Get the Sham Wow Guy to do the voice of Stan !

I want Billy Maze (The Sham Wow Guy ) to be the voice of Stan !:p

Comments

• edited June 2009
    Not finding anything on IMDb I turn to wiki, where all I find is this guy... I tried variations of the spelling, too.

Maybe you can enlighten us as to what you mean by 'sham wow'? Because all I can think of is shaman, world of warcraft. And with 2 differant sexes and 4 races that can be shaman I don't know how many people do the voices, but I do feel somewhat certain that it's the same voice for every class in those races, not just shaman.
  • edited June 2009
    doodo! wrote: »
    I want Billy Maze (The Sham Wow Guy ) to be the voice of Stan !:p

Well, seeing as the last we heard of him was that he was arrested for beating up a prostitute who bit off his lip (and I'm sure voice-work is a breeze when you're missing part of your lip), I really doubt it'll happen.

By the way, his name is Vince Shlomi (stage name Vince Offer) not Billy Maze.
  • edited June 2009
    Marduk wrote: »
    Not finding anything on IMDb I turn to wiki, where all I find is this guy... I tried variations of the spelling, too.

Maybe you can enlighten us as to what you mean by 'sham wow'? Because all I can think of is shaman, world of warcraft. And with 2 differant sexes and 4 races that can be shaman I don't know how many people do the voices, but I do feel somewhat certain that it's the same voice for every class in those races, not just shaman.

He's referring to this guy who did the infomercials for "Sham Wow" here in the US. He's been parodied a lot here, but a few months ago was arrested for beating up a hooker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns4mnmNBk1Y
  • edited June 2009
    Do you mean Billy Mays the OxyClean guy or Vince Offer the ShamWow guy?
  • edited June 2009
    Billy Mays isn't the ShamWow guy. The ShamWow guy's name is Vince Shlomi. Billy Mays is the spokesman for OxiClean, Kaboom, ESPN360, etc...
  • edited June 2009
    He's been parodied a lot here, but a few months ago was arrested for beating up a hooker.

and then he's been parodied more?:D
  • edited June 2009
    I didn't hear about his incident with that woman -crazy stuff.
  • edited June 2009
    I actually think Billy Mays would be the funnier choice. He's a funny guy, and probably more recognizable in the long run. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Mays Most famous for Oxy-Clean, but he and another guy (also not the Shamwow guy) have a TV show now.
  • edited June 2009
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    I actually think Billy Mayz would be the funnier choice

:rolleyes: You could be right .... (Bunch of Lenos in here ) I don't follow their careers of saleing junk , I made an error , I was referring to Billy Mays .
  • get the guy from CMI to do it. MI4 stan sucked
  • edited June 2009
    I think both those [ShamWow informercial] guys would suck.

Sorry.
  • edited June 2009
    I think both those [ShamWow informercial] guys would suck.

Sorry.

I agree. Besides, Stan is more of a used car salesman type than the infomercial type. The voice from CMI was GREAT and spot on of how i imagined he would sound. Escape Stan...not so much.:confused:
  • edited June 2009
    To be honest, neither CMI nor EMI Stan really had the voice as I'd heard it in my head. The way the animation is, and the shape of his mouth, in MI1 and MI2, had me thinking of him as more of a fast-talking, with maybe a higher-pitched twangy voice.

I don't think they could use Billy Mays, though, because everybody who voices Stan needs to be named Pat.
  • edited June 2009
    Personally, I'd hate Billy Mays as Stan. That guy just annoys the hell out of me. Like all the yelling. Does the yelling increase sales? If I buy some Oxy-Clean will you stop yelling?
  • edited June 2009
    For reference:

Curse of MI: Stan appears around 6:30
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH5o2BvWlSg

Escape from MI: Stan appears around 1.30
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnehiuTuIn8

Personally I prefer CMI Stan, but they're both pretty fitting. I wouldn't be upset if it wasn't the CMI Stan, and I think it's something that doesn't have to be consistent, as long as the character doesn't change.
  • edited June 2009
    The way the animation is, and the shape of his mouth, in MI1 and MI2, had me thinking of him as more of a fast-talking, with maybe a higher-pitched twangy voice.

In that case, how about the micro machines guy?
  • edited June 2009
    Looked at this thread a while back and was too lazy to post. If you weren't around in california in the 70's or 80's, you may not have heard of this guy, but I'm pretty sure Cal "I will stand upon my head to make a deal" Worthington was at least a partial inspiration for Stan.
  • edited June 2009
    I guess Billy Mays is out of the running :(

http://news-briefs.ew.com/2009/06/billy-mays-passes-away.html

He was just on The Tonight Show the other night, so this feels really sudden and weird. :(
  • edited June 2009
    I guess Billy Mays is out of the running :(

http://news-briefs.ew.com/2009/06/billy-mays-passes-away.html

He was just on The Tonight Show the other night, so this feels really sudden and weird. :(
    Agreed. Just found out about this too, and I'm really going to miss watching Pitchmen on the Discovery channel. I imagine they have some episodes stored up though, but it's going to be strange to watch now.
  • edited June 2009
    Well it can't be Billy Mays anymore, he's dead.
  • edited June 2009
    And now comes that weird guilty feeling you get with the knowledge that someone you spoke against is dead...

...Is it just me, or are the celebrities dropping like flies right now?
  • edited June 2009
    His death is rather fishy if you ask me . A wealthy 50 year old man dies in his sleep !???!?!?!?!? He picthed a lot of inventions for the people and I think one of the big three knocked him off.
  • edited June 2009
    Jexxer wrote: »
    ...Is it just me, or are the celebrities dropping like flies right now?

It's the credit crunch. Yet another thing we can blame on deregulation.
    doodo! wrote: »
    His death is rather fishy if you ask me . A wealthy 50 year old man dies in his sleep !???!?!?!?!? He picthed a lot of inventions for the people and I think one of the big three knocked him off.

His plane had a burst tire a day or two beforehand. Brain trauma is almost completely undetectable until you collapse, at which point your chances are not good. Happens surprisingly often, and being asleep at the point that he would otherwise have lost consciousness would just make it worse.

Watch me be completely disproved by the pathologists now :p
  • edited June 2009
    I think both those guys would suck

o_rly.jpg
  • edited June 2009
    Looked at this thread a while back and was too lazy to post. If you weren't around in california in the 70's or 80's, you may not have heard of this guy, but I'm pretty sure Cal "I will stand upon my head to make a deal" Worthington was at least a partial inspiration for Stan.

Aha! That's pretty close to exactly how I pictured Stan's voice. CMI and EMI both had valid takes on it, though.
  • edited June 2009
    Billy West would be ideal (actually, Phil Hartman doing Lionel Hutz would be ideal, but West does a pretty good apporximation of Phil), channeling Zapp Brannigan.

Alternatively, David Leisure, he of Joe Izuzu fame back in the 80s would have just enough smarminess.
  • edited June 2009
    We can work around this. Just use his British counterpart; Barry Scott!
  • edited June 2009
    Originally Posted by Jucius Maximus
    Aha! That's pretty close to exactly how I pictured Stan's voice. CMI and EMI both had valid takes on it, though.

Yeah, I grew up watching those wacky commercials (that "Go see Cal" theme song will be etched in my mind forever), so I imagined his voice for Stan the first time I ever played SOMI.
  • edited June 2009
    I had always wandered why somebody was wearing in coyboy hat in a pirate town.
  • edited June 2009
    Stan already has a voice actor though...
  • edited June 2009
    fire2box wrote: »
    Stan already has a voice actor though...

He has two. Wouldn't kill him to get a third :)

I'd be fine with either of the previous ones, or a new one.
  • Dave GrossmanDave Grossman Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009

Most definitely. Though none of us had ever actually tried to buy a car from Cal, so Stan's sales techniques are taken from classic stereotype instead.

Cal would be great as Stan, but he's 88 and I don't think he does much voice-over work any more.
  • edited June 2009
    Most definitely. Though none of us had ever actually tried to buy a car from Cal, so Stan's sales techniques are taken from classic stereotype instead.

Cal would be great as Stan, but he's 88 and I don't think he does much voice-over work any more.

Wow, thanks for confirming a lifelong suspicion, Dave!

My man Cal wouldn't be caught dead letting his signature 10 gallon hat clash with a plaid sportcoat, though. From the neck down, Stan is all this guy
Sign in to comment in this discussion.