Subtitles

Hi, I would like to pre-order Tales of Monkey, but I have a question: do the game has subtitles?

Comments

• edited June 2009
    The initial release will have English language with optional English subtitles. Different language versions will be released at a later unspecified date.
  • edited June 2009
    How can you be sure they'll add other languages?
  • edited June 2009
    thin029 wrote: »
    They probably won't be adding subtitles after the fact as with all other games, but if some company picks the completed game up to sell it on a disc in your region it's bound to get localized...

np: Aesop Rock - Easy (Bazooka Tooth (Headphone Science Version))
  • edited June 2009

I think they said somewhere on the forums that more languages (subtitles only) will be added later. I don't remember which thread, specifically.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    At some point we will almost certainly create a version with other language subtitles (or maybe even voice), but I'm afraid the "when" and "how" hasn't been decided yet. Sorry! In the past, we have released the game in English online, then a company in your local country translates the game and sells it in stores. Unfortunately this means we might not necessarily have the translated version available online. All of this depends entirely on licensing agreements and that sort of thing, and since none of that has been finalized we just don't know what the situation will be.
  • edited June 2009
    Since that's the case I'd love to see Portuguese voices and/or subtitles :D

I think EA tranlated Curse and Escape to Portuguese back when
  • edited June 2009
    can we get it in Braille?
  • edited June 2009
    Will wrote: »
    At some point we will almost certainly create a version with other language subtitles (or maybe even voice), but I'm afraid the "when" and "how" hasn't been decided yet. Sorry! In the past, we have released the game in English online, then a company in your local country translates the game and sells it in stores. Unfortunately this means we might not necessarily have the translated version available online. All of this depends entirely on licensing agreements and that sort of thing, and since none of that has been finalized we just don't know what the situation will be.

well...
    I want a spanish translated subtitle version

I don't know how hard is add a set of subtitles in other languages (i don't care voices), but isn't it a good strategy and idea add them in the worldwide release? Is so hard or expensive have a guy translating the dialogs and stuff to other languages? Is hard to insert those sets in the game?

In the past the MI games, a game with a long tradition and worldwide fans was released multilanguage at the release day, even SMI with their old graphics in 1990.

Why do you not take in account this? Please do it!!

Because if nobody wants to pick and translates the game in a spanish speaking country, we'll never see such a translated version!! Or you already have any agreement in progress? thanks in advance
  • edited June 2009
    Will wrote: »

I buy the game for wiiware.
    There are hopes that an update will be added the subtitles in other languages?
  • edited June 2009
    Irishmile wrote: »
    can we get it in Braille?
    You'll see... :p

np: Aesop Rock - Garbage (Float)
  • Macfly77Macfly77 Moderator
    edited June 2009
    With all those billions of threads requesting multi-language, poly-subtitled versions of TOMI, I'm confused... will there be an English version of the game?
    Please, say yes... I mean how hard can it be?
    I'm pretty sure Dominic Armato speaks some English and it can't be that hard to find other people who do for the other parts (wait, are there even gonna be any other speaking parts in the game? I read somewhere - probably on this forum - that Telltale is cutting costs by making the game a text adventure game, is that true?!? Will the text be in English?!?!?).
    Telltale, listen to the players FOR ONCE:
    WE NEED AN ENGLISH VERSION OF THE GAME!

PS: Telltale, while you're at it (and if you have time, what with reviving legendary video game franchises and all), could you translate my post for non-English speakers? Thank you!
  • edited June 2009
    Is the poster above drunk or something?
  • edited June 2009
    Hardly any games is translated to Swedish (THANK YOU GOD) but in my opinion when they do it just kills the jokes. Games are meant to be in English (My humble opinion).
  • Macfly77Macfly77 Moderator
    edited June 2009

It sure does look like it, if you ask me.
    Wait a second... did you ask me?
  • edited June 2009
    Ah, I see your sarcasm detector is in dire need of service... give the repair shop a call, they should have it fixed in record time.

np: Markus Guentner - Regensburg (Wassermann Mix) (Speicher CD1)
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    As stated on our Monkey Island FAQ:
    Will I be able to play Tales of Monkey Island in my mother tongue?

That depends. If your mother tongue is English, then you're in luck! If it's not English, well, you won't be able to yet. We do hope to localize Tales of Monkey Island in the future, but initially the episodes will be English only.

Let's keep all the posts on this topic in the same place. There's a thread here about foreign language versions.

Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.