Overly harsh reviews?

2»

Comments

• Season 2 gets way too much crap.

Rob_K posted: »

Said jokingly, but partly serious: I disagree and I point to TWD S2, plus countless other game forums.

• everyone seems to agree this episode was amazing and besides all reviews are biased opinions so who cares. i enjoyed the ep more when i read igns review because Dan Stapleton is an idiot

Don't listen to reviewers...Especially IGN.

• Not really. It was good but it was pretty much a setup for the big thing again. First episode was a 7 for me and this one is 7.5. It was better yet i still didn't get the hit i wanted. But there are still 4 episodes, i am sure overall the game will have pretty good reviews.

• edited February 2015

The same as TWAU ep4 if I recall which got bad reviews while was really entertaining. And the odd TWD season 2 ending got much praise while a lot of people here where very disappoint.

• Most of the reviews haven't been that bad, all of the ones I've seen are 7,8, or 9/10 and I even saw a 9.5/10 one. But I do think that the 7's and any reviewer who gave one below that are a bit harsh though, this episode was really good.

• From the ones i've read, even the ones that are 7's and 8's are highly critical of the episode overall.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/game-of-thrones-episode-2-the-lost-lords-review

This one is a 6/10 with 4 pros and 2 cons. It also says how vital drama is to the series, then criticizes this episode for putting too much emphasis on it. Do they even proofread their work? Constantly contradict themselves.

Most of the reviews haven't been that bad, all of the ones I've seen are 7,8, or 9/10 and I even saw a 9.5/10 one. But I do think that the 7's and any reviewer who gave one below that are a bit harsh though, this episode was really good.

• It's probably because I'm not too familiar with the recent American teenage slang/life and that I'm 10 years away from being a teenager? :P I dunno, but hearing words like "punk-ass", "wowzers" and "are you cereal" made me laugh.

I don't see how. The writing seemed realistic to me and I love realism in my games.

• I read through the IGN review since some people seemed to take issue with that one specifically. I must be missing something here because I can't quite see what part of it that's supposed to annoy me.

• As I said in another thread, read the reviews not the score.

The one major complaint I'm surprised I haven't seen about the episode (or many of their games) is how badly it runs. It's about as smooth as a cheese grater most of the time and the animations leave a lot to be desired.

• edited February 2015

I personally don't get the 'unsatisfying gameplay' complaints. The story's the focus, hence why I don't understand people's expectations of better graphics, needing an engine update and wanting different mechanics. Well, I do understand wanting an engine update to fix possible performance issues, but that's all.

Anyhow, gameplay is fine for telling a story. I guess the QTEs are debatable, but they're sometimes integral to the story (like a chase sequence in Wolf, though I guess it could have been non-interactive which would likely lead to more complaints), plus it's nice to have a bit of choice in who to attack and such.

Point being anyway: The reason to play Telltale's stuff is for the story first and foremost, no?

And yeah, I see what you mean. They say in the third paragraph:

"Of all the Telltale series, this is the one that most clearly crosses the line between graphic adventure and interactive drama, so it’s vital that the drama’s good. The last episode hit real high spots, particularly in the Ironrath sections, and while Episode 2’s big plot twists aren’t quite as profound, there are a couple of smashers. Meanwhile, the smaller moments – a desperate attempt to clinch a marriage, a conflict of loyalties, more scenes between Mira and Tyrion – are nicely handled. This is the sort of thing Game of Throne fans look for, and it’s one area where Telltale has delivered the goods."

Then, in the final paragraph, they say:

"A disappointing second episode, which seems to amplify both the strengths and weaknesses of the opener. Game of Thrones still wins points for authentic atmosphere, strong characters and tangible player choice, but gameplay seems to be falling by the wayside. The result? An interactive drama where the emphasis goes too far on the drama."

Telltale aren't wanting in-depth gameplay, but are wanting to tell an interactive story. The game, according to the reviewer, needs a lot of drama and it delivers, alongside great characters and such which is what should matter most. Yet it deserves a 6 because the gameplay is poor. It does not compute.

The same reviewer also gave episode 1 a 7/10.

And I don't know if it's just me, but it seems like Telltale are trying to fit in more sections where you wander around. At least whenever it's possible. (It's never been something important to me, but I know it is to some.)

Anyway, I don't know really . . . but I just feel that ever since TWD S1, reviewers have been . . . fairly harsh (with the exception of Borderlands episode 1 for the most part). Though I must admit I didn't check TWD S1's episode reviews.

From the ones i've read, even the ones that are 7's and 8's are highly critical of the episode overall. http://www.trustedreviews.com/gam

• I played TWD season 1 as my first telltale game which had a fair few hubs. It was only when I played TWAU and TWD S2 that I realized just how much I liked them. It made me feel much more involved, rather than making me feel as if I was watching an interactive movie. Other people have said as much on the forums, which i'd like to believe is the reason they are trying to include them more in GOT and TFTB. Episode lengths are another thing that they seem to be trying to improve as well.

I wouldn't mind as much about reviewers giving this episode a score less than the first episode if they preferred that one. For me, the two episodes have qualities which make them good in their own right. "Iron from Ice" provided the settings and caught us with a strong, shocking ending. "The Lost Lords" provided the characters and set the stage nicely for future episodes to build on (the ending wasn't exactly bad either ;) ).

I absolutely agree with you on their criticism of the gameplay. As telltale's primary focus is on the story, gameplay is always going to be secondary. To call them out on it is just being picky.

Rob_K posted: »

I personally don't get the 'unsatisfying gameplay' complaints. The story's the focus, hence why I don't understand people's expectations of

• edited February 2015

I do hear people saying that stuff. Is it dumb? Kinda lol, but it's realistic in some ways.

ninoobz posted: »

It's probably because I'm not too familiar with the recent American teenage slang/life and that I'm 10 years away from being a teenager? :P I dunno, but hearing words like "punk-ass", "wowzers" and "are you cereal" made me laugh.

• Best part is they very recently done it again with the Majora's Mask 3D review.

It's like as if they want to give us ammo to make fun of them over.

• edited February 2015

I think I figured out what all the controversy's about and why it gets some bad reviews, this video really nails it right here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DaB4k4Sz64&feature=youtu.be

Skip to 2:27 and the whole thing about the lack decisions is talked about

Sign in to comment in this discussion.