So, about *****'s fate...

edited January 2015 in Game Of Thrones

More time has passed, gut reactions have settled down, and emotions have cooled. So, do you think Lord Ethan's murder was a death that made sense, or was it just shock value?

Comments

• Shock value purely to set the tone of the series, much like Ned's death.

• I think it has purpose - it sets up the Forresters to be in even deeper shit than before. No Lord, no one as a 'beacon of hope' and no one to hold the house together aside from the Lady of the house and the sentinel you picked. Either way, Royland and Duncan will fuck things up without Ethan to rein them in - Royland will be too headstrong, Duncan will be too much of a doormat. Granted, Gregor's death could have done the same but we're much more personally invested in it now that 'we've' died.

• That's a pretty accurate description of Royland and Duncan. Well done.

JakeSt123 posted: »

I think it has purpose - it sets up the Forresters to be in even deeper shit than before. No Lord, no one as a 'beacon of hope' and no one t

• Perhaps Telltale's got something set up for the next few episodes, since it was just the first episode who knows what ripple effects this caused. Asher could be pressured to be the new lord or since no real leadership is in place Ironforge will fall into chaos. Ethan may have been young and new, but he was the Forrester in charge and this will cause all other main characters to act in the best interest of house Forrester now more than ever. Plus I'm sure the choices Ethan made in episode 1 will have some consequence in the rest of the season.

• That's relative...

• edited January 2015

Hard to tell at this point. The importance of Ethan's death will come from the future episodes.

It was definitely a "Ned Stark" moment to get us out of our comfort zones. Character deaths are nothing new, but obviously having "you" die so early on was a deliberate attempt at shocking us. But Ned's death was not just for shock value, it served a purpose. Ethan's could also do the same.

With Ethan dead and Ryon gone the other Forresters will definitely have a lot more pressure on them. IMO, Mira is under a lot more pressure to help now (maybe even betray Margaery to seek Tyrion's help), and when Asher comes back I can see Lady Forrester pressuring him to take the Lordship so the Whitehills have less of a chip in their hostage Ryon (now the Lord of Ironrath.) Talia might harden herself too, she seemed much more on Duncan's side of the path House Forrester should take, she might desire revenge for Ethan now and side with Ser Royland. Gared might have a Jon Snow moment, where the turmoil that his House is in forces him into a decision between his loyalty to the House and his Night's Watch vows.

Ethan's death also makes sense in terms of established characterization in the GoT universe. Ramsay Snow is a character who will subjugate his people and strike at weakness. House Forrester is obviously a weak House with little military strength and a green Lord. If the Whitehills were better at crafting ironwood, he probably would have killed everyone at Ironrath and burned it to the ground.

• Except Ned's death wasn't only for shock value. It triggered a lot of events. :)

Echopapa posted: »

Shock value purely to set the tone of the series, much like Ned's death.

• Man... Was a shock in my heart.
    In fact, it was awesome.

• edited January 2015

I think Ethan's death will trigger events as well. Royland and Duncan are going to fight over who's in charge, Asher's going to be pissed, is probably going to end up trying to take Ryon back and put together an uprising of some sort, Gared and Mira will eventually get wind of his death, and who knows what will happen then.

The-Flix posted: »

Except Ned's death wasn't only for shock value. It triggered a lot of events.

• edited January 2015

He died because he was on the side that lost the war. The Whitehills supported those who gained the most from the loss and the excuse to give them even more shit is that one of their people killed some of their soldiers thus there are consequences. How does it not make sense?

Sure, you could argue that Ethan didn't need to die but he really did. Do you honestly think Ramsay Snow would let him live? Those who did not foresee his death were in denial.

• I think both. It was shock value because I doubt anyone expected for "you" to be killed off so early, and at the same time it made sense because it showed you how no Forrester is safe.

• No, Ned's death set a lot in motion - but it still made a lot of people go "Ohhh shit they killed the main character!"

The-Flix posted: »

Except Ned's death wasn't only for shock value. It triggered a lot of events.

• All three of those deaths make perfect sense.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.