Day of the tentacle coming next??

Was surfin the net, found this article on videogamer:
Telltale wants to make episodic Day of the Tentacle
By Wesley Yin-Poole - 19/06/2009 - 2:38pm GMT
Says it’s ‘feasible’.

Great news for Day of the Tentacle fans. If Monkey Island Special Edition, the LucasArts-developed remake of the classic point and click adventure, and Telltale Games’ upcoming brand new episodic Tales of Monkey Island, prove popular, a brand new episodic Day of the Tentacle game is “feasible”, Telltale has revealed.

Hope that this is true Telltale, because DOTT is definitely up there with monkey island ;)
Some good times coming up rolleyes:

full article: http://www.videogamer.com/pc/day_of_the_tentacle/news/telltale_wants_to_make_episodic_day_of_the_tentacle.html

Comments

• edited June 2009
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Day of the Tentacle a little more obscure do to having less games in the series? It's just Maniac Mansion and DotT, right?
  • edited June 2009
    its still quite possible, providing lucasarts feel its worthwhile giving Telltale control of the licence. And Im sure they will, ToMI is bound to sell well. It wouldnt have to be a direct sequel, perhaps bringing back characters from Maniac Mansion :D
  • edited June 2009
    how can this type a game fit into an episodic format?
  • edited June 2009
    Mataku wrote: »
    how can this type a game fit into an episodic format?
    I was thinking that too. Both previous Maniac Mansion titles have been set in a completely free-roaming environment; throughout the entire games, you moved around in the same relatively huge areas, freely switching between several characters.

Dunno how you'd divide that up between five or six episodes.
  • edited June 2009
    Well, that would be simply wonderful!! :D
  • edited June 2009
    They would have to take a similar approach to ToMI. One large game split into chapters. But you're right, it may lose some of the appeal the original games had-chapters dont quite fit a game like DoTT. Then again, I'd trust Telltale to come up with a way around this which makes the franchise feel fresh incorporating the episodic format. Maybe taking control of a new character each episode-Allthough for me, switching between them was part of the appeal.

I had given up all hope on MI5 a month ago, and the fact that that we are even contemplating this 2weeks before Tales makes me feel spoilt/greedy.
  • edited June 2009
    I would love it! Both for a remake and for an episodic series from Telltale.
  • edited June 2009
    Maybe for a Maniac Mansion title you could play as a different kid for each episode. Say 4 kids. And then have the ability to switch between them on the last episode (assuming the episodes were connected as chapters like TMI is).
  • edited June 2009
    Many years ago there was a fan project called Maniac Mansion Mania which was basically a series of small Maniac Mansion games each designed by different people - there must have been fifteen of them. I don't remember if it was AGS or what but they basically had an engine set up where people could use sprites from the original game and make their own mini MM game with relative ease, and the results were actually pretty good. The concept was the same as the first game - solve a bunch of puzzles within a single, large location - but it was just on a smaller scale. I'm not saying that's necessarily how someone has to approach episodic Maniac Mansion, but it has been done!

Also, yeah, if the Maniac Mansion franchise is continued it should be thought of as the third Maniac Mansion installment, not DOTT2. What makes the series so special is that thanks to DOTT any additional installment could have literally whatever visual style, brand of humor, and plotline it wants. Literally the only story-related similarities DOTT has with the first game is the inclusion of Bernard (who was a supporting character in the first game who might have had ten lines of unique dialog) and the Edisons (who are completely different characters than they were in Maniac Mansion). To me viewing any potential future Maniac Manson game as "a sequel to DOTT" would be a pretty big disservice to a series that has set a trend (even if only with two games) of being completely different each outing aside from the concept of three characters thinking their way through a big house. The first Maniac Mansion was a sendup of cheesy horror/scifi flicks, and DOTT was a celebration of Chuck Jones. I would expect any third installment to go its own way with regard to inspiration.

EDIT: Oh wow, apparently Maniac Mansion Maniac episodes are still available. There are seventy-five of them to date. Looks like only the first two episodes and some random others have English translations (and apparently I translated the first few and weirdly completely forgot about it), but take a look!
  • edited June 2009
    I'd definetly hope for one or two more seasons on Monkey Island if this is a success. DoTT was a good game, but there are plenty of good games around.
  • edited June 2009
    I must have been the only person to play Maniac Mansion before Day of the Tentacle and not consider it the Day of the Tentacle franchise.

More than that, I must be the only person in the entire universe that is underwhelmed by Day of the Tentacle, possibly due to the fact that I didn't play it until substantially later. But compared to Monkey Island and Sam and Max Hit the Road, it just never felt as witty. The puzzle design was pretty good, I have to admit, but the overall atmosphere just never grabbed me.

Another issue I have is that I don't think that Telltale should become the "LucasArts Adventure Game Division". Other than perhaps Loom, I can't see myself being overly excited about the thought of yet another LucasArts property from Telltale. And I'd only care to see Loom from them because I'd be happy to see ANYONE take on Loom(and I'd love to see Telltale do a serious, epic adventure sometime).

More exciting, to me, would be a new IP from Telltale. I understand that licensing brings with it a built-in audience, but I do think that they're building the infrastructure capable of handling the distribution of a new series.

Or maybe a Grickle game. ;)
  • edited June 2009
    Yeah, would love to dive into those characters again <3
    Or even new characters in the same mansion..Oooh.
  • edited June 2009
    Eurogamer: Is there a particular LucasArts IP or any game you would love a bash at in the future?

Dave Grossman: Um, I try not to be too picky. If I was going to do one of those little Lucas properties I might even do Loom. Not sure how popular that would be. I always thought it was good.
    Loom could do just fine. Im not gonna be picky either, just keep them coming.
  • edited June 2009
    DOTT is right up there with CMI if you ask me. I LOVED both games but I'm not sure how an epsodic release would work. It would almost feel like remaking a film simply because the first one sold well, and doing it just for the sake of it without having a good plot or story line
  • edited June 2009
    It would be interesting to play MM in episodic form who knows what they could come up with, for all we know it could be as some suggested a different kid with each episode where you view the story from their own different perspectives
  • edited June 2009
    Though it might or might not work for Maniac Mansion, I love that idea. Each episode being set during the same time, but seen from the eyes of different characters. : o
    And each episode could cause occurances and happenings from one of the previous ones that weren't really explained.

I have no idea how you would turn that into some really clever puzzles, though.
  • edited June 2009
    Udvarnoky wrote: »
    Oh wow, apparently Maniac Mansion Maniac episodes are still available. There are seventy-five of them to date. Looks like only the first two episodes and some random others have English translations (and apparently I translated the first few and weirdly completely forgot about it), but take a look!

Those episodes look real fun, will try some out. But it is a big shame only a few of the first season epsiodes have been translated into english. And my german is as good as the English of my dog:rolleyes:
  • edited June 2009
    HeyArnold wrote: »
    Those episodes look real fun, will try some out. But it is a big shame only a few of the first season epsiodes have been translated into english. And my german is as good as the English of my dog:rolleyes:
    My dog understands me perfectly, thank you very much! Sure, his comprehension is better than his composition, but he's working on it. Honest!
  • edited June 2009
    Actually Maniac Mansion would be probably a perfect fit for Telltale. Since the game usually plays around the Mansion of the Edisons a lot of location stuff can be recycled. I rather doubht Telltale would pull another time travel game like DOTT was (although the scenes with Washington were the funniest)
  • edited June 2009
    It's really good to hear that Dave is considering LOOM. That game needs to be finished. The ending has always bugged me. I love the game so much, but the ending is so unfulfilling.
  • edited June 2009
    I have been quite a fan of Loom too. It would be very nice to have a sequel indeed.

I still think Maniac Mansion would be even nicer tough :)
  • edited June 2009
    Yes, Maniac Mansion. Not DOTT.
  • edited June 2009
    Yes, Maniac Mansion. Not DOTT.

meh... sorry dude but most of got into the series through DOTT which is very loosely based on the original. No offense, but maniac mansion for me is pretty much unplayable, a game where you need to explore to complete puzzles yet if you explore too much you will be punished with death. DOTT is totally different, it barely resembles the first and i think i'm not alone when i say that DOTT should be the game they should take influence from.

Oh yeah, and it's easier to say dott sequel because the second one wasn't called maniac mansion 2.
  • edited June 2009
    ^ I have to agree. Maniac Mansion is unplayable for me as well. I even tryed looking at a walkthrough (yes, blasphemy, I know) and I couldn't figure out how did some of those puzzles make sense.
    Especially the ideea of cleptomania from the adventure games...in this game you don't have to pick up everything, but you can pick up many useless things... like the ones from the fridge, for instance.
    DOTT should have a sequel. I considered maniac mansion to be for DOTT, like The Hobbit is to the LOTR trilogy. Oficial, but not as good.
  • edited June 2009
    werpu wrote: »
    Actually Maniac Mansion would be probably a perfect fit for Telltale. Since the game usually plays around the Mansion of the Edisons a lot of location stuff can be recycled. I rather doubht Telltale would pull another time travel game like DOTT was (although the scenes with Washington were the funniest)

I think time travel would work very well for Telltale if it was only limited to a few days or weeks back/forward.
    It would help them recycle the environments even more ^_~
  • edited June 2009
    Except the Maniac Mansion franchise isn't built around time travel. I should know, I played the original on an Apple II and never even played Day of the Tentacle until relatively recently(a couple years ago).

...Seriously, did NOBODY ELSE play the first game first?
  • edited June 2009
    Except the Maniac Mansion franchise isn't built around time travel. I should know, I played the original on an Apple II and never even played Day of the Tentacle until relatively recently(a couple years ago).

...Seriously, did NOBODY ELSE play the first game first?

I've played the first one first, but i didn't like it.

However, i agree. The series isn't based around time-travel. The series is based around the mansion. Both games are centered around the mansion and i think sequel should be as well, but maybe they can expand from that. Maybe something happens to the mansion... who knows, telltale are a pretty creative lot, there are countless ways they could do a sequel.

However, time-travel shouldn't be a focus for a sequel. The time-travel was a clever tool to make the sequel fresh while faithful in spirit. The sequel should have its own tool to keep the mansion concept fresh.

p.s Is it me or is dott 'the terminator 2' of the maniac mansion series ;) hopefully a sequel won't be like terminator 3 plotwise.
  • edited June 2009
    I think the reason a lot of people don't like Maniac Mansion is that they go into it with the wrong mindset. They expect it to be like later LucasArts adventures games when it's really more in the vein of the old-school Infocom and Sierra games. The designers didn't expect the player to just sit down and beat the game in one sitting and on their first attempt. It's a game that expects you to play it numerous times. Every time you screw up and need to start over, you've learned something about the world of the game, and that information will be useful the next time you play. Through trial and error and after myriad deaths and mistakes, you're finally able to figure exactly what it is you need to do to beat the game, and at this point you'll be able to play through the entire story from start to finish in about fifteen minutes.

Anyway, once you see the game for what it is, you can start to appreciate the beauty of its design. It's a small contained world with a simple story, but it seems huge and limitless because of all the possibilities it presents you with. Different kids have different skills, abilities, and restrictions. There are multiple solutions to puzzles and multiple endings. The game was extremely non-linear and was unique and innovative in ways that very few adventure games have been since.
  • edited June 2009
    I think the reason a lot of people don't like Maniac Mansion is that they go into it with the wrong mindset. They expect it to be like later LucasArts adventures games when it's really more in the vein of the old-school Infocom and Sierra games. The designers didn't expect the player to just sit down and beat the game in one sitting and on their first attempt. It's a game that expects you to play it numerous times. Every time you screw up and need to start over, you've learned something about the world of the game, and that information will be useful the next time you play. Through trial and error and after myriad deaths and mistakes, you're finally able to figure exactly what it is you need to do to beat the game, and at this point you'll be able to play through the entire story from start to finish in about fifteen minutes.

Anyway, once you see the game for what it is, you can start to appreciate the beauty of its design. It's a small contained world with a simple story, but it seems huge and limitless because of all the possibilities it presents you with. Different kids have different skills, abilities, and restrictions. There are multiple solutions to puzzles and multiple endings. The game was extremely non-linear and was unique and innovative in ways that very few adventure games have been since.

i think i'll give the first game another chance, but i don't think trial and error is what maniac mansion 3 should be built on though. Mulitple endings and solutions are interesting although i prefer a storyline set in stone.
  • edited June 2009
    I'm not saying a Maniac Mansion 3 should be based on the first game. I'm also not saying it should be based off of DOTT either, though. I want a new story. Perhaps featuring some of the kids from the first game. Or brand new kids even (maybe the children of some of the kids from the first game?). Just as long as it's a completely new story, plot, and antagonist. I don't want a repeat of DOTT I want another new game based on the Maniac Mansion universe. That's why DOTT was so good, in fact, because it was a brand new story that didn't recycle much of anything from the first game.

And whoever said that DOTT barely resembles MM doesn't know what they're talking about. DOTT is called MM2.
  • edited June 2009
    well their was originally 6 characters designed for dott.. So a new series could be about the other 3 that didn't make the game
  • edited June 2009
    I'm not saying a Maniac Mansion 3 should be based on the first game. I'm also not saying it should be based off of DOTT either, though. I want a new story. Perhaps featuring some of the kids from the first game. Or brand new kids even (maybe the children of some of the kids from the first game?). Just as long as it's a completely new story, plot, and antagonist. I don't want a repeat of DOTT I want another new game based on the Maniac Mansion universe. That's why DOTT was so good, in fact, because it was a brand new story that didn't recycle much of anything from the first game.

And whoever said that DOTT barely resembles MM doesn't know what they're talking about. DOTT is called MM2.

yes... it sure is called mm2... http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/79/Day_of_the_Tentacle_artwork.jpg look it says it right on the cover! :rolleyes:
    (at the very best on some covers you might see the name maniac manson somewhere, but find me a cover with 'maniac mansion 2' on it. Just because people sometimes refer to it as maniac mansion 2 doesn't mean that it is called that.)

It doesn't resemble it in the blunt sense, only one of the main cast of heroes returns. The rest are new heroes. It doesn't have the same mood, humor, art style etc. It has deadends, you can die in it while dott is far more forgiveable. That's barely touching on how little it resembles the first game. It resembles it in a more subtle ways such as the wackiness and the fact that it takes place in the mansion, yet it is a very very very... very different beast of a game. :cool:

But i agee that the next one should be very different from the first two, although i would be crushed if the dott trio wasn't at least in it.
  • edited June 2009
    Now this would be awesome.

yeah Maniac Mansion would be perfect, because it really has to be based in or around some kind of big house / mansion, one of those bigger on the inside than on the outside, with all kind of wierd stuff and secrets!!! :D:eek:
  • edited June 2009
    That's a fanmade poster. All the official box artwork has Maniac Mansion on the front cover and the edges. Look at the top left. And it doesn't need a "2" there. It's a given that it's the second in the series especially since it's labeled as a Maniac Mansion game.

Describing the differences between the first and second games also amounts to nothing as game design changes. Just because the first game incorporated some game design elements that are drastically different from the second doesn't mean that the second isn't any more of a sequel than CMI or EMI is from SMI and MI2. In fact, MI2 is so drastically different from SMI in terms of artwork and puzzle design that by your logic we can't call MI2 a true sequel either. And not that it matters, but you can't die in the first MM, there are only dead ends. And it isn't just one character who returned from the first game, there's also the entire Edison family and both tentacles. They were all in the first game. It also takes place in the same building as the original game.

So yes, DOTT barely resembles the first game in terms of game design (except for the rotating between 3 kids element which is the trademark of a Maniac Mansion game), but that has nothing to do with questioning whether DOTT is a sequel to Maniac Mansion or not.
  • edited June 2009
    That's a fanmade poster. All the official box artwork has Maniac Mansion on the front cover and the edges. Look at the top left. And it doesn't need a "2" there. It's a given that it's the second in the series especially since it's labeled as a Maniac Mansion game.

Describing the differences between the first and second games also amounts to nothing as game design changes. Just because the first game incorporated some game design elements that are drastically different from the second doesn't mean that the second isn't any more of a sequel than CMI or EMI is from SMI and MI2. In fact, MI2 is so drastically different from SMI in terms of artwork and puzzle design that by your logic we can't call MI2 a true sequel either. And not that it matters, but you can't die in the first MM, there are only dead ends. And it isn't just one character who returned from the first game, there's also the entire Edison family and both tentacles. They were all in the first game. It also takes place in the same building as the original game.

So yes, DOTT barely resembles the first game in terms of game design (except for the rotating between 3 kids element which is the trademark of a Maniac Mansion game), but that has nothing to do with questioning whether DOTT is a sequel to Maniac Mansion or not.

1. your right about the title, i typed it in to google image for a cover and got mixed up. But even though it doesn't need the 2, you still said it was called 'maniac manson 2' so i'm going be petty and stick with that. ;)

2. mi1 and mi2 are different in artwork? are you kidding? mi2 has exactly the same art style only more detailed. I mean i'd agree with your point if you compared mi1 to mi3 but that's not a great argument. The puzzles weren't that different, i don't really see how they were different. Could you give me example?

3. I recognised it as a sequel but it still barely resembles it in my opinion. The characters that you mentioned that do come back are completely redone, they are reimagined and some of their personalities are totally altered like dr edison.

Look, you aren't going to convince me on this one. Although they may have links here and there, for me maniac mansion was such a different experience to dott. When i play dott i don't feel like i'm playing the sequel to maniac manson, i feel like i'm playing something far different. You could probably make two seperate series from each of the games with their own timelines because they were so different.
  • edited June 2009
    Why is Day of the Tentacle better ? Let me count the ways when I can count up to that high ! Seriously you have to wrapped in nostalgia or be desperate to play someting like Maniac Mansion ! Games like DOTT are far more playable , enjoyable and life like ... Maniac Mansion is a quarky linear game with no real story ... It's inferior the engine , the game play, the stupid death scenes. It's really like choosing between a well delivered Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles book and a Dictionary ! That is how un-evolved and un-intellectualized and inferior it is to DOTT . It's an antique with many cob webs ! FFS don't go back to Maniac Mansion it doesn't have a story worth going back to and it hasn't captivated nearly as large an audience as Day of The Tentacle has ...DOTT has the vision and character to stand the test of time , a primitive dinosaur fossil like Maniac Mansion DOES NOT !
  • edited June 2009
    Hero1 wrote: »
    well their was originally 6 characters designed for dott.. So a new series could be about the other 3 that didn't make the game

It's a good idea although call me narrow-minded but i really wouldn't want to play it if it didnt at least star the dott trio.
  • edited June 2009
    Ok, you're narrow-minded :p.
  • edited June 2009
    Ok, you're narrow-minded :p.

:D dang you got me! But to be fair my excuse is that not having the original cast from dott for me would be like replacing guybrush for another character. I don't mind what they do plot-wise etc. I dont want it to be nothing more than a dott clone. However, without the original dott trio it just wouldn't be same for me. Most of the excitement of a new game is to see a return of my favourite characters, benard and leurene.

When i got excited for the return of sam and max, i wasn't excited to see it because of the plot, locations, puzzles and humor, it was because i wanted to see the characters return.
  • edited June 2009
    doodo! wrote: »
    Why is Day of the Tentacle better ? Let me count the ways when I can count up to that high ! Seriously you have to wrapped in nostalgia or be desperate to play someting like Maniac Mansion !
    Call me Mister Desperate.
    dooo! wrote:
    Games like DOTT are far more playable , enjoyable and life like ... Maniac Mansion is a quarky linear game with no real story ...
    Anyone who says that Maniac Mansion does not have a story or style must not have actually played the game.

The game was an outright parody of B Horror movies. It was excellent atmospherically. With multiple endings and a variety of ways in which parts of your cast could die while still allowing you to go on, it really just added to the atmosphere. Of the two, yeah, I heavily prefer the original on the quality of the storytelling through a video game.
    It's inferior the engine , the game play, the stupid death scenes. It's really like choosing between a well delivered Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles book and a Dictionary ! That is how un-evolved and un-intellectualized and inferior it is to DOTT . It's an antique with many cob webs ! FFS don't go back to Maniac Mansion it doesn't have a story worth going back to and it hasn't captivated nearly as large an audience as Day of The Tentacle has ...DOTT has the vision and character to stand the test of time , a primitive dinosaur fossil like Maniac Mansion DOES NOT !
    A horribly harsh and inaccurate list of complaints, especially considering what you're talking about. Why is Day of the Tentacle not a dinosaur? Or do we have to wait the four years in-between the release of Maniac Mansion and Day of the Tentacle before the latter qualifies for "Dinosaur Status"?

"Un-intellectualized"? How? Day of the Tentacle is about a bunch of time traveling kids that have to deal with caricatures of history's icons. How is that not a stupid cartoon? How is that "intellectual"? The puzzle design? Because there are multiple solutions to many puzzles, depending on what character you chose. I don't see how that is "un-intellectual" in terms of puzzle design, and in fact it's something we don't really see in Adventure games since.

"The engine"? Well of course it'll be less technically advanced. It was released earlier. But the fact that Zork doesn't have graphics does not mean that I think you have to be an idiot to play it, especially since Zork takes place in a pretty amazingly unique universe and pretty much created the conventions of the adventure genre.

Simply slamming a "primitive" label on Maniac Mansion reeks of an inability to see the value in things that have come before. In fact, there are a wide variety of ways in which the original game actually is better than the game that comes after it.
    But to be fair my excuse is that not having the original cast from dott for me would be like replacing guybrush for another character.
    Look at the cast of Maniac Mansion.

Then the cast of Day of the Tentacle.

Obviously, the FRANCHISE isn't built around these characters. They're an aspect of the universe and they are very likely to be featured simply for this fact, but them HAVING to be playable seems a bit ridiculous to me.

If the first game did not share the same characters as the second, then it's nowhere near the same thing. That's the problem with a new Maniac Mansion game, everyone would expect it to be Day of the Tentacle 2, nobody even knows there's another game in the series. How can they go forward faithfully with a series when they know that, marketability-wise, they'd be best off ignoring all the conventions of the first game.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.