Spy Fox?

edited July 2009 in Tales of Monkey Island
Hey guys.

Many of us, being Monkey Island fans, probably checked out Spy Fox, which was also by Ron Gilbert. Although the rest of the Humongous games were really childish, Spy Fox managed to have the same quality of humour as Monkey Island, even though it was really easy.

What was cool about it was that each time you played through the game, something changed. There were three routes to reach the secret base in Dry Cereal, you could use the car, or go underwater, oh wait there were only 2.

But things changed each time, and it let you do more puzzles each retry.

Maybe not for this generation of Telltale games, but I think Monkey Island and other games would benefit by having this replay value. I don't know how well it would transfer to games aimed at adults, but it's something to keep in mind.

Just an idea.

Comments

• edited June 2009
    I really doubt I'm old enough to remember this game but I must admit I'm intrigued.

Having never played it and not really knowing anything about it I have to say, purely from your description, that I wouldn't mind seeing a revival. (Sorry if any of this sounds like sarcasm; I would like to assure you that I am being serious).
  • edited June 2009
    I'm a bit too old to have been in Spy Fox' target audience when those games came out, but Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis had three branching paths half a decade before Spy Fox came around. It also changed minor details and puzzles every time you played, such as the location of Platos Lost Dialogue.
  • edited June 2009
    Yeah. I was also off Spy Foxes age bracket, my little brother got it cos it's aimed at 6-9 year olds. I was 16 when I played and finished all of em.

I think the change in puzzles each time would be good, but Spy Fox was a bit different to Indiana Jones. It didn't have a branch, just the game would change significantly each time you played, although some puzzles such as the initial one would stay.

I would also like to see a Spy Fox revival.

But I think changing puzles could help current generation adventure games too. If Wallace and Gromit had slightly different puzzles, I would definitely replay it.
  • edited June 2009
    It was ported to Wii a while back, but It's been discontinued.
  • edited June 2009
    I love Spy fox. I played all 3 games (not the racing or cheese chase because those were lame). Anyway, It's really awesome and funny. It is probably the most "mature" of Humongous' games, but it's still pretty kiddy (something like for ages 10-12 or something). it's ridiculously easy if you're over the those ages, even if you don't pay attention (I finished the first game in less than an hour without watching any cutscene and skipping most of the dialog). But great animation quality and voice acting made it a very enjoyable experience. Also I love the fact that every time you restart the game, the puzzles are different.
  • edited July 2009
    Ron did Spy Fox? Didn't know that.

I too would love to see a Spy Fox revival. He was my favorite Humongous character.
  • edited July 2009
    Hmm... Might check this out. I didn't like most of the Humongous stuff I've played though.
  • edited July 2009
    "I'll be there like swim-wear!"

Haha, I loved these games. The character design especially.

That, and Pajama Sam.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.