What will graphics be like on an ATI Radeon 4670 w/ 512 MB?

I just had to buy a new computer (my old one came down with a nasty virus.) I was wondering, will it be possible to get the full graphical experience of TMI with a ATI Radeon 4670 512 MB graphics card?

Thanks!

Comments

• edited June 2009
    ATMachine wrote: »
    I just had to buy a new computer (my old one came down with a nasty virus.) I was wondering, will it be possible to get the full graphical experience of TMI with a ATI Radeon 4670 512 MB graphics card?
    Well, it's about half as fast as my ATI Radeon 4850, but then again Telltale's games aren't eating graphics cards for breakfast so I'd say yeah, you should be able to run it on full settings, albeit maybe with a framerate dip here and there.

np: Fink - Q & A (Sort Of Revolution)
  • edited June 2009
    Look at that isue of PC GAMER. Honestly ill do it for you right now. Holy ... your videocard might be on the back cover of the magazine for serious.:eek: WAIT you bought a new computer because your old one had a virus? um ? don't get married.
    Oh ill look for a bit but is it the Radeon HD 4670
    If i were you i would just make sure your ram speed "memory" is at least 800 MHz. Thats the 2nd fastest speed of the ddr2 memory. almost comon on new pc's
    I havent quite pinpointed the card yet but if it isnt "eye candy" enough the price and quality of the Radeon HD 4770 is calling.
    Sorry this keeps dragging a bit, im a Nvidia fan.
  • edited June 2009
    ATMachine wrote: »
    I just had to buy a new computer (my old one came down with a nasty virus.)

Hint for the future if your pc comes down with a nasty virus a clean swiping of your hd and resetup of your os does the job more cheaply than buying a new PC ;-)
  • edited June 2009
    Wallace&Gromit runs fine maxed out on a 256 megs Geforce8600GT, and an Ati 4670 is about three times as fast as that - I know since I've been looking for a cheapo replacement for over a year now but couldn't be ar*ed to spend the money just yet. I hardly own a single game that lags on this. And prices are falling rapidly - new chips are still being introduced once in six months or something.

Here's the minimum and recommended requirements for W&G, which give you a general idea of this Telltale thing:

Operating system: Windows XP / Vista (Vista64 unsupported)
    Processor: 2.0 GHz or better (3 GHz Pentium 4 or equivalent recommended)
    Memory: 512MB (1GB recommended)
    Video: 64MB DirectX 8.1-compliant video card (128MB recommended)
    Sound: DirectX 8.1 sound device
    DirectX®: Version 9.0c or better

A 128MB DirectX 8.1- compliant video card is listed as the recommended requirement - DirectX 8.1. compliant video cards date all the way back to 2002ish or 2003ish. I'd guess your 2008ish 4670 will be overpowered, if anything. Unless you're going to run this on a 30" screen in its native resolution. :D Whilst not being the fastest of cards, you can run much more technically advanced games on this just fine.
  • edited June 2009
    Make sure you have at least 800 MHz ram... Its Important.
  • edited June 2009
    jared25 wrote: »

System memory or video memory? Usually the memory chips of Ati 4670s are clocking in at 873 or 1000 Mhz, depending on the model. I think there's some that are coming in at lower than this, maybe silent models, that means cards that don't come with an active fan for cooling and thus are completely "silent".

In terms of DDR2 system memory 800Mhz chips are now becoming fairly "obsolete", what with DDR3 slowly becoming the new standard and most 2GB DDR2 1066 kit sbeing cheaper than a preorder of Tales Of Monkey Island. :eek: Not sure any new system would ship with anything lower. Plus, system memory speed is fairly overrated.
  • edited June 2009
    I think he means 800MBs not Mhz. Big difference.
  • edited June 2009
    That's why he wrote AT LEAST 800 Mhz
  • edited June 2009
    i think he means the speed of ram at least 800 mhz - imo i doubt you'll see a any difference between 500/677 mhz and 800 mhz. i think your rig will run the game just fine, its hardly a gfx card intensive game. i ran sam and max on a p4 with an old radeon 9200 128mb virtually maxed out i doubt tmi needs much more than that.
  • edited June 2009
    jared25 wrote: »
    Make sure you have RAM - and at least 1 GB of it.

Everything else (like it's clock speed) is not going to make a dent of more than a few FPS, which you'll hardly notice.

np: Markus Guentner - Such A Shame (Audio Island)
  • edited June 2009
    Excuse my naive question: shouldn't the recommended requirements be what you need to have it at full graphic settings?

Or are "recommended" to be intended "still mininum but safer"??

And, it that case, what would be the "full-meal-gimme-it-all-yo-oh-oh" requirements?
  • edited June 2009
    well, recommend means "recommend", otherwise it would be called "minimum" :D

and minimum usually means the hardware you need to play it smooth with the lowest graphic settings

usually "recommend" means the configuration you need to have the best experience with the game, high grafic details, smooth gameplay and so on...

@the-800mhz-ram-thingy:
    he MEANS 800mhz ram, cause he said it twice (post 3+6) and yeah, it's bullsh*t...
  • edited June 2009
    Cyphox wrote: »
    @the-800mhz-ram-thingy:
    he MEANS 800mhz ram, cause he said it twice (post 3+6)

800 Monkey-Hertz ram, I presume.

So, should I be able to ram 800 monkeys in 1 second, or 1 monkey 800 times per second, or 2 monkeys 400 times per second... right?

I fail to see how this would make the game any better, tough...

Of course, in Soviet Russia monkeys ram you.

Cyphox wrote: »
    and yeah, it's bullsh*t...

Monkey business, indeed.
  • edited June 2009
    Anyhow.

If a XBox live member could ram-member to ram monkeys, how many monkeys would a XBox live ram-member to ram?

800!

Per second.

No pun intended.

Oh well, maybe just a little.
  • edited June 2009
    I god, I didn't even think about that. I hope my computer runs it ok... I will crrry if it doesn't!
  • edited June 2009
    the ops pc will walk all over it - read the system requirements on the store page - my old pentium 4 with a 128 megabyte radeon 9200 would run it. the 4670 is capable of running most if not all modern games decently. a laptop with a 64 mb gma4 intel chip would probably just about run it!!
  • edited June 2009
    Back on track:

I've got an Athlon XP 2200+ with 768Mb of RAM and an ATI Radeon 9500 Pro (128Mb).

It runs decently W&G in 1024x768 at graphic level 4.

Simply put: should I bother to upgrade to an Athlon XP 3000+ with 1Gb RAM?? (i.e. the "recommended" requirements, and also the faster CPU available for my mobo).

Thanks anyone for answers! :)
  • edited June 2009
    GozzoMan wrote: »
    Back on track:

I've got an Athlon XP 2200+ with 768Mb of RAM and an ATI Radeon 9500 Pro (128Mb).

It runs decently W&G in 1024x768 at graphic level 4.

Simply put: should I bother to upgrade to an Athlon XP 3000+ with 1Gb RAM?? (i.e. the "recommended" requirements, and also the faster CPU available for my mobo).

Thanks anyone for answers! :)

it depends how well tomi runs with less than 1 gig of ram. play the game first and see how it performs - if your hard drive is constantly grinding and slowing the game down because it keeps running out of ram and making swap files then deffinitly.

your current cpu is clocked at 1.8 ghz? thats kind of near the minimum since its a rather cpu dependent game i believe because of the low gpu requirements, a cpu upgrade may also be worth it.

and since the cost of the upgrade would be pretty cheap yeah why not if all you really play is telltale and other low speced games. allthough you may be back to square one with the next game you want to play.
  • edited June 2009
    Useful answer, jamiehavok, thank you :)

(Yes, the real clock is 1.8Ghz)
  • edited July 2009
    GozzoMan wrote: »
    (Yes, the real clock is 1.8Ghz)

See what this says about anything Ahtlon XP and beyond. 1.8 Ghz or no, this rating is 2200+ for a reason. I had an Athlon 2200+ myself. Users of modern systems might tell you a story about the "significance" of real clock speeds. So when Telltale says "Pentium4 3.0 Ghz recommended", it applies to the Pentium4 series of chips and that alone.

I'd wait to see if the demo runs well. I mean if W&G runs fairly well on a system that apparently is hovering around the minimum requirements all the same, ToM could very well too. :)
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2009
    Generally speaking, WG and TOMI are pretty darn similar in terms of computer needs.
  • edited July 2009
    I hope ATMachine can play with the graphics settings turned up high, so he can keep cranking out high-resolution comparison images for his awesome essays on character evolution :D
  • edited July 2009
    Oh, well, what the heck...! I've taken the jolly occasion to max up my old PC to its mobo limits: an Athlon XP 3000+ and 2Gb of RAM... all plundered off eBay of course :p (Grog bless eBay.)

But nothing's too much for ToMI!! :D

Just 333 Monkey-Hertz RAM, though, I'm afraid... :p:p

Edit: Oh, my aforementioned old PC's name is "Spugna"... the Italian name of Smee :D
Sign in to comment in this discussion.