Replaying the originals? (may contain nuts/spoilers)

I'm guessing that there are a lot of people in here who are going to be playing through one or more of the original games before Tales comes out. I'm planning on getting through them all myself (and just finished Secret).

So I was wundrin', if you are replaying them, how do they hold up in 2009? Is there anything new you noticed, and where did you get stuck when you should really know better? ;)

Spoilers will inevitably follow.

Comments

• edited June 2009
    Secret of Monkey Island - playthrough bajillion, probably. But first in about four years.

Spent a long time fiddling with scummvm to get the pixels nice and blocky. I don't need no antialaising! Game looks pretty good, seems to survive my widescreen monitor too.

I wanna be a pirate. The lookout's fire sounds crackly, I thought my sound was busted for a while.

When there's only one candidate, there's only one choice. Apt - I started playing on the day of the European Parliament elections. (Actually, the ballot sheet for that election unfolded like a scroll, so maybe not so apt.)

Stan's used ship yard felt weird with music blaring and no Stan present. I think that would have been much better if it had kicked in when you first met him - good music though. Wonder what they'll do in the special edition.

Finding Carla is oh so much easier when you *know* you've got to follow the shopkeeper. But where the hell was that stump? I didn't find it this time around.

The first place I got stuck was on Melee, where you have to give Otis the gopher repellent - I had remembered that you just had to give him the mints, but gopher repellant? I used it directly on the rat, surely Guybrush could have dropped a hint or two. I ran around that damn island for hours! What's worse is, I was anticipating the grog puzzle and couldn't remember where the mugs came from :(

I read Ron's blog about the length of the scene behind the wall in the Governor's mansion. It did seem slightly long to me, but then I was looking for it :/ I remember laughing so much at that originally, doesn't work so well in a replay.

Shopkeeper and credit: forgot that "look at safe" would not automatically remember the combination for me. Damn modern adventures and their coddling.

Monkey Island was a breeze, a lot of travelling though. I wish there was a beach on the north side of the monkey head peninsula for travel between there and the cannibals. Tempting the monkey with a precise number of bananas is a little obscure and I can remember giving up on that angle early on in my first playthrough.

Actually, it did take me a little while to get the gunpowder from the cannon. And I've only just realised that the cannonball didn't get used...

Love the brief conversation with the three-headed monkey in the cannibal camp, just when the cannibals exit stage left. The game has a real sense of timing and pace at times.

The second place I got stuck was on the ghost ship - I didn't think to use the magnetic compass on the key. AGAIN. This puzzle has stumped me EVERY time I have played this game so far. To begin with it sent me on many trips back to the island to see what I was missing; this time only one, to confirm that the cannibals didn't have anything for oiling a door. Ugh. Disappointing that you have to go through the navigator's head rigmarole again too... did anyone get this first time?

I left the crew on MI this time, didn't realise they were locked up - I guess I must have freed them in my other playthroughs since I remember them greeting me when I got off of the ghost ship. This is entirely from memory so I've probably got it all wrong - I don't need no Google.

The dialogue in the church had me in hysterics, I'd clearly played this less than the rest. Love how LeChuck watches Guybrush and Elaine like he's watching tennis; and then the silly back-and-forth between Guybrush and LeChuck. And the monkeys. Brilliant.

Stan getting thwacked by LeChuck got a big laugh from me too :)

Now, turn off your computer and go to sleep.
  • edited June 2009
    playclever wrote: »
    Stan's used ship yard felt weird with music blaring and no Stan present. I think that would have been much better if it had kicked in when you first met him - good music though. Wonder what they'll do in the special edition.
    But where the hell was that stump? I didn't find it this time around.
    Judging by the fact that Stan's Used Ships featured music, it sounds like you were playing the CD version of the game. I looked all over the place for that damn stump joke in my recent playthrough, but never found it. This is because LucasArts removed it from the CD version. Too many technical support calls, I imagine.
    I left the crew on MI this time, didn't realise they were locked up - I guess I must have freed them in my other playthroughs since I remember them greeting me when I got off of the ghost ship. This is entirely from memory so I've probably got it all wrong - I don't need no Google.
    I have played Secret of Monkey Island (EGA and VGA) quite a few times, and I don't think that I have ever brought the crew back with me. Sinking the ship and stranding them on Monkey Island is just too hysterical. That's what they get for being lazy.

PS. I am currently working on Curse of Monkey Island. I replayed through Secret of Monkey Island and Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge this past week. I plan to dig up Escape from Monkey Island before July 7th, but will likely have a beer by my side for that.
  • edited June 2009
    mhaley wrote: »
    It sounds like you were playing the CD version of the game

I was! I originally played the floppy version but it's hard to bring myself to play that one these days... at least I'm not going mad!
  • edited June 2009
    mhaley wrote: »
    It sounds like you were playing the CD version of the game. I looked all over the place for that damn stump joke in my recent play-through, but never found it. This is due to the fact that LucasArts removed it from the CD version. Too many technical support calls, I imagine.

I thought the stump remained, but they just took the "insert disc 22" out, as a) it wouldn't fit the one CD game format, and b) the tech support.
    It just says that he is too big to fit through the stump.
  • edited June 2009
    Or, maybe I am going mad...
  • edited June 2009
    I've replayed Curse and am replaying Escape (the only ones I have :( ). The gimmick I'm trying to follow is that I want to hear all the hints regarding what I'm supposed to do. So far I've only failed that on figuring out how to get the Map for Blood Island as I only found the hint after getting the map :(

Also, while playing Escape the game bugged out and it bypassed the puzzle to get the wooden hand :P
  • edited June 2009
    I replay every MI each year at least once. I barely get stuck anywhere. It's like MI-training^^
  • edited June 2009
    AndyBundy wrote: »
    I replay every MI each year at least once. I barely get stuck anywhere. It's like MI-training^^

Same here. It's worrying how I can quote-along the way I could with Star Wars as a kid, except I can't remember all the sound effects as accurately.:p
  • edited June 2009
    I recently replayed SMI for the first time in a while (don't know exactly how long) and for the first time ever I actually did not leave my crew stranded on MI, and instead left Herman behind. I've never done that before, so it was an interesting experience. :)
  • edited June 2009
    Guybrush's middle name is Ulysses? I certainly did not remember that :/
  • edited June 2009
    RobD wrote: »
    Same here. It's worrying how I can quote-along the way I could with Star Wars as a kid, except I can't remember all the sound effects as accurately.:p
    I know, it's pretty strange to know what happens. And you can still laugh about the jokes, that's amazing. This is some really good humor. I'm missing this in other genres.
  • edited June 2009
    Xocrates wrote: »
    Guybrush's middle name is Ulysses? I certainly did not remember that :/
    play EMI, then you'll do remember ;-)
  • edited June 2009

So, is he Guybrush Ulysses Marley-Threepwood, officially? I shudder to think.
  • edited June 2009
    Yeah... That was kind of what I was doing.
  • edited June 2009
    I was sorely tempted to replay 1 and 2 again... maybe I will... and chronicle the process for other people's amusement hahaha.
    Maybe it's an excuse to have a go at a Youtube "let's play" vid series.. to jump on the bandwagon and inflict my hideous accent on the world. HAHAHAH!
  • edited June 2009
    The first place I got stuck was on Melee, where you have to give Otis the gopher repellent - I had remembered that you just had to give him the mints, but gopher repellant? I used it directly on the rat, surely Guybrush could have dropped a hint or two. I ran around that damn island for hours! What's worse is, I was anticipating the grog puzzle and couldn't remember where the mugs came from :(

Same 2 puzzles that stumped me the most replaying it! i spent a good hour trying to steal the mugs from the pirates in the scumm bar and trying to pick up anything mug-like (ie goblet in voodo lady place). forgot gopher repellant puzzle so felt it was grog time :confused:
    Was hoping for more moments like this in mi2/3 but seemed to remember too much. maybe i spent too much time as a kid having head-to-head monkey island races with a mate =s
  • edited June 2009
    I did a play through of MI 1, 2, and 3 last week.

I took a couple of screenshots from MI2 I thought particularly amusing:

The choices are limitless!
    optionsarelimitless.PNG

Cameos!
    samnmax.PNG
  • edited June 2009
    I have to tell you I still think that game looks pretty darn good, even if its old... they really pushed those pixels in the right direction when making that game.
  • edited June 2009
    I never quite understood that spitting puzzle however many times i play it...

spoiler

do you have to hit the shield a certain number of times or just click the right place? I normally leave it about a year before replaying mi2, every time I forget and think there must be something to do before Gobbing/Emitting/Looching on the shield. always taken me by surprise this one
  • edited June 2009
    You can always wait some minutes to see how Guybrush adds a dramatic touch to his story.
  • edited June 2009
    I've been playing MI2 through Scumm VM for the first time ever, and it makes a helluva difference. I had no idea there was even a Lite version of the game (Though that part's a disappointment, because it leaves out huge chunks of the game, unlike the lite version of MI3).
  • edited June 2009
    KB57 wrote: »
    I've been playing MI2 through Scumm VM for the first time ever, and it makes a helluva difference. I had no idea there was even a Lite version of the game (Though that part's a disappointment, because it leaves out huge chunks of the game, unlike the lite version of MI3).

I know. I played Revenge on Lite mode for the first time a while ago, and they didn't even have the Ashes-2-Life thing. Just a map in a coffin. That whole scene was awesome, even if it did scare the crap out of me when I was young.
  • edited June 2009
    I'm going to play through Secret again when it comes out as a special edition, and I think I'll play through LeChuck's Revenge right after that. But because it has(in my opinion) aged the most gracefully, I've started replaying Curse of Monkey Island. Man, there's a lot of talking in the start of this game.
  • edited June 2009
    I actually want to replay them all but I'm waiting for SoMI: Special Edition.

I've played them all before, but I want to support the franchise and play through the Special Edition which I won't do if I replay my old version of SoMI. Since I intend to re-play all 4 games in order, I'm kinda stuck till it's released. I figure it'd be out and I'd have time to go through them all by the 2nd / 3rd Tales episode.
  • edited June 2009
    Its been at least nearly 2 years since ive played, I just hate playing a game I know I can do within a couple of hours. I leave it for a few years it feels fresh again and makes me want to play because I always forget parts. Do this with things like Bottom live shows etc etc Jut when you know whats going to happen just doesn’t stay funny imo
  • edited June 2009
    I played through Secret a few days ago and recorded the whole thing... of course, it takes FOREVER to upload and the sound quality of my mic is a bit cruddy but if anyone actually wants to watch my playthrough complete with my horrid voice (I sound bored, how terrible is that!??) then er.. yeah
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7M7eGp2F58

I had fun, but man.. I forgot the solutions to some of the puzzles. I totally forgot about the stupid seagull thing for instance.
  • edited June 2009
    I've been replaying MI2 via ScummVM on the Wii (is that frowned upon? hmmmm)
    I've gotta say, there is something to being able to play my favorite game on a 50" tv while reclining on my couch.
    That being said, I have to say that I really love the writing. When I first played MI2 I was 8, and a lot of the jokes were lost on me. I've played it many times since then, but now I'm specifically going through trying to find every line of dialogue in the game, and I still find myself laughing hard. My wife asks why I'm laughing so hard at the ugly kids game I'm playing on the TV.
    She also wonders why I'm playing that instead of the new Indiana Jones game she let me buy. (She also wonders why the new Indiana Jones game I bought looks so old and sounds tinny. I tell her because I actually spent $50 so I could play Fate of Atlantis on the big TV).
  • edited June 2009
    Armand1880 wrote: »
    I've gotta say, there is something to being able to play my favorite game on a 50" tv while reclining on my couch.
    That being said, I have to say that I really love the writing. When I first played MI2 I was 8, and a lot of the jokes were lost on me. I've played it many times since then, but now I'm specifically going through trying to find every line of dialogue in the game, and I still find myself laughing hard. My wife asks why I'm laughing so hard at the ugly kids game I'm playing on the TV.
    She also wonders why I'm playing that instead of the new Indiana Jones game she let me buy. (She also wonders why the new Indiana Jones game I bought looks so old and sounds tinny. I tell her because I actually spent $50 so I could play Fate of Atlantis on the big TV).

Tell your wife to get back to the kitchen! (Not really. I'm sure she's a great wife :p )
  • edited June 2009
    I replayed EMI first after reading so many negative comments about it (I didn't remember it being that bad...), and then went to MI2 with ScummVM. I'll probably do a run-through of CMI as well before the month is out, but I'm definitely holding off on playing SMI until the special edition comes out.
  • edited June 2009
    Armand1880 wrote: »
    I don't know why it wouldn't be. ScummVM isn't pirate software. And neither is Wii homebrew. I do it a lot. My wife and I are currently playing MI2 together on it.
    *drool*

And agreed. It's very relaxing. I have a 32" screen myself. It's a lot better than the 27" tube I used to have, though. My only regret is that I can't play it with proper MT-32 support (the current integrated MT-32 emulator isn't up to par yet).

Sigh. It's annoying when people assume it's a kids game. Luckily my wife understand adventures as I do and doesn't fall under that category :).
  • edited June 2009
    I just played through secret of monkey island, and I'm amazed at how much I hear Dominic Armato's voice in my head, can't wait to hear it for real with the special edition
  • edited June 2009
    You know what scared me? Playing through I remembered playing as a kid with a friend of mine, and you know... Guybrush always had Dom's voice, even before he started voicing him hahaha. Kudos to Mr Armato there.

I also find myself sort of.. torn about the special edition. In one way it'll be cool to have voice acting... but at the same time, I sort of feel like Secret doesn't actually NEED updating. It's stood the test of time remarkably well and those close up shots still look very pretty. It always weirded me out a little that Guybrush and Elaine had purple eyes though... what's up with that? lol.
  • edited June 2009
    Just finished MI3. Loved it! As always.

I found the entire launch-the-skeleton-using-retractable-bed joke extreemly funny, even though it used to scare me as a kid.

I was like "Awwwww" in a sad way when I couldn't figure out how to obtain the little LeChuck doll. And still felt a bit of sadness for poor Wally, leaving him there at the end. I wonder if he'll appear in ToMI.

I wanted to try MI1 again, but I'll wait for the SE. It's a bit weird and nostalgic. When I was a kid, I used to read the text and dialogues from MI1 to my little brother, who couldn't read at that time. Now...it will be... weird and nostalgic. :) And COOL. Definetley, cool.
  • edited June 2009
    It always weirded me out a little that Guybrush and Elaine had purple eyes though... what's up with that? lol.

I was always jealous, I want purple eyes
  • edited June 2009
    I was like "Awwwww" in a sad way when I couldn't figure out how to obtain the little LeChuck doll. And still felt a bit of sadness for poor Wally, leaving him there at the end. I wonder if he'll appear in ToMI.

How to get the Lechuckie doll -
    You get the Lechuckie doll from the smugglers on Skull/Duck/Bunny Island, when you ask them in dialog for one of their stock of toys or toy figures or something.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.