Why people would choose between great stories and great graphics?

After arguing with a lot of other Monkey Island fans, this question's being haunting my mind.
As soon as I asked for better graphics, people said that they prefer a game which is funny, humorous, with a great gameplay and a great story.
What I'm asking for is this: WHY do you think great graphics exclude every other aspect we know and love in the MI series?
Why do you always choose between graphics and story, graphics and gameplay, graphics and humour etc.?
What I love most about MI is certainly something that prescinds from graphics, but I don't see the reason why a great MI game shouldn't have great graphics.
One of the answers I mainly received was: "MI would be crap with Crysis graphics, stop asking for realism".
No one among us complaining ever asked for realism, don't you know the beautiful cartoony stile that can be obtained with great graphics?
No one's ever be speaking of realism.
Sure, I'd like the MI sea to look more like a sea, does this mean I'm not a "real" fan?
Some of you weren't even born when I was playing MI1 for the first time, so I don't understand where this kind of who-cares-of-graphics-doesn't-love-adventure-games came out from.
We the hardcore fans want just the best of the best for a MI game, so the complaining about the graphics is perfectly normal.
I think that a game, to be considered "great", must be great under every aspect, including graphics.
A great game is even greater with great graphics.
The paradox is that some of you consider great graphics like a flaw.
I agree when you all say "first other things, then graphics".
Well, OK, other things are there, we're all glad to see MI back.
Now, it's graphics' turn.

Edit: here's a simple example of awesomeness.
attachment.php?attachmentid=91823

Comments

• edited June 2009
    Some of just think the graphics ARE great.
  • edited June 2009
    The graphics do look great imo. fed up of reading complaints about the graphics before anyone has played the game. if you feel the need to complain next month, be my guest
  • edited June 2009
    I agree whole-heartedly. The only problem that I tend to have is the fact that a lot of developers will put tons and tons of work into awesome graphics and kind of slack off on the gameplay and the story. However, when you finally get a game with all of the elements together, it's amazing. Personally, I wouldn't mind a somewhat more realistic Monkey Island game. I mean as long as we had bright colors and whatnot I think it could look pretty good being realistic (and by realistic I mean along the lines of Zelda: Twilight Princess much like someone else suggested only the colors would need to be brighter). The thing is most people are tired of companies pushing "pretty" games that don't actually offer fun gameplay. My main gripe about this is that a lot of people won't buy a Wii simply because it has inferior graphics to the Xbox 360 and PS3. Honestly, some of the best games I've played from this generation of consoles has been on the Wii. Do I wish the Wii had better graphics? Sure. Do graphics make the final choice in what system and/or game I buy? Not at all.

But I do agree with what you're saying, stating that Monkey Island (or any game for that matter) shouldn't have good graphics is ridiculous.
  • edited June 2009
    tmsmyth4 wrote: »
    The graphics do look great imo. fed up of reading complaints about the graphics before anyone has played the game. if you feel the need to complain next month, be my guest
    It's kind of what they've shown to display the game, though.

Nobody would be calling it pointless complaining if Guybrush Threepwood was a woman in the trailer, or if for example it was revealed that LeChuck's new form was a stack of buttery pancakes.
  • TimTim
    edited June 2009
    tmsmyth4 wrote: »

That, and it's not an exclusion or a pick between gameplay or graphics, it's an order (with varying importance). Obviously all MI fans want all aspects of the game to be top notch. However, personally I feel an adventure game fails miserably if the story or gameplay is not top notch. The graphics might be able to take a dent. This is a matter of personal preference & aspect priority. No-one is making fans pick between two important aspects, but merely showing their preference of applied top-notchness. Not really sure where this comes from, but I feel a lot of people are applying this same order of importance.
  • edited June 2009
    For older, ahm *cough*, more experienced, people this has to do with the history of video games. God created the world and man created video games (short version) and in the beginning there were almost two types of games:

Those which were coded very well, smooth scrolling, 300 blobs by 60fps, generating galaxies out of a few bytes, pure assembly and so on. Often these games lacked in gaming depth or gameplay. On the other side there were the games which were less advanced on the technical side but which offered a great story, game concept or features enabling this. Only in rare cases or after more time passed both diciplines came together and learned how to love each other. I remember quite some discussion with friends about this subject many years ago and when playing for instance some Cinemaware titles like "It cam from the Desert" were we thought, could you imagine how cool such games could be if it would be done well?!

Obviously it also is a planning and budget problem or simply a psychological issue or personal preferences. In bad cases companies, throw almost all their money at the engines, middleware and graphics and somehow forget to implement a convincing game on top of all this.

Even for indie developers this also can be a problem. Getting something running can, according to the game and you skills, be a really though thing and getting on your nerves so that you might end up with much less than you wanted to implement (which btw. always is the case). Again on the other side you might have the great designer who isn't this skilled in programming but has a pretty good idea. Until he doesn't find the right persons to team up with, it obviously will lack on the other aspects again, same goes with the art. Hey, did i already mention budgets, deadlines and managing all this properly?!

Obviously the industry also recognised this and evolved more and more. The good ones are bringing together talented people for each aspect. Still there are companies which care more about certain aspects than others in a specific game, which mostly depends on the game genre and again don't forget the budgets and deadlines as well as not everyone can afford developing a Shenmue or GTA4.

You could write pages about this considering much more aspects.

In theory it's easy but in real it takes some experience mixing the right ingredients and bringing it all together. That's why there aren't a dozens of Blizzards, VALVes or TTGs.
  • edited June 2009
    The graphics are ok, but only ok, they are not amazong ... but graphics are not the most important thing, if monkey island is funny and the puzzels well done then it will be a great game ...

but look at these screens:
    http://www.gbase.ch/PC/shots/Ghost+Pirates+of+Vooju+Island+(9+Screenshots)/8821/5375.html
    ghost pirates graphics are really lots better then the ones from monkey island!

but perhaps the game is less fun to play, so if i have to choose between graphics or gameplay i would choose gameplay, cause i will remeber the game years after having played it because it was funny and told me an amazing story, a good adventure book is like reading a good book ... i not a huge monkey island fan because mi1 or 2 had amazing graphics but because the gameplay was great!
  • edited June 2009
    I never said good graphics was a flaw. I'd love to see incredibly detailed and realistic graphics. But I'm more than happy with what we've got. It's not a matter of choosing between them, it's a matter of being happy with what we've got (because there isn't going to be anything more unless we give our support). Complaining about it isn't going to get anywhere in that regard.
  • edited June 2009

That is because most times they are indirect flaws. If a developer concentrates on the graphics the rest of the game will most certainly be sh*t.
    It happened before and it will happen again.
  • edited June 2009
    der_ketzer wrote: »
    That is because most times they are indirect flaws. If a developer concentrates on the graphics the rest of the game will most certainly be sh*t.
    It happened before and it will happen again.

If a developer concentrates on graphics AFTER the rest of the stuff is implemented, it won't happen.
  • edited June 2009
    If a game has great gameplay, it would take a lot for it to suck. If a game has great graphics it can still suck in many aspects.

Good gameplay is just so fundamental. Just search for AVGN's or irategamer's reviews on youtube. Gameplay always comes first. It makes you not want to toss out the game out the window and is the most crucial part for a game being good. Any gamer knows this.

I'm not sure why some people want to choose between graphics and xxx, but it's probably just a "stroke-mine-and-I'll-stroke-yours" club between fans where graphics represent "shallow" and the other part represent "deep".

Also, you write that some consider great graphics to be a flaw, but this is just not true. Of course everyone wants great graphics. However, a game like MI 4, when it came out- was not great graphics. It was new but shitty graphics- just like Myst 5. So, that's the perspective of some people in situations where they don't feel the need to point out the obvious.
  • edited June 2009
    If a game has great gameplay, it would take a lot for it to suck. If a game has great graphics it can still suck in many aspects.

Ok, but if a game has great gameplay, it can only get better and better with great graphics. It's something like: put a good clip frame on a great picture to improve it.
    Obviously, the picture first, and the clip frame after.
  • edited June 2009
    It's an indirect flaw for 2 reasons:

1) It raises hardware requirements, alienating part of the potential user base

2) Money is limited. For small/medium companies especially. Graphics cost money, as do gameplay and story. If one has to suffer I prefer it to be graphics. Most Big companies seem to disagree, which saddens me plenty.

Don't get me wrong, I love pretty graphics as much as anyone else. The issue is that a second paradox emerges:

Some of you seem to consider great graphics a necessity.
  • edited June 2009
    If you speak of "indirect" flaw, then I can see why and partially agree with 1) and 2)
    About the second paradox, I don't agree: we just think that a great game, to be such considered, must be great under every point of view.
    Taking a lot of care for graphics, obviously after taking care of what's more important, can only let the game charming and enchanting to see.
    I don't see why people are contenting themselves.
    It is true that, if there's a need to sacrify an aspect, it must be graphics.
    But, in a way, I just think a lot of people here are contenting themselves, with the poor excuse to consider graphics shallow.
    Graphics alone don't make a great game, but can help improving even more a game that's already wonderful.
    I love TTG, I love what they're doing, I'm following them since 2004 and I'll support them 'til death.
    But there's nothing wrong (and nothing shallow) on requesting better graphics.
    By the way, do you really like the way the sea has been rendered in TMI? Honestly, c'mon.
  • edited June 2009
    By the way, do you really like the way the sea has been rendered in TMI? Honestly, c'mon.
    Hum... yes?

By the way, ever heard of Introversion? A rather successful Indie company that doesn't even have graphic artists and yet some of their games have been considered to have some of the best atmospheres in recent years (Defcon in Particular)
  • edited June 2009
    I've took a look, thanks!
    Well, anyway I think it's just a matter of personal taste: I don't like the rendering of the sea, you do. It's OK.
    What I really want people to understand is that even a hardcore long time fan of MI (like me) can care about graphics and that doesn't mean he's a newbie to computer games and is easily impressed by every crappy game if it's got great graphics.
    We who are complaining about graphics are doing this just because we love MI that much that we'd love it to be perfect.
    It's not possible, but please stop with this policy of "you care of graphics, you're not a fan".
    MI rules, MI's the best, we ask for the most possible perfection, even graphical.
    If it ain't possible, no problem, I'll enjoy TMI anyway and every other MI game that will come out.
    I'd just love better inspiring graphics, that's all.
  • edited June 2009
    Graphic THIS Judas!

_I_

jk
  • edited June 2009
  • edited June 2009
    Sorry for crossing posts, but this HAS to be said here too.
    Now look at THIS:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=91823
    Do you still think great graphics would be pointless? This looks painly awesome... (thanks viz)
  • edited June 2009
    Do you still think great graphics would be pointless? This looks painly awesome... (thanks viz)
    Looks awesome, just like Doom3's models. And that just killed the Doom franchise... :D

np: Jackie Leven & The Stornoway Girls - Pale Blue Eyes (The Haunted Year: Spring - Greetings From Milford)
  • edited June 2009
    Yeah, in the face of all of those who can't see the potential of that kind of graphics...
    My god, a MI game with that graphics would be... well... can't make sexual references, don't wanna risk to be banned :P
  • edited June 2009
    My god, a MI game with that graphics would be... well... can't make sexual references, don't wanna risk to be banned :P
    Why?

Quite frankly I don't even think that art style fits MI at all.
  • edited June 2009
    That's why you see it as a cartoon, I don't. I see MI1 and MI2 with THAT style.
    But anyway, it was an example, it musn't necessarily be realistic.
    I used it to show the graphics quality I'd like, you can easily apply distortions to make him look more cartoony.
  • edited June 2009
    Just because Monkey Island worked well as a cartoon doesn't mean it can't work well in a more realistic format either. I once again bring up the Twilight Princess style shift in the Zelda series. It's very realistic (still with some minor exaggerated characters, but it's mild). Monkey Island doesn't need to be wacky whimsical exaggerated face-stretched cartoons that run as fast as the road-runner all the time. The fact is any style can suit any franchise if it's done right. Doom could be a cartoon (it arguably is in the first 2 renditions) and it would still work if it was done right. Duke Nukem 3D is much more cartoon than Duke Nukem Forever was ever going to be. A darker Monkey Island game (with intact trademark humour) with a realistic atmosphere can absolutely work and I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE to see it. That's actually how I picture SMI. Not so much MI2, but definitely SMI. CMI was definitely a style change from a more realistic cartoon to a kiddie-cartoon. Wasn't bad, but it definitely dropped the seriousness a notch or five. Didn't hurt it, though. I enjoyed it. As much as I would enjoy an even more realistic Monkey Island than SMI or MI2 ever was.

I think I finally see where you're coming from, Guybrush_Threepwood, and I absolutely 100% agree with you.

I wonder......did everyone who thinks Monkey Island can't work in that sort of realistic style and prefers the cartoon style start their Monkey Island experience with CMI or EMI first? That would explain things.
  • edited June 2009
    Just because Monkey Island worked well as a cartoon doesn't mean it can't work well in a more realistic format either. I once again bring up the Twilight Princess style shift in the Zelda series. It's very realistic (still with some minor exaggerated characters, but it's mild). Monkey Island doesn't need to be wacky whimsical exaggerated face-stretched cartoons that run as fast as the road-runner all the time. The fact is any style can suit any franchise if it's done right. Doom could be a cartoon (it arguably is in the first 2 renditions) and it would still work if it was done right. Duke Nukem 3D is much more cartoon than Duke Nukem Forever was ever going to be. A darker Monkey Island game (with intact trademark humour) with a realistic atmosphere can absolutely work and I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE to see it. That's actually how I picture SMI. Not so much MI2, but definitely SMI. CMI was definitely a style change from a more realistic cartoon to a kiddie-cartoon. Wasn't bad, but it definitely dropped the seriousness a notch or five. Didn't hurt it, though. I enjoyed it. As much as I would enjoy an even more realistic Monkey Island than SMI or MI2 ever was.

I think I finally see where you're coming from, Guybrush_Threepwood, and I absolutely 100% agree with you.

I wonder......did everyone who thinks Monkey Island can't work in that sort of realistic style and prefers the cartoon style start their Monkey Island experience with CMI or EMI first? That would explain things.

Listen to this man for he speaks the truth. That is actually an interesting point about CMI and EMI. I started with SMI and would not mind realistic graphics at all.
  • edited June 2009
    A darker Monkey Island game (with intact trademark humour) with a realistic atmosphere can absolutely work and I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE to see it.
    I don't think it's so much a matter of it working or not, as it is a matter of if it should be done.

Personally I'm not so much arguing against a next-gen looking MI as I'm arguing against the need of, or advisability, of such.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    Just for the record, that LeChuck is totally kick-ass awesome, but it's just not feasible to make a game that high detailed. I could discuss the various reasons behind it, but suffice it to say that I don't think *any* company could make a game of that caliber.

Ignoring the high detail though and just discussing the general style, I think you could make a pretty awesome realistic looking MI game. But it would have a different mood and feel that doesn't necessarily fit the one the designers wanted.

I know this doesn't mean much coming from an employee, but personally I'm really happy with the way we've gone. Every time I load up the game it looks better and better. Whether or not you will ultimately like the style is personal preference of course. Hell, there are even things I would like to tweak and change and I *love* the style. But that's just how artistic things are, everyone has a different preference. Overall though I think most people will like it when they actually get their hands on it.
  • edited June 2009
    There ARE a lot of great games with very good graphics that are not realistic!
    Eternal Sonata, for example, has stunning HD graphics, but anime-style characters and environments

So yeah, I want Monkey Island to have graphics improved
  • edited June 2009
    I'd like to make one thing clear, I love the new TMI and the graphics style and I'm not saying it should change. I'm not even saying TTG should be the group that would ever make a souped up MI game (at least not now). I'm talking a full-length non-episodic epic Monkey Island title that perhaps may have Ron Gilbert on-board and reveal the legendary Secret(TM) once and for all.

Will it happen in all likelihood? No. But would it be awesome? YES. Should it be done? Why the heck not? If it can be done well it should be done. Anything that can be done well should be done.
  • edited June 2009
    I'm happy to play any MI game... hand drawn, 3D, or realistic graphics. I would play it all with a big grin on my face.
  • edited June 2009
    Leak wrote: »
    Looks awesome, just like Doom3's models. And that just killed the Doom franchise... :D

ID's single most commercially successful game, with very positive reviews, voted by the public as game of the year for 2004 for one of the industry's highest awards killed the franchise? I think not.

Doom 4 wouldn't exist if it did anyway.
  • edited June 2009
    S@bre wrote: »
    with very positive reviews, voted by the public as game of the year for 2004 for one of the industry's highest awards killed the franchise? I think not.

First things first: I love Doom 3. The most important thing about it was, that I could buy it in Germany. The first 2 are still on the german index.
    But a lot of people were disappointed by the game. Just look at the user-score of this game at metacritic. Some love it others hate it.
    Even I stopped playing it after I got the chainsaw. That thing made the game much too easy.
    PS: How well did Ressurection Of Evil sell? It was on the german index so I naturally don't have it.

It does look great for a statue or something similar. But I doubt a game with characters like that would be any fun for me and I doubt there are enopugh PCs in the world that could animate 10 models like this in real time.
  • edited June 2009
    Should it be done? Why the heck not? If it can be done well it should be done. Anything that can be done well should be done.
    "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should."

Here's the thing, nowadays there is more than enough technology to actually make a next-gen MI game. Which means that, yes, they can.
    That does not mean it should be made, as no matter how good such game might potentially turn out to be, it may not be needed, relevant, or even worth it.

This is just me arguing semantics really. But it kind of annoys me when people use such strong terms with no real justification.
    The fact that you want something doesn't mean that someone should comply even if they can.
  • edited June 2009
    I think MI1 and MI2 were rather cartoony.

Look at the shape of the buildings, here...
    http://www.mobygames.com/images/shots/original/996770444-00.gif and the backgrounds are probably even more exaggerated in MI2. Not to mention some of the character animations - at one point Guybrush is so surprised that his hair comes off his head, flips around and lands again!

I think that when people describe the visuals of the first two games are realistic, they aren't really looking or remembering it properly. It has always been a cartoony game, it's just that MI3 went for a more exaggerated style which TMI seems to borrow from in several ways.

The other thing going on is, of course that when characters are drawn at such low resolution the mind tends to fill in details that aren't there, so the new designs appear rather simplistic in comparison to my 'imagined' version of the MI1/2 art.
  • [TTG] Yare[TTG] Yare Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    Graphics, gameplay, and writing are not done by the same person. A studio doesn't "trade" one for another. Graphics are limited by the engine, gameplay and writing are limited by the game design. And everything is limited by time and money.
  • edited June 2009
    I didn't say "If it can be done it should be done" I said "If it can be done well it should be done" as in, if somebody has a really good story worthy of the MI name and can make it fit with such a realistic atmosphere than it should be done. I'm not just saying if things can be done they should be. That's stupid.

Also, while I said that I pictured MI1 and MI2 as more realistic that doesn't mean that I don't consider it a cartoon. They're just not exaggerated cartoons like CMI, EMI, and TMI are. They are different. And also I'm not saying it should be completely realistic either. Twilight Priness, despite the realistic style shift, is still a cartoon as well. The characters are even still fairly exaggerated. I'm saying a very detailed mostly-realistic style cartoon for MI (much like Twilight Princess) would be great to see. I'm not saying there can't be cartoon elements, vibrant colours, and eyes bugging out of heads or things like that. I'm saying a style with less of a saturday morning cartoon exaggerated feel like CMI, EMI, and TMI would be welcome. With a darker atmosphere, non-cel-shaded, near top-notch graphics a la Twilight Princess. Seriously, google some Twilight Princess screenshots to see what I mean.
  • edited June 2009
    I didn't say "If it can be done it should be done" I said "If it can be done well it should be done" as in, if somebody has a really good story worthy of the MI name and can make it fit ith such a realistic atmosphere than it should be done. I'm not just saying if things can be done they should be. That's stupid.

Also, while I said that I pictured MI1 and MI2 as more realistic that doesn't mean that I don't consider it a cartoon. They're just not exaggerated cartoons like CMI, EMI, and TMI are. They are different. And also I'm not saying it should be ompletely realistic either. Twilight Priness, despite the realistic style shift, is still a cartoon as well. The characters are even still fairly exaggerated. I'm saying a very detailed mostly-realistic style cartoon for MI (much like Twilight Princess) would be great to see. i'm not saying there can't be cartoon elements, vibrant colours, and eyes bugging out of heads or things like that. I'm saying with less of a saturday morning cartoon exaggerated feel like CMI, EMI, and TMI would be welcome. With a darker atmosphere, non-cel-shaded, near top-notch graphics a la Twilight Princess. Seriously, google some Twilight Princess screenshots to see what I mean.

...your genius is showing.
  • edited June 2009
    I didn't say "If it can be done it should be done" I said "If it can be done well it should be done" as in, if somebody has a really good story worthy of the MI name and can make it fit with such a realistic atmosphere than it should be done. I'm not just saying if things can be done they should be. That's stupid.
    The "well" changes nothing. At heart you're still saying that if it can be done it should be done. Adding the well only defines the thing that can be done.
    More precisely saying "I can make a cake, then I should make a cake" is just one step bellow "If I can make a great cake, then I should make a cake" this sidesteps the issue entirely of whether or not a cake is necessary.

Look, I'm not disagreeing that such game could be really good. I'm disagreeing on your use of "should". Right now there are several videogame companies out there more than able to do just that (although not to the ludicrous amount of detail of that LeChuck model, obviously), but if for some reason MI became a public property then you're telling me those companies should do the game, regardless of any other factors, which simply isn't true. It might be pretty nifty if they did, but the use of "should" makes it as if it is their moral obligation to so.

For the most part, better graphics won't magically make a game better, and they accomplish nothing more that demanding the target audience to have better hardware.
    I'm yet to see a game made in the last 5 years that was better because it had good graphics.

Again, I'm not against the idea of MI game with next-gen graphics. I just don't think it would be necessary or wise to do so.
  • edited June 2009
    When I went back to play Monkey Island one and two for the first time, visually speaking I was playing ANTIQUES ! I had previously played games such as Sam and Max, Day of the Tentacle and Star Trek a final Unity . The first two Monkey island games were low res pixelated games with a nostaligic feeling at best. At least they didn't have pixel hunting like Simon The Sorcerer 1 , speaking of which Simon the Sorcerer has always looked better of than these games. With the exception of Simon the Sorcerer 3D which was visually horrific . That game is hard to play because it looks so bad , I have no idea how good the story actually is.
  • edited June 2009
    Xocrates wrote: »
    The "well" changes nothing. At heart you're still saying that if it can be done it should be done. Adding the well only defines the thing that can be done.
    More precisely saying "I can make a cake, then I should make a cake" is just one step bellow "If I can make a great cake, then I should make a cake" this sidesteps the issue entirely of whether or not a cake is necessary.

Don't tell me what I mean. I know what I mean. And I absolutely don't believe a company should just take the MI franchise and run it into the ground with a bunch of meaningless and heartless renditions that completely separates everything that made MI what it was from the good Monkey Island name. If someone has a good Monkey Island story and has the vision to make it into a game with such high-quality graphics and is in a place to do so, he should. And yes, that's my opinion. So why are you arguing semantics with me based on my opinion?
    Look, I'm not disagreeing that such game could be really good. I'm disagreeing on your use of "should". Right now there are several videogame companies out there more than able to do just that (although not to the ludicrous amount of detail of that LeChuck model, obviously), but if for some reason MI became a public property then you're telling me those companies should do the game, regardless of any other factors, which simply isn't true. It might be pretty nifty if they did, but the use of "should" makes it as if it is their moral obligation to so.

I think you're taking the word "should" way too seriously. What would happen if Monkey Island was never created because Ron Gilbert thought he shouldn't make it? Obviously if someone's got a good idea that can go somewhere it should be done. Realistically there's no way anybody can determine whether something "should have" been made until after the fact when they see how it was received, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't at least attempt it to find out. We'd have no art, entertainment, or even a stable society if everyone thought they shouldn't do things just because they can. Isn't that the very essence of creativity? I write music because I can and I enjoy it. Does that mean I shouldn't do it for just that reason? Your logic is either silly or just plain escapes me.
    For the most part, better graphics won't magically make a game better, and they accomplish nothing more that demanding the target audience to have better hardware.
    I'm yet to see a game made in the last 5 years that was better because it had good graphics.

I never ever once said better graphics would make a game better. In fact for a while I've been fighting that point in earlier graphics complaint threads.
    Again, I'm not against the idea of MI game with next-gen graphics. I just don't think it would be necessary or wise to do so.

I still don't understand why.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.