Grog!

As a non-drinker I imagine the Monkey Island recipe for Grog wouldn't taste as good to me if I took it without rum. Here's the recipe for those of you who haven't played SMI (spoiler tags for those of you who don't want to know until they have played it);

Grog contains one or more of the following:
kerosene
propylene glycol
sulphuric acid
artificial sweeteners
red dye no2
rum
acetone
battery acid
scumm
axle grease
and/or pepperoni

Here's a nice little site with several recipes for grog, including the one above. (I looked it up because I didn't want to copy it out from the game, replaying the same sequence over and over).

Now, I'd always been lead to believe that 'Grog' was customarily a drink made our of whatever remained of booze that had been brought aboard the ship and whatever fruit was going too soft and needed to be used before it went bad. (But hey, it's quite possible that, in those days, it was still used after it went bad).

However, reading up on wikipedia proved me wrong. Although I have seen many 'contemporary' recipes for grog it seems to me that Limes would be the most natural choice of fruit juice if trying to create a sense of authenticity to the flavour.

So what is the general opinion of Grog from TellTale players? Feel free to answer 1 or more of the following questions, you needn't feel compelled to answer all of them.

Have you ever tried it?
If so, have you tried more than one recipe?
Did you like it?
Do you have a preference?
Do you have a recipe of you own?
If you're experienced with cocktails do you feel inspired to experiment with your own recipe? If so please try it and tell us your findings :D

Comments

• edited June 2009
    I love rum, its actually one of the few "strong drinks" (dont know the word in english sorry) that i like to drink pure. Its really tasty and kinda sweet compared with other drinks. Mixed with other things (juices mostly, form strawberry or peach like in daiquiris) is also nice, but its like drinking juice, that tasty falvour of rum is mostly vanished.

Never tried it with lime, but i ll be looking foward to it.

*Fun-fact: in spanish, rum = ron.
  • edited June 2009
    We call strong drinks, such as rum, whiskey, etc, 'spirits' in english.
  • edited June 2009
    Marduk wrote: »
    We call strong drinks, such as rum, whiskey, etc, 'spirits' in english.

In the U.S. "spirits" has kinda gone out of fashion, and might net you some weird looks from the younger population (at least on the East Coast, argh so many dialects of English). "Hard liquor" would suffice, though plenty of people here also just use "strong drinks" as well.

Then again, it also would depend on the drink. Rum, vodka and the like certainly would use "hard liquor" or just plain old "alcohol" from the college age crowd here. While with something like absinthe "spirits" would actually probably still be more appropriate.
  • edited June 2009
    Yeah, I've heard them referred to as liquor in most United State'ian films throughout my life. It never caught on in the UK because it's still the term given to a blue substance used for cleaning the brushes and combs of hair-care professionals (though the term is dying out as it gets more scarcely used).

I always assumed it came from "liqueurs", which are alcoholic syrups which are often encased in chocolates.
  • edited June 2009
    But what DID the actual Grog contain? (the pirates old-version..initial version of Grog).
    If I would like to make some right now, what should I get from the shop across the road? :)
  • edited June 2009
    But what DID the actual Grog contain? (the pirates old-version..initial version of Grog).
    If I would like to make some right now, what should I get from the shop across the road? :)

A light beer of sorts, and rum.
    Then if it tastes foul, add some lime juice.
  • edited June 2009
    Ignatius wrote: »
    I love rum, its actually one of the few "strong drinks" (dont know the word in english sorry) that i like to drink pure. Its really tasty and kinda sweet compared with other drinks. Mixed with other things (juices mostly, form strawberry or peach like in daiquiris) is also nice, but its like drinking juice, that tasty falvour of rum is mostly vanished.

Never tried it with lime, but i ll be looking foward to it.

*Fun-fact: in spanish, rum = ron.

Ron as in Ron Gilbert? Interesting.

In my house rum = delicious! :)
  • edited June 2009
    If you want something that tastes like the scary grog evoked in the Monkey Island games, put a double shot of rum in a pewter mug, add an equal amount of Rose's Lime Juice (not fresh; has to be Rose's for the palate-puckering effect) and top it up with Coke Classic. Drink it before it eats through the mug. You'll regret it less if you add ice...
  • edited June 2009
    I've been trying to cut back on drinks which include battery acid
  • edited June 2009
    Basically it would be rum, sugar and lime/lemon juice.
    Ive heard that the captain that invented this drink was trying to add fruits vitamins to his crew diet to prevent scurvy. Really.
    In with the grog, out with the scurvy
  • edited June 2009
    I made grog once (with rum, hot water, lemon juice and sugar). It was okay, but I think I prefer straight rum. If anyone's interested, I wrote a small section on the history of grog here.
  • edited June 2009
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    I've been trying to cut back on drinks which include battery acid

Yeah, I hear that it's not healthy .
  • edited June 2009
    mmmmmm rum and battery acid..... :)

In ye olde days they put (sulphuric?) acid in alcohol as well didn't they? I read somewhere that they project that tonnes of people died of throat cancer because of this.

In which case, rum and acid sounds about right :p
  • edited June 2009

I actually linked a wikipedia article on the matter all about the history of Grog.

Take the time to look because it's a surprisingly long history :P
    Haggis wrote: »
    I made grog once (with rum, hot water, lemon juice and sugar). It was okay, but I think I prefer straight rum. If anyone's interested, I wrote a small section on the history of grog here.
    That actually is a nice li'l article, thanks :)
  • edited June 2009
    Marduk wrote: »
    I actually linked a wikipedia article on the matter all about the history of Grog.

Wow, Impressive! Thank you, and everybody who suggested recipies!
    I'll try it out and tell you if it's good enough. :p
  • edited June 2009
    I like this idea. I will get some friends together and spend an evening experimenting.
  • edited June 2009
    CalBearRJ wrote: »
    Ron as in Ron Gilbert? Interesting.

In my house rum = delicious! :)

It's spelled the same, but pronounced differently. You roll your r, and pronounce the "o" like the "oa" in "moat."
  • edited June 2009
    I like this idea. I will get some friends together and spend an evening experimenting.

I'd love to hear the results and their reactions. Be careful when using the MI recipe.
  • edited June 2009
    I always meant to do that... get a bunch of friends together to try to make some Grog... but time went by we all got older most my friend are now out of college living in other states and I rarely see them anymore... maybe I can talk my wife into it when the kids are sleeping but she is a light weight coming in under 100 lbs.
  • edited June 2009
    did any of you try a 'grog night' after?
Sign in to comment in this discussion.