Reggae Music

I am hopelessly in love with reggae music... I suspect that Monkey Island might be partly responsible for this. Anyone else caught this reggae-bug? Or is it just me? :)

Comments

• edited June 2009
    I want steel drums, LOTS OF STEEL DRUMS!
    And maybe the odd, unobtrusive Bob/Ziggy Marleyesque singing (y'know, not words but kinda vocal music, if you don't know what I mean I can't explain :p)
    Seriously, trumpets, steel drums, etc.

In fact, let's just forget the whole "make new music" thing and put One Love on repeat on our music-players.
  • edited June 2009
    fun thing.
    I hate most reggae music.
    I love MI's music.
    Since MI's music = reggae music, am i just retarded ?
    Probably so.
  • edited June 2009
    I absolutely love reggae! Monkey Island definitely has a lot to do with that for me! Bob Marley of course, Damian "Jr. Gong" Marley, Ziggy Marley... more recently I've discovered Ziggi, and also the new album of the Easy Star All-Stars - they make reggae versions of well-known music; their most recent album is full of reworked Beatles songs. Other favourites are Beef, Capleton, Orange Grove, and others. :P
  • edited June 2009
    fun thing.
    I hate most reggae music.
    I love MI's music.
    Since MI's music = reggae music, am i just retarded ?
    Probably so.

I don't think it is reggea music, I think they just try to keep it in line with the music from the first 2 cames.

Here is how Wikipedia defines reggea;
    While sometimes used in a broader sense to refer to most types of Jamaican music, the term reggae more properly denotes a particular music style that originated following on the development of ska and rocksteady. Reggae is based on a rhythmic style characterized by accents on the off-beat, known as the skank. Reggae is normally slower than ska. Reggae usually accents the second and fourth beat in each bar.
    And, just so you don't need to look up the word 'Skank';
    Skanking is when a note is isolated by left hand damping of the two strings adjacent to the fully fretted string, producing the desired note (the adjacent strings are scratched). The technique is especially popular among ska, rocksteady and reggae guitarists, who use it with virtually every riddim they play on.
    I really did not think that this was a real word... (I like the way they used the word ‘riddim’ on Wikipedia :P)

Also, according to wiki, the Steel Drums weren't invented until the 20th century (or at least it's strongly implied).

Still, I don't see why they can't allow for a few anachronisms in such a light hearted game which was a comedy from the start. I imagine there’d still be people who would complain for its inaccuracy.

Calypso might be more on the button; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calypso_music
  • edited June 2009
    Especially since they have Guybrush talking about the internet on MI4, and in MI3 there are laser-guided cannon (iirc) :)
  • edited June 2009
    Sure, I like reggae. The opening tune from SOMI is still as awesome as ever, especially on the VGA CD version (with the re-recorded soundtrack).
  • edited June 2009
    Hmmm, quite a few Dutch people here... how about a game of Pim Pam Pet? ;P

Name a video game company with a... T!
  • edited June 2009
    You know, since reading this thread i've been in the mood for all things carribean; i went out and purchased some dark chocolate with rum and raisins and some dark chocolate with pieces of orange in it (apparently oranges came from south east asia, but they're commonly farmed in florida) and have been listening to some Barington Levi.

Having never listened to barrington levi with monkey island in mind, before, i for the first time noticed the similarities between some of the music from "here I come" with some of the music from either the third or 4th monkey island game (don't remember which, sorry).
  • edited June 2009
    Three D Realms!
    Oh wait...
  • edited June 2009
    Haggis wrote: »
    Take 2?
  • edited June 2009
    Team17 - The awesome creators of Worms?
  • edited June 2009
    How can you not love reggae? I don't know, but I don't like it at all. MI isn't reggae though, so it's cool.

I mean, we can listen to some beats in MI and there's a lot of Marleys- but noone is called Bob.
  • edited June 2009
    I guess I have a relaxed relationship with reggae. I like quite a bit of it, but I don't have much in my music collection. I have more ska. but honestly I'm more into emo, so.
  • edited June 2009
    eh? emo is a state of mind? what's emo in musicstyles?
  • edited June 2009
    Marduk wrote: »
    Having never listened to barrington levi with monkey island in mind, before, i for the first time noticed the similarities between some of the music from "here I come" with some of the music from either the third or 4th monkey island game (don't remember which, sorry).

Sounds like they have a guitar-style (or is it a keyboard... people mess with instrument sounds so much I can never tell what they are... the one that's playing at the same pace as the drum) sounds a little similar to the CMI music, esp. at the intro of CMI I think
  • edited June 2009
    eh? emo is a state of mind? what's emo in musicstyles?

what? emo is short for emotional hardcore, a style of music that evolved from hardcore punk in the mid-80s.
  • edited June 2009
    Yep, I like reggae music. And I also think Monkey Island has something to do with it.
    I think reggae is one of the best things in the music of monkey island. It is very clever to use as relaxed background music, almost all the time it has a very catchy bassloops, and you can combine it easily with other musicstyles.
    For example the song "Mocking the Voodoo Lady & Voodoo Jazz" from CMI.
    Click here for Mp3 Example
    I think this particular song is very creative and great, because it combines reggae with something completely different like jazz. Monkey Island is taking reggae music to a whole other direction, and it think that's is what makes the music of the game so great.
    (Although of course a lot of things has to be said about the fantastic melodies too)
  • edited June 2009
    anyone heard the Press Play on Tape version of the MI theme? it's pretty good :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCfclrcnviE
  • edited June 2009
    Thanks to a friend of mine, I really got into roots reggae and reggae dub.
    If you like Monkey Island's music (who doesn't here), you should definitely check out some tracks by 10ft Ganja Plant. They got some great instrumental tracks, which really have the MI vibe to it.
    Midnight landing. This is absolutely brilliant:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfH3lFr4ZtM
    And Chanting Nyabinghi (You can almost imagine a scene with the Voodoo Lady here)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tweb6h49Y0s

Another artist I like is Augustus Pablo. He's a great melodica player.
    Pretty Baby:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfXLWCQlqX4&feature=related
    Meditation dub:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZtgHRCfyzs
  • edited June 2009
    Well I talked with Peter MC about the music and he said that MI-music is a mix of Reggae and Carribean music. Though I thought it's a mix of Jazz with Carribean instruments because of the bassline and some rhythmic elements. Maybe Michael can help me out with the music some more... but he's kinda busy now. Thanks to you, TTG!!"
  • edited June 2009
    Haggis wrote: »
    how about a game of Pim Pam Pet? ;P

Taito Corporation? :)
  • edited June 2009
    what? emo is short for emotional hardcore, a style of music that evolved from hardcore punk in the mid-80s.
    I think it might have died in the 80s, too, because the bands that people claim are 'Emo' these days (bullet for my valentine, my chemical romance, etc) are not emo. There's a bunch of other bands which people claim to be but aren't but they don't spring to mind. (i try to avoid them, in any case).

Somebody tried to tell me that Dashboard Confessional was emo… their not even punk, though, they’re acoustic and well too mellow, so how can they be emotional hardcore?
  • edited June 2009
    I think it might have died in the 80s, too, because the bands that people claim are 'Emo' these days (bullet for my valentine, my chemical romance, etc) are not emo. There's a bunch of other bands which people claim to be but aren't but they don't spring to mind. (i try to avoid them, in any case).

Somebody tried to tell me that Dashboard Confessional was emo… their not even punk, though, they’re acoustic and well too mellow, so how can they be emotional hardcore?

I've heard 'em all called emo from Green Day to Duke Special.

I can see where people are coming from with GD, but DS? lol. I think the music video may be what people are talking about. But people call anything with any emotion in whatseover emo these days
  • edited June 2009

uh people call Green Day and stuff like that punk. that doesn't mean punk doesn't exist. even though there are mainstream media exploiting the terms, that doesn't necessary mean that it doesn't still exist in the underground.

there are probably thousands of emo bands today.
  • edited June 2009
    uh people call Green Day and stuff like that punk. that doesn't mean punk doesn't exist. even though there are mainstream media exploiting the terms, that doesn't necessary mean that it doesn't still exist in the underground.

there are probably thousands of emo bands today.
    You are right. (God I hope you're right). I don't think that anybody said that people calling Green Day punk means that punk doesn't exist. Greenday are Pop Punk.
  • edited June 2009
    I don't believe in pop "punk". it's a joke. but yeah there's a lot of emo going on. check my free music blog http://thatspunk.linustorvaldsfacts.com/ :)
  • edited June 2009
    Big fan of the immortal Desmond Dekkar. Someone mentioned the Easy Star All Stars, their Radiodread album is fantastic. Gotta love Black Uhuru, Scientist, King Tubby, Burning Spear...it's a vast world unto itself, raggae is, and the Marley dynasty is just scratching the surface.

I'm also hugely in love with afrobeat; the music, words, and politics of Fela Anikulapo Kuti changed my life. These days I'm deep into Mulatu Astatke from Ethiopia, a contemporary of Fela's but with a style all his own. You can hear his music in the Jim Jarmusch film "Broken Flowers."

Also, almost anything you can get your hands on from Mali is incredible. Said to be the land where American Blues originates from, listen to Amadou and Miriam's (blind married singer/guitarists) new album and you just might believe it.
  • bai_ganyobai_ganyo Banned
    edited June 2009
    Monkey Island's soundtrack is mostly Calypso, I'd be happy about some reggea too, especially old school (Toots; Desmond D. and such)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.