The Lost Lords was SLOOWWWWWWW

2»

Comments

• Yet, you took the time to read my opinion then comment on it.

Funny how that works.

Dubz13 posted: »

i'm sorry, but I just can't stand 'wannabe' videogame reviewers....you don't work for any real company or are a critic of any sort in the professional sense. bloggers are honestly just the worst.

• I agree. Iron from Ice was the prologue, setting up the story and the characters. The Lost Lords is the true episode 1, where the story truly begins and unfold.

Yes, the Lost Lords was indeed much slower than Iron from Ice, but there was a good reason: numerous new characters and storylines were bein

• I suppose my irritation can best be summarized with a very simple bit of choice. Specifically, the fact you can steal Margaery Tyrell's seal in the first chapter and yet you can forge a letter without the seal to no apparent consequence in the second chapter. It is where, for me, the illusion of choice breaks down.

Likewise, the choice for Sentinel of the House proves to have no real bearing on events because no sooner does Ethan die than Rodrick comes back from the dead, meaning who you chose to put in charge of the House is subordinate to whatever your wishes were.

Did you persuade Ramsay Bolton to let the Foresters keep half their Ironwood? Lord Whitehills overrules that decision immediately. An immaterial choice which represented progress in saving the Forrester's legacy is, effectively, rendered pointless.

The sequence with the Night's Watch is taken up too much with demonstrating how to use a sword, crossbow, and the brawling sequence which leads to a fairly tame subplot about a stolen knife. Compared to the Red Wedding and the murder of Gared's family, this all feels fairly unimportant in the grand scheme of things.

I approved of both the engagement plot as well as the Asher sequences but I can't help think both deserved to have more expansion on. Poor Mira has a murder plot against her but the Tyrion sequence takes up much of the story without any real sense she's involved other than to make an appearance. Sera is revealed to be a bastard but we don't have any plot to go with it. It's just exposition.

And a good part of Rodrick's story is spent helpless and imobile.

You are welcome to disagree but the events just seemed less consequential.

• On the first point, we're only two episodes in: we don't know what the consequences of Mira's actions will be yet. It's inevitable that Margery will eventually find out if you forged the letter with or without the seal. We can't expect every episode to keep the tempo Iron from Ice did, just wait till about the 4th or 5th episode and we'll find out the consequences of her actions. I'm not sure whether the stealing/not stealing the seal thing will be of any relevance, as forging the message is the major event. But who knows- as the episodes go on, there might be consequences to whether or not you steal the seal and use it to forge the letter. TT aren't going to cram all sorts of different events into each episode, and I prefer it that way- Iron from Ice, as I said, was so full of action because it had to set up the entire story. Now E2 has really set the ball rolling- slowly at first, but the pace will pick up and I can guarantee that everything will come to a head around episode 5 or 6.

I think the choosing the sentinel part was just filling space and it actually made Ethan's death more shocking. Ethan was just starting to settle in as a Lord- making his first judgement on a thief, meeting Lord Whitehill and choosing his Sentinel- and then all of a sudden he's dead, just like that. The unpredictable turn of events really set the tone for the series, and all that stuff about choosing a sentinel was just to lure us into a sense that things were getting back under control. And you also said that you disliked E2 because "nothing of consequence" happened- well, most of E1 was devoted to choosing a Sentinel, something which in the end seems to have no consequences at all. So how is E1 any better than E2 then? It had a brilliant ending, sure, but otherwise neither episode had too much of consequence happening. In fact, E2 had a lot more important moments- choosing whether or not to kill Damian, whether or not to forge the letter, etc.- than E1 did.

I thought persuading Ramsey to let you keep half the Iron wood was determinant? Anyway, it may be determinant but it does make sense- of course Lord Whitehill is immediately going to overrule you, since he's in a position of power over the Forresters. But I think your missing the fact that it isn't in Ironwrath were the whole Iron wood situation is being decided- Mira is negotiating with Tyrion, and the outcome of those negotiations will ultimately decide the whole Iron wood situation. In that sense, then, Mira has arguably the most important role of all the Forresters.

Okay, so maybe that whole Gared thing was just in order to fill time, but that happened a lot in E1 as well (eg; talking to people about the Sentinel). And overall it may come to be of importance- we just have to wait and see. Throughout that whole sequence you basically have to decide whether you trust Cotter or not, and those early encounters form the basis for later relationships.

• edited February 2015

Not everyone finds them lackluster ya know. Plus, its how Game of Thrones works, "satisfying" conclusions won't come till later after they get through the necessary story development some people find "slow"

Talimancer posted: »

But they wont in any episode... If they didn't have this buildup and had their choices reach an earlier climax they wouldn't come out as lackluster as they do.

• edited February 2015

Yep, there's a reason episode 1 has 'your story begins' at the end. And anyone who's read Martin's books should know that episode 1 was a fitting prologue, as I believe they all have one thing in common?

I agree. Iron from Ice was the prologue, setting up the story and the characters. The Lost Lords is the true episode 1, where the story truly begins and unfold.

• Man, you gotta love that clickbait title :P

• no, I just read your dumb thread which took seconds....never even clicked the link to your blog site to read a review from some random gamer

Yet, you took the time to read my opinion then comment on it. Funny how that works.

• Hi Charles, I didn't read your review, so I can only address the statement that there are, in your opinion, too many characters. I feel just the opposite about it. I enjoy the fact that the game stays true to the book series in that regard, and I feel deeply involved in each character I'm playing. Telltale did a fantastic job in that regard. I suspect that you are not a very straightforward person, and in contrast I am perhaps too much of a disturbed individual with a multiple personality disorder ;) So maybe this type of game is simply not your thing. I also think that there are PLENTY of choices one is forced to make. It's quite nerve wracking and a lot of fun. I have played TWD and TWAU, and loved those games as well. I almost didn't want to play GOT but am so glad I changed my mind. The choices in GOT seem of more consequence, and are extremely involved. It's the intrigue and politics that engross me so much. May I suggest something, please? Start playing the episode over and try some bolder choices - maybe that will do the trick. As Mira, for example, steal the key and sigil, kill your attacker and keep the knife. If you have done that anyway and still don't find satisfaction in the game then I feel sad for you. It's such great game! I have one other idea that might help you enjoy it more: don't think of each of your characters as individuals but rather as a group, a unit with ONE goal - to save the Forrester House! And you are the head of that group who guides them to reach that goal. Maybe that way you'll feel more invested, because that's what you need to be in order to be victorious. It is a huge advantage that you are able to tackle your problems from different fronts. :)

• You're new....Welcome to the Forums. If you need any help around the place you can ask me or the Mods.

• Thanks for telling me about not reading my article! That means I don't have to read past that line.

:-)

• Thanks, GoldenPaladin.

You're new....Welcome to the Forums. If you need any help around the place you can ask me or the Mods.

• Well, I wanted to tell you this but you never responded to my original comment.

I do enjoy reading your blog and although I don't always agree with your review or opinion (Like on this one), I do enjoy reading it.

Thanks, GoldenPaladin.

• Sorry, I just read this comment after I replied to your original post. You mention that choices don't make a difference - but you don't know that in the long run. Yes, Ethan dies anyway - but maybe it's important how he will be remembered. Yes, you don't "need" the sigil to write the letter, but maybe in a future episode it'll bite you in the ass. The thing is to ENJOY the moment, and not go about it thinking "ah, it makes no difference what I do." But you don't know what will make a difference and what won't. It is more fun to believe your choices matter. And that is a choice as well. Decide wether you want to give up on thinking it matters or just have fun with it. In order to stay on track with the story line it just can't branch out into too many different directions. So your choices might not matter in every outcome, but they matter in regards of how your individual game plays out and how your characters will be perceived by the NPCs. That's good enough for me :)

• i completely disagree. i really enjoyed both the first and second episode of the series. the only real flaw is the fact that I wish we could have seen more of gared :P

• I don't know what game your were playing but I felt immersed in the gameplay, it felt like the choices you made will really make a difference in the long run based on the "Next time on GOT" and the game was not too fast yet not too slow.

• I bet you did read past it anyway :p

Thanks for telling me about not reading my article! That means I don't have to read past that line. :-)

• yeah, i totally agree. i feel like the stats at the end only list the most important decisions, but there are tons of small ones, too. GoT really proves how much telltale has grown in its storytelling. the choices really do feel like they matter! hopefully TWD s3 is as good as GoT!

Nightmare1 posted: »

I don't know what game your were playing but I felt immersed in the gameplay, it felt like the choices you made will really make a difference in the long run based on the "Next time on GOT" and the game was not too fast yet not too slow.

• Thank you, GP! :)

You're new....Welcome to the Forums. If you need any help around the place you can ask me or the Mods.

• No problem. Almost always here.

VicMasina posted: »

Thank you, GP!

• I hope TWD S3 is also as god as GOT

jules_v_g posted: »

yeah, i totally agree. i feel like the stats at the end only list the most important decisions, but there are tons of small ones, too. GoT r

• Thanks so much for your patronage of my blog. I also expected this review to be controversial.

Some people may find it great.

I didn't.

I'm still picking up the next, though.

Appreciate the traffic!

Well, I wanted to tell you this but you never responded to my original comment. I do enjoy reading your blog and although I don't always agree with your review or opinion (Like on this one), I do enjoy reading it.

• my apologies...my little rant wasnt towards you..i believe eveyone has the right to criticism and opinions...it was towards the extremist fans.

I'm sorry if you think criticism equals death threats. I liked the game enough to give it a six. I just felt the pace needs to be sped up and more events of consequence.

• dojo32161dojo32161 Moderator

I felt like the first episode was incredibly slow and boring at times while this episode finally picked up the pace, but that's just me.

• edited March 2015

I can understand slow, but I still don't understand how anyone can say Episode 1 (or Episode 2 for that matter) are boring

Yeah, I know its their opinion and and all but that's how all political stories, whether medieval or modern, start. They have a "slower" build (that still contain crucial events to the story so they are important parts), leading up to a much more intense conclusion of events.

dojo32161 posted: »

I felt like the first episode was incredibly slow and boring at times while this episode finally picked up the pace, but that's just me.

• Filler comment!

Sign in to comment in this discussion.