Questions for Mike Stemmle? Post 'em here!

Comments

• edited June 2009
    Novotnus wrote: »
    I belive they don't have to - LeChuck broke free from the power of Ultimate Insult at the end of EMI - he attacked Ozzie and destroyed the talisman. I don't think that would be possible while he was still ego-less.

Nah, he wasn't consciously attacking Ozzie - if you tie in Monkey Kombat, one of the actions the opposing monkey does is slap his head with both hands. By tying with LeChuck a few times, you've tricked him into doing this action and destroying the Ultimate Insult jammed on his head.

How did LeChuck get out of it? Either destroying the Ultimate Insult releases its power (doubtful, as that puppet show pirate was still much the same) or it only affected LeChuck's 'Stone Pirate' or 'Demon Pirate' form. This is why he looks like Zombie Pirate again.

I think. :rolleyes: Mike?
  • edited June 2009
    Nah, he wasn't consciously attacking Ozzie - if you tie in Monkey Kombat, one of the actions the opposing monkey does is slap his head with both hands. By tying with LeChuck a few times, you've tricked him into doing this action and destroying the Ultimate Insult jammed on his head.

How did LeChuck get out of it? Either destroying the Ultimate Insult releases its power (doubtful, as that puppet show pirate was still much the same) or it only affected LeChuck's 'Stone Pirate' or 'Demon Pirate' form. This is why he looks like Zombie Pirate again.

I think. :rolleyes: Mike?

Ah right, I remember the monkey's doing that. I guess that makes sense... sort of. Not the best puzzle.

The wiki entry on LeChuck has got this wrong too. Good to know I wasn't the only one left a little confused by the ending.

How about we just say that LeChucks ego is so large it could never be destroyed completely, and 'regrew' it over time. That'd be good enough for me.
  • edited June 2009
    Here goes my two cents:

When Guybrush ask Herman how to reverse the effects of the UI, he said something about knowing the language of the monkeys (thats what the ultimate insult was all about, monkey insults). While in Monkey Kombat the technic of copying the rivals move wont do anything significant (neither the insults), on a bigger scale it would reverse the effects of the UI.
    Just look at LeChuck the first two times you do that. He looks confused, and the last time its like he has been shut down (thats how Elaine escapes his hand)
  • edited June 2009
    I never played Monkey Island 4.

Will playing it make me enjoy the new Monkey Island episodes more?
  • edited June 2009

Just take a look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Bw5g-Mqax8
    LeChuck looks like he's attacking Ozzie with intention to kill him (see this last punch). Anyways, seems like Ozzie is commanding LeChuck while he's under Ultimate Insult influence (I guess so, as Ozzie is a master of insult fighting and LeChuck's unbeatable durign that fight) and that's something Ozzie wouldn't command him to do...
  • edited June 2009
    Novotnus wrote: »
    Just take a look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Bw5g-Mqax8
    LeChuck looks like he's attacking Ozzie with intention to kill him (see this last punch). Anyways, seems like Ozzie is commanding LeChuck while he's under Ultimate Insult influence (I guess so, as Ozzie is a master of insult fighting and LeChuck's unbeatable durign that fight) and that's something Ozzie wouldn't command him to do...

I never noticed before, but does this remind anybody else of the ending to Wonderbird? (a 1953 animated film)
  • edited June 2009
    dpmedeiros wrote: »
    I never played Monkey Island 4.

Will playing it make me enjoy the new Monkey Island episodes more?
    Probably but I'd suspect you will also enjoy it as a game in it's own right.
  • edited June 2009
    I think what 'The Tingler' says makes sense. While not very obvious or logical the puzzle relies on LeChuck having identical/similar reaction animations to the monkey's who at some point do hit themselves over the head during Monkey Kombat. I don't recall exactly if that animation plays only after drawing or after 3 draws, but if it does then I think that pretty much confirms that is the logic behind the puzzle for defeating Ozzie.

I know it looks a bit like he is attacking Ozzie but I think that was just played up for dramatic purposes. Notice LeChuck's expression remains unchanged and he does not say anything that would make it clear that he has regained control like "take this Ozzie." I'm convinced he is just hitting himself on the head like the Monkeys do.

If you have a better theory that explains how exactly 3 draws in Monkey Kombat allows LeChuck to regain control I'd like to hear it.

If only there was someone on this thread who could settle this dispute once and for all...
  • edited June 2009
    While the insults in Monkey Kombat made you lose energy/bananas, the draws made you and your opponent regain energy/bananas. (?)
    Since the ultimate insult and monkey insults are pretty much the same (just in a different scale) you can replace "energy/bananas" with moral energy? maybe? (??) Yeah its weird but you asked for it.
    That way, by making 3 draws you made Lechuck s moral energy to be full again (???)...uhh...yeah...whatever.

Anyway, just look at LeChuck, for me its pretty clear he was back to normal at the end.
  • edited June 2009
    nadir wrote: »
    I think what 'The Tingler' says makes sense. While not very obvious or logical the puzzle relies on LeChuck having identical/similar reaction animations to the monkey's who at some point do hit themselves over the head during Monkey Kombat. I don't recall exactly if that animation plays only after drawing or after 3 draws, but if it does then I think that pretty much confirms that is the logic behind the puzzle for defeating Ozzie.

I know it looks a bit like he is attacking Ozzie but I think that was just played up for dramatic purposes. Notice LeChuck's expression remains unchanged and he does not say anything that would make it clear that he has regained control like "take this Ozzie." I'm convinced he is just hitting himself on the head like the Monkeys do.

If you have a better theory that explains how exactly 3 draws in Monkey Kombat allows LeChuck to regain control I'd like to hear it.

If only there was someone on this thread who could settle this dispute once and for all...

This does seem to be the only theory that makes sense. I always just assumed there was no logic to that puzzle (and that's the reason I hated it so much) but this seems to be a somewhat plausible explanation.
  • edited June 2009
    I actually still don't get it why you can beat Jojo Jr. only if you loose bananas up to the point where, if you score, he looses all his bananas too. It's weird! Is it like a... karate kid thing? A "wise old man" theory? A "You can only win if you learn how to lose" stuff? Oh well...
  • edited June 2009
    I actually still don't get it why you can beat Jojo Jr. only if you loose bananas up to the point where, if you score, he looses all his bananas too. It's weird! Is it like a... karate kid thing? A "wise old man" theory? A "You can only win if you learn how to lose" stuff? Oh well...

Um, I don't understand. Granted it's been a while since I last played EFMI, but I thought you just keep attacking him until he makes the mistake of going for a tie instead.
    This does seem to be the only theory that makes sense. I always just assumed there was no logic to that puzzle (and that's the reason I hated it so much) but this seems to be a somewhat plausible explanation.

The monkey, in addition to beating his head, will also droop his hands down to the ground first - which LeChuck also does, allowing Elaine to escape.

I always thought this was obvious, but the final cutscene admittedly doesn't make it clear - and you don't really have to work it out to do it. Winning's not working, nor is losing - going for a draw's the only thing left.

Still, all the Monkey Island games, save MI2, have easy finales. At least this one's epic! I just wish it had been a Giant Stone Monkey, with the same head. I wouldn't have had a problem with that.
  • edited June 2009
    Um, I don't understand. Granted it's been a while since I last played EFMI, but I thought you just keep attacking him until he makes the mistake of going for a tie instead.

I don't really remember much, but I do know that this was not the way I beat him. Hmmm... Let me get back to you on that. I'll check out some gameplay footage.
  • edited June 2009
    I always thought this was obvious, but the final cutscene admittedly doesn't make it clear - and you don't really have to work it out to do it.

I think it's a little hard to figure out. I mean why should a giant stone egoless LeChuck act exactly like a monkey? I don't recall any dialogue that would have possibly have pointed me along that line of thinking, or anything that highlighted the importance of the monkey reaction animations. I think I did notice the finger waging was the same but I just thought they were reusing animations because of budget or time restrictions.

That's got to be the second most confusing Monkey Island ending I've ever seen.

But, yes it was at least epic. I know I have been doing a lot of complaining about EMI but I still really like the game. There's a lot of things it did right. It just has a few issues is all.
  • edited June 2009
    nadir wrote:

Well, LeChuck is a powerful beeing and if his desire to marry Elaine saved him from death several times, it is possible, that he broke from Ozzie spell when his bride escaped (and her escape was caused by Monkey Kombat move - that's right). Just a theory - that's how i thougt it happened. Would be nice to get some details from Mike : )
    And one more detail - if I recall correctly, every "draw" animation was a single move (droping hands down, finger waging or hitting head - always one while you draw)
  • edited June 2009
    I think it's a little hard to figure out. I mean why should a giant stone egoless LeChuck act exactly like a monkey? I don't recall any dialogue that would have possibly have pointed me along that line of thinking, or anything that highlighted the importance of the monkey reaction animations. I think I did notice the finger waging was the same but I just thought they were reusing animations because of budget or time restrictions.

That's got to be the second most confusing Monkey Island ending I've ever seen.

But, yes it was at least epic. I know I have been doing a lot of complaining about EMI but I still really like the game. There's a lot of things it did right. It just has a few issues is all.

Well, if humans didn't have egos wouldn't we all act like apes, the previous evolutionary ancestor? :P Might be a bit of a stretch, but it makes sense to me.
  • edited June 2009
    Didn't work on Pegnose this way - he started to act like a scared child or a paranoic, but not an ape.
  • edited June 2009
    I don't know that I care much how epic the ending was. It was still my least favorite ending of the four games. Solving the last couple puzzles didn't make me feel like I accomplished anything...turning off the tower was too obvious, and I sorta stumbled on how to beat Ozzie/LeChuck without really understanding why I needed to do those things.

The best MI ending was MI2. It becomes obvious what the puzzle is to beat the game, and it relies on knowledge you've gained by playing the game, but it still takes awhile to figure out how to put all the pieces together. That was a great final puzzle.
  • ttg_Stemmlettg_Stemmle Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2009
    Hey guys, sorry I've been away so long, but we've been bolting down the press build for Chapter 1, which is looking to be about 98.3% of the actual Chapter 1 gameplay experience (plus-or-minus a few bug and music tweaks).

While I'm here, I'll clear up a little confusion about the end of EFMI: LeChuck and Ozzie are indeed defeated because Guybrush goes for the tie in Monkey Kombat, causing the giant LeChuck statue to slap his head with his hands, just like all the monkeys do when there's a tie. Nasty puzzle, without as much foreshadowing as I would throw into it if I were writing it today.

As to how LeChuck survived getting blowed up real good for the umpteenth time, well, there's a story behind that...

Mike
    edited July 2009
    Hey Mike!
    I know that the fourth episode is called "The Trial and Execution of Guybrush Threepwood", so would that have anything to do with the goodsoups and/or blood island? Also, if you were able to fix any plot holes that were in EMI with TMI, what would you fix? I guess for me i would probably fix the herman story, but thats just my opinion :D

No Goodsoups currently planned in Ep 4, just a good old fashioned pirate-y trial and execution for Guybrushs's various crimes.

As for plot holes, my preferred modus operandi is navigate around them rather than fill them. These stories are short enough as it is without wasting a heckuvalotta time on continuity smoothing. That said, if I can retcon a really bad idea (particularly one of mine) away with a single line of funny dialog, I'll jump at the chance.

Note the complete lack of an actual answer there,
    Mike
  • edited July 2009
    Hey guys, sorry I've been away so long, but we've been bolting down the press build for Chapter 1

Is it worrying that the thought of the press playing Episode 1 before me makes me feel physically sick?

:D
  • edited July 2009
    Is it worrying that the thought of the press playing Episode 1 before me makes me feel physically sick?

Don't worry, it's probably just swine flu.
  • edited July 2009
    No Goodsoups currently planned in Ep 4, just a good old fashioned pirate-y trial and execution for Guybrushs's various crimes.

As for plot holes, my preferred modus operandi is navigate around them rather than fill them. These stories are short enough as it is without wasting a heckuvalotta time on continuity smoothing. That said, if I can retcon a really bad idea (particularly one of mine) away with a single line of funny dialog, I'll jump at the chance.

Mike

actually, that answered my question perfectly, thanks!
  • edited July 2009

Well,if I remember correctly, Father Elegro Resputin tells Guybrush that to reverse a voodoo curse, you need a bigger voodoo curse, and that's what the whole ending battle was about. The draw caused Lechuck to destroy the ultimate insult, because maybe also to reverse the effects of the ultimate insult, you need to destroy it during monkey kombat, im not sure, but that's what i thought anyway.
  • edited July 2009

Mike

haha, I can already imagine Guybrush trying to find an escape while someone is reading out the never ending list of stolen items and other crimes Guybrush has comitted.

I agree with your MO. Focusing on the characters and jokes, making Tales the best game it can be rather than getting tied up in the back story is probably the best way forward.
  • edited July 2009
    Hey Mike! First, I just want to say thank you so much for all your hard work on this project. Making alot of people happy. My question has to do with the character of LeChuck. Will his role be that of the classic cold and main villain or is there gonna to be another main villain?
  • edited July 2009

I wasn't going to mention it, but the thought of me making Toothless Gibbon physically sick gives me a warm feeling... although it could just be the sick on my feet.

Ok, next question for Mike, I can't remember if this has been asked yet - Will you be Project Lead for all the episodes, or will it mix (n' mojo) up like other Telltale games?
  • edited July 2009
    Soooo mr Stemmle... or can I say Mike? I'll just say Mike.

Allright Captain Loogie, in the gameplay movie, Elaine says that they will die... again
    Is she referring to:
    1) the fact that they already had a big adventure in which all sorts of crazy stuff happened we'll never find out?
    2) the beginning of EFMI, where they are declared dead
    c) the many times they were in great danger
  • edited July 2009
    I thought it was 1), but now you've reminded me of 2), it could well be!
    edited July 2009
    Junaid wrote: »
    Soooo mr Stemmle... or can I say Mike? I'll just say Mike.

Allright Captain Loogie, in the gameplay movie, Elaine says that they will die... again
    Is she referring to:
    1) the fact that they already had a big adventure in which all sorts of crazy stuff happened we'll never find out?
    2) the beginning of EFMI, where they are declared dead
    c) the many times they were in great danger

For people who've never played a Monkey Island game, it's 1)

For people who've played EFMI, it's 1) and 2)

Crushing bugs like Linda Blair at the end of Exorcist II,
    Mike
  • edited July 2009
    Hehe okay, thanks for the answer

I hope to see more of these references to the never-seen adventures of Guybrush and Elaine. In fact, I hope we never find out LeChuck's plan with the monkeys (finding out their secret??), much more funnier that way :)
    edited July 2009

If it makes you feel better, the version the press got had a few unamusing bugs that you, the adoring public, will never get the pleasure of enduring.

Of course, the fact that the press saw those bugs makes ME physically sick :)

Mike
  • edited July 2009

I don't think games reviewers have any credibility left after Empire: Total War.
  • edited July 2009
    Hi Mike,

Once an episode is released how long after will details emerge about the next episode would it be at least a week or two after?

Is there also a possibility of those who've pre-ordered to have early access to the episodes just like what happened with Sam & Max when a couple of episodes were sent out a day or two early to all pre-order subscribers?
  • edited July 2009
    If it makes you feel better, the version the press got had a few unamusing bugs that you, the adoring public, will never get the pleasure of enduring.

Mike

Hi Mike,

As long as they are well informed that these bugs will be squashed it shouldn't be too bad... Hopefully.

Here are my questions:
    1. Who are your heroes, both in and outside of the games industry.

2. I realise this is a very important franchise with a lot of fans to please. For many this will be their first episodic adventure game, so it's got to make a good impression. I was wondering if a longer production cylce or a larger team has been allocated for TMI than previous telltale games, in order to help meet fan expectations.

3. Will forum goers get more opportunities to suggest book tiltes and the like for later episodes. I am concerned I may have put in my suggestions a little late.

4. You mentioned you like Zelda before. Which is your favourite Zelda game? I think Mines probably Majora's Mask, but it's a close call though.

Thanks for taking the time to talk to us on this thread, and good luck getting everything finished for Tuesday :D
  • edited July 2009
    heyz, if I repeat others, sorry. I didn't read the eight pages of Q&A...

1) Can I have an E3 button?
    2) Can I have a E3 button?
    3) The most important one of all: Are us preorderers going to get to help with stuff like book titles and the like? (yeah, I think I just repeated someone...)
    4) Can I have an E3 button? (boy, that gets annoying to type)
  • edited July 2009
    Hi Mike.

Thanks for taking the time to reply in this forum.

My questions with regards to game design is:

1. Do you ever worry that the episodes won't retain the feel of the full length games that came before? Is this even an issue or is it good to be different?
    2. Do the constant deadlines help or hinder?
    3. Is the overall story planned well in advance, or do major changes take place even towards the final episodes?
    4. Would the games have been made if Dominic wasn't available? Or would that have been a major deterrant?

Thanks!
  • edited July 2009
    I wonder how do they manage with all this pressure?
  • edited July 2009
    Having recently played CMI with its 3d acceleration button, wouldn´t it be nice to get a 2d acceleration button in TMI?
  • edited July 2009
    Originally Posted by prizna View Post
    I know there is no real need to tidy up the few "problems" like Herman Toothrot is H.T. Marley and the whole who pushed H.T. Marley into the whirlpool thing but if they chose to clean it up it could be done in a joking way, like it being explained and then Guybrush responding really sarcasticaly that it makes a lot of sense.

Yes, that would be good :D

HT: "Sorry saying that I was your grandfather Elaine, was a sideffect of my
    amnesia, in fact I am your mother Luke... Guybrush "

HT:"What did I just say, I cannot remember anything"
Sign in to comment in this discussion.