So do you think Telltale are apprehensive

This isn't a hate thread of any kind. I'm not bashing it so please don't merge it for the love of god. I have to wonder with the amount of negative responses its gotten on the threads and some web sites do you think they're aware of the hate?

Comments

• I'm sure they are, but according to several users, this is not new to Telltale. A lot of people were up in arms apparently in a similar fashion when The Walking Dead was first announced, and again when TWAU was announced because people were worried it would delay Season 2. Tales (now this I remember seeing) also got a similar amount of hate and criticism because people didn't think that Telltale could make a game out of it and look how that turned out. So Telltale is completely aware, but perhaps the hate inspires them in a way since so many people don't or didn't think Telltale could make a good Minecraft or Borderlands or Walking Dead game that it makes the writers want to prove them wrong.

• They are probably used to it. Almost every game they've announced has gotten hate in some form and even though this game probably has had the most, they are probably used to just ignoring it and trying to make the game as great as they can.

• Im sure they are aware, I still wish we would be getting something else though :(

• Wolf Among Us S2 is just a pipe dream now imo :(

Poogers555 posted: »

Im sure they are aware, I still wish we would be getting something else though

• So much :(

Wolf Among Us S2 is just a pipe dream now imo

• They are plenty aware of the response, it's why they pay to advertise, but I hope they remain committed, I am quite looking forward to it.

• It's sad but true.

• Probably, but time has passed over the announcement and the instant love or hate for things people don't understand is mostly gone. Now we wait for info. from Telltale as usual and the trust build begins as it has with so many other Telltale projects.

• People love to hate and it gets people talking. All publicity is good publicity.

• edited January 2015

I,don't believe that. Just a couple of days ago they were showing off Wolfs videogame awards on Facebook. It might not be forthcoming right away but I still think it's coming.

• I'd love to think that with all the popularity and GOTY awards/nominations they'll at least be making a DLC but you can't blame me for not having a ton of faith (hue)

KCohere posted: »

I,don't believe that. Just a couple of days ago they were showing off Wolfs videogame awards on Facebook. It might not be forthcoming right away but I still think it's coming.

• This video from the Delightful MattPat from Game Theory pretty much explains why they're okay with all the hate. XD Can you blame them?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWlrJq8yi2w

• but perhaps the hate inspires them in a way since so many people don't or didn't think Telltale could make a good Minecraft or Borderlands or Walking Dead game that it makes the writers want to prove them wrong.

That's pretty much what Inspires me to do my stuff. People every-single-day tell me I'm stupid for doing what I do, and I'm not enough, and they just hate on me, But I just keep doing what I do, and I'm quite succesful for it.

I'm sure they are, but according to several users, this is not new to Telltale. A lot of people were up in arms apparently in a similar fash

• edited May 2015

I dont know if its the same thing, enduring hatred and pushing on as opposed to actively creating controversy to drive sales. Interesting video though.

This video from the Delightful MattPat from Game Theory pretty much explains why they're okay with all the hate. XD Can you blame them? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWlrJq8yi2w

• I'm pretty sure everyone is aware of their own haters.

• Guess you're kind of right there.

KCohere posted: »

I dont know if its the same thing, enduring hatred and pushing on as opposed to actively creating controversy to drive sales. Interesting video though.

• kenjisalkkenjisalk Telltale Alumni

Surely the discussion will be different once there is a trailer out and we get a better idea of what to expect.

Some didn't think they could pull off a Borderlands game, and it ended up being amazing!

• JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited May 2015

This is very true. At least since the announcement of the Universal Games (Back to the Future, Jurassic Park, Law & Order), people have been complaining about the licenses that Telltale have picked every time an announcement is made. About the only exceptions to the rule have been the pilot program games (the Puzzle Agent and Poker Night games). Those games have always have been stated to be small games, so people aren't worried that they'll cut into the development time of other games. The pilot program games also were traditionally released during a lull in releases, so that could be the reason why there weren't a lot of complaints about them.

But, honestly, the complaints of Minecraft are nothing compared to those of King's Quest. Fan complaints are one thing, but actual indie developers were complaining simply because Telltale were the ones who acquired the license. Considering Telltale was a small indie studio themselves back then (they only had around 90 employees at that time), it probably hurt the most that they were being hated on by their peers before their product was even released.

Activision took the King's Quest license back from Telltale before they could release their game since the delay of Jurassic Park messed with their schedule, delaying everything (since licenses often have expiration on non-use clauses, which is how Telltale managed to get the rights to Sam & Max, as the rights at LucasArts expired). Although there was a lot of fan backlash over the fact that Telltale didn't announce the fact that they lost the license until another developer found out about it after going for the license themselves, I'm sure there wasn't a lot of love lost at Telltale over the fact that their version of the game was never made considering the almost universal hate it got before people even saw a single screenshot, or even heard anything about how the game would play. I would have definitely loved to have seen it though.

Fans are still getting an episodic King's Quest from another company later this year, so the whole debacle of creatiing an episodic King's Quest will end up having a bittersweet, but hopefully satisfying, ending soon.

I'm sure they are, but according to several users, this is not new to Telltale. A lot of people were up in arms apparently in a similar fash

• Huh, that's pretty interesting. I'll have to look into this King's Quest game. Thanks for the info, Jennifer!

Jennifer posted: »

This is very true. At least since the announcement of the Universal Games (Back to the Future, Jurassic Park, Law & Order), people have

• dojo32161dojo32161 Moderator

They actually had a forum dedicated to it before it was canceled.

The Kings Quest Forums

Huh, that's pretty interesting. I'll have to look into this King's Quest game. Thanks for the info, Jennifer!

Sign in to comment in this discussion.