Ironrath traitor theory

I noticed there was some sort of misunderstanding about the Whitehill soldiers in the Great Hall, although some of you let them wait outside while Lord Whitehill and Ramsay were invited to talk with Ethan. I've noticed a suggestion from another topic that it may be a traitor working for Whitehills/Boltons so I decided to expand this assumption into a theory.

Actually, I'm pretty sure it's Maester Ortengryn.

1. Ser Royland - the man served Forresters for many years and offered rash advice, which can't be considered as some sort of manipulation. Maybe, in future episodes he really can do something stupid and dangerous (especially, if he feels fooled with Sentinel thing), but I really can't see him as traitor.
  2. Duncan - calm, loyal and smart Duncan as traitor, the only one (except Gared, of course), who knows about the North Grove, Lord Gregor's longtime friend? Don't think so.
  3. Someone of Ironrath residents - an average peasant/guard, who just wants to survive in Westeros and get some gold from Whitehills. Too boring to be true, I hope.
  4. Major plot hole - please, no.
  5. Ortengryn - maybe, he seems quite wise and loyal, but I have noticed some facts that actually made me feel there's something wrong with him. First of all, Lord Gregor's words to tell about the North Grove no one but Duncan. In 'Iron From Ice', except Duncan, only Elissa and Ortengryn could hear about the North Grove from Gared. Aditionally, Duncan seriously asked Gared if someone knows about the Grove. I think it was actually incorporated into gameplay to show the player it was a wrong step to inform Maester about the Grove. Also, we know that Ortengryn was sent to Ironrath after Jon Arryn's death (see Codex) - it means around 298 AC. Events of 'Iron From Ice' take place near the end of 299 AC. It seems that Maester is on duty for about a year. As we all know, Ortengryn was the only member of Small Council who suggested and supported the idea to give Ramsay Snow Forrester's Ironwood, as Duncan said, 'the only thing we can bargain with.' And by the way, where was Ortengryn when Ethan was mortally wounded by Ramsay?

It's just a theory, but... who knows?

Comments

• edited January 2015

where was Ortengryn when Ethan was mortally wounded by Ramsay?

Opening the gates for the Whitehill garrison to come inside.

The Forrester soldiers would listen to the Maester, especially if he told them "Lord Ethan says the Whitehill men should be allowed inside."

Personally I think he's in it more for himself and for cash rather than wanting the Forresters extinct. I expect it stemmed from the fact he wasn't assigned the placement or House he wanted so he got a bit pissed off and wants compensation for that.

• I am inclined to agree with you about the Maester. I always thought it was fishy that he would ask himself, and then when the Lady Forrester is speaking with Gared later, Ortengryn seems to be pushing him to reveal things too.

I always wondered too, why the Lord Forrester only wants Duncan to know of his last message? I mean, i understand that a secret is a secret and all, and that the Lord wouldn't want Gared to just spill the beans to anyone and everyone, and i also understand that Duncan is the Castellan of Ironrath and Lord Gregors trusted friend. But, why wouldn't he want his family to know the secret that could save their House?
    There must be underlying trust issues within the House that the Lord is Already aware of i think.

And with so many of the northern lords and ladies (in the books) becoming, or having been dissilusioned for some time now with their Maesters and whether their usefulness outweighs their risks. I think the idea that Maester Ortengryn could be the Traitor inside Ironrath, is definately feasible and in line with the source material.

• good observation.

• I thought this was a fairly common assumption.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.