Where were you and how did you find out about the new MI ?

It was the first week of June for me, on a Wednesday morning. It was a pretty normal day up until this point. I stopped for my morning coffee, picked up some breakfast and headed into work. The skies were blue, sounds of the bustling traffic were radiating from all sides and the voice of Mike and Mike speaking about last nights NBA game over the radio. It was just your average, early morning commute. Little did I know that this day, which started out so uneventful would turn my life upside down and change things forever.

I was going about my business, just working on some accounts in the office when it happened…..I got the call. It was my brother, who rarely calls, especially during the work day. I knew that this had to be important and my mind immediately gravitated towards something bad. As soon as I answered the phone, his trembling tone and the way his voice crackled just gave me an empty pit in my stomach. The last time I had a call that started out like this, I was informed of a death in the family. I waited impatiently for what he was about to say, hoping for something that would alleviate my anxiety. This was not the case. His first few words were…”Do you have a second” and when I said “Yes”, he asked me if I was sitting down. My heart started to race profusely now. A nervous reflex even knocked over my coffee that was sitting on my desk. I said in a worried tone “what is it?”……there was a brief pause, a deep breath and another hesitation before he said “Its about”…….then there was another pause. A million thoughts were circling my mind now. I was thinking about what, about who, what happened? This is when he spoke the 2 most significant words I have ever heard him say …… “Monkey Island”.

It had been many years since I had last heard the phrase “Monkey Island”. I realize that those are only 2 words, but they are about as powerful as they get. When I heard those words, it was almost like I had seen a ghost. Monkey Island was one of the best chapters in my life, but a chapter that has been closed for almost a decade now. I started to revisit in my mind a memory that for so long had been buried and untouched. A million memories started to flood my brain at this point. I thought of many random points of the epic game series such as patching the boat, getting past the Cabana boy, capturing Pegnose, or watching Marco De Pollo get attacked on this dive. These memories brought me back to a point of complete euphoria when we were able to enjoy probably the greatest game to ever be made. However, like all good things…..it had to eventually come to an end. The conclusion of the monkey island series caused me a great deal of depression and marked a very painful time in my life.

About 9 years ago when this series came to its end, I tried to look at the positive. I tried to be optimistic and I told myself that I would just wait 5 years and then I could just play monkey island again and it would be just as fun because hopefully I would have forgotten a lot of the puzzles. So...I waited and after 5 years when the time was right, I threw in the curse of Monkey Island. There were many puzzles that I did forget, but were also many that came back to me right away. I understood this experience would never compare to a new monkey island, but this is all I had. After I finished them for the second time, I knew that was it. I knew Monkey Island was officially over…..forever.

Ultimately, these memories were bottled up and kept in a very safe and secure part of my mind but were never touched because thinking about this classic would usually only make me even more depressed. There were several times in the early part of the decade that I would hear rumors of another “monkey island” release. I always was excited when I heard these rumors and would be the first one to investigate the legitimacy of them. Each and every time though, the rumors were squashed and one day I realized that Monkey Island was finished and wasn’t ever coming back.

So when I heard my brother speak the words “Monkey Island”, I immediately felt anger towards him. Why would he bring up such a delicate and sensitive subject for me. What would he possibly have to say about this game that wouldn’t take me back, when for so many years I have progressed nicely getting past and getting over this famed classic. I realize that only time can heal these kind of deep wounds and I was doing very well and coping nicely. He then said two more words that were equally as powerful. He said “Its back”.

My mind again started to go in a million directions. What did he mean “Its back?”……why was he doing this to me and playing with my emotions? I asked him what he was talking about and he said he was sending me a link over the computer. I waited and I waited and what was in actuality seconds, seemed like an eternity. I clicked on the link and what I saw on the screen and the words that I read, changed my life forever. I saw an illustration of Guybrush, LeChuck, the pirate ship and the voodoo lady. The words I read that were emblazoned over the image were the most instrumental and life altering words I have ever read. The caption said “ Humor, Romance and Piratey Swashbuckling in an all new epic saga”. That was the key part of the phrase….. “all new”.

I couldn’t believe my eyes and starting to think that this was just a practical joke, a gimmick of some kind. I was thinking it was just like a mirage of a pool of crystal blue water in the desert and just as you get close enough to take a sip, it disappears. I thought….how could someone play such a cruel joke? How can someone play with my innermost thoughts, hopes, dreams and fears? Especially, how could my own brother do this to me? He did his best to assure me that this was by no means a joke, but the real deal. So many times in the past he would joke about “another monkey island” but that never panned out and the last thing I expected was for one to be released after so many years. I was as skeptical and as cynical as they come but when I saw the trailer for the game and the forums with so many others rejoicing like I was, I knew that it was for real.

I still don’t think that reality has set in for me yet…….I still don’t think my mind has really processed the ramifications that this had , has and will have on my life. All I know is that on that early June morning, in the year 2009, my life was changed…….forever.

Comments

• edited June 2009
    internet.
  • edited June 2009
    Hahaha, those two posts are the best example of juxtaposition I have seen in a while!

Internet for me too though, trwling E3 news hoping for a new Zelda and got something even better! (obviously both would have been even better still)
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    Someone told me I would be working on it, and I said "Whoa. Hmm. Whoa."

Also XuGator, you might want to edit your post to add some line breaks!
  • edited June 2009
    I could practically climb that wall o' text.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun for me. I was very surprised.
  • edited June 2009
    I really don't remember! :confused:

All I know is that is was early in the morning, I was tired as a sock and quite unhappy with having to get up and get through another grey, generic day at work. It was a horrible, horrible Monday. :(
    So I was surfing for news and such while having breakfast, like I usually do, and then...
    Papapishu!! :eek:
    Was walking around looking like I just got some for 5 days straight! Not to mention challenging random strangers on the street to insult sword fighting. Did you know that's actually illegal in some places? :mad:

edit: Uh, wait... Seems I DO remember! What a silly way to start off a post. :p
  • edited June 2009
    Well, I found out in two ways in pretty much the same space of time, so I'll go with the more interesting one.

I got a call from a friend of mine, and this is basically how it went.

Friend: MONKEY ISLAND!!!
    Me: WHAT?
    Friend: You heard me.
    *click*
  • edited June 2009
    I was on the internet at work and noticed where my friend had posted an IGN article on my Facebook wall that had the E3 preview of ToMI. Naturally I barely got any work done the rest of the day.
  • edited June 2009
    I hadn't followed E3 news at all, and I think I'd been away from the internet for a bit.

So I go to Telltale's site and see MONKEY ISLAND on a big splash page.

I do a double take.

A triple take.

A spit take.

"Wha-wha-wha-WHAT?"

The laugh track plays.
  • edited June 2009
    Mine was random luck. I was looking for some way to kill time, so I decided I'd check the TellTale forums, and when I got to the page, BAM! Monkey Island!

I wasn't able to think of anything else for a week.
  • edited June 2009
    I was on my usual forum when someone posted about the Secret Special Edition and through the LucasArts page I found out about Tales.
  • edited June 2009
    i was on wiki after I uploaded sam and max hit the road ending and I was bordly clicking aand ended up on monkey island page saw the tales of monkey island secion and went hysterical XD
  • edited June 2009
    thanatos56 wrote: »
    Mine was random luck. I was looking for some way to kill time, so I decided I'd check the TellTale forums, and when I got to the page, BAM! Monkey Island!

At first I read that as
    thanatos56 wrote: »
    I was looking for some way to kill myself, so I decided I'd check the TellTale forums, and when I got to the page, BAM!

:eek:

You had me worried for a second... :p
  • edited June 2009
    At first I read that as

:eek:

You had me worried for a second... :p

Lol, I'm not that kind of person.
  • edited June 2009
    Telltale emailed me?

Man... what a boring story.

Let's see, last few days of Honeymoon, first access to a pc in about a week. Telltale had emailed saying "hey, we're making a MI game and Lucasarts is totally reskinning the first game!" and I was like "oh that's cool, but I totally don't believe you guys. Is it April first again?"
    When we got home a few days later I had the time to actually check it out and preorder.

I love when Telltale email me random things.
  • edited June 2009
    For the first time in about two months I was on the MI Wiki. Just for lolz, I checked the entry for Monkey Island 5. I was expecting a hopeful entry of something not to come or a "no page exists response". I was shocked when I saw the title "Tales of Monkey Island" at the top. I have to admit, I'm still in shock =)
  • edited June 2009
    I was driving home from the grocery store with my wife, I got in a terrible accident.. I virtually walked away unscratched (wear your seat belt kids) My wife wasn't wearing one..

I spent a lot of hours sitting in the waiting room.... you know waiting.

The doctor finally came out holding a clipboard flipping back and forth some pages... he looked tired. He asked if I was... me.

He said he was sorry he couldn't save my wife.. but told me to cheer up there where some new Monkey Island games coming out.. and that they managed to save the groceries in my car...

Needless to say... I have my 6 pack of Guinness and I eagerly await the release of the new MI games...

Really I was on another message board and someone mentioned it, and I was all "noway!!"
  • edited June 2009
    Was checking the news on E3. Hoping for some MMORPG free subscription game and all or some news of Wii or Guild Wars2. I was like "lets see if they finally release good games for Wii like Final Fantasy's series from PS3" Needless to say i was browsing through the trailers and passed by something like monkey island, then i was like "whoa wait, whats that about Monkey Island i just saw?!" I was in shock cuzz i though they had the franchise dead.

I got so excited i went inmediately for the 1st time to Telltalegames site and found out more info, and bought it thinking it was released in June 7. Then i found out in my email it was July 7 and not June so i misread. Still im excited and i hope they mail me a CD of all the chapters!
  • edited June 2009
    This thread is probably the best on this forum. The smile that was on my face reading the first post turned quickly to out loud laughter as I read the second. God Bless you poster number 2.

I think I found out googling all my favourite series as I do once in a while especially since it had just been e3. Assassins creed (yay a second one) splinter cell (yay another one) monkey island (ooh that special edition rumour is true! yay. OMG what... noooooo not another joke... OMG MI5!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH) Sims 3 (no expansions yet) Sim City (doesn't seem like it) etc.
  • edited June 2009
    Really it isn't that exciting , I was right here (The same place...)
  • TeaTea
    edited June 2009
    irc.quakenet.org/gog

There was a bit of an uproar.
  • edited June 2009
    I saw it in an article in the UK weekly mag "Computer Weekly" i could not believe my eyes.
  • edited June 2009
    I had just got home from work and I was logging on to catch up with what was going on in the Microsoft press conference, but ended up getting completely distracted by all the Monkey Island news. I think it was another couple of hours before I calmed down enough to look up the MS news...
  • edited June 2009
    Monday 1st June in afternoon I believe I saw something about it on Eurogamer when I got back from work.
  • edited June 2009
    Telltale newsletter. And the rest of the day I spent in this forum. I just couldn't do anything else.
  • edited June 2009
    I don't know why in the World I visited LucasArts' site then I saw SECRET OF MONKEY ISLAND SPECIAL EDITION and got VEEEEEERY excited. After that I saw the TellTale Continue the Adventure button and found out there was Tales also :D
  • edited June 2009
    One of my favourite musicians who I happened to subscribe to the facebook page of was a fan of Monkey Island and he announced it.

I've been purchasing the other Telltale games and catching up on all the stuff I've missed. Anybody who 'revives' the so-called 'extinct' graphic adventure gaming genre is worthy of my money. If TMI's as good as any of these games I know I'll be in for a treat.
  • edited June 2009
    Interesting that only two of us cite the newsletter...
  • edited June 2009
    Interesting that only two of us cite the newsletter...
    Well, the RSS feed got to me first - otherwise I'd have cited it as well... :D

np: Markus Guentner - Jellyfish (1981)
  • edited June 2009
    International House of Mojo. I read 'LucasArts continuing to do something awesome' or whatever, and my adventure instincts told me to go straight to the Telltale website.

Naturally, I jumped around like a teenage girl who received a reply letter from the Jonas Brothers. No wait, I jumped like something manlier and tougher than that.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.