Wallace & Gromit in Muzzled! review

edited October 2009 in Wallace & Gromit
Posted my review of Muzzled - you can check it here.

It's the best episode of W&G so far.

Comments

• JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    Glad you liked it! There's some awesome stuff in this episode.
  • seanvanamanseanvanaman Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    Thanks for the kind words! Glad you enjoyed it.
  • edited June 2009
    Jonah wrote: »
    Posted my review of Muzzled - you can check it here.

It's the best episode of W&G so far.

Hey, that's sooooo not fair! :) It's 10AM here, and it's gonna be a busy day, I won't have a chance at the game until late evening! I can hardly wait, though. :cool:
  • edited June 2009
    Quite a bit of hype with this one, eh? Looking forward to play it :D
  • edited June 2009
    It really is the best episode so far. The voice acting alone on Monty is the best you've had yet and the end setup is brilliant! I also felt extremely sorry for twitch all the way through. Good work guys :D
  • edited June 2009
    I personally loved the "cliffhanger" with Felicity Flitt. Wallace's expressions are priceless.
  • edited June 2009
    I'm still not so fond of W&G as i am of Sam&Max but i also enjoyed it.
    Personally i found The Last Resort better due to solving the crime case and the holiday setting in the basement, this was a great scene (dunno how often i had to let my daughter watch that roller coaster in the background rolling by alone "One more time pleasee!"). Listening to the waves, very cool and relaxed in there.

Anyway what i really liked was the music, especially the one which is played when you're watching the retrospectives and of course the mysterious voice at the fortune cookies stand. I felt kind of stupid having to cheat to beat a chicken in TicTacToe. :O) You know if you start, there is a way to win if the other player doesn't choose his first field wisely.

The fair scene was nicely done and it was clear from the start that this is a balloon and it also hides something inside. Nice setting but i was kind of dissapointed that Wallace couldn't take a ride. Would have been cool but i guess you had to do some more work on the environment then. It also felt good beeing more in an open environment for a change.

As for the steering, with the controller you could easily walk around the carrousel but dunno this honestly also can be done nicely with a mouse point&click. I got remembered of a jungle scene in Jack Keane where you also had to walk around some trees this way. I'm still not d'accord with the selection mode.

Some enjoyful riddles, almost everything involving the dogs but also some which weren't this good. Again it was too easy and there was no showstopper for me this time.

Muzzle was a very good character because i found him interesting, funny appearance, nice stories to tell and well written lines!

One thing i noticed is that from time to time the german translation was a bit unbalanced. Sometimes the wording was slightly dusty whilst then there were some more groovy phrases in between. All in all it was good but i was left with the impression that a character's personality could be better reflected.

For the first time i encountered some glitches, like for instance that the final map was drawn as an overlay whilst running the cutscene where Gromit enters the carrousel below.

Btw one thing i find weird are the gfx settings because i have no idea what i'm turning on and off. I can understand if you want to spare the gamer all the technical stuff but i'm missing a way to see what the differences are in an easy way.

All in all i would give it a 7-8.

Glad that i found enough time to play it through so soon after the release! *piuhh* ;O)
  • edited June 2009
    You can see what it does in the background. Basically, the textures are reduced in quality.
  • [TTG] Yare[TTG] Yare Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    Jonah wrote: »
    You can see what it does in the background. Basically, the textures are reduced in quality.

Took a quick glance at the engine code. Here's what the different quality levels represent right now. They might change in the future:

1-3: Pixel Shader 1.0
    4-6: Pixel Shader 2.0
    7-9: Pixel Shader 3.0 - Full screen effects.
  • edited June 2009
    I have to be honest I was a bit disappointed with this episode. I'm not one to normally complain about the length of Telltale's games, but this definitely seemed to have very few puzzles compared to the excellent Last Resort especially.

I was also surprised to find the overall quality of the episode seemed lacking, in terms of glitches (the map glitch, numerous graphical glitches) I also thought Monty's voice sounded out of place when in conversation with Wallace, it sounded as if it needed "softening".

So not a bad episode by any means, but it seemed to me to lack that Telltale polish that I have come to expect.

The writing however was still top notch, so I hope this is a lapse (blame it on E3) and the season finale will be a return to form.
  • edited June 2009
    Hmm but a shader version doesn't actually say something about what's implemented and what's not and what about the AA level and filtering settings? Are those settings stringed to the quality level as well?
  • [TTG] Yare[TTG] Yare Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    taumel wrote: »
    Hmm but a shader version doesn't actually say something about what's implemented and what's not and what about the AA level and filtering settings? Are those settings stringed to the quality level as well?

I believe the quality level scales several things -texture quality, shader version, lighting quality, AA quality.
  • edited June 2009
    [TTG] Yare wrote: »
    I believe the quality level scales several things -texture quality, shader version, lighting quality, AA quality.

Okay, ahh well, i guess the Wallace part in me just wants to know what's going on and tinker around. :O)
  • edited July 2009
    I also had the map over drawn a cut scene towards the end. The most notable glitch was when grommet was talking to muzzle at the pie stand his front two legs were crossed in front of him in an impossible way, while he was supposed to be on all fours.
    Also I felt the ending cut scene was a bit disjointed. Like it had been rushed because all the staff were off working on another game. I would also agree it was far to short. It felt like a watching an hour long film that had had to be cut down to 25 minutes.
    (but hey i got every other telltale game half price for buying this so i can't complain too much)
  • edited October 2009
    I liked this episode the most of the four episodes because to me, it seemed the most like a real Wallace and Gromit game. While I like all the new characters added in the series, they made the episodes feel less like the original Wallace and Gromit and more like just a spin-off. This episode seemed to depend less on these characters and more on the duo themselves. Also,
    The free-falling finale was just perfect.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.