What is up with Lucasarts lack of intiative?

Whether it's true or not, read this:
http://www.destructoid.com/lucasarts-not-planning-to-update-more-monkey-island-games-136552.phtml#comment

They just don't seem to give any real love to any of their franchises. You would think since George is getting so out of shape he could use the exercise to make more games.

Comments

• edited June 2009
    That's a weird headline for an article that just restates common sense: If the SoMI remake does well, they'll do more remakes.
  • edited June 2009
    Leave it to news articles to put a bad twist on a good thing and have people believing it...

And George never had anything to do with the games, you know. Other than signing off his approval for Indy and Star Wars stories.
  • edited June 2009
    Aye, that's media twist. LucasArts have not said "We're never going to go back to Monkey Island". They've said that there are no current plans to do so, since LucasArts have no idea if this special edition is going to be worth the effort. There's no definitive denial of any future Monkey Island remakes.
  • edited June 2009
    I agree with the rest of you. It's really common sense to see if the first sell good enough. So if you really want MI2:SE I recommend you to buy two copies of MI1:)
  • edited June 2009
    Indeed, LA is a company. Frankly, too, it's not a company that particularly emphasises PR.

TTG can be more pally with the community because it's such a relatively small enterprise. But Monkey Island is one of a very lucarative portfolio for LA; which means we all gotta buy SoMI:SE (which is exactly what they want us to do.. so maybe we shouldn't? >=] )
  • edited June 2009
    I'm buying the PC version of SOMI:SE eventually. But if I ever get a 360 I'm also going to buy it from Live Arcade as well.
  • edited June 2009
    I will also buy two copies of MI1 if they release one for the wii (sadly no rumors about it). And if I'm satisfied with the controls in TOMI I'll buy both pc and wii version.

Normally I don't use much money on games, but this is Monkey island. The game that I've always called the best game ever.
  • edited June 2009
    I doubt it'll be coming to the Wii as SOMI:SE has HD graphics and the Wii is incapable of HD output. People would be complaining to them that they aren't getting the full quality of other platforms. Also, since it looks like it'll be digital distribution only and never get a retail release (ruling out a possible Wii disc release), it's doubtful that it would fit the Wiiware file size limit requirements. I don't see a reason why it shouldn't come to PSN, though. But I don't own a PS3 either so I don't know the politics of that. I guess a good conclusion to draw would be that SOMI:SE is made with Direct3D (for the enhanced effects) which the PS3 doesn't support anymore than the Wii does (for obvious reasons).

But yes. If we really want to see adventures rise again we should be willing to support the genre any way we can.
  • edited June 2009
    I doubt it'll be coming to the Wii as SOMI:SE has HD graphics and the Wii is incapable of HD output. People would be complaining to them that they aren't getting the full quality of other platforms. Also, since it looks like it'll be digital distribution only and never get a retail release (ruling out a possible Wii disc release), it's doubtful that it would fit the Wiiware file size limit requirements. I don't see a reason why it shouldn't come to PSN, though. But I don't own a PS3 either so I don't know the politics of that. I guess a good conclusion to draw would be that SOMI:SE is made with Direct3D (for the enhanced effects) which the PS3 doesn't support anymore than the Wii does (for obvious reasons).

But yes. If we really want to see adventures rise again we should be willing to support the genre any way we can.

Surely doing it at 480p widescreen on the Wii is a still a lot higher than the original though?

And they MUST be able to get it down to 40mb.. with quite highly compressed audio? There cant be that many graphics in the whole thing.
  • edited June 2009
    40 megs? That would be impressive. :-)
  • edited June 2009
    Would it though? Using mp3 style compression for audio.. etc? As a flash developer 40mb seems huge!
  • edited June 2009
    It's a business.

I agree with them, it would be madness to go ahead and start the second when the first hasn't even been released.

They've already catered to fans, and I respect that. If the game sells well, they will do a MI2:SE, and if that goes well who knows.

I personally think that that wasn't a negative article really, it does make sense.

Just buy all monkey island related goods and we'll be fine.
  • edited June 2009
    Hey! Listen!

No lack of initiative there it seems... We just need to show them it's commercially viable.
    I know I will! :D

Just imagine if they finally completed the Loom trilogy!
  • edited June 2009
    Would it though? Using mp3 style compression for audio.. etc? As a flash developer 40mb seems huge!
    One hundred of these backgrounds had to be redone, they were all painted as these gorgeous 1080p high definition levels. We also have about 100 characters and about 4000 animations

OK, maybe not..
  • edited June 2009
    Kainchild wrote: »
    Whether it's true or not, read this:
    http://www.destructoid.com/lucasarts-not-planning-to-update-more-monkey-island-games-136552.phtml#comment

They just don't seem to give any real love to any of their franchises. You would think since George is getting so out of shape he could use the exercise to make more games.

Are you some sort of "silly person"? If the game does well, they'd like to do more... how is that bad?

Jeez! It's like saying: There are no plans to produce a sequel to James Cameron's new movie Avatar (which isn't released yet) -- so clearly the studio must hate Avatar! What kind of sense does that make?
  • edited June 2009
    Are you some sort of brainless zombie?

Bit harsh.
  • edited June 2009
    Bit harsh.

I hate it when people can't think for themselves.

Here's a quote from LucasArts:

"If Monkey Island: Special Edition sells, there's no one at this company who doesn't want to do these games. It's a matter of showing that there's interest and this market is alive and get people as excited as possible about Monkey Island Special Edition to show that these things can make it."
  • edited June 2009
    Hey! Listen!

No lack of initiative there it seems... We just need to show them it's commercially viable.

I'll buy 10 copies if I have to! Can you imagine? The LOOM Trilogy? LOOM was my first game, ever! ...so many lovely memories!
    Can your imagination go as far as MI2:LR SE? *drooooooling*
    I just hope they make Guybrush look more like...Guybrush in this one. When they'll make it. After I'll buy. 10 copies.
  • edited June 2009
    I'll buy 10 copies if I have to! Can you imagine? The LOOM Trilogy? LOOM was my first game, ever! ...so many lovely memories!
    I just hope they make Guybrush look more like...Guybrush in this one. When they'll make it. After I'll buy. 10 copies.

Loom is just beautiful! :D I just played through it (first time i actually completed it, something i've been planning to do for the last 20 years. :p) and that story definitely needs to be completed.

I just hope that if they do decide to make a MI2 SE, they get Purcell to work on it... I'm not sure if anyone else could do the game justice, graphics wise. ;)
  • edited June 2009

LA may not listen to fans after releasing previews, but i'm fairly sure they'll go for less of a 'surfer dude' style next time. I don't think it's just Guybrush's hair, they seem to have gotten it all wrong. The legs of a horse, the face of a man struck several times by an anvil, plus the hair of a surfer with concrete-based hair-gel.

Still, the background art looks so cool that I think it outweighs Freakbrush. :)
  • edited June 2009
    The soundtracks (both the original and remastered) alone would break the 40MB limit no matter what compression you use. And if a certain compression setting did make it fit it wouldn't be listenable.
  • edited June 2009
    The soundtracks (both the original and remastered) alone would break the 40MB limit no matter what compression you use. And if a certain compression setting did make it fit it wouldn't be listenable.

Aren't they some kind of loop? not played it for a while..
  • edited June 2009
    My install of Secret of Monkey Island is 42-odd MB. The original version BARELY doesn't fit, and that's without using Computer Wizardry on it.

How much bigger is the Special Edition? We don't know, sure. But it seems odd to me that it couldn't be worked around.
  • edited June 2009
    Yes, as everyone else is saying "not everyone sticks to the plan". I always thought that in the cutscenes Guybrush looked like a normal person , as if another one of the guys. The recent art work looks like some sort of poser or freak show . I don't disagree with the style as Elaine looks great but Guybrush looks like a rock star on crack and style shouldn't do this to a character. I always thought that the character and essence of Threepwood was captured in the MI-one cutscenes.... Actually looking at it again it looks everything like a Mi-3 Guybrush should look in a more realistic stylization .
  • edited June 2009

I think they'll do a pretty decent job with Guybrush if they remake MI2. They posted up some concept art for Guybrush, and some of their best sketches were clearly MI2-era Guybrush.
    Guybrush.
  • edited June 2009
    Hey! Listen!

They have only made one so far, right?

And it sure was a good one. I think I played the FM towns version. A nice different way to make an adventure game.

As for converting MI:SE to Wii... its just a matter of resizing the graphics. Not like they have to paint it all from scratch again. Wether they can make it into 40 mb... hard to say. Seems like a small game if its going to be 480p with full voice for all characters and music.

I just got a 8gb memory card for my Wii. Sadly my projector just blew, so will be a week or so till I can try it out. But with the Wiis HD alone, there just isnt room for those. I think the Wii have something like 512mb built in. They really ought to make new Wiis come with at least 8gb built in. Oh well.
  • edited June 2009
    Scaling down the graphics would defeat the whole purpose. Especially if it would cost the same amount of money as the PC and XBoxLiveArcade versions. That's a waste.
  • edited June 2009
    what would be called good or enough sales for LA? or what amount of sold copies would ensure a MI2 Upgrade or gain focus on adventure games again from their part?
  • edited June 2009
    I'd rather they sell the I.P's to TTg...
  • edited June 2009
    You know, I was wondering about the sales thing too, but my real interrogation is: anybody knows what the sales for Lucasarts adventure games were back when they were first published? The games were less expensive to make and the market smaller so they actually didn't need to sell that much to be resounding successes, right? Are the sales numbers known for any of the LA games?
  • edited June 2009
    Well I bought my copy. I just hope they don't give neglect to this title like some of their past titles.
  • edited June 2009
    Well I bought my copy. I just hope they don't give neglect to this title like some of their past titles.

HUH? It's not out yet and no date has been set for release? How pray tell have you bought your copy?

Please don't tell me you're one of these fools who are getting Tales and SE mixed up, there are too many already :(
  • edited June 2009
    tomo_cjt wrote: »
    HUH? It's not out yet and no date has been set for release? How pray tell have you bought your copy?

Please don't tell me you're one of these fools who are getting Tales and SE mixed up, there are too many already :(

I guess i'll be buying both but is the Tales version considered part of the original arc or is it some alternate universe version?
  • edited June 2009
    I guess i'll be buying both but is the Tales version considered part of the original arc or is it some alternate universe version?

It's Monkey Island 5. It's a continuation of the original story.
  • edited June 2009
    What Secret Fawful said ^^

Sorry if my previous post sounds sarcastic/aggressive but it was late at night, I'd just been ploughing through the SoMI:SE facebook page for the Q+A session thread and there were far too many people who just seemed to be mixing them up or not having a clue about Tales.

Heck, someone even asked Mark Darin a question about it -

Q: Dear Mark Darin, have you noticed that so many people on this comments page are rather confused between The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition and your project Tales of Monkey Island?

Do you think this consumer misconception (or lack of reading comprehension, or even downright retardation) is significant enough to affect sales of your product?

Has it occured to you that these people make a significant portion of the audience and if so will you be dumbing down the gameplay to accommodate their tiny minds?

A: I know that right now, some people get confused by which is which, but I think that just about everyone interested in Monkey Island is going to want to check out BOTH!

There is no need for us to dumb down gameplay, so don't worry, you be scratching you head as often as you'll be laughing it off.
  • edited June 2009
    It's Monkey Island 5. It's a continuation of the original story.

I was under the impression it's set after an 'imaginary' monkey island 5? (Didn't particularly make sense to me, though).
  • edited June 2009
    Marduk wrote: »
    I was under the impression it's set after an 'imaginary' monkey island 5? (Didn't particularly make sense to me, though).

It is Monkey Island 5, but they're pretty much just saying lotsa time and a few adventures have passed. That way they don't need to explain everything after MI4 so much, and it allows them to have a better backstory to the events in ToMI
  • edited June 2009
    Marduk wrote: »

Dave Grossman explains it thus:
    Yes, that's pretty much the size of it. Remember how at the beginning of Raiders of the Lost Ark, Indy is retrieving an idol from this place full of boobytraps in the middle of a jungle? That's the end of some kind of big adventure, the rest of which is not told, nor do I expect it ever will be told. You just have to imagine it. "MI5" was just a convenient way for me to describe where Tales fits in, which is to say, some things happened after Escape, and they led to the beginning of Tales, but you just have to imagine everything before the climax of that adventure. No one is actually making MI5.
  • edited June 2009
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    That's a weird headline for an article that just restates common sense: If the SoMI remake does well, they'll do more remakes.
    What would be the point? The reason they're doing Monkey1 isn't to get into remakes, it's to test the waters for future adventure games. If I was in charge of marketing this I'd bundle Grim Fandango with it - because Grim is such a fantastic adventure game, and you'd give fans that haven't played it a double-hit in the ratings.

It's just common sense - there won't be a MI2SE, don't kid yourselves. They didn't even do a red-book audio version of Monkey2 like they did for MI1.
    I doubt it'll be coming to the Wii as SOMI:SE has HD graphics and the Wii is incapable of HD output.
    That really doesn't matter. My computer graphics are only 1680x1050 and I'll still buy it...
Sign in to comment in this discussion.