Supporting 4 again, showing some love

Monkey island 2 disappointed me when I first played it. It starts off with a guybrush that looks NOTHING like the monkey island one guybrush . His hair is the wrong color, his body is the wrong size, his beard is wrong. He doesn't even look like the same person ! The voodo lady is off of Melee island and in some elaborate skull in a swamp WTF? Its like they wanted to reboot and rape the first game as hard as they could. The Guybrush/ Elaine relationship is sloppishly de-evolved , and the ending doesn't even make any damn sense ! The third game tries to revive the franchise, yes REVIVE . By making a guybrush with the same hair color as the first game, and repairing the Elaine / Guybrush relationship and although the character is sytlized the stylization looks like Guybrush even though drawn differently to bring out the character . The third game spends like an hour at the end trying to explain THE BLOODY MESS that the second game is ,then comes the 4th game , have to double post on ps3 .

Comments

• edited June 2009
    Monkey island 4 comes along, and finally Guybrush looks like Guyrbush again, The elaine , guybrush relationship is not some drawn out sloppy chaotic , retarded de-evolving drama with no ambition ....it's more realistic and true as the first game was going for . The game had atleast an ending that made sense, the art was closer to monkey island than the 3rd game, even the 2nd.....yes, it's true ...and the story didn't almost murder the franchise even though it added some extreme twists atleast someone actually put some thought into it so that the game later won't need to spend an hour explaining why this stupid ending makes any sense at all.....Two is the most disconnected from the entire series and its influence was CHAOTIC ! Atleast the 4th game nods to the others FAR MORE and holds the franchise together, even though it does some very extreme things towards the end . Maybe if not revive it by fan base MI3 desperately tries to save any creditiblity the franchise still had left. Mi-4 was certain of itself
  • edited June 2009
    While I don't entirely think that any one of the games systematically did anything to hurt or wound the franchise (which thankfully isn't the case because MI games are still being produced), I think people are too readily eager to jump on the bandwagon of lambasting number 4. It was a very well made game, and the artistic style and gameplay were what the developers/designers thought was best with what technology was available. It was actually enjoyable. It was actually fun. I feel the need to go against the grain of what everyone else is saying in terms of #4 being disappointing. It doesn't really matter if the game community shares the subtle undertoned belief that #4 isn't canon (or the whining about thereof). What is done is done (and was done rather well)
  • edited June 2009
    I think you're overthinking it. If you are looking for evolved romantic drama, there are other games that actually try to do this. Leisure Suit Larry comes to mind. Have you tried reading any novels by Danielle Steel? That might be more up you alley.
  • edited June 2009
    Why didn't you just combine your first two posts into one?

As for Monkey Island 2, after playing it again recently, I think that it may be my new favorite. So what if the Voodoo Lady is on a different island? She moves a lot throughout the series, and from the sound of it, is on a different island at the start of Tales of Monkey Island, as well. It would not be very surprising for the player to find her in the same place in every game.

The ending is most likely a metaphor. Or simile. I always get the two mixed up. Actually, I am just quoting Ron Gilbert there, but I think that it is fairly clear that
    Guybrush is under a voodoo spell.
    I like it, though. It is a nice "what the fu**" cliffhanger.

By the way, Escape from Monkey Island is my least favorite, and I am dreading having to replay it after I finish replaying Curse of Monkey Island, but it must be done before July 7th.
  • edited June 2009
    Zinc wrote: »
    I think you're overthinking it. If you are looking for evolved romantic drama, there are other games that actually try to do this. Leisure Suit Larry comes to mind. Have you tried reading any novels by Danielle Steel? That might be more up you alley.

I just don't like sappy romances that have to take place in the past, back track because some writer doesn't understand his material well enough to create a new vision and back story to his characters...so he has to simply rehash what he's already give us from the last game...only by the time of the second game, its old news, boring, and frustrating ...... I mean come on, if I wanted to play a game that never evolves I wouldn't be playing the next game of a video game series ....I am so glad that Mi-3 keept the REAL guybrush and relationship he had with Elaine alive, and not something simply flipped around from the game from before.....See I liked the relationship and game 3, and atleast I could see some vision behind it .
  • edited June 2009
    stop making threads.
  • edited June 2009
    stop making threads.

i got some advice for you too, stop bumping threads that you don't like. That would just be the beginning of my advice for you though.;)
  • edited June 2009
    doodo! wrote: »
    his beard is wrong
    I don't understand how his beard can be wrong if he never had one before MI2.
    His hair is the wrong color
    Also thought I'd mention that Guybrush's hair is EXACTLY the same color between SoMI and MI2. If you don't believe me, find or take uncompressed screenshots from the game and check the RGB values of the hair color.
    his body is the wrong size
    And yet he turns into a stringbean in Curse of Monkey Island and you don't mention that at all in your post.. :rolleyes: Not to mention he's exactly the same number of pixels high between SoMI and MI2.
  • edited June 2009
    Ha ha haa You got me back good didn't you. Nicely done, sometimes you win , sometimes you loose . Well they made him a Jew and I didn't like it !
  • edited June 2009
    well they made him a jew and i didn't like it!
    What?
  • edited June 2009
    What?

Ed: <ahem>
  • edited June 2009
    picture.php?albumid=245&pictureid=1669
  • edited June 2009
    Playing it innocent , huh !? Anyone who has played the second game knows it ! KNOWS IT ! AND YOU KNOW IT TOO ! Little GuyWood JewBrush ! He's rolling in bling, full of money and married to a JEW ! Only a Jew could be so wealthy ! ONLY A JEW ! ***** JEW !

You like it under our bridge, I guess, however we don't like you under our bridge please either get on top of the bridge or go far away.
  • edited June 2009
    picture.php?albumid=245&pictureid=1669
    *Gives Red Herring to Bridge Troll*
  • edited June 2009
    Can't always entertain your ideas. So yes, I trolled you, and I trolled you good. I've posted rational things in some other threads, but not this one, not today, not as of last minute. It was more fun that way anyways , I'm allowed to not take everything seriously. If you want a serious read, go read NAtional georgraphic and not a public monkey island forum . Back on topic, I never knew that it was all the same, that basically sums up the argument. Same hair color and size you say ? Amazing that you had that much time on your hands to figure that out, good for you, but you had to look to find out didn't you ? When I played it the first time it looked brown, when I played mi-one it looked a different color , just me . I never progammed the images out of the game into a paint program to compare images though, but everyone spends their time differently.
  • edited June 2009
    Can't always entertain your ideas. So yes, I trolled you, and I trolled you good. I've posted rational things in some other threads, but not this one, not today, not as of last minute. It was more fun that way anyways , I'm allowed to not take everything seriously. If you want a serious read, go read NAtional georgraphic and not a public monkey island forum . Back on topic, I never knew that it was all the same, that basically sums up the argument. Same hair color and size you say ? Amazing that you had that much time on your hands to figure that out, good for you, but you had to look to find out didn't you ? When I played it the first time it looked brown, when I played mi-one it looked a different color , just me . I never progammed the images out of the game into a paint program to compare images though, but everyone spends their time differently.
    I wasn't making an argument. I was stating facts to refute your false statements. Also, trying to make a personal attack towards me about how I spend my time is really weak. I could say the same thing of you about your use of time to troll these forums, if that is indeed what you are attempting to do here. Not to mention that I always have Photoshop open, and it took me all of about 30 seconds to get an image of Guybrush from SoMI and MI2 into Photoshop to compare.

This is a forum--for discussion. If you're going to make a thread and make statements (not to be confused with personal opinions, make as many of those as you wish) at least check your facts.
  • edited June 2009
    Man, I am just not good with people, but I think I like you in my own way . I can be a real jerk if I let myself slide , I actually like you . As for my nonsense post ...well that's a long story . It's part of a some what disorder, or mental dilema . I'm not good with people anymore , I got a head ache , got to go rest. Take care man, and yeah thanks for the research apparently he is the same color and size . I have people problems , some times I let loose of them. To be honest I'm surprised I haven't been banned yet. For the sake of a point being made in this thread I am suprised its the same color as I thought as a child that the two guybrushes look little alike and I was dissapointed. Is the guybrush cut scene guybrush the same as well?
  • edited June 2009
    I'm so disappointed this thread didn't contain any filth.
    Monkey island 2 disappointed me when I first played it. It starts off with a guybrush that looks NOTHING like the monkey island one guybrush . His hair is the wrong color, his body is the wrong size, his beard is wrong.
    I really disagree. In MI 1 Guybrush was a pixelated lump and in MI 2 he was less of an pixelated lump. He feels the same size and anyone can grow a beard. He has another set of clothes, doesn't look like a dude swabbing the deck anymore, more like a captain.
    He doesn't even look like the same person ! The voodo lady is off of Melee island and in some elaborate skull in a swamp WTF?
    Are we really discussing the improbability of someone moving? Her new home is a definite upgrade. Don't be silly.
    Its like they wanted to reboot and rape the first game as hard as they could. The Guybrush/ Elaine relationship is sloppishly de-evolved , and the ending doesn't even make any damn sense !
    What do you mean sloppishly de-evolved? It's a relationship, it goes up and down. Maybe your long history of relationships could teach me otherwise? And the ending doesn't make any sense- what are you on about? It's a contemporary ending. So many other franchises had endings like this, but I do agree it's silly and I never liked those kind of things like: "The End!" and then in the next screen: "...or is it?". So the ending isn't spectacular for such a great adventure, but it's ok and perfectly in style with the corny dialogue and everything else in the game.
    The third game tries to revive the franchise, yes REVIVE . By making a guybrush with the same hair color as the first game, and repairing the Elaine / Guybrush relationship and although the character is sytlized the stylization looks like Guybrush even though drawn differently to bring out the character .
    What's all this obsession with hair color anyways? At least the hair doesn't turn into fire. I mean, if feel there's better points to make than rambling about hair-color. It was dyed ok? He dyed it.

MI 3's even more cartoonish look and well made graphics were appealing to me as well, but I don't understand this relationship thingy. I don't think it's that hard to understand their relationship.
    The third game spends like an hour at the end trying to explain THE BLOODY MESS that the second game is ,then comes the 4th game , have to double post on ps3 .
    Well, I think MI 3 would have been different if the original creator made it, but I do agree that it continues the story really well. I don't really see an issue with how MI 2 left of, it left it kinda wide open and undefinite if you regard the ending as anything else than just straight storyline and absolute truth.
    Monkey island 4 comes along, and finally Guybrush looks like Guyrbush again, The elaine , guybrush relationship is not some drawn out sloppy chaotic , retarded de-evolving drama with no ambition
    Ok, it's obvious me and you interpret this game and approach it very differently. You seem to focus on storyline, how the characters look and the romance taking place. I just wanna solve puzzles and get lost in a piratey paradise. I wanna feel like I'm there, wandering around in dark alleys and noisy bars, smelling wooden ships, tar and rum, listening to deranged laughters of drunken sailors and swords clashing or roaming a beach throwing stuff at the monkeys and parrots while trying to decipher a map.
    ....it's more realistic and true as the first game was going for . The game had atleast an ending that made sense, the art was closer to monkey island than the 3rd game, even the 2nd.....yes, it's true ...and the story didn't almost murder the franchise even though it added some extreme twists atleast someone actually put some thought into it so that the game later won't need to spend an hour explaining why this stupid ending makes any sense at all.....
    Whatever. In MI3 Guybrush coulda just woken up on a beach saying "Wow, what a weird dream" or whatever. It was the creators of MI 3's choice to so deeply try to go into MI 2's ending. It's THAT game's fault.
    Two is the most disconnected from the entire series and its influence was CHAOTIC !
    Yeah, if you look on colors of hair I agree with you. It's an absolute abomination MI 2 even sold at all! Lucasarts were flooded with angry fans yelling obscene stuff about hair colors, it was madness I tell you....MADNESS! And the influence! It was CHAOTIC! MADNESS! BLOODY MURDER!
    Atleast the 4th game nods to the others FAR MORE and holds the franchise together, even though it does some very extreme things towards the end .
    And let's not forget the importance of haircolor! Look I don't care what bogus kind of solution MI 4 takes. It was too early for 3D. The characters, if you look at anything but hair color, have no soul. They move in that sorta clumbsy way only computorized characters can move. The controls are very bad. Now here's something you could focus on when talking about realism, because I think it's a really huuuuuge let down and something that really robs a lot from the game when you run around like that. It's ugly.
    Maybe if not revive it by fan base MI3 desperately tries to save any creditiblity the franchise still had left. Mi-4 was certain of itself

Ok, what really goes on here is extremely obvious and also why I didn't bother to answer to your thread when I first saw it:
    You don't believe in it yourself.

You consciously took a stand to provoke/make a point just for the sake of it. You told yourself: "I'm going to downplay MI 2" and then you tried to find stuff you could say. The problem is that you didn't find anything good to complain about, hence your main issue is something as silly as haircolor and some vague complaint about the direction of a relationship.

I've made up my mind about MI 4 and it's mostly based on the gameplay and on the atmosphere, that's stuff that's kinda crucial for a game to be good. The thing is, I made up my mind after playing the game, I didn't artificially construct the complaints just for the sake of complaining like you.

And yeah, I'm also kinda surprised you havenät been banned yet :).

:p<- Looks kinda hot still yeah?
  • edited June 2009
    I got enough enemies . Peace man .
  • edited June 2009
    I got enough enemies . Peace man .

Sorry, I don't take prisoners.
  • edited June 2009
    We will call it a cold war for now then . Let's not get off topic with this though.
  • edited June 2009
    Complaining about the voodoo lady moving makes absolutely no sense... If it was a big obstacle for you to get over in 2 wouldn't it have been another obstacle for you in your darling 4 too.... BTW pretty much all the characters move around its not just the Voodoo lady..

P.S. have you asked anyone to photoshop those Elaine pics yet? I totally understand by the way... I can remember being an 11 year old boy when Street Fighter II came out and pausing the game midway through a Chun-Li back flip so my friends and I could giggle...
  • edited June 2009
    Irishmile wrote: »
    I can remember being an 11 year old boy when Street Fighter II came out and pausing the game midway through a Chun-Li back flip so my friends and I could giggle...

I can see it:
    "Street Fighter- the sexperience. Confession by a horny teen."
  • edited June 2009
    Heck yeah those days where different for a kid man..... the internet wasn't nearly as fast back then if you know what I mean... and what I mean is you had to wait longer to check you stocks
  • edited June 2009
    Irishmile wrote: »
    Heck yeah those days where different for a kid man..... the internet wasn't nearly as fast back then if you know what I mean... and what I mean is you had to wait longer to check you stocks

Dude, I got into computers by playing C64 when I was really small. I have stared into a blue screen with white text saying "LOADING..." for hours just to get my soul crushed by "ERROR" after 30 minutes. I had games on a tape and had to rewind to make them load. Hahaha, it's so cool I can say this stuff! Makes me feel oooold.
  • edited June 2009
    ... Oh yeah I know... I try explaining the days before the internet to my kids and I end up sounding like my Grandfather when he used to complain about having to walk 6 miles one way in a snow storm with no shoes just to chop some wood so his family could stay warm at night when he was a kid...(True story actually)
  • edited June 2009
    Yup, know that feeling. I usually stop halfway through telling tho, because I realize how clichée I sound like.
This discussion has been closed.