Will this game be like Borderlands?

As we all know, Telltale tend to focus on more serious games with more adult themes (and I'm talking about the newest games, not the old stuff). So I can understand why people (such as myself) are finding it hard to predict what this game will be like- it obviously won't be serious like TWD or GOT and it won't be exploring any deeper themes, but at the same time it's not going to be just for kids. It'll have some adult themes too, and people find it very hard to guess how much the balance between kid themed and adult themed will be.

I think the only way I can see this game going is if it follows the same line that Borderlands has. Obviously you can't make Minecraft serious, as that'd just be ridiculous and wouldn't attract the younger audience that inevitably play this game; at the same time it won't be too childish, and will have some elements to the game designed to appeal to more grown up players.

I can only see this game therefore being overall very light hearted and comedic, with a more serious storyline to give the game a backbone. Basically like Tales From The Borderlands except without the bad language or the violence. What do you people think?

Comments

• It will probably be "funny" but funny for children, and maybe extremely mild jokes only adults would get

• I don't even seeing it being dark comedy, like Borderlands. It will likely be "comic mischief" or whatever and will be like rated E 10+ or something

• Although Telltale has yet to make a family friendly title with the choice making gameplay, it doesn't mean choice can only be applied to dark situations. It just means Telltale hasn't tried making lighthearted choices yet. As you guessed, I assume the game will play out similarly to Tales from the Borderlands, but in a more family friendly manner.

• I meant more of a toned down version of TFTB, though I didn't find the humour in that game that dark to be honest.

I don't even seeing it being dark comedy, like Borderlands. It will likely be "comic mischief" or whatever and will be like rated E 10+ or something

• Dark comedy (at least in my opinion) is a comedic story that takes place in a not so comedic setting. Hence, Borderlands is dark comedy IMO. But yeah, a toned down more kid-friendly story is likely gonna be what this game is.

I meant more of a toned down version of TFTB, though I didn't find the humour in that game that dark to be honest.

• I agree completely. On another note, how seriously do you think this game will take itself? Will it be a more serious game based on a solid plot with some comedy in between? Or will it be like Borderlands in the way that random stuff seems to happen all the time (eg; when you have the "break his heart" or "blow his mind" choices with August)?

Poogers555 posted: »

It will probably be "funny" but funny for children, and maybe extremely mild jokes only adults would get

• Ah okay, so THAT'S what dark comedy means then. I always though it was the style of jokes that indicated whether something was dark or not, and not the setting. I've been so stupid! Cheers for clearing that up.

Dark comedy (at least in my opinion) is a comedic story that takes place in a not so comedic setting. Hence, Borderlands is dark comedy IMO. But yeah, a toned down more kid-friendly story is likely gonna be what this game is.

• It will probably just be alot of slapstick

I agree completely. On another note, how seriously do you think this game will take itself? Will it be a more serious game based on a solid

• edited February 2015

I dont know about being like borderlands but it has to have mining and crafting which should also mean customisation maybe a house you can build and decorate and there needs to be things to do on the side this game shouldn't be on rails it needs a slight sandbox feel even if its the illusion of sandbox

• You think they'd involve building? Maybe they might add the Borderland mechanic were you could choose upgrades for Loader Bot, but otherwise I doubt they'll have much of that. I reckon it'll be more about the storyline.

I dont know about being like borderlands but it has to have mining and crafting which should also mean customisation maybe a house you can b

• Actually, it IS the jokes. Tales from the Borderlands is considered a dark comedy likely because of Bossanova's death scene and also the source material, which jokes about death and torture quite consistently.

No offense meant to you, @Shubbalubbadingdong

Ah okay, so THAT'S what dark comedy means then. I always though it was the style of jokes that indicated whether something was dark or not, and not the setting. I've been so stupid! Cheers for clearing that up.

• None at all. I figure both are seen as dark comedy.

Actually, it IS the jokes. Tales from the Borderlands is considered a dark comedy likely because of Bossanova's death scene and also the sou

• There are some things that are funny for everyone, no matter how old they are.

Poogers555 posted: »

It will probably be "funny" but funny for children, and maybe extremely mild jokes only adults would get

• Not completely, but i think they'll be very similar

• I hope they use humour for all ages.

• They hit an animal with a car in Borderlands... imagine what they're gonna do to animals in MineCraft.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.