What's Your LEAST Favourite MI Island?

Okay, so I did a 'favourite MI Island' thread a couple of days ago. Figured it'd be cool to see which islands we don't like (and maybe why?) Unfortunately we can't do 2-3 votes on polls on this forum, so you're gonna have to pick a worst :)

If you need to refresh your memory, worldofmi do a good islands page ;)

Comments

• edited June 2009
    Monkey Island from MI4. Even if some views were very very beautiful. I just can't erase of my mind all the boulder things, lava-canoe things, monkey kombat things, banana picker things, and I don't really like the way they used the big monkey head statue (I always wondered, was it by aniway inspired by Laozi's statue in Quanzhou ?).
  • vizviz
    edited June 2009
    Dinky, though the best bit was Guybrush phoning the LucasArts hint line! Haha.
  • edited June 2009
    Skull Island, because I remember expecting to explore a whole new area when i arrived and then all I got was that.

I also think some island from MI4 will get most votes, because it feels like people always vote for MI4 in all "the worst" polls. It like doesn't matter what happens, I could create a poll asking for worst graphic of the series and probably MI4 would end up last anyways.
  • edited June 2009
    Jambalaya. It encapsulated everything I hated about MI4. It was too bright and sunny and colorful and there were all these anachronistic shops everywhere and the DULL DULL DULL high diving puzzle, and stan's used disappointments.

It was a toss up between jambalaya and lucre, but at least lucre had the swamp which was pretty cool.
  • edited June 2009
    Come on everyone! Vote Skull! No more small islands! Small islands suck! Boooo for small islands!
  • edited June 2009
    i liked skull. sure it was small, but it felt cool as hell. i think i crapped myself laughing when guybrush said it looked like a duck, and the welshman said "you have to turn your head and squint a little," which i DID and saw a bunny and then guybrush was like "now it just looks like a bunny!" I laughed for like 20 minutes about that one.

And come on, King Andre and Co. they're just AWESOME.
  • edited June 2009
    Duate wrote: »
    i liked skull. sure it was small, but it felt cool as hell. i think i crapped myself laughing when guybrush said it looked like a duck, and the welshman said "you have to turn your head and squint a little," which i DID and saw a bunny and then guybrush was like "now it just looks like a bunny!" I laughed for like 20 minutes about that one.

And come on, King Andre and Co. they're just AWESOME.

Yeah, yeah I agree. Small islands, who needs them? Boo for small islands!
  • edited June 2009
    Jambalaya. It encapsulated everything I hated about MI4. It was too bright and sunny and colorful and there were all these anachronistic shops everywhere and the DULL DULL DULL high diving puzzle, and stan's used disappointments.

Which, I feel, was the whole point with Jambalaya.
  • edited June 2009
    skull island all the way, was barely even an island. Scabb on the other hand, now THATS an island
  • edited June 2009
    It was a toss up between Melee in MI4 or Jumbalaya on MI4. There's just barely anything to do on Melee, and Jumbalaya is just kind of unpleasant to play through. Though I liked the high diving thing. The pirate island off Jumbalaya was such a disappointment, it was like they didn't even try to fill it out. You could do all of like 3 basic things. It should've been crawling with great, unreformed pirates forming their own disfunctional community, kinda like scabb.
  • edited June 2009
    RockNRoll wrote: »
    The pirate island off Jumbalaya was such a disappointment, it was like they didn't even try to fill it out. You could do all of like 3 basic things. It should've been crawling with great, unreformed pirates forming their own disfunctional community, kinda like scabb.
    which is a shame too, since it had such a cool sad feeling to it. but then it turned into pirate school and that was it :|
  • edited June 2009
    I found Phatt Island a bit creepy when I was younger.

Jambalayah Island was ok actually. Nuttin Attoll was a bit small, but I didn't think of it as a separate area. J Island was cool, and some bits such as the raging manatee were pretty funny. It was probably the best Island in MI4.
  • edited June 2009

Agreed, I had my 20 minutes laughing at that too ^^
  • edited June 2009
    Yohmi wrote: »
    Agreed, I had my 20 minutes laughing at that too ^^
    and i never really thought of skull as it's own separate island. it always just felt like another location of blood island, so i was ok with it's shortness. just a little diversion and then you get back to the ring business.
  • edited June 2009
    and i never really thought of skull as it's own separate island. it always just felt like another location of blood island, so i was ok with it's shortness. just a little diversion and then you get back to the ring business.

Well, it's obvious many people are agreeing with me; Skull Island sucks. You don't need to be so extreme though... and please watch your language. It's a small island yes, but it's not like it's the coming of anti-christ or something like that.

Ok, I agree that it was stupid with a giant penguin on a very small island, but it's not like realism is a huge part of the MI series anyways- so I think you could lay off that for a while and just focus on the good parts, like the ride back.
  • edited June 2009

watch my language?

lay off for a while and focus on the good parts? i LIKED skull island

did you quote the wrong person?
  • edited June 2009
    Lucre for me. It seemed to have the worst puzzles.
  • edited June 2009
    Well, it's obvious many people are agreeing with me; Skull Island sucks. You don't need to be so extreme though... and please watch your language. It's a small island yes, but it's not like it's the coming of anti-christ or something like that.

Ok, I agree that it was stupid with a giant penguin on a very small island, but it's not like realism is a huge part of the MI series anyways- so I think you could lay off that for a while and just focus on the good parts, like the ride back.

onlyamonkey calm down! :|

I think Skull island played a good role in the CMI story for me. There wasn't much to do on it, but the winch-operator was quite a good gag, and the smugglers were great. The whole scene was great for me, and the actual smugglers cave looked great. I can see why people would be disappointed with the size, though and possibly if they had more time/money, they could have added in a small hamlet full of backstabbers, lies and cheats. That would have been quite fun.

I was always quite disappointed with Monkey Island in MI4. The entire geography changed just to fit around the lava-log-ride. The first church of LeChuck had atmosphere and Allegro Rasputin was a good character, but the flume-ride and the pink-gag just went OTT for me. The Monkey Kombat was utterly boring (though I can see why they'd think it a good idea in theory). Unlike others, I wasn't that bothered by the Monkey Head though. I think with the huge caverns beneath it, there is always space for a robotic monkey to be down there. A little bit weird, but not terrible. Okay, maybe terrible, but the Monkey Head can still be there with an elaborate reason as to why the Monkey Robot can't work anymore. Ever again. Period.

That said, Jambalya came close for me. But I quite liked the humour they employed there. It just seemed a tad thin on the ground and, as others have mentioned, Knuttin Atol could have been brilliant if it was developed a little more.

I find it quite interesting that (apart from the obvious correlation with MI4), most of the islands people didn't like were just filler-material, or simply there as one-trick ponies.

Interesting *strokes goatee*
  • edited June 2009
    i think you should not get onlyamonkey serious

skull island is perfect rendition, with minimalistic motives. characters and whole smugglers cave scene is great and mysterious. it would be cool to see island again in new games
  • edited June 2009
    I voted for the MI4 Mêlée Island, because compared to the one from MI1, it felt a bit empty... a lot of running around without all that much to do. As for Skull Island, I thought it was terrific. Okay, it was small, but it had atmosphere.
  • edited June 2009
    Shutter Island.
  • edited June 2009
    Shutter Island.

lol
    The island looks sucky, but the story seems okay.
  • edited June 2009
    I'm actaully looking forward to the film... Saw the trailer this morning before I know what it was!
  • edited June 2009
    Knuttin atoll. The whole part of the game got a bit boring for me, what with it being right next to Jambalaya. It might have been better if it hadn't been for that.
  • edited June 2009
    more then 60% voted for one of Monkey 4 island

i think actually Lucre is not bad at all, and with some great characters, like stick maker for example.

as for Jambalaya, i agree for most said. i like the view from hill where Stan is, with a interesting premise of pirate island next to it, and puppeteer is not a bad character if i remember corectly
  • edited June 2009
    Somebody voted for MI1 Melee Island!!!!
  • edited June 2009
    Monkey Island in EMI!

But I think Jambalaya and the Knuttin Atoll were bad to!

@Haggis
    Dito! Melee was very small but I like the atmosphere. For example I like the port of Melee.
  • edited June 2009
    RockNRoll wrote: »
    Somebody voted for MI1 Melee Island!!!!

must've been an accident.

I didn't like Jambalaya that much. All islands set during the night are so damn atmospheric.
  • edited June 2009
    AndyBundy wrote: »
    I didn't like Jambalaya that much. All islands set during the night are so damn atmospheric.
    LucasArts and atmosphere. :cool: Best!
    Oh, I think i made a mistake. I´m off. :D
  • edited June 2009
    I kinda tolerated Jambalaya, but it's MI4 monkey island that I just want to get done with ASAP... Most of the puzzles on the island are just... Err, not very nice.
  • edited June 2009
    Jambalaya - not a fan. The whole "Planet Threepwood" thing would have been fun if it was played as disturbing/creepy, but it was just played as ridiculous. Knuttin Atoll, on the other hand, I liked a lot. Fickle!
  • edited June 2009
    playclever wrote: »
    Jambalaya - not a fan. The whole "Planet Threepwood" thing would have been fun if it was played as disturbing/creepy, but it was just played as ridiculous. Knuttin Atoll, on the other hand, I liked a lot. Fickle!

I LOVED Knuttin Atoll. The only place in EMI with real pirates. Great atmosphere.

Jambalaya on the other hand... Jambalaya was a concentrate of everything I disliked about EMI.
  • edited June 2009
    I think it'd be quite nice to re-visit Jambalya, if it has become less of a resort. With Jambalya and Knuttin Atol home to bloodthirsty pirates. With Knuttin Atol a real hell with the most fearsome pirates :p
  • edited June 2009
    I didn't like Lucre. That whole thing with Pete and the swamp was kinda lame.

I think my most favorite was Blood Island. It had a great dark atmosphere, a dark history, the Skull Island side trip, and it was fun.
  • edited June 2009
    Gryffalio wrote: »
    I think it'd be quite nice to re-visit Jambalya, if it has become less of a resort. With Jambalya and Knuttin Atol home to bloodthirsty pirates. With Knuttin Atol a real hell with the most fearsome pirates :p

Oh, man... can't you just see it? Jambalaya by night, totally trashed, the Planet Threepwood a fire-gutted shell....
  • edited June 2009
    KB57 wrote: »
    Oh, man... can't you just see it? Jambalaya by night, totally trashed, the Planet Threepwood a fire-gutted shell....

I didn't mind the gag too much, though ofc I wasn't keen on the entire island being a joke. It would be quite funny if someone like Bill Tiller did a poster of Planet Threepwood aflame, with crazy pirates looting an' pillaging! :p
Sign in to comment in this discussion.