Microphone Support!

edited June 2009 in Tales of Monkey Island
I have an idea!

AN IDEA THAT SHOULD BE FULFILLED!

Insult Swordfighting isn't in Episode 1 (confirmed by Dom in Private forum) but it will probably be added to the other episodes at some point.

I think for PC, you should be able to use microphones to yell your insults instead of clicking on them. Insult Swordfighting is a pretty basic formula, but this could make it more enjoyable.

Just an idea.

Comments

• edited June 2009
    Objection!
  • edited June 2009
    You want them to implement voice recognition so you can make up your own insults or just read out whats on screen?

Seems a lot of work for little benefit IMO.
  • edited June 2009
    Agreed, unless there's some middleware that would take care of this easily. If there is insult swordfighting I'd rather not have Guybrush go around having to gather insults again, just use insults that his existing retorts would still work with.
  • edited June 2009
    Yeah and they'll use the voice recognition of Windows Vista

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YozgvRvjCtI

woohooo!
  • edited June 2009
    This is a terrible idea.
  • edited June 2009
    I'd like to do it...
  • edited June 2009
    Ye fighte lek a coo!
  • jtcjtc
    edited June 2009
    No. Just no.
  • edited June 2009
    I have no interest of yelling the insults myself, my neighbors would probably think that I'm mad if I started shouting things like "You fight like a dairy farmer!" at 4 AM.

Luckily my walls are thick, so the risk is minimal, but I don't want to take any chances. :D
  • edited June 2009
    How would the game know that your insult is a good response to the one on screen?

It might be able to tell if it rhymes but you could say anything that rhymes and win each time.
  • edited June 2009
    nah... if they offered it I would turn it off any way.
  • edited June 2009
    Why would we need a thing like that? I'd hate it
  • edited June 2009
    Player speaks to teh microphone: "how appropriate..you fight like a cow"
    *voice being interpreted*
    Guybrush: "Im shakin im shakin"

guybrush looses

Player undergoes nerd rage
  • edited June 2009
    I want to hear Dominic Armato saying those lines, not myself! ...it would be...weird. If I need to go insult swordfighting, I come here to this forum and have a go at the thread used for this. ...We could have a chat-thingie made up, if we really want to. Actually going one-on-one with our own insults, and a refferee. Ah, nevermind.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    Insult Swordfighting isn't in Episode 1 (confirmed by Dom in Private forum) but it will probably be added to the other episodes at some point.

Sometimes history has a way of rewriting itself on the forums, so I just wanted to pop in and to point out that Telltale hasn't confirmed (or even suggested) that Insult Swordfighting will appear in later episodes.

I'm another one who gets embarrassed using my DS microphone - usually because I'm on an airplane or in the doctor's waiting room or something, but even in my own house, it feels weird. Then again, I'd also much rather press buttons when I'm on the phone with an automated system than say "yes", "no," etc.
  • edited June 2009
    I can already see the threads from a few users complaining that the voice recognition doesn't support their native language and that it's an outrage that this vital feature in the Monkey Island Universe cannot be enjoyed by all! Tangientially, I think it's an outrage that there's no Amiga version of Tales of Monkey Island. For shame!

RE: Insult Swordfighting: (TMI episode 1 spoilers)
    Mike Stemmle mentioned during an E3 demo of the game that various characters in the first episode try to start a bout of insult swordfighting, but that it doesn't entirely pan out as intended.

Personally, I think the idea has been taken as far as it can and I won't mind if it's back at some point or not. The joke of not being able to successfully swordfight via insults that Stemmle mentioned is the right way to address it I think. I'm sure it'll make its way in a later episode though. As long as there's no Monkey Kombat, I'm happy!
  • edited June 2009
    well I must say that I would feel a bit disappointed if insult sword fighting doesn't make it in any episodes.
  • edited June 2009
    Well at some point you gotta stop servicing the fans and start making a good game.
  • edited June 2009
    uniqortkga wrote: »
    Well at some point you gotta stop servicing the fans and start making a good game.

Completely agree. It doesn't need to be in a MI game (see MI 2). Skip this game and put it in the next one.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.