Watch MI:SE being played live by lucasarts NOW

Just a quick heads up, in a few minutes LucasArts will be playing The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition while broadcasting it live over here:

http://en.justin.tv/

Have fun!

Comments

• edited June 2009
    Thanks for the heads up! I was wondering when this was.
  • edited June 2009
    I've got it on now, enjoying the music on loop. Don't think I'll watch all of it as I don't want to remember *too* much. Nice to see the Lucasarts mod knows their adventure games.
  • edited June 2009
    Wow... the memories. The music is AWESOME

They need to patch this and the voices in the old-looking version.
  • edited June 2009
    That over exaggerated "psst" is the funniest thing I've heard all day. Haha, excellent voice work on that.
  • edited June 2009
    Hahah yeah the "PSSSSSST" was great
    I also like that they got the same Otis and Carla from EMI :)
  • edited June 2009
    LEC really did a great job on this - it was obviously not a slapdash effort. The updated art is faithful and generally excellent, and the voice work is as impeccable as it is in all the old LEC games, despite dealing with the hurdle of dialog that was not written to be performed. My only quibble would be the fact that there is a narrator for the LeChuck transitions and the Notice about the poodle drugging. I never got the impression that those lines were written with the intention of being read aloud (even in one's imagination). It's not like somebody narrated the "Meanwhile, on Monkey Island" bits in CMI.

Can't wait to buy.
  • edited June 2009
    I forgot there was no Stan until Chapter 2 in that game. Ah well. Can't wait to play it myself
  • edited June 2009
    I'm definitely buying this game! The play-through was awesome!
    My only complaint is that we have yet to be told a friggin' release-date...
  • edited June 2009
    damm it, did i just miss it? I entered the site and there was MI:SE playing in the video on the side (showing stan's ships place), then the guy clicked to see the menu and nothing happens after that.
  • edited June 2009
    Yeah that was the last, it's over now
  • edited June 2009
    Mataku wrote: »
    damm it, did i just miss it? I entered the site and there was MI:SE playing in the video on the side (showing stan's ships place), then the guy clicked to see the menu and nothing happens after that.

Yea you missed the other 59 minutes! :P
    But I guess they'll post it on the tube eventually! =)
  • edited June 2009
    It's been awesome... Indescribable sensations and feelings
  • edited June 2009
    Had a sneak peak. can't see too much, it lessens replay value.
  • edited June 2009
    Here it is for those who arrived late or just want to see something again:

http://es.justin.tv/clip/51614f11159958be

I only saw until the dog encounter in the Scumm Bar, but the music and voice-acting were incredible even for those third-rate characters, I can't wait to see the rest :D
  • edited June 2009
    Here it is for those who arrived late or just want to see something again:

http://es.justin.tv/clip/51614f11159958be

I only saw until the dog encounter in the Scumm Bar, but the music and voice-acting were incredible even for those third-rate characters, I can't wait to see the rest :D

thanx for that. When i was watching the scene in the ally i thought that even if we don't get a MI2:SE at least there's one place from it we know how it'll look like in HD.
  • edited June 2009
    Udvarnoky wrote: »
    LEC really did a great job on this - it was obviously not a slapdash effort. The updated art is faithful and generally excellent, and the voice work is as impeccable as it is in all the old LEC games, despite dealing with the hurdle of dialog that was not written to be performed. My only quibble would be the fact that there is a narrator for the LeChuck transitions and the Notice about the poodle drugging. I never got the impression that those lines were written with the intention of being read aloud (even in one's imagination). It's not like somebody narrated the "Meanwhile, on Monkey Island" bits in CMI.

Yeah, definitely.
  • edited June 2009
    This is indeed a must buy :D i really hope they consinder redoing more. 2D adventure games still is king :)
  • edited June 2009
    I like everything except for the character animation, which actually looks more disjointed than the original.
  • edited June 2009
    puerulus wrote: »
    I like everything except for the character animation, which actually looks more disjointed than the original.

Yeah, that tends to happen when you increase the level of detail without increasing the framecount. They match everything frame-for-frame with the original sprites, which is nice, but has kind of clunky results.
  • edited June 2009
    The playthrough looks pretty good, and it shows some attention to detail.

I do have one doubt about the game, concerning the inventory. Basically, the grog puzzle depends on being able to see the inventory while walking, so I wonder how this is dealt with?

Probably they will have the new item alert flash when the grog mug status changes, but just wondering.
  • edited June 2009
    For the grog puzzle I'd imagine it would appear in the top right like it does when you pick up an item.
    I found myself forgetting i was watching a video and pressing enter to select dialogue =s

also, sounds like they used Earl Boen for Fester Shinetop which i'm glad to hear. nice touch. certainly sounded like him anyway
  • edited June 2009
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    Yeah, that tends to happen when you increase the level of detail without increasing the framecount. They match everything frame-for-frame with the original sprites, which is nice, but has kind of clunky results.

When you picture the remake as a pop-up story book like they said they were going for it's actually not so bad and kind of fitting.
  • edited June 2009
    Also bear in mind the video was jerky, that's probably part of what you were seeing.
  • edited June 2009
    Amazing! I don't even found the new look of Guybrush distracting. The music is simply great and I like Le Chuck's voice and spooky look.

I will love to visit Monkey Island again with this remake!
  • edited June 2009
    Am I the only one who doesn't want to see anything of the Special Edition (and Tales for that matter) before I actually play it myself? You can probably guess that I'm the kinda person who hates seeing the trailer of a film they want to see - I purposely avoided every piece of Star Trek promotional material before I saw the film, for example.

EDIT:

I realise that it's actually just about impossible to not see or read or hear anything about a game or film I'm interested in due to the fact that I gravitate towards the source of all these things but I do try to limit my exposure as much as I can.
  • edited June 2009
    ^You're not alone at that... I've had SO many ruined experiences...
  • edited June 2009
    I feel like I've seen enough of it now to know it'll be great. If I can avoid the temptation, I'll avoid the next set of playthroughs.
  • edited June 2009
    Yeah... I watched a little just as a preview but turned it off after the Loom pitch... I want the rest to be played like its supposed to.
  • edited June 2009
    I have that attitude about Tales, but not about the Special Edition.

First of all, the Special Edition is a game I've already played.

Secondly, this one is done by LucasArts, and I simply don't have as much faith in that company as I have in TellTale.

And finally, it's a remake. I think I had to watch through the first two parts of the playthrough to really gauge things like "does it look good?", "how is the music?", "How's the animation?", and "Do the voices work?" You have to have a bit more criticism with remakes, because these things that are part of a game's quality are now the ONLY new things.
  • edited June 2009
    I guess I am not as anti Lucasarts... I want to experience all the sound, voice acting, and background art at home.
  • edited June 2009
    I see no reason to be pessimistic. Jim Ward is gone.
  • edited June 2009
    I also dont want to watch... Despite being a huge MI fan I actually remember very little about the original as I played it after 2 and 3 and just couldn't get into it at such low resolution.

Thats why the remake is the second best thing that's ever happened to me.
  • edited June 2009
    I watched to the SCUMM bar because I was curious, and I was hoping for a little more commentary from Lucasarts staff. That said the atmosphere in the room was great.
  • edited June 2009
    Whens it out?
  • edited June 2009
    PariahKing wrote: »
    I see no reason to be pessimistic. Jim Ward is gone.

And I'm so glad! He was a real ass. :p
  • edited June 2009
    Whens it out?
    mid summer I think
  • edited June 2009
    Why oh why can't telltale get Earl Boen for tales? He IS lechuck almost as much as Dom is Guybrush
Sign in to comment in this discussion.