Content in Monkey Island

edited June 2009 in Tales of Monkey Island
I've never played a Monkey Island game, so this may seem out of place to some MI fanatics. However, what kind of content do the games contain? Would you relate to more Sam and Max-type humor or gentler Bone content?
I just don't really want to get the season without getting any information on it beforehand.

Thanks,
-Evan

Comments

• edited June 2009
    I don't wanna get into a discussion about definitions, but I'm 100% sure that if you like this genre of games, you will love Monkey Island. There have been forums up and running for 10 years with people still discussing it and loving it, so you're in for a really nice adventure. You have to pre-order really.
  • edited June 2009
    I have not played Bone, but I'd say MI is pretty close to Sam & Max type humor. It should have a more developed story than a Sam & Max game, particularly since they have said the main story-line will span all 5 episodes. I think the strength of MI is in its characters. In Sam & Max, Sam & Max are generally the funniest characters in the game. In MI, Guybrush is funny sometimes, but he is more of a regular guy who happens to meet a lot of funny characters. I'd say if you like Sam & Max, you will probably like Monkey Island.

Do yourself a favor, and play all of the old MI games.
  • edited June 2009
    MI is far edgier than Bone but not as outlandishly ridiculous as Sam & Max. It's very playful with its comedy - often subtle, sometimes silly, and yet quite dark. I would say Bone is very light & fluffy and Sam & Max is relentlessly silly and upbeat, while Monkey Island is dark and full of wit: It's a pirate ghost story at heart, but with quite a focus on the playful use of words - the insult sword-fighting being a prime example.

You really should download scummvm and get hold of the originals (but you knew I was going to say that, right?)
  • edited June 2009
    Monkey Island is just the best of the best.
    It's unexplainable, just play it and see.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.