Pirate movies.

Pirate movies man.. Other than the Pirates of the Caribbean.. what pirate movies can you all recommend?

I like Roman Polanski's Pirates (1986) Walter Matthau was a perfect pirate in this movie.
175px-Pirates_1986.jpg

I know the Errol Flynn movies are classics but I have only seen Capt. Blood... it was pretty good.

and of course there is Disney's Treasure Island

Hook is a great one too... the unofficial sequel to Peter Pan.... the sets in that movie are fantastic.

Comments

• edited June 2009
    The Geena Davis classic Cutthroat Island. It's not that bad.
    Muppet Treasure Island?
  • edited June 2009
    Princess Bride.

Not a film about pirates but a film with a pirate as the best character, and one of the best films I've ever had the pleasure of viewing. Not to mention that I find the hero, Wesley (Dread Pirate Robins) to be very Guybrush-like at times.
  • edited June 2009
    Little mermaid
  • edited June 2009
    the Crimson Pirate.....swashbuckling burt lancaster epic...lol
  • edited June 2009
    I enjoyed watching Pirates of the Caribbean. I always saw things that me reminded of Monkey Island games...

doh.. I just read the first post not to mention PotC :P srry...
  • edited June 2009
    Its ok you can talk about PoTC they are great films.. I just figured they were obvious because they are so new.

BTW I will be checking out the crimson pirate...
  • edited June 2009
    Muppet Treasure Island! Muppet Treasure Island!

I might want to gibbet the kid who plays Hawkins upside-down in a barrel of cement, but I love Tim Curry in that film, plus the Muppets are always good for a laugh.
  • edited June 2009
    Yellowbeard? Anyone? Eh?

(Cricket Noises)

It's the movie that killed Marty Feldman!
  • edited June 2009
    The creators of Wallace & Gromit, Aardman, are working on a 'Pirates' clay animation film now. Looking forward to that! It's going to be directed by Peter Lord. It's gonna be based on the 2004 book 'The Pirates! in an Adventure with Scientists' from author Gideon Defoe.
    I have a feeling this very well could become my favourite pirate film. I mean, pirates, Aardman, clay and a talking chimp called Mr. Bobo...what's there not to love? :cool:

concept art HERE
  • edited June 2009
    Sounds good to me
  • edited June 2009
    haven't seen much of those apart from polanski's pirates (only recently, tho... Such a shame i didn't see that one when i was twelve :eek: )
    I just read treasure island again, tho, hadn't opened that book for years and loved every line of it.
  • edited June 2009
    How about the Goonies? Classic film!
  • edited June 2009
    My kids and I watched the Crimson Pirate today... the general consensus was that it was pretty enjoyable... Burt's smile creeps me the F out though.

On a side note many a MI fans know that MI was partly inspired by the book "On Stranger Tides" I can say first hand that it is indeed a great read and highly recommended.
  • edited June 2009
    Well, it's not actually about pirates, but I quite like the Hornblower series.

And Muppet Treasure Island is of course a classic... you should also try playing the game if you can track it down.
  • lmilmi
    edited June 2009
    my favourite movie when i was a child was:
    CabinBoy.jpg ...but it's not something i'd recommend you to show your children (i've watched it several times, before the family realised it and prevented me from watching it again)...

it's not exactly a pirate movie, but the following scene seemed to me like a tribute to the MI (coulda been just a coincidence, but i doubt it): 03022009_LettermancABINbOY.jpg the wig and the monkeys look like the reference to the MI.

you can watch a scene from it here or here (the scene length is longer, and the quality's better).
  • edited June 2009
    Cabin Boy is a horrible movie. Shameful.
  • edited June 2009
    xChri5x wrote: »
    cabin boy is a horrible movie. Shameful.

*gasp*

Surely you mean to say "misunderstood."
  • lmilmi
    edited June 2009
    xChri5x wrote: »
    Cabin Boy is a horrible movie. Shameful.
    sure, if you look at it from moral perspective, it undeniably is (but if you compare the most of the "modern" films, from the same point of view, they're not just horrible; they're disastrous). however, if you discard the immoral stuff in it, then it's a fine, light, adventurous comedy about sailors.
    salmonmax wrote: »
    *gasp*

Surely you mean to say "misunderstood."
    thanx man, you're great!))))
  • edited June 2009
    Well basicly the classics:

Captain Blood
    The Seahawk
    Against All Flags
    The Black Swan
    The Crimson Pirate
  • edited June 2009
    I, for one, don't pirate movies.
  • edited June 2009
    I completely forgot about Cabin Boy I liked that movie when I was a kid too...
  • bai_ganyobai_ganyo Banned
    edited June 2009
    There's no pirate movie, like Polanski's Pirates, it is a pure gem
  • edited June 2009
    Yeah.. Walter was awesome in it
  • edited June 2009
    Man, I love Polanski, don't think I've even heard of Pirates. How did I sleep on that? Been thinking about Gilliam's Time Bandits lately, not a pirate movie, but does have some awesome seafaring sequences, and the twisted ending kinda reminds me of MI 2's infamous lack of denouement.

This reminds me, does anyone remember the talk of a live action MI film back in the day? I remember hearing Eric Stoltz (!) was slated to play Guybrush.
  • edited June 2009
    Oh, hey. This is a pretty sweet pirate movie.

http://gawker.com/5216809/somali-pirates-go-to-the-beach?autoplay=true

Actually, it's kinda boring. But short. And real!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.