really freaky thing to put in there, even if very little is made of it.

Yeah, I always liked that the voodoo lady makes a point of explaining the difference between his ghost form and his zombie form in that game. I thought, if LeChuck was intimidating as a ghost, then he must be absolutely terrifying as an animated corpse.

It kind of annoyed me that he could just switch forms at will in the fourth game. But as far as continuity is concerned, that's probably the least of that game's problems.
  • edited June 2009
    Could he switch forms? or was it just a limited time voodoo spell? I do not even recall I have not played that one in a long while
  • edited June 2009
    Irishmile wrote: »
    Could he switch forms? or was it just a limited time voodoo spell? I do not even recall I have not played that one in a long while

He used to switch forms a lot during cutscenes, but he'd pick the classic one everytime after you realize he was that guy in purple.
  • edited June 2009
    I would say MI2, but I think I have to go with his zombie and demon forms in CMI. While he is awesome and pretty scary in MI2, upon replaying it (again), I just can't get over the fact that he walks like Torgo. (Take a look and see what I mean.)

Plus Earl Boen's voice work gives an advantage.
  • edited June 2009
    You just can't beat a beard on fire!
  • edited June 2009
    You just can't beat a beard on fire!
    If my beard was on fire I'm sure I'd beat on it with a towel like there was no tomorrow... :D

(Not that I'd actually want to try that, mind you - I only have that kind of beard because I'm just too lazy to shave more often... ;))

np: Tosca - Annanas (Suzuki)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.