Which version of SMI:SE will you buy?!

I have an Xbox 360 but am fairly skeptical about downloading the special edition on the arcade. I probably will simply so it will get more money, unless the price is ridiculous. So what do the people of the ToMI forums plan on doing?

Comments

• edited June 2009
    Don't own an XBOX, so PC version it is.
  • edited June 2009
    Eh, I'm perfectly fine with SMI the way it was originally created, so the most exciting part of the remake for me is the prospect of future remakes.
  • edited June 2009
    couch+ 37" tv sells the xbox version for me. plus my good for nothing laptop wont take the heat
  • edited June 2009
    Probably both :D
    thanatos56 wrote: »
    Eh, I'm perfectly fine with SMI the way it was originally created, so the most exciting part of the remake for me is the prospect of future remakes.

I love SoMI exactly how it is but it has to sell well before they'll remake any others...
  • edited June 2009
    I do not own a 360 but even if I did I would still get the PC version.
  • edited June 2009
    360. I'll save the PC purchase for a possible CD edition which is pretty much impossible on consoles :D. That being said, I am curious about the achievements it will have.
  • edited June 2009
    I have an xbox but will stick to the pc version... besides I use my pc monitor for both the xbox and the pc so there isn't really any point getting the xbox version. Also I much prefer using a keyboard and mouse for these sorts of games.
  • edited June 2009
    Hi lets Not do a points and click adventure game with a analog stick. Hello a analog stick is not a mouse:(
  • edited June 2009
    I usually have a ton of Microsoft Points anyway so I'll pick up the 360 version just to grab the achievements and show off that I can do Monkey Island :p I'll pick up the PC version for the main one.
  • edited June 2009
    Xbox because of HD and Dolby Digital, also 40' Full HD TV
    Yay!
  • edited June 2009
    Ill probably get the 360 version, but ill check the system requirements for the pc version when theyre available, just to make sure, coz i would prefer pc.
  • edited June 2009
    I'm going to buy PC version, although I don't know if I will buy it when it comes out. Otherwise I would buy it ASAP, but I heard that there's slight chance that it will be also available in CD-ROM or DVD later and I don't want to buy same game twice.

I'm old school and I like to have physical copies of the games if possible. I still play adventure games from companies which have been out of business more than a decade because I have original floppies or CDs.
  • edited June 2009
    plrichard wrote: »
    This isn't about TMI, it's about The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition.

:confused:

You said that already in the name of the thread.
  • edited June 2009
    you can always just make your own box like me!:)
    (need work on the back-mostly robbed from MI1!) my photoshop skills really are 3rd rate
    Attachment not found.
  • edited June 2009
    This isn't about TMI, it's about The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition.

i realised that as i posted it! my mistake, post deleted
  • edited June 2009
    tmsmyth4 wrote: »
    i realised that as i posted it! my mistake, post deleted

Way to make me look like an idiot, lol!
  • edited June 2009
    Way to make me look like an idiot, lol!

:p lol didnt expect anyone to be so quick off the mark! (btw, im not one of those morons who get the 2 mixed up!)
  • edited June 2009
    :p lol didnt expect anyone to be so quick off the mark! (btw, im not one of those morons who get the 2 mixed up!)

Haha, it's fine, that's a pretty nice cover by the way, what does it say on the back?
  • edited June 2009
    lol cheers,
    Same text as the SoMI box- 'ear-piercing reggae music' 'eye-gouging 2d graphics' etc etc! gonna redo the back at some point with new text, all i did was add the new screenshots and a dodgy logo at the top
  • edited June 2009
    I'm old school and I like to have physical copies of the games if possible. I still play adventure games from companies which have been out of business more than a decade because I have original floppies or CDs.

Awesome, you sound a lot like me. :-)

But be sure to make backups of your floppy disk game collection. They tend to degrade over time. I did this myself recently and feel a lot more secure about my collection.
  • edited June 2009
    Does anyone know how SMI will be released on PC? Will it be off of Steam, or Lucasart's website? If I have to download off Steam, I'll be getting it for XBLA. Steam just gives me trouble.
  • edited June 2009
    I believe a Telltale staff member said it would be through Steam in another thread

EDIT: check emily's post in this thread http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9251
  • edited June 2009
    Please. God. No.
  • edited June 2009
    I believe a Telltale staff member said it would be through Steam in another thread

EDIT: check emily's post in this thread http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9251

Alrighty.

360 version it is, then.
  • edited June 2009
    I personally don't mind Steam but I worry that the adventure gaming market is not the same one that will use Steam to play a game. There are people who pirate Steam games simply because they refuse to play with Steam.

I just hope that doesn't become an issue and hurt the sales and the possibility of future SE remakes. :/
  • edited June 2009
    PariahKing wrote: »
    I personally don't mind Steam but I worry that the adventure gaming market is not the same one that will use Steam to play a game. There are people who pirate Steam games simply because they refuse to play with Steam.

I just hope that doesn't become an issue and hurt the sales and the possibility of future SE remakes. :/

I have Steam account, but I haven't bought anything from them. I created it only because my friend told me that he had bought some strategy games with a cheap price, but once I created my account I did find out that it was just a weekend offer and the prices were considerably higher.

I rather buy directly from developer than from any 3rd party, but since that doesn't seem to be an option, I hope that it will be available in other webshops too. I would rather buy it for example from Telltale shop than from Steam, because I prefer smaller webshops which are specialized to certain types of games rather than from the Wal-Mart of the Internet gaming.
  • edited June 2009
    Damn, tough choice cause I have a PC and 360. I could get it for PC for the good old times and for how it should really be played but with the 360 version you have achievements which I try and get if I can with most 360 games and they always are useful for replayability values.
  • edited June 2009
    What is so bad about Steam? I mean, is there any big difference from downloading a game through Telltale's store?
  • edited June 2009
    You don't need to install some stinkin' client to run Telltale's games.
  • edited June 2009
    Install and run a client. A client that, when I used it, was pretty loud and intrusive.

There's no resale of a game bought through Steam, INCLUDING retail games which just rubs me the wrong way. I buy a physical disc in a store, I do NOT expect that disc to then be permanently tied to an account for a DIGITAL DISTRIBUTION portal.

The minimum specifications of Steam have changed in the past to exclude the 98 and ME operating systems. What if they decide to stop supporting my operating system before I'm done using it?

Default auto-update, with no way to roll back in case of glitches caused by the updates.

They use the consumer as guinea pigs, the client "calling home" to tell Valve about my hardware and gameplay stats.

There is no alternate method of verifying Steam games than the online activation. No email to support for a code or phone number.

Plus, there's the fact that Steam is a huge third party store. With the exception of Valve itself, I'm not buying the games direct from the publisher. And with the PC games I like to play, I'm often in a position that would allow me to buy direct from the publisher rather than giving someone that didn't make the game some of the cash.

I don't see the benefit of Steam, especially when there are only one or two games that I care for on the system. Space and system resources are a commodity, I don't want to waste them on some digital watchdog if I don't have to.
  • edited June 2009
    I really hope it isn't Steam only for PCs simply for the fact that the FPS/Adventure game crowds don't really mix. Well. Beyond Portal. I could see that hurting sales.

Of course game piracy hurts sales and Steam does help with that, so maybe it'd balance out.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.