So, I'm playing MI2 again... [SPOILERS!]

... I forgot most of it. The thing is, I'm in the dark in LeChucks dungeons, and apparently (thank you walkthroughs) there was a box of matches I didn't pick up, so I guess I'm stuck. I tried downloading some saved game files ('cause I obviously didn't save game as I progressed, why on earth would I? *face palms self*), but they don't show up in the "load" part of the game after I've placed them in the MI2 files folder. (Using ScummVM)... anyone know where to get a saved game around that place in the game WITH the matches? :P Unless there's a way of getting out of there without matches, which I doubt. Too lazy to play what I played over again right now.

Thank you kindly for any help :cool:

Comments

• edited June 2009
    Lead Eater wrote: »
    ... I forgot most of it. The thing is, I'm in the dark in LeChucks dungeons, and apparently (thank you walkthroughs) there was a box of matches I didn't pick up, so I guess I'm stuck. I tried downloading some saved game files ('cause I obviously didn't save game as I progressed, why on earth would I? *face palms self*), but they don't show up in the "load" part of the game after I've placed them in the MI2 files folder. (Using ScummVM)... anyone know where to get a saved game around that place in the game WITH the matches? :P Unless there's a way of getting out of there without matches, which I doubt. Too lazy to play what I played over again right now.

Thank you kindly for any help :cool:

You dont need a box of matches in those dungeons. You use up the matches before getting in those dungeons.

You just need Stans handkerchief, The one with an S on it and the Juju bag from the voodoo lady. I think you can find all the rest of the stuff you need in the dungeions.

I just completed the game today :) Otherwise I couldnt remember. I have completed it so many times, the only thing I had forgotten was that I had to get an ore from Elaines room. I used a walkthrough for that, and then I could figure out the rest for myself. Now just 2 more games to go :)
  • edited June 2009
    Hmmm, I tried to change the path of saved games so that the game would find the new saved games i just downloaded, but now ALL saved games are gone O_o oh my :P
  • edited June 2009
    I think he's talking about LeChuck's hidden fortress, not the end of the game. You have to look in the JuJu bag and you'll find the bomb and matches. If you ARE at the end of the game then there's a light switch you just have to turn on.

There are no dead ends in MI2.
  • edited June 2009
    I think I know what part you mean. Right after the spit puzzle, right? The box of matches is in the juju bag you have. Just open it.
  • edited June 2009
    Is there an echo in here?
  • edited June 2009
    Thanks guys... I screwed it up for myself though.. exited the game, (i saved before I exited) but now all saved games are gone... *shrug*
  • edited June 2009
    The save games have to be in the directory pointed to by "Save Game Directory" in the game options in ScummVM.
  • edited June 2009
    The save games have to be in the directory pointed to by "Save Game Directory" in the game options in ScummVM.

They are! But still nothing.

Thanks for the help..

I think I'll just watch the rest on youtube or something :eek:
  • edited June 2009
    thanatos56 wrote: »
    I think I know what part you mean. Right after the spit puzzle, right? The box of matches is in the juju bag you have. Just open it.
    I think he's talking about LeChuck's hidden fortress, not the end of the game. You have to look in the JuJu bag and you'll find the bomb and matches. If you ARE at the end of the game then there's a light switch you just have to turn on.

Ahh... I guess I might have spoiled the ending a bit there then :eek:

I remember first time I played MI2 I wasnt great at english, and it didnt cross my mind to open the manilla envelope. So I went around without my items for some time after the prison part :)
  • edited June 2009

actually there is one, explained and shown in this video (read the description)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yDeiCQxm2A
  • edited June 2009
    Mataku wrote: »
    actually there is one, explained and shown in this video (read the description)

That just doesn't seem worth it, lol.
  • edited June 2009
    Yeah, but you'd never run into that unwittingly. Obviously you're going to expect to break the game if you do something so horrendously long intentionally.
  • edited June 2009

*ahem* If you don't search the Juju Bag BEFORE you arrive in the dark room with Wally (the one with exploding stuff), Guybrush will not search the bag in the room, saying that it is too dark. So... you can't take out the matches. :) Weird, huh?
  • edited June 2009
    *ahem* If you don't search the Juju Bag BEFORE you arrive in the dark room with Wally (the one with exploding stuff), Guybrush will not search the bag in the room, saying that it is too dark. So... you can't take out the matches. :) Weird, huh?

No, but you can just OPEN it and get the bomb & matches - that's what I did in my last run through.
  • edited June 2009
    No, but you can just OPEN it and get the bomb & matches - that's what I did in my last run through.

So it seems you have to spend eight hours to find a way to become stuck :)
  • edited June 2009

Unless you get stacks of money from the man of low moral fiber by repeatedly getting money for the shoe polish until you get enough money for kate capsize, which means you dont have to get the drinks from the woodtick, resulting in guybrush falling into the pit of acid in part 3. if you dont get the gist of my ranting on, heres a youtube link:
  • edited June 2009
    Situation Mataku explained above, linking to the same video. :D
  • edited June 2009
    Unless you get stacks of money from the man of low moral fiber by repeatedly getting money for the shoe polish until you get enough money for kate capsize, which means you dont have to get the drinks from the woodtick, resulting in guybrush falling into the pit of acid in part 3. if you dont get the gist of my ranting on, heres a youtube link:

Read.
    Yeah, but you'd never run into that unwittingly. Obviously you're going to expect to break the game if you do something so horrendously long intentionally.
  • edited June 2009
    That's oddly similar to the unintentional unwinnable state in the first Monkey Island, where you can waste so many of your coins in the broken Grog Machine that you can't afford things you need later on.

Nowadays (in adventure games) you never see quite that situation, money always seems to be given and taken in very strict quantities so there's no chance of such a deviation from the script, or they just go with a more generic "some money" item in your inventory.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    Nowadays (in adventure games) you never see quite that situation, money always seems to be given and taken in very strict quantities so there's no chance of such a deviation from the script, or they just go with a more generic "some money" item in your inventory.

I think that's at least in part because it sounds so unnatural for characters to read out now much money they have. "I have 327 pieces of eight" is fine in text, but when spoken, you get "I have ... three... hundred.... ... twenty .. seven ... pieces of eight!" I think that's why they put the clock into Curse of Monkey Island, to highlight how sucky and infeasible that became.

It sounded like for the Monkey 1 special edition they just ended up recording Guybrush saying off tons and tons of numbers, but it would still end up being slightly stitched together. Oh well!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.