The monkeys are listening...

edited August 2006 in General Chat
Psst...the monkeys are listening...the zombie pirate LeChuck, master of one undead (Murray), awaits in the shadows. The Voodoo Lady wishes to exorcise... She insists that the terms and conditions in her contract have not been met in an orderly and timely fashion. All said characters are requesting their terms be met or their contracts hereby nullified.

Comments

• edited August 2006
    Yes, we all want another Monkey Island game. :(|)
  • SquinkySquinky Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2006
    ...are you serious?
  • edited August 2006
    Yes, we all want another Monkey Island game. :(|)
    LOL! I didn't know there was a monkey smiley! Yes I seriously want another Monkey Island game too. So do countless others over at World of Monkey Island.

What is everyones favorite? I really liked the artwork and design of CMI. The fourth game, EMI, was very frustrating to play without a mouse, and the storyline fell short.
  • edited August 2006
    I'd be too cautious about a fifth Monkey Island game - It's a classic of the nineties, and ended leaving you wanting more (which I always think is the best way to bow out)... How about a sequel to Grim Fandango?

[edit]
    Btw. Whats the deal with the TellTale Explorer?
    quick.mixnmojo.com/telltale-explorer
    [/edit]
  • edited August 2006
    What is everyones favorite? I really liked the artwork and design of CMI. The fourth game, EMI, was very frustrating to play without a mouse, and the storyline fell short.
    Yeah, I really liked CMI as well. The art in that game was just fabulous. Needless to say, I'm very much looking forward to Bill Tiller's new game.

And a Grim Fandango sequel would be great as well, but only if Tim Schafer heads the project.
  • edited August 2006
    And a Grim Fandango sequel would be great as well, but only if Tim Schafer heads the project.

Definitely Haggis-man - A Ron Gilbert and Tim Schafer team up would rock!
  • edited August 2006
    The fourth game, EMI, was very frustrating to play without a mouse, and the storyline fell short.

After playing Grim Fandango, I immediately jumped to the wasd keys for EMI - I don’t remember using the mouse at all (though I haven’t played it since it's initial release, so I may be completely wrong :) )

I do remember thinking that it felt like the game was developed with a console port in mind, limiting some aspects of game design, dumbing down (for non-adventure playing console users) the puzzles, rather than concentrating on making it the best game they could (wasn’t that about the time LucasArts dropped pretty much everything but Star Wars titles and shifted focus to console development? (& generally turned a bit naff))

Still a lot of fun though - Definitely loved the crashed X-Wing in the swamp.
  • edited August 2006
    I actually liked EMI... Laughed many times :) But Monkey 2 will always be the best monkey game IMO... probably the best adventure game to (maybe because it was the first adventure game I played:D)
  • edited August 2006
    The thread hijacker says:
    I think of Indiana Jones & the Fate of Atlantis as the greatest adventure game of all time.
    It has a real plot, real characters, very exciting locations, multiple story paths. It is awesome, no way around it.
  • edited August 2006
    While I would dearly love to see the Monkey Island series taken out for a spin just one last time (obviously Ron Gilbert would have to be at the helm), Grim Fandango really, REALLY should never get a sequel. The game was perfect. I loved it and have replayed it at least 10 times. But it very definitely finished. Besides, just about everyone in the game was either sprouted or dissappeared at the end. Maybe a spin off with Glottis could be an interesting idea but otherwise, good god no.

I really loved CMI. But EMI was astoundingly mediocre. The best ones were prolly 1 & 2 because CMI was a little more... I don't know... Kiddy? It felt sort of like the usual Monkey Island experience had been briefly run through Disney. Don't get me wrong, it was still excellent but maybe not really part of the same story as the first games. Like a spin off I guess. If there was a final game it would have to be more in the style of the first two games. Of course that will never happen anyway because Lucasarts does not want to give anyone the licenses to MI and they sure as hell aren't going to make another one.
  • edited August 2006
    I really loved CMI. But EMI was astoundingly mediocre..

See, thats why I reckon they shouldnt make another MI game - It was a top notch fanshise - But a new one is never going to match up to either the original titles or the nostagia.
    Grim Fandango really, REALLY should never get a sequel. The game was perfect. I loved it and have replayed it at least 10 times. But it very definitely finished. Besides, just about everyone in the game was either sprouted or dissappeared at the end. Maybe a spin off with Glottis could be an interesting idea but otherwise, good god no.

I still think it could work :p - It's a video game after all; & like Sci-Fi programmes or cartoons; there’s nothing you can't do (bring the people back to the dead, kick them off trains, re-define reality) - For my money the character Manny and the whole noir feel definitely still has legs :)

Especially when you look at the source - Phillip Marlow books are all stand alone stories with occasional returning characters - There's no need to have the whole cast return (it's not Monkey Island after all), just maybe a few Cameos - Equally there’s definitely a lot of unanswered questions from the first game still left unanswered. B-)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.