So I'm finally getting aorund to playing Bone

edited June 2009 in Bone
I love it. I spent most of my teen years following the Bone books and as an adult I'm a proud owner of every book (the black and white ones, the color ones are next on my book-getting list), and I've read them all numerous times, and they've shaped the way I make art. So Bone really means a lot to me.

This series really feels very true to the material. It gave me all the warm fuzzies in all the same places, even though they changed a lot of things to make it more gameplayable. I was really surprised at how it brought all the feelings from reading bone wooshing back into my heart. Nicely done, Telltale.

And i LOVE the mini games, like ted crossing the river and such. Keep doing those (hide and seek not so much, Fone walks too slow and it felt a little trudging).

And I actually got CHILLS down my spine there at the end when Grandma and the Red Dragon faced off. AWESOME.

Time to get the Great Cow Race!

Keep this series going, TT, PLEASE! (Also make them a little longer please? I know I've only played part one, so maybe two is a little longer? Part one only took me about 2 hours.)

Comments

• edited June 2009
    Ok I'm liking how the start of the great cow race seems to go back in time a little to before they left for barrelhaven. And how the first thing said in the game was like "ok i know the last one was too short..." which bodes well.

I really hope they go back to this series after W&G and Monkey Island. I love me some Bone.

edit: also thorn sounds like she's about 10 in this one hahah
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    Glad you're enjoying them. :) And The Great Cow Race is definitely a longer game.

We don't have any new Bone games in the pipeline, but these two are great on their own, especially Cow Race. Plus it's fun to see how far we've come...
  • edited June 2009
    Emily wrote: »
    Glad you're enjoying them. :) And The Great Cow Race is definitely a longer game.

We don't have any new Bone games in the pipeline, but these two are great on their own, especially Cow Race. Plus it's fun to see how far we've come...
    It's interesting how far you've come, yet your early games still hold up and are really well done. You guys didn't start from zero, that's for sure.

Don't forget about Bone, please! I wanna play The Dragonslayer sooooo bad.
  • edited June 2009
    Emily wrote: »
    We don't have any new Bone games in the pipeline
    Could you please explain why not?
    I could not find any statement about why Telltale had stopped the Bone series after the second episode already. - Is this a franchise issue or have you sold much less copies of the game than you expected? - You have to admit that the series had originally been planned for more than just 2 episodes, as there are many open questions at the end of "the big cow race". There are more than 450 signatures already for the "sign for Bone" petition; and about 15 new signatures still get added every month, though it has been almost 2 years since that petition got started and over 3 years since the first two episodes had been published. I understand that "Monkey Island" certainly has a larger fan base, but it seems Bone also has quite some fans who would like to see this game to be continued.
  • edited June 2009
    You know i have to confess that i maybe was a bit unfair with Bone, sorry.

When i first played it, i was frustrated because it was less than easy and i rushed through in dunno microwave speed. The only thing which stopped me were the annoying hide&seek games, especially with Phoney.

But when i played it for a second time, with the kids, it made a lot more sense because when you're explaining a lot and taking your time for exploring things in a scene then it's a lot more enjoyable. Whilst the Bones for sure aren't my favorite comic, i really liked Phoney.

Some scenes look very moody and the music is very good in Bone. I got immediately hooked for instance by the dragonstair scene and sound. I also remember that i liked the mood and the art in the credits scene of Out from Boneville.

http://files.telltalegames.com/bone/soundtrack/dragonstair.mp3

Or the lovely one from the fair.

http://files.telltalegames.com/bone2/soundtrack/springfair.mp3

Or the inn.

http://files.telltalegames.com/bone2/soundtrack/barrelhaventavern.mp3

I guess it would have been nice for the fans if they would have done a third episode. I finally would vote for this one as well!
  • edited June 2009
    Actually I am playing the first part currently, and I love it. I will buy the second part as soon as I have finished the first part. It is a pity that there wont be any third part for the forseeable future, but understandable given that it was not a huge hit saleswise.
    It probably was the wrong franchise to start with. Telltale was rather unknown and the material not really known among the target audience, which is a pity because the games are really good.
  • edited June 2009
    Problem at least here in germany was that the games were too easy, especially part one, and they also got critisised for this in the reviews. So this wasn't exactly what adventure gamers, at least the ones i know of, were looking for those days.

I also would say that if Bone would have started after Sam&Max it probably would have worked a whole lot better. Episode two really is a good adventure. I enjoyed it actually more than quite some of the weaker Sam&Max episodes.

One thing i noticed when replaying it was that i loved using mouse point&click again. After playing W&G it felt a bit like a relief beeing able to steer and select this way. I'm fine with steering my character with a gamepad but the selection as it is now doesn't work for me so well and i simply want to use only one input device. I also noticed that without the preselected hotspots things turned out beeing more difficult again.

It would make sense doing a third episode or even complete a season and see how it's going this time.
  • edited June 2009
    Ok I finally have finished episode 1, and have to say it was excellent. I dont know why I never played it before, probably for the reason why most people never played it. I was not really knowing Telltale before Sam and Max and only recently got interested due to the other games!
  • edited June 2009
    werpu wrote: »
    Ok I finally have finished episode 1, and have to say it was excellent. I dont know why I never played it before, probably for the reason why most people never played it. I was not really knowing Telltale before Sam and Max and only recently got interested due to the other games!
    Agreed! - But if you liked the first episode, don't miss the second one, as I think it is even better and much longer than the first one.
  • edited June 2009
    Agreed! - But if you liked the first episode, don't miss the second one, as I think it is even better and much longer than the first one.
    No worries I will as soon as I have time, my feelings to do it however my feelings are mixed since it just stops and probably never will be continued :mad:
    But seriously I will play it also I am thinking about buying the books just to see how the story will progress.
  • edited June 2009
    I finished ep 1 today, after grabbing a load of stuff in the $5 sale. I really enjoyed it, I grabbed The Great Cow Race so I have that to look forward to.
  • edited June 2009
    No worries I will as soon as I have time, my feelings to do it however my feelings are mixed since it just stops and probably never will be continued :mad:
    But seriously I will play it also I am thinking about buying the books just to see how the story will progress.
    definitely read the books. Bone is an amazing story.
  • edited June 2009
    Duate wrote: »
    definitely read the books. Bone is an amazing story.

I just ordered the compound edition this should fill in nicely. I will have finished part two, as my baby son permits around the next days, and the 1300 pages edition with all nine books will arrive tomorrow, excellent timing :-)

I probably are too old for should being able to enjoy this stuff, but I really love all this stuff even in my progressed age of 38 :-)
    Hehe I am looking forward to the time when I can watch and play all this together with my son.
  • edited June 2009
    I just ordered the compound edition this should fill in nicely. I will have finished part two, as my baby son permits around the next days, and the 1300 pages edition with all nine books will arrive tomorrow, excellent timing :-)

I probably are too old for should being able to enjoy this stuff, but I really love all this stuff even in my progressed age of 38 :-)
    Hehe I am looking forward to the time when I can watch and play all this together with my son.
    excellent choice. and be sure to read from the start. the games are great and all, but they didn't include all of the plot from the books (they skipped some things).

and you'll be surprised how much you can enjoy them at your advanced age. they have a tendency to somehow revert us old farts to a time in life when you could read silly things and get great joy out of them, yet they still retain a very adult feel in the overarching storyline and motifs. i have a feeling you'll like them.

enjoy! :D
  • edited June 2009
    Actually the book came yesterday and I almost finished it in the night reading a few hours.
    I am at page 900 or so, and I love it, it reminds me a lot on the old Carl Barks comics from the 30s and 40s.
    It is rather rare this style is still used to that excellency.

Overall I am glad I bought the compound edition, after all comic books are fast to read (and hard to produce I guess due to the additional drawing work)

Duate wrote: »
    excellent choice. and be sure to read from the start. the games are great and all, but they didn't include all of the plot from the books (they skipped some things).

and you'll be surprised how much you can enjoy them at your advanced age. they have a tendency to somehow revert us old farts to a time in life when you could read silly things and get great joy out of them, yet they still retain a very adult feel in the overarching storyline and motifs. i have a feeling you'll like them.

enjoy! :D
  • edited June 2009
    I love the word yokels, really!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.