OMG! The Trial and Execution of Guybrush Threepwood!

That's how Episode 4 is called. Will we see Guybrush... die? We probably will, but I assume it will be in a similar fashion to Curse of Monkey Island :-P

I can't wait for the first episode to come and get to play a new Monkey Island. Thanks Telltale for making us so happy! :-D

Comments

• edited June 2009
    Or perhaps it won't actually be Guybrush being executed, but someone posing as him?
  • edited June 2009
    Haggis wrote: »
    Or perhaps it won't actually be Guybrush being executed, but someone posing as him?

Oh lol :D

That reminds me of like the episode of Red Dwarf "Cassandra" where Rimmer was told he would die to which he gave the guard his jacket with his name tag on it to which the guard died instead of heart attack :D
  • edited June 2009
    It occurs to me how those words carry different meanings even within the same context. There are many things "tried" and "executed" which have nothing to do with legal justice.

For instance, software is tried and executed (although we tend to say "implemented," it means the same thing). Most ideas are tried before their execution too.

I'm not going to speculate on the stories now. I'd rather let the art and craft flow over me.
  • edited June 2009
    Could be hes put on trial and has to clear his name by the end of the episode, maybe a bit like when he got framed for robbery on Lucre Island in EMI
  • edited June 2009
    Or we could end in a reverse Monkey Island, where we play as the
    Ghost Pirate Threepwood against the very human LeChuck.
    :p
  • edited June 2009
    It wouldn't surprise me if it's just TTG messing with the hardcore fans a bit. With such discussions about story etc, what would be the absolute most heinous crime any game developer could think of? Killing off Guybrush obviously. Oh, there would squadrons of soldiers with torches and pitchforks heading towards the HQ.
  • edited June 2009
    Could be hes put on trial and has to clear his name by the end of the episode, maybe a bit like when he got framed for robbery on Lucre Island in EMI

Yeah, I had same idea. Though I'd think Guybrush will botch things up and will either be sprung from execution on the absolute last second Blackadder goes forth-style or the execution fails due to pure luck.
    Then again Sam & Max
    died halfway through Night of the Raving Dead and went on as Zombies,
    and given the great amount of undead in the Monkey Island stories that might be a possibility to.
  • edited June 2009
    Yeah, it'd be great seeing Guybrush as a zombie and LeChuck as a human! Great idea!
  • edited June 2009
    He shall be reborn as the Pirate God mentioned in the next episode's title, obviously!

I kind of hope they build up the execution dramatically, and then end the episode a split second before it's made sure he's gonna die. That would be awesome tension-building across episodes.

An alternative is ending it as his head is separated from his shoulders and lingering on it for a bit. Have the next episode preview voiced by another character.

There a a billion ways to bring him back from such a scenario, including a Dallas-like "it never happened"(as a nod to MI2, "How could you/Guybrush be dead if you're/he's sitting right there?"
  • edited June 2009
    He could just be sentenced to a marooning.
  • edited June 2009
    I am in favor of an undead/zombie Guybrush (see avatar). I just love this idea that the roles of Guybrush and LeChuck will be reversed as the story progresses. Poor Elaine is caught in the middle of the unfolding charade. Of course, Guybrush cannot stay undead. He must prevail in the end.
  • edited June 2009
    mhaley wrote: »
    I am in favor of an undead/zombie Guybrush (see avatar). I just love this idea that the roles of Guybrush and LeChuck will be reversed as the story progresses. Poor Elaine is caught in the middle of the unfolding charade. Of course, Guybrush cannot stay undead. He must prevail in the end.

But would this cause an outcry among the fanbase I wonder?
  • edited June 2009
    Yeah, I had same idea. Though I'd think Guybrush will botch things up and will either be sprung from execution on the absolute last second Blackadder goes forth-style or the execution fails due to pure luck.
    Then again Sam & Max
    died halfway through Night of the Raving Dead and went on as Zombies,
    and given the great amount of undead in the Monkey Island stories that might be a possibility to.

Your spoiler would have been better had you left the words 'Sam & Max' unspoilered so people like me had an idea on what you were spoilering. Did not expect a Sam & Max spoiler in a Monkey Island thread, and am disappointed now :(
  • edited June 2009
    But would this cause an outcry among the fanbase I wonder?

If it does I'd say the fanbase is getting way too picky and they shouldn't even be playing new MI games. Stories are stories. And the ones written by Tell Tale are good. And it's not going to be permanent anyway as Guybrush must always prevail in the end, so...why not?
  • edited June 2009
    Romav wrote: »
    Your spoiler would have been better had you left the words 'Sam & Max' unspoilered so people like me had an idea on what you were spoilering. Did not expect a Sam & Max spoiler in a Monkey Island thread, and am disappointed now :(
    Yeah.
  • edited June 2009
    PariahKing wrote: »
    Yeah.

All good he has fixed it now :)
  • edited June 2009
    If it does I'd say the fanbase is getting way too picky and they shouldn't even be playing new MI games. Stories are stories. And the ones written by Tell Tale are good. And it's not going to be permanent anyway as Guybrush must always prevail in the end, so...why not?
    I'd have to agree. In my mind, the one thing worse than an unfaithful sequel is a sequel that is so bent on being faithful that it refuses to do things that might strengthen the narrative and make the story stand strong on its own.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.